Masters Running

Wet Wednesday, 5.23.12 (Read 461 times)

King of PhotoShop

This just in, for those who visit Dallas to run the White Rock Marathon:  it won't be the White Rock Marathon any more.  Name is offically changed to the MetroPCS Dallas Marathon.   Spareribs

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I am so sorry to read of your mom's passing Tramps.   Your tribute to her is very touching, and you are right, we should all be so lucky.   

Did all you wimmin see MikE's picture yesterday!?   He has 6-pack abs!!

Holly - I'd find that frustrating too and would probably work in a sarcastic comment to get both sides thinking.   Especially if I had a glass of wine....or two.

Dave59 - take care of yourself!! 

JLynne - I don't think I like your doctor's attitude.  Sad 

It is funny how we react under similar circumstances, in Holly's case I would see the the situation as my way to have a vacation from the dishes Smile

Mariposia, I was just thinking about you and how you live life to the fullest, always finding the joy in everything.    Here is just another example.   So today it is beautiful outside and my co-worked needed to run errands at lunch.   I grabbed my keys and said, let me drive you!   We had a wonderful ride and had a sandwich together.

Yesterday DH cut his thumb at work and had to have 5 stitches put in.    He was a little restless last night, and I was either waking up hot or cold almost ever hour, so I stayed in bed this morning.   Of course, now I am kicking myself for doing so.     I was worn out to begin with after having my niece, husband and 3 small children over for dinner last night ..... yikes.....it was all I could do not to have another beer.  Roll eyes     Cute kids, but lacking in discipline.  

So, I just have to show you what my hubby bought me for Mother's Day to put on my Jeep.   Once we take the hard top off I'd like to get a pic with at least two of the dogs sitting in the jeep on each side of the cover.   I think it should be Hudson's mom and dad too.

Happy Hump Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

lamerunner

Good afternoon.  Warm and humid here in NH. Tramps, very sorry to hear of your mother's passing but good that it was peaceful and even better that she had a full life. Wave when you go by Manchester!

Holly, I understand your frustration. .... families aren't easy.

Great to see Karin pop in, the tireless traveler. 

I am jealous of Mike and Carolyn out there in Colorado getting ready to run in Wyoming. Should be fun...!

I am still feeling like quite the hamster.  Today a rather claustrophobic one; there were people on each of the nearby machines..  My leg is coming along but i exepct another 2-3 weeks before I can prudently run. 

Today was 75 fun filled minutes on the elliptical, abuot 11.5 miles, followed by some abs work and some  of my PT exercises. 

craneium, congratulations on another successful year and 5K with your latest crop of "kids".  perch, you sure toughed out a hard one at the Qualifier.  nono, it's great to hear from you.  Tramps, my condolences to you and your family.  Your sister sounds fantastic.    jlynne, good luck in diciding what to do with what your back doctor told you.  Holly, I understand your frustration.  In keeping with some other comments, I thought you should invite your father in law to visit more often, or maybe move in.  dave, good luck dealing with the stomach issues.  wild, I can't agree more with your comments on internet running friendships.  hopeful, I hope your husbands cut and stitched finger heals rapidly.  Also, I love the picture of the spare tire cover on you new Jeep.

Nice long runs for RCG, Twocat, and fatozzig.  Good job on the speedwork for ribs.

This morning, it was in the mid 40s and calm.  I got in 7 miles at a 10:56 pace.

A couple weeks back, I went to the doctor who thought I was healthy but just showing some effects of aging.  However, he scheduled some bloodwork and a treadmill stress test.  I got an early copy of the bloodwork, most of which looks ok to my being untrained or consistent with past bloodwork.  There are  only a couple things I wonder about.  My stress test was interesting.  I've had them before but never got as good an explanation as to how they decide when to quit.  The technician said my goal pulse rate was 129.  They would, every 3 minutes, increase the incline and speed until I reached the target or couldn't go on.  Except for the last little bit, I walked rather than run.  I hit my goal at 15 minutes, a 16% incline, and a pace I don't remember but it was over 4mph and less than 5mph.  When I got done, she said it has been several years since she saw someone take 15 minutes to reach their goal.  (There was no caveat about age either.)  She said my EKG looked good, my blood pressure acted as it should, and I was recovering quickly afterwards.  Of course, the definitive news comes after the cardiologist goes over the results.  It will be interesting to see if my primary doctor feels a need to even call me about the results.  I'm begining to suspect that my perceived feelings of slowing and having running get harder are all in my head or, more likely, an indication that I need to be more accepting of my "geezer" status.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

mrrun

(((Tramps) and ((Dave))   and ((jlynne))).  jlynne - i second another opinion.

great runs for Mikee, wildchild, ribs, skip

Safe travels karin, jay

running home from work today.  was going to bike to work this morning, but the bike was missing. couldn't figure out where it was until i remembered i brought it to the bike shop b4 we went to green bay. i was supposed to pick it up yesterday, but forgot - talk about geezerhood!!!

can't see the GB pictures, because work blanks them out - will check back tonight,

marj

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

running home from work today.  was going to bike to work this morning, but the bike was missing. couldn't figure out where it was until i remembered i brought it to the bike shop b4 we went to green bay. i was supposed to pick it up yesterday, but forgot - talk about geezerhood!!!

Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Ribs, it'll always be White Rock to me.

Slipped away from work and had a good run this morning with 5 x 30-second fartlek intervals.  Fast.  I love being back out there!

Forgot to ask the doc the other day and maybe I should call back and ask the nurse to ask him.  You know the best question is the one you think of after you leave the doctor's office.  I did ask about the lightheaded feeling I've gotten lately when bending down and getting back up, etc.  He said the anesthesia affects people afterwards that way sometimes.  I wonder how that's related to my BP?  The top number has been running around 100 now compared to about 130-140 before.

Speaking of doctors, tselbs, I hope you get good feedback from your stress test.  That HR doesn't even seem that high but I don't know your numbers.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Tramps my condolences as well.  As others have pointed out a good and loved life with a peaceful end is all we can ask.

buehrle I would love to take you up on your offer.  But I fear that the only day I could have made it down your way for a run was yesterday.  I have a long run planned tomorrow and that means sticking close to this area if I am going to avoid missing too much of they day's sessions at the conference.

Holly S. I am going to third or fourth or whatever the suggestion you have your in-laws in after dinner every night so that you get full time dish washing help from now on!  A long time ago my DW and I settled on the one person cooks (me) the other sets the table and cleans up (her).  Violations result in eating out.  So far so good as we are still married!

An hour on the elliptical.  What a tenth rate machine!  You would think that an executive center at a major university would have a decent sized gym with reasonably good equipment.  I guess not.  Black eye  Fortunately, I can run tomorrow and Friday I will be driving home and if I manage to get there in time I can elliptical then.  Once on this place's equipment is enough!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

holly - maybe do all your running during the lunch hour when no one knows.

Be sure not to mention running at all with them.

If they bring up marathons, mabye say you do one every once in a while to keep keep attractive and in shape but, as MIL probably understands, you get most of  your exercise around the house when DH isn't as much in the helping mode.  

ps wildchild - don't tell MikeE what happens to skinny lowlanders <<<(jealous/jealous)>>> who try to run at altitude.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

Hi Nono!!! I will go run run run with Renee.

MikE. Dad knew a pilot named "Jack". Dad cracks himself up a lot.

I will clean dishes for you Holly.

Jay, why didn't you get the deers and make them go run run run?

Tramps, I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Healing prayers to your family.

JLynne...Find a Dr. who goes run run run too.

I want a Griff too!!!!

TomS..Your test sounds like a nice work out with people getting to watch you. Are you a star?

Mrrun..Dad plays that same game every time he goes to find where the truck is parked.

Me and Dad went run run run of trails today!! Honey wasn't with us so I got all of the attention! I saw a little tiny critter Dad said was a baby woodchuck but he wouldn't let me make it go run run run.

I still had fun anyway because there are lots of squirrels out playing. When we got in the muddy places, Dad showed me a picture plant.

Bugs climb into it. Then they can not find the way out. (Like Dad when we go any place) Then the flower eats the bug! Some times I eat bugs too. 

I was way far in front of Dad and had to come back and see him. There was a very clean rock in the trail.

But then it started moving! Good rocks don't do that! Dad said it was a tortoise. A tortoise is like rock kind of thing that runs slow like Dad and smells like a yucky critter. They are like turtles but not so wet and more slower. Boy, it sure freaked me way out!

When we got the the river Dad got in too! He said it was very cold and did not stay in hardly all all. The big baby. When we went run run run back to the truck, I found the tortoise some more!

He acts just like Dad in the cold river. The big baby.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Mariposai

{{{butterfly hugs to lamerunner}}} hang in there sister!

Jlynne, I hope you received the help you needed to post your pictures. I can't wait to see them!

4 glorious miles after work today. Now I am off to finish off the delicious twocat- jerked chicken I made for my DH, Skip and I on Sunday. If you  have not tried this recipe, do it, if you like spicy and tasty chicken!. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Great pics, Tag.  Maybe you can help JLynne post hers!

Just looked at the weather report for this weekend's training camp:

... Cooler and unsettled weather late this week...

A cold late-season weather system will drop southward through
                          northern California on Friday before moving east on Saturday.
                          Showers and a few thunderstorms are expected to spread southward
                          through the region early Friday and begin to taper
                          off late Friday... however lingering showers along the Sierra are expected into
                          Saturday. Locally gusty winds with brief heavy showers are
                          possible during thunderstorm development. Light to several inches
                          of snowfall could accumulate along the higher elevations of the
                          northern Sierra crest... generally above 5000 to 6000 feet. The system
                          will also bring much cooler temperatures that measure about 10 to
                          20 degrees below normal. Campers... hikers and other outdoor
                          enthusiasts are advised to be prepared for this dramatic change in
                          the weather for the northern Sierra.

. . . .  yea . . . . . Roll eyes

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

When I got done, she said it has been several years since she saw someone take 15 minutes to reach their goal.  (There was no caveat about age either.)  She said my EKG looked good, my blood pressure acted as it should, and I was recovering quickly afterwards........

I'm begining to suspect that my perceived feelings of slowing and having running get harder are all in my head or, more likely, an indication that I need to be more accepting of my "geezer" status.

Sounds to me like you are still in great shape, Tom - no surprise there, though.

Leslie - Shocked

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Oh, nice to see Leslie obsessing about the weekend weather, too!  Smile  It snowed here last night, and snowed in Laramie too.  Roll eyes  Better than a furnace, anyway.  I think Karin's marathon on Sunday is predicted to be hot.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.