Masters Running

Thursday's Daily; for too one five (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sorry, but I just have time for a walk-by this morning. I got my first decent night's sleep of the week last night, but still woke up at 3;40. So I got up and went for 7 RW miles around the neighborhood. It was 32F, so no shorts weather yet. There was a nice yellow 4/5 (or there abouts) moon starting to set in the west, but still high enough to provide some hazy light. Nice start to the day. OK - gotta go - busy day today.

Keep smiling and have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Alarm went off at 4:15 this morning.  I haven't joined in the early Tuesday or Thursday run for a few weeks and this morning I turned the alarm off and intended on skipping again, but after a couple minutes I changed my mind and got up.

4 of us met at Starbucks and headed out to the City Forest trails.  I was feeling pretty good today and maybe could have hung with the 2 faster guys but I stayed back with a guy who is having some hip problems.  Sometimes I sacrifice so much for the good of others.   It was actually a nice comfortable pace for 4.75 miles.

Then some chocolate milk and coffee at Starbucks.  They always bring us samples of something on Thursday mornings.  Today they brought out some ice coffee that takes 20 hours to brew.  I am not much for ice coffee, but it was good & strong.

Cindy wanted to go to a nice restaurant for her birthday so I once again sacrificed and went along.  I am at a point in life where I am happy with any piece of meat with bbq sauce on it, so picking an item from a menu where everything sounds like an art project can be tough.  I survived.  Then we went to Best Buy and picked up a Surface Pro 3.  Her iPad broke a few months ago and her laptop is old and slow so this will replace both of those.  I'll play around with it someday and see what I think.

Jlynne

Good morning Jay, Dave and all to follow. Way to get past the temptation of just shutting off the alarm and rolling over. Sometimes swinging your legs over the side of the bed is the hardest part of the run.

Happy belated birthday to Cindy. It sounds like you had a great dinner, and a new computer as a gift? Perfect.  Ours is over 10 years old and I'd love a new one. But DH has an IPad and uses that a lot. The "antique" has become mine but at least we haven't had many problems with it.

I ran in the same wind that Mike mentioned yesterday. It was awesome when it was behind me, but running into it was like I was in a slow motion movie. 20 mph but at least it was 54°  6 miles followed with some core and ab stuff.

Going to watch Will, Ben and Nicholas for a few hours this afternoon. We're going to color eggs. I hard boiled two dozen. We'll see how many of them survive a 5, 4 and 2 year-old.

Have a great day everyone!

Sayhey! MM#130

Want some spicy kimchee Korean popcorn.

Love the bald eagle photo.....so free.

Slow little 10k this morning in the dark.  Until the sun rose. 

Jay, no need to apologize!

Happy belated bday to Cindy.  I like the free samples on Thursday!  Our SB is now giving away used coffee grounds to gardeners.

Jlynne, you reminded me.  Can't tell you how many times I went out for a sunny winter run in Minnesota and S. Dakota, where the roads are on a grid system a lot of the time,  went out la la la la la, then turned around and POW!  Wind in my face, feels about 20 degrees colder, sweat flash freezing all over my body, what?  I am such an eejit.    See, I had to move to the warm.

Best April Fool's was a tie for me:  NPR story in the am about the "smart cars" commenting on other drivers, e.g.: "imbecile human" and the very realistic Teach For America press release that Zayn, late of One Direction, would be a TFA Corps member this year.

grins,

A

ps going to the Twins Stadium tonight to see the Twins/Red Sox game.  And Clay pitched yesterday, thank goodness.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Dave is an angel. I am sure your friend appreciated having you as a running company. I hope Cindy enjoys her new laptop.

Aamos, enjoy the game tonight.

Jay, that is one cool picture of yours during the race the other day.

Taperboy, are you still in Japan?

No running this morning,  but I did run 10 solid smile miles last night with the last 4 miles at sub marathon pace while chatining away with my rocking running buddy. I fee strong.

Off to work,  another 12 hours of work awaits for me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposai - that's a long work day....

Mine started out early when I gave a presentation on VA benefits for a group of professionals who work with seniors.

Follow up with the oral surgeon this afternoon, but I am feeling MUCH better now.....

2 miles on the TM this morning plus a light weights and core workout.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Nice runs this morning!

for those Boston bound, the mile markers on the road are repainted and the winter pot holes are being filled in!

First bike ride of the year - woo hoo!

marj

l

We'll let you off the hook this time, Jay, but don't make it a habit.

Dave - Nice sacrifice, both with the running and the birthday dinner.

There's a section of road I run when I run road in the evenings.  On the way out, it's great.  On the way back, there's always wind in my face.  It's just a matter of how hard it decides to blow.

Good luck with the check-up, Holly.

I saw on the front of Good Housekeeping Magazine (?) that big marshmallows were dyed like you would die an Easter egg.

30 min of stat biking this a.m. with seven 1-min speed intervals thrown in in the middle.

I can tell my hamstrings are getting better, so patience, ibu, and ice is paying off . . . albeit slowly.

Looks like the governor of CA is going to be forcing water restrictions on the state, up to 25% throughout almost the entire state.  When I was a kid, CA had a drought and households were allotted X-units of water depending on how many were living there.  I don't know how you were able to tell how many units you were using, but I remember we all took baths in a small amount of water, then scooped the water out so we could water a few of my mom's plants.  And we held by the old adage: If it's yellow, let it mellow.  If it's brown, flush it down.  I think our little corner of the state, up here in Humboldt County, is just about the only area that's not in a severe drought situation.  A lot of folks in the Central Valley area have literally run out of water - have no running water for their homes because their wells are dry.

And if people think this only affects, CA, they're kidding themselves. A HUGE percentage of the food consumed in the US comes out of CA.  IMHO, everyone is going to be looking at shortages, as well as a climb in prices.  It's a bad deal all the way around.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

yes, the drought is awful Leslie. We will all feel the ripple effects of it.

We aren't big on April Fools jokes here, in fact I usually forget all about it. But yesterday when I was getting David from practice, I went on my own run for the last hr that he had practice and then we just meet at my car. He was already there waiting for me and I can back from my run. I told him "David, you won't believe what I did . . . I locked my keys in the car and my phone is in there too". you could see his whole body sag and he said "you're kidding me" - like in disbelief that I could do that. When I told him "April Fools" he was so relieved and said his heart just sunk thinking we'd be stuck at school for who knows how long until my DH could come get us.

Then when we got home and David was on the computer, checking out all his ESPN news like he does every night - his jaw dropped and said "oh dad, you're not going to believe this! . . The Niners just signed Johnny Manziel!"  okay, DH is and always has been die hard Niner fan and can't stand Manziel . . . so this was a good joke to play on him. lol

got in 5 miles last night. 45 minutes, last two at tempo which were 8:24 and 8:34.

tonight should be interesting: 5 miles again, but supposed to run 3 minutes easy, 1 minute as fast as I can, repeat this sequence until I get to 5 miles.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

posiemike - yes, my didn’t not back from japan

come but write right engrish forgot so googuru
                      translator using for being time.

shikashi, kibun ha mada sonna ni yoku nai no de

mada mada hashitte imasen. zannen desu.
                      しかし、気分はまだそんなに良く無いので、

まだまだ走っていません.
                      残念です。.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I haven't posted since Monday and have done a quick scan of the dailies.  Holly, it sounds like the drugs are helping.  Slo, good job on the weight loss.  Dave, happy birthday to Cindy.

Nice long runs for Mike, Slo (with speed work),Twocat, CNY, and mari.  Good job on the speedwork for Tall.

Yesterday, I got in 5 miles at home and then drove to Ludinton to see my mother.  This morning, it was about 50 degrees with a strong wind.  I wore shorts for the first time this year and got in 5 miles at an 11:18 pace.  Shortly after I finished, the temperature dropped and yucky rain developed.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

It is still windy here--25 mph winds with gusts of 40 mph--which made my easy 7 mile run, tonight, not so easy...at least not the second half of it.

Great April Fools jokes, Tammy!

My daughter (Larva) and I used to always love April Fools day when she was a kid.  Well, twenty years ago, yesterday--after a day filled with pranks--she had an indoor soccer game (I was the coach).  In the locker room, before the game, she pretended to hurt herself.  I told her that she had better not get hurt in the game because I wouldn't believe her.  Sure enough, she blew out her knee.  She basically missed her senior season because of that injury but she was at every practice and and game cheering on her teammates.  I am so dang proud of that kid.  

Okay--that's it--gotta go!  See ya!

This is a dangerous group to be among on April 1!

I am just popping in to report my 10 mile run.  Sunny.  Not warm, but this year you have to take what you can get!

My DW and I are getting ready for three straight days with big dinner gatherings.  Tomorrow and Saturday Seders.  Then on Sunday DW's family comes to our place for Easter dinner.  Given what I know of the chefs at all three dinners there will be two goods ones in the next three days!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

SteveP

Happy Belated Birthday to Cindy. A Surface Pro 3...you romantic devil.

SteveP

Henrun

Off to Brooklyn via train and subway for 2 Seders and a bit of running .