Masters Running

Monday 9/21 International Peace Day. (Read 34 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

"I call on all warring parties to lay down their weapons and observe a global ceasefire. To them I say: stop the killings and the destruction, and create space for lasting peace."   UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon

Well, the RR crew lived to tell!

Erika crushed her marathon (called it.)

16 yesterday and 8 this am.  Slower than I'd like but as I come near the anniversary of blowing out my ankle, I'm all about prudence.

Sayhey Holly, only would want to do the Pig if you were running it.  We're seriously talking about the Air Force runs in September '16.  DH loved the Air & Space museum at Dulles (it's part of the Smithsonian) last weekend, so it got us talking about how we always meant to do the AFM and haven't yet.  Tara does that one, too, no?

Have happy Mondays....I am, super weekend, and listening to Judy Collins on NPR.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

A quick post here before I wrap up the day. Our weekend found us in the ancient city of Betolo, then a long trip back to our home base, Tetovo.

I did have a chance to run 6 miles, the longest in two weeks, alone and in a lovely park. The run felt so freeing. Since our arrival here I  was not able to run alone, due to cultural practices.

Cherish your freedom to run anywhere and at any time you desire, ladies!

Carpe Diem,

Nancy

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

First, congrats to EK on her big race, an annual tradition for her that I look forward to hearing about.

Congrats to Twocat and his teammates on another fine relay.

35+ miles for me last week and feeling fine this week, 8 yesterday in the hills of Grapevine, TX and 3.4 slow recovery this morning.  The Saint has been walking through these same workouts.

All these bizarre numbers from my blood have resulted in a solution.  I am dehydrated.  Of course I know why. I don't drink enough water. Why?  Because I had my prostate removed and sub-consciously I guess, I don't drink enough during the day.  Why/  Because I work here at my desk and I hate getting up all the time to go to the bathroom!  Stupid I guess, but I'm being more deliberate about it. Otherwise everything is fine.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - Air Force Marathon would be fun, too!  Yes, Tara usually does one of the events.

Nancy - we take our freedoms for granted to often here in the States.

Ribs - that is good news!

A few minutes after I got to work, I got a call from DS - he was driving up the hill on the next block right into the glare of the rising sun, and plowed right into a parked trailer.  His car is totaled, but thankfully he is fine and no one else was hurt, either.  Good thing he didn't have any passengers.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

So scary Holly!! Very thankful he is ok and no one was hurt - I'm sure he's pretty shaken up!!  ((Holly))

Ribs - glad there is a somewhat easy solution to your problem

3.3 easy recovery miles for me this morning followed by an appt with my chiro and a 90 minute massage!!  Soooooo good!!

denise

Sayhey! MM#130

Holly--keep an eye on him for a few days, but you know that.   Poor guy.  May the Ins. Co. be decent.

evan, mighty fine marathon.  Mike, I can't imagine even thinking of 5 marathons in 5 days.  fatozzig, re. the quarters.  My dad was a coin collector.  He would spend hours going through, wrapping, and documenting his coins.  A few years after he died, I got the coins all together and got quotes from 3 coin dealers.  We sold the collection to the highest bidder a just under $10K.  steve, nice pictures of your family. To all the Rosie Ruiz team, it sounds like a fantastic time.  Holly, I'm sorry to hear about your son's accident but glad to know that no one was hurt.  Hi moebo.

Nice long runs for moebo and Aamos.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 40s and almost calm.  I did 5 miles at a 10:46 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

All these bizarre numbers from my blood have resulted in a solution.  I am dehydrated.  Of course I know why. I don't drink enough water. Why?  Because I had my prostate removed and sub-consciously I guess, I don't drink enough during the day.  Why/  Because I work here at my desk and I hate getting up all the time to go to the bathroom!  Stupid I guess, but I'm being more deliberate about it. Otherwise everything is fine.  Spareribs

a present for you, Ribs.

I had a very nice time with the RA goddesses yesterday--pictures don't lie.  Mike--Enke had to find someone tall.    She is very nice, and I don't think it's just because she's Canadian.  I forgot to ask if she brought her chainsaw, but was a pure pleasure to meet her even without.  And I by no means, mean to slight Robin, Denise, and Kirsten.  They had just been taken off the imaginary rolls previously.  I can't remember the last time I voluntarily gave up watching a Pats game, but I have no regrets.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

The relay was a blast!  Phenomenal weather!  Super teammates!  Could have used a van with AC but hey, you cannot have everything can you?    Pictures and stories are on the team's blog http://rosieruizfanclub.blogspot.com/ and Facebook pages so I will not repeat them here.  Several people had our team photo taken at the finish area and I when I get my hot little hands on a copy I will post that here.

enkephalin it was great to see you again.  You are a great person to spend 30 hours with in a van!  What a trooper too!  Managing to get out for your last leg was clearly an act of raw will against mother nature.  Very impressive. I know it is a looooong flight out, but come back for next year's run!  If you spend a few more days out east then that plane ride will not seem so long!

deez4boyz just as last year, you are a real sweetie and I am so happy to have had you on the team!  Come back for the 10th anniversary team!  Also, remember the beer bread and peanut butter!

milktruck okay, you do not post on the daily very often and may not see this, but just in case a BIG thank you for all you did!  Getting the vans for the team was Herculean effort.  Come back for your 3rd year on the team!

coastwalker the man of the morning and night!  Letting the team rendezvous at your house, take showers and the refrigerator from the guest house!  Who else would be so kind!  Well, maybe not the refrigerator part but all the rest!    Thank you! I know next year's race creates a conflict with your anniversary, but if you renew your vows and set the date for say the following weekend or two later then you could move your anniversary to that weekend and  be on the team again next year!  Glad to be of help!

This being the daily as for me and running today, none I fear.  I think my abdomen needs another week or two off.  I may give running a shot this coming Sunday.  Until then I plan to continue to couch potato.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly--keep an eye on him for a few days, but you know that.   Poor guy.  May the Ins. Co. be decent.

Sadly, we had only liability coverage on it, so no reimbursement, but at least we can fix the other guy's trailer.  On the plus side, Grandpa Jim in Wyoming has offered his 1997 Ford Explorer to DS if he can pay to get it transported.  A little research and it was decided that paying $1225 to have it delivered was cheaper in the long run than the air fare, gas and time off work, so I think that's what we will do. The car has a lot of miles on it, but is in good shape, and if DS can get a couple years out of it, that's worth the $1225.

Twocat - looking forward to reading your report!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

No runs today - just got in from chicago where we had fun, met some new cousins, ran a race, and walked a gazillion miles.  time to start planning our next trip...

sorry we missed the meet-up - great pix.

RTB - great write-up and pix - also sorry we couldn't get to hampton for the finish.

((holly and son))

ribs - if it's just water - that's an easy solution..

nice runs for tselbs, posai, aamos

aamos - air force museum is cool!

shout-outs to anyone i missed and happy runs/walks to late posters

marj

[[[[[holly]]]]...........just Buckle Up, your crew is not On A Roll this month...........sorry that happened

============

do you have to be a Convicted Sadist to become a PT??

today

we started the'' Single Leg Squat (modified)''

did NOT see that one coming.

.........hitting the City Park tomorrow,

told her to show me HOW to get into a Bath Tub

without violating

''The 90-degree (of bending, not temp) Rule''

I have a feeling a Hot Soak is going to be needed soon

..............good running guys..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Holly S. I would say that is a pretty good deal for a new used car.

News you can use:  http://www.runresearchjunkie.com/the-effect-of-energy-boost-footwear-on-running-economy/.  I have been racing in Mizuno Wave Universe sneakers (slippers?) because they are super light and to date the evidence that your sneaker type had any impact on your times was about zero.  That has now changed.  There is some (meaning fairly weak at this point) that Adidas Boost sneakers may improve race times.  I have a pair and have noticed that they seem to make my long runs easier to do than my other sneakers.  I just figured it was psychological.  But perhaps not!  As new evidence comes in it pays to change with it, so until a study comes along to contradict this one (and it very well may happen!) I plan to race in the lightest Adidas Boost sneakers I can get.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Sayhey! MM#130

Ahem......   Stumps, you wrote:

" I can't remember the last time I voluntarily gave up watching a Pats game, but I have no regrets. "

Well of course I get that, those are some premier RA wimmin.

But no regrets as to the horsehair side of things?  Not even a teeny tiny ping?  (Of course, I'm still ruing missing the big 500, altho my college roomie is beyond the beyond.    But there is a modicum of......<sigh.>

Well shoot, Holly, I used to live so close to Wyoming, I could have met you 3/4s of the way or somesuch.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the AF museum marg!  Now if we can just drag Holly to the race.......which will conflict with the relay, as the AFM is the 3rd Saturday of September, if I'm not mistaken.

I would be interested in a relay but any interest in a 6 person team?  I've done both and kinda like the smaller team more.  You get to run lots.

I love PTs, tw--yours will get you back to running shape.  Take yourself to the Perk Up for coffee afterwards.  You'll have earned it.

Yes, I'm having a Monday and thank you all for so graciously being there and helping me through it.

Ribs, I hear ya on the dehydration thing. I also tend towards that for the same reason: BPH gives me a pretty short bladder range at times and I hesitate to drink too much if I'm not assured of being near a restroom.

Holly, that is a really scary crash! Glad he's OK and again the old adage "If you have a problem that can be fixed with money, you don't really have a problem."

Aamos, I could spend another week in the AF museum, and I'm not even that much of an aviation buff these days.

Continuing IRC today, so went out for a 4-miler. After reading that article about the deterioration in performance in older runners, I experimented with lengthening my stride and noticed the immediate pickup in my pace. I tend to agree that that is a big factor in slowing with age, so will be more aware of it in the future.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"