Masters Running

Halloween!! 10.31.15 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Happy trick or treating! I hope you all get more treats than tricks.

I had an interesting meeting with a real estate developer yesterday about a couple of parcels we may be able to protect via our conservation commission.

When we saw Jeb Bush a couple of days ago, the audience was older, reserved, relatively quiet. At the Bernie Sanders town hall meeting last night, the crowd was younger (but not all young), animated, and involved. Interesting counterpoints.

3 mile very easy walk today. This is starting to get old...

Busy day ahead, so I'm outta' here.

Have a greta Saturday, and don't forget to get confused by the time change tonight.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...jay//......it's just hard to get Enthused this time around.............not like a Good Nixon and DuckHunting Encounter....

============

but I digress

...........45-min PoolRun, nb, cf, deo

...............good running guys..........Happy Halloween

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

On this beautiful Halloween Day took a bus to Harvard Square in Cambridge where met Marj who had biked over to meet a group doing their annual Halloween graveyard tour (led by a friend of mine). I had done the tour before and felt I would rather run, so ran 7 miles home (2 more than the direct distance). Still wearing my Mets hat and getting a lot of attention since they won last night.

Good luck to the marathoners and other racers this weekend.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

DD and her friend are going trick-or-treating tonight.  At 13, this is optional, but she and her friend are both petite, so I doubt anyone will care.  In fact, we do see some trick-or-treaters that look to be in high school....

DH and I are supposed to go to a friend's costume party tonight, but DH had to work today, so I am wondering if he is going to decide he doesn't want to go.  We shall see.  Truly, I hate to say yes to invitations because DH has a habit of changing his mind about going, then I am left feeling too awkward to go alone, but annoyed that I am made to look like a flake.  (sigh)

4 brisk-walking miles for me today on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

2 sluggish miles pre-dawn, in a storm.  I got caught up on the weeks' posts last night -- good work this week, everyone & welcome Gooey!

As as I ran only once this week, I felt kinda ineligible to post.  I know it's silly, but personally I feel I have to earn the privilege.  Anyway...

For Halloween I'm going as a comrade, with genuine early-1980's era People's Liberation Army coat, "worker" shirt, and slogan pin.  I am a bit worried that this is cultural appropriation...but I look forward to being able to say things like, "Comrade, how is the revolutionary struggle", and "I am enjoying the dialectic here, but I still think you're an imperialist running dog capitalist."

Happy Halloween!

...econo//..had I only known I would have mailed you my ''Anarchists Unite'' Button from the 60's

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

I tried to post a Pankowski picture from Facebook, but obviously that's above my pay grade. Looks like Steve had a good fun Halloween run with Noah and the tykes.

We don't ever get trick-or-treaters here, but we buy some candy "just in case." But of course, the candy we buy is Snickers and Kit Kats, so we really get them for ourselves and will share with any t-or-t'rs who show up. 

Ran 5.1 in the snow yesterday, felt nice (really) at 23° but at times the snow was a bit of a challenge where the road plows had thrown it onto the path. Today is sunny and it was 10° this morning. I'll get out for a few miles later but most of the day will be spent cleaning up around here.

I wish RA had a like button and I wish we had some snow here, like Erika has...I'll have to wait until January for that.

Hey TW, the Thorlo idea is golden!

I have spent the morning cooking for our party tonight. I am bushed! But everything is under control. Now to watch the California - USC game. For real, I am going to go to my grave before Cal goes to the Rose Bowl. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

This morning, it was in the low 40s and there was just a light breeze.  I did 6 miles at an 11:20 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

I hope everyone is enjoying their weekends and Halloween activities. Since we normally have our fall party the week before, we have no party to host or go to which is OK with us since we have volunteered to help up at the Hallelujah Carnival tonight where over 2000 kids normally go to enjoy a fun evening after they have done their trick o treating in the neighborhoods. It should be a fun night.

Holly, I used to have the same problem with the Easy Pacer changing his mind about going to a party we already committed to go. Then I came to realize that if it was up to him we will be hermits and never go anywhere. So, I decided that I will just go to the parties alone and have fun rather canceling one more party.  It was hard at first, but we got used that arrangement and it works just fine for us.

Twocat, enjoy your party. Lucky people who are attending it.

Henrun and Marj sure have fun every day of their retirement life.

Econo, we must see pictures of the Econo Camrade.

Well, I decided to do a 14 miles wave run today. I was pleased with the result. While my Half marathon pace miles were not where I wish they are, I now know the base and will try another wave run in 2 weeks to see if I see any progress. Running on the burnt areas still makes me so sad.

Here is the picture of the day Erika is referring to.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Just curious... is there a ferry or something going from Green Bay, WI to Traverse City, MI? Or something to make it easier to get from one to the other without going all the way around the top or the bottom of the lake?

Thanks for posting the picture, Mariposai. I never can seem to get that to work.

Spent over an hour shoveling snow and clearing the driveway with DH. Beautiful day out there but my ears got cold.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN my friends!!  Miss you all!!

Ireland was amazing!! We landed in Ireland Sat morning, hit the expo, then walked the streets of Dublin - probably not the best choice 2 days before a marathon and a 4 hour time change but hey - it was Dublin!! Ran the International Friendship Run Sunday morning 2.2 miles followed by a traditional Irish breakfast (veggie version for me) with Irish music and step dancing!! It was so much fun and a great way to begin our Ireland experience.  The marathon was a blast altho not what I had originally anticipated. The fall last month really set me back and by the half way point I was feeling the effects. One of my friends vowed we were running this marathon together no matter the pace and she was true to her word - we had a blast despite my not feeling my best.

The Dublin crowds were amazing - they cheered us every step. We had special shirts made that said Boston - MVS - Dublin on the front with a great print on the front so the crowds were constantly yelling GO BOSTON!! We also heard BRILLIANT and You are fabulous or Well Done all throughout the course!!  Finally had my Guiness at the Brazen Head later that day - the oldest pub in Ireland and it was THE BEST Guiness I have ever had!! Tuesday we did the CLiffs of Moher tour then stayed 2 nights in Galway - so awesome!! I could go on and on, but I'll just say it really was one of the best trips I have ever taken!!

No running for at least 2 weeks post-marathon for me and possibly even longer. I really need to get this foot issue figured out and let my ribs heal more. Monday I must get back on a good detox from sugar and alcohol. I think if I donated blood right now I would bleed Guiness and chocolate!!

Now, time to catch up on what you all have been doing this past week!! Love the pic of Steve and his grandkids!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I used to have the same problem with the Easy Pacer changing his mind about going to a party we already committed to go. Then I came to realize that if it was up to him we will be hermits and never go anywhere. So, I decided that I will just go to the parties alone and have fun rather canceling one more party.  It was hard at first, but we got used that arrangement and it works just fine for us.

My DH is a hermit, too!  I'm going solo to a Halloween party tonight with my running friends - it's a group run followed by a potluck.  I wouldn't expect my DH would want to hang out with my running friends anyway, so I don't mind going solo.  The only problem is, he sometimes says I'm "abandoning him" to hang out with my running friends, and while I appreciate that he likes my company, I also need time with my friends.   And since we're together just about 24/7 anyway, a few hours apart might be a good thing! 

Deez - sounds like a wonderful trip!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

SteveP - Adorable!

Econo - what an awesome idea!

Deez - that sounds amazing!

Nancy and Carolyn - thank you for the encouragement.  Maybe I will be brave next time and go alone.  This time, however, it looks as if we may make it out the door.  My costume is just one from years past, washed and ironed to wear again.  I have a couple of bins in the garage with costumes that can be used again.  Today's was a thrift store mishmash that made an easy pirate.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."