Masters Running

Buckley Heritage Days 5K (Read 230 times)

SteveP

It was a dark and stormy night. Which was O.K. The race was in the morning and it has sunny and the roads had dried. This was the second running of the Buckley Heritage Days 5K. It has only been promoted locally and each of the runners was a local. The last Census put the population of 550. I called the race’s sponsor for details. The ad posted at the local party store said to do that. The event’s sponsor did not have a clue as to the details. Simply that the race started at the “Old Fire Hall” at 7:00 AM. Something told me this was going to be a small race. The entry fee was $7.00 and it included a T shirt. Registration was 7:00 and race time was 8:00AM. The total number of registrants turned out to be 28. Many of the runners were in the school’s cross country team. Since it was a local race to promote a sense of community, I decided to wear a black, ribbed Batman tank top, black running shorts, off white socks and Asics gel with some numbers in the name. Ray was there, he’s a powerful runner and last year’s Master winner. It was a great surprise to see Jim there. It was kind of kewl to know most of the racers. DS’s best friend, Andrew, was there. I met a few new people too. As most of the runners were less than ½ my age and even more looked green, I started in back. So did Ray. Kewl. The man with the whistle said “On your mark, get set…” Then the whistle failed. Some of us came back and the whistle failed again. We all took off again and behind us we heard the whistle loud and clear. Third time is the charm. The first mile is a steady up hill and most of the fast starters began to fade. I knew it wasn’t a big hill, so I left my utility belt at home. I was still behind a number of runners and I needed to think fast. One kid, about 15 had a very full head of hair and it nearly made an afro. I shouted up to the young man, “Buddy, I’ve got some bad news for you. When I was your age, I had hair just like yours”. He turned back and looked. The sun reflected off of my ample forehead, into the teen’s eyes. He fell to the ground in a fetal position and began crying for his mommy. When the rest of us trampled over him, I nearly tripped. Rotten kid. After we reached the top of the hill, I picked up the pace a bit since the next ½ mile was a gentle down hill. As it’s been a while since I’ve had steady training, I simply got in the groove and counted my blessings. At the next turn, I passed three more runners. A ways a head of me, I saw the next runner. There was not much chance of catching her and it didn’t matter because she could not bump me from hardware. Then it dawned on me that I was giving myself permission to do less that what I know I could. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”. A bull’s eye appeared on her back and she became a target. During the next mile of gentle rolling hills, I gained on the target. She beat me to the turn and there was about ½ a mile left. Reaching deeper, I caught up to her and she said, “You did this to me last year”. It’s nice to be remembered. She ran faster, and so did I. We hit the base of one last gentle hill and she faded. Around the last turn, I had a clear shot to the finish line and was tempted to coast. Some one yelled, “She’s behind you!” Or something similar and I let it all out. Crossing the line I nearly puked. Embrace the pukey feeling. The woman behind me was not the woman I passed a bit ago but some mysterious stranger. DW was at the finish with Ace, our dog. He’s an unruly beast and was in much pain because he wasn’t the center of attention and all the kids were not fawning over him. Andrew took 1st OA. Ray 1st in Masters again. Jim 1st in 35 to 39 AG. I took 1St in 40-49 AG with 29:15. One man who took 3rd in his AG ran the race pushing a stroller with two kids and he was wearing blue jeans. There were at least four in his AG. There were only two people over 40. Ray was one of them and he’s 53. So, I had 1st AG as well as DFL in AG all in the same race. Man did I get my $7.00 worth!!! 11th out of 28 OA.

SteveP

King of PhotoShop

I'm only responding to this because I miss you, you have been so busy lately! Great to see you out racing Steve, and giving us a fun report. And nice win too. Spareribs

Renee the dog

Great racing and thoroughly enjoyed your report! Thanks!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Steve--I think you always get your money's worth in your races. And we always get our money's worth in the reports Big grin That's the kind of race I wish I could find around here. Small and fun to run. I will admit that I've never thought of using my lack of hair as a threat to intimidate the younger runners, but will keep it in mind for upcoming races. Wink Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I agree with Stumpy---your reports are always wonderful. The joy you have when you are running is without equal. Your race reports always make me smile, laugh, cheer and think deeper thoughts too (well, not TOO deep). I hope there was some net revenue from the race fee to get a new whistle for the RD! I use the abundance of hair in my ponytail as my weapon. A good strategic head toss and those at my side are vanquished. Ha! Good racing and report. Thanks Steve as always. Karin
              I'm glad you didn't use the utility belt you could've been DQ'd, there are some basic rules you know! Big grin $7 with a T-shirt Shocked Good race, very nice report, if you quit taking so many notes maybe you could run faster Clowning around Great job Steve Smile Smile Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Hilarious as always!! Hey, an AG award is an AG award! Thanks for the report.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

evanflein

Always a treat. Thanks for the report and way to go on the AG award! (hey, doesn't matter how many...) I agree you certainly got your money's worth out of this one. Hope you can post more often, Steve. We miss you around here!
                  HermosaBoy

$7, a DFL and a 1st in AG??? Priceless!!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

coastwalker

$7, a DFL and a 1st in AG??? Priceless!!!! Big grin
                      Exactly!!! Thanks for the most entertaining RR! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

huskydon

Yep, 1st in AG and $7 with a t-shirt, you can't beat that! Good job and great report! huskydon
                          Steve, this is my kind of race, small and low tech. Your report was a joy to read. In addition to your AG award, it was clear you had a great time. Congratulations. TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Then it dawned on me that I was giving myself permission to do less that what I know I could. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”. A bull’s eye appeared on her back and she became a target.
                            I love this part... Congratulations on your AG win, however it came....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I really enjoyed your RR. Especially the way you took out the 'fro-haired kid without even using your trusty utility belt!! Gotta embrace the pukey feeling too! Keep having fun. And keep writing those excellect RR's John