Masters Running

Wake up it's Saturday! (Read 465 times)

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hi GGP, nice to see you here! Smile

{{{Jlynne}}}

{{{Mike E.}}} Let me let you in on a little secret. It's not that hard to have a good attitude, regardless of the circumstances. You just need to find a good role model and constantly remember how they would handle what you're going through. Not necessarily the exact events, but the reactions to the events. For me it was this woman Terrie who I met at the start of my yoga teacher training a couple years back. Turns out she had been battling cancer for 10 years at that point, if not more. Beat it several times, even though her illness would return, but still had the fortitude to keep fighting. She wouldn't take no for an answer, but she never stopped smiling. I had never known anyone (as a peer) who had such issues, and so she was my one and only role model for how to be. We studied and chanted and breathed and cried together, all 16 of us in that teacher training that year, because that's how you learn to be a yoga teacher. And after nine months of study, we had all transformed ourselves, learned how to find the good in things in spite of the bad, and somehow along the way, learned how to teach a yoga pose or two. Terrie graduated with the rest of us, smiling and breathing all the way. And I still remember what she'd always say: when the going got too tough for her, she knew we'd be breathing for her. It's what we did, as yogis, after all.

Terrie passed in April of 2009, two years after we completed our teacher training. She was the one who taught me how to deal with having cancer. You just deal with it, breathe, smile and go on. I wouldn't know how to do it any other way.

I walked with my running friend Lauren today, two very slow and careful miles. I'm a little tired now, but happy she and I got to chat today. I think I'll walk again tomorrow, but probably a bit less. Wink

Congrats to all the racers! Happy breathing to all. Smile

wildchild

Carolyn

Happy breathing, OM!

So Slo and Mike are trying to make me look bad by fixing their spelling.  So now can i point out that Slo told Jeanne to "heel up"?  What is she, one of Mary's puppies?  Wink

Just got in from a 12.7 mile trail run in the state park close to home, on the course of the local trail half marathon (which is obviously a little short, but has major elevation changes to make up for it.)  I ran it today in 2:54:46.  My time at the race last year was 2:47 and the year before, 2:51, so I feel good about my time for just a training run when I wasn't pushing hard.  It was IRC today, 50° and overcast. 

I didn't carry any food or water with me, just stopped for water at the 8 mile point at a picnic area. They have an old fashioned pump that I had to jump up and put my weight on the handle to make it move, about 6 times before the water started coming up.  Good  cross training in the middle of a run.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks, OM!  I wish I had read that before I went out on my run--a very uninspired 8.2 miles in 58:12.  Breath, huh?  I'll give it a try...

{{{{{{JLynne}}}}}

{{{{{{Mike}}}}} I can relate, coming from a family with both mental health and substance abuse issues.  So often they go hand-in-hand.  Hang in there!

Hi Kerrie!!!

DNF for me today.  Got thru almost 32K in good shape, then PING, tore the soleus right where it joins the Achilles.  Not too bad, but limped to the next aid station and bailed out. 

Will be on the DL for a bit.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Mariposai

OrangeMat, your post tonight about dealing with cancer was timeless. I hope you don't mind that I forwarded to Sarah, my sweet 27 y/o mother with a lovely  fifteenth month old daughter. Sarah was diagnosed with non hodgkin's lymphoma, stage three, late last fall. Last Saturday I organized a fundraiser for her to aide with some miscellaneous expenses. On Monday Sarah was sent to Seattle asap since her latest tests were not even closed to being good. She will be in Seattle to the end. I hope to see her at the end of June. A ache for this girl. I know that breathing would do her and all of us a lot of good. Thanks for being a vessel of inspiration!

8 miles this late afternoon with 5x2@ 7:45ish pace. The weather was perfect and I felt that I was floating! I felt to tall, with power and in control!

Nancy, I just saw that post. Sorry to  hear about the soleus tear...let us more about it! I hope it is not as serious as you think it is. Butterfly hugs, sistahh.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

Dose that make sense, or am I the only one that sees it this way?

So far, none of the kids have been in that boat. I have had and still do have close family members who are in similar situations. As long as you have the fight to do right in you Mike, keep slugging away. This crap is life or death serious. Please keep in mind that you are not alone. My younger brother will only talk with people briefly from pay phones because he's sure lines are tapped. Now I know why I've been keeping you in my prayers. I thought it was simply because you're a good guy.

SteveP

Maniac 505

((Jylnne)) You almost sound casual about your surgery.  Heal quick

((MikeE)) It sounds like OM  has some good advice,  I hope it helps.

((Hemerocallus))  That does not sound good,  I hope it is not as bad as it sounds

Congrats to all the racers out there.  lots of good reports today.

Maybe winter is finally over.  nice 6 miles in the sun today

Avenger Doggie

protector of my dad

I am sorry to hear about your disc JLynne. I have had some disc that I chewed all up. Dad says it's not the same kind.

Hi Dave!! Did you get ice cream?? Dad didn't let me go run run run with you!. I was so frustrated!

TwoCat, I like eating out a lot. Mom hollers when I eat too much grass though. Dad like stuff that works too. It's not so loud that way.

You must have had lots and lots of fun Mary. How is Brinkley?? Can he go run run run?

Hi Sarge!

Hi GGP. I've been running sice I was just a 8 week old baby and my first race was when I was 9 weeks old. I got a DNF then, but it was very fun and Dad takes me to run run run when it's not races too.  I'm kinda big and I chase critters except when my dad gets scared and screams like a baby and I have to come back. I like ice cream and sticks too.

Sorry to hear that Heme.

Butterfly Lady...I really want to go chase rabbits with you. You sound like fun fun fun!

Well, I am nothing like Orange Mat. I had a horrible horrible morning. So, OK, Dad gets up when it is still dark out. He always does that any way. Then he's getting running stuff out and I get Mom up because we're going to run run run. He hooked up a trailer and he gave me a very nice Batman shirt to wear. We go to where the race starts and there were thousands of people!! There were dogs! Even some kids! With more than two thousand people there, Dad goes up to the biggest guy ever and calls him Byll. Then he talks with Dave. Then he talks with Dave. ? There are two Dave's but that do not look anything a like!. There is something wrong with the way Dad's brain is. I didn't care though. I was there to race. A lady said, "On your mark!". "Get set!". Then she yelled, "GO!". I went. Dad stayed there!. I was jumping and dancing and Dad just stood there!

Wait, it gets worse. Then a whole bunch more people get ready to go run run run. No dogs. No kids. Just people. Dad ran up and we said "Hello" to Rodney. The nice lady got every one ready again. Every one started racing again. Every one but Dad. My Dad. Ugh!. I was really crying loudly and sad. Dad took me back to the truck. I got in the back seat. Then climbed over and went inm the back back back. I did not tal;k to Dad any more. We drove around. When we stopped at a store, he put up my food dish. I picked it up and dumped it on the seat too. I was very mad. When he came out, he gave me ice cream and I got over it. Then we went to a place and stood there. Then racers came up and I wanted to go. Dad stayed there and yelled at people running. We saw people I race with and he stood there. He's going to start drooling in a cup any time the poor old guy.  I saw other dogs there and we rassled.  We saw a nice person called, Mustang Sally. He was a little worried for her. I was getting sad again then I saw DG!!!! I sawa here when I was a little baby and she remembered me! And she petted me too. She gave Dad a hug. I told him, I would not tell Mom if he gave me more ice cream.

Then we got back into the truck and Dad drove to some trail I like. There were huge pile of chewed up wood. Dad calls them "wood chips". I bring stick home, chew them up and Mom gets made over the mess. Now look....Dad is taking the same stuff and putting it into the tailer. Can you imagine how many dogs and how many sticks made that pile. Dad  let me chase critters. When he did not see me, he got scared like a baby and yelled. Good grief! Can't a guy get a break? Dad got yards of wood chips. It looked like one trailer to me though. Then we went back to the race. We got to see more friends finish. I gave up on him by now.

Then we went home. Then Dad put the wood chips in with Mom's flowers. Realy? What the heck? I give up! Finally after forever, me and Dad went run run runb on my bestest trail and I got to see critters and get 'em get 'em.

Sniffing Butts, Tag

Mariposai

Hello everyone!

I'm new to RA, but I know some of you from KR.  Life got in the way and I haven't been logging in to kickrunners much lately.  It seems to be pretty quiet over there, so I thought I would join the party here, if you'll have me.  I look forward to getting to know everyone.  

A bit about me for those who don't know:  I'm 52 and live in San Francisco.  I've been running since 2005 and am part of a local all women's running team here in SF.  I've run 4 marathons, but after surgery last Aug to cut out a torn part of the meniscus in my knee, I'm focusing on returning to running carefully and will stick with the <= HM distance for a while.  I'm looking forward to being part of the Utah Ragnar Relay team in June with fellow RA/KR people!

How did I miss this?????????????/

Welcome to RA GGP. How wonderful that you decided to start posting here!

You will have a blast in Utah!!!

Avenger Dog, you are the luckiest dog. You SHAW DG and Mustang Sally? Did you see Bregar and dAAve also? Lucky dog you are. And yest, I would love to run, run, run with you too. Actually hiking with you would be a blast.!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

DNF for me today.  Got thru almost 32K in good shape, then PING, tore the soleus right where it joins the Achilles.  Not too bad, but limped to the next aid station and bailed out. 

Will be on the DL for a bit.

Oh Heme!  So sorry, and I hope it heals quickly for you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

I'm looking forward to being part of the Utah Ragnar Relay team in June with fellow RA/KR people!

Oh, I missed this part! Yay, I'm so happy to hear you'll be doing Ragnar! Have you done a relay before? I had an absolute blast a few weeks ago at Ragnar NY (yes, I know, I still owe everyone a RR) and can't wait to do it again. Smile

And mari, yes, absolutely, do share what I wrote about breathing and my dear friend Terrie. I'll continue to breathe and pray for your friend... so sorry to hear of her struggles...

As for me, I'm doing better every day. I'm completely off the Percocet now, just taking 2 or 3 extra-strength Tylenol as needed, and haven't taken a Valium since yesterday afternoon. I woke up achy as usual this morning, but at least I'm feeling much more lucid and "together". The valium was prescribed as a muscle relaxant, so that my chest muscles keep from spasming and allow better healing while the expander is in there doing its job. Unfortunately, it was also making the rest of my muscles all sloppy and loose, including my belly. All of a sudden I had a tummy flab overhang; what's up with that?? Today things are getting back to normal, my abs being more taut as they should be. Guess the drugs don't discriminate which muscles they're going to make all loosy-goosy!

Avenger Doggie, so sorry you had such a bad day. Trust me, I know how it feels, to watch everyone else go run run run and then being told you can't go do it too.... it's ok, just go after those critters and get 'em get 'em get 'em, and all will be fine. Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

All of a sudden I had a tummy flab overhang; what's up with that??

Welcome to my world....Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."