Masters Running

40's On the Run - Week of 02/02/08 - And the Giants Win!! (Read 543 times)

Cute pics, Cindy! Ah! And you missed me! Yes Carol - I have a yoga DVD, but haven't given it a whirl in a few years. May have to try it again. Thumbs up for pushing the hub. Before you know it, he'll be running the entire 3 miles! Did an hour of cardio with The Firm gals. Between my run yesterday (first one in 2 weeks) and all the stepping and squatting this morning, but legs are a bit pooped. Tomorrow will be a day off since I have to fly down to Pasadena, but will get in an hour of running Saturday morning. Hope you all have a great day!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

BTY

Just got back from my best run in a while. Program called for 6 miles of easy running. Checked with my boss to make sure it was ok to take a long lunch and work late (not officially approvable, but she is COOL Smile Cool I've been running mostly 10:00 miles. I ran the 1st and 6th miles at about that pace, and the 4 in between at an avg pace of about 8:30 or so. The reason I am as happy as I am about that pace, is that about 2-1/4 of those 4 miles were 1/2" of snow and slop on top of 1/4" of ice, with an air temp of 29F. There were very few runners out there today and even few walkers, though I was surprised Surprised to see bicycle tire tracks. Oh, and my pace would have calculated out faster except that there was this tree that fell across the path due to the weight of all of the ice on its branches, and there was no way to go around it, so I had to decide to go either over it or under it (under won). First obstacle course I've completed in decades. bty
        Happy Thursday all, Glad you're feeling better Leslie. That cough will probably stick with you for awhile. My mom just got over something similiar and she's had this gawd awful cough forever. She's feeling much better but the cough is sticking around for awhile. Glad you got some "chunks" coughed up! Nice run BTY, obstacle course and snow, woot, woot! Great pace. I'm still slow as a turtle.....but still plugging away at it. Carol, glad to hear you and the hub got a nice run in together. Way to push him through it. We all need that sometimes. Mtnchk, did ya figure out your day? I did another 5 miles this afternoon. 11:45 pace.... Shower time......Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
          Farmer Jim - I just looked at your profile. Ha! You're a gas!

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hey Joe - This past summer my son Joe asked if we could finally go to a Giants Training Camp practice at UAlbany, so we finally relented (it's all of 6 miles from my house, and they've been there for how many years now?). At the end of practice, Joe got two of the players to sign his Giants' Red White and Blue Football - Eli Manning and Lawrence Tynes. How cool is that? Big grin
            Hey Brian,that is really cool!!When your son had them sign that ball,who knew what kind of ending this season would have!!! Shocked Truly unbelievable and one of the Great NY sports moments of all time!!Take good care of it.That ball will be worth something some day.Nice run for you too.Way to stick it out . Way to stick it out for Mr Carol too! Gee Carol,you have your whole family out there pounding the pavement!Good job! Leslie-Glad to hear you're feeling better! CoolThat was quite a wallop to your health.Do you think that you and DH caught it in Prague? Kudos to Cindy,Saph,Teresa,and anyone else out there in the "slop".Real troopers don't let a little weather slow them down! Nice run for you too Arla.To answer your question way back about soreness; I have been remarkably pain free.(knock on wood,etc.) I have been treating my warmups very seriuosly and spending the first few miles of these loooong runs as warmups.Anything tightens up,I slow down to stretch it out.That and walking/stretching afterwards has seemed to work well. Tongue Good run for you Jewels and who cares about pace.You're faster than ALOT of other folks! Farm-that's a dangerous job you have there!Please be careful,we need you here.Good to hear that your runs are going better.Don't push too hard now.... Had a nice 8 miler this morning@ 9:10 pace.Got out there about 5:30am and just when I'm feeling tired,the sun comes up and drives me to the finish. Have a good one kids! Smile

Runs with ALTITUDE!

I ran outside today It was only 4.5 miles, the trails are still snow covered in parts, but oh boy! Did it feel good to be OFF the treadmill

Top 'O the World!

I ran outside today It was only 4.5 miles, the trails are still snow covered in parts, but oh boy! Did it feel good to be OFF the treadmill
                YAY Saph!! Wink & Tomorrow's supposed to "eventually" be a bit warmer yet......58*F by Sat/Sun Smile I ended up being required to run some errands, including regluing one of my temp crowns back on Roll eyes .....could've squished a short run in this afternoon....just as the wind was picking up around here....although, it really didn't seem to be all that bad....decided to just move my rest day ~ so will run tomorrow... Great runs everybody! Woo-Hoo!
                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

I had to run 5 miles on the treadmill at the Y today, because the snow was blowing and there were too many crazy drivers/snowplows out on the roads - school was cancelled, too. But I ran "with" my 15-year-old son, which was a blast! He set his TM for "easy" 7:30 miles and I put mine on 11:30! I told him that's the only way I will ever be able to keep up with him. It makes me so happy that he LIKED doing that! He's a good kid. More snow predicted tomorrow, Saturday, Sunday, and next week! Wild. Stay safe on the roads, everyone!

Ultrachick

I guess I can fit in with this group-I've been logging 40+ miles for the past couple weeks. Fatozzig, glad to see you back! Bummer about being sick-I skimmed through all the past posts. Certainly wish I was in CO-we only got 16" dumped on us here in northern VT with yesterday's storm. It made for a quiet 8 mile run tonight. I'm getting ready for Boston and am looking at 18m for Sunday. I hope the roads are still snowy so it'll be soft landing on the roads. I'm more of a trail runner. Good job everyone getting the miles in! Kelly
                    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                      Welcome back, Ultrachick. I haven't been on the trails in three weeks, this week is #4. Cry Teresa, that's great that you and your son got to spend quality time together. I drove like a maniac down the highway (80) to get to the airport on time 'cause I was running late - plane delayed at least 2 hours! Grrrrr! Too fogged in at San Fran. I am so stupid. I know better than to fly through SFO! So now instead of having all day in Pasadena, I'm gonna be lucky if I get there by late afternoon. I'm only about 20 minutes from home, but I can't leave and come back. I'm going to miss my connecting flight (of course), but I can't get guaranteed a seat on another plane yet. Angry And the bar isn't even open yet!! Angry Angry This is going to be a looooooong day.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Saph - I love your little graphics guys. How do you do that? Leslie - keeping my fingers crossed that you'll get on a timely connecting flight. Ultrachick - I'm running Boston, too. Are you listed on the Intrepid Racers calendar?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ultrachick

Hi Holly - I don't think so....where and what is it? Leslie - I'm not envying you stuck at the airport. Do you have your running stuff with you? You should always be prepared... Big grin Kelly
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

Marathon Maniac #957

Ultrachick - it's one of the threads about halfway down the page, titled: Intrepid Racers - February 9 & Ahead! http://runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/a22f1fee90884b11bbe73a372b9ec8e7 That's where we post our upcoming races. Then you can see who from the forum might be racing the same race. There will be a lot of meet-up activity at Boston. 40's On the Run folks - feel free to post on the daily thread as well as here. There are lots of nice people over there. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BTY

This program that I'm on for the 10k in April has a lot more variation in distance than I've been running in Jan - Feb. Most of my runs were from 4 to 5 miles, with an odd 6-miler here and there. This week's runs have been: 3 - 5 - 3 - 6 - 3 and tomorrow will be another 6. I have an event at my church tomorrow morning and will probably bring my running stuff with me so I can run in the new gym afterwards - my boys will be there so they can shoot hoops or throw a football while I'm running. Have a great weekend, 40's.

Top 'O the World!

TGIF Everybody!! Thanks for the invite Holly! I lurk over there quite a bit, but sometimes I just feel a bit too um "green"?....still learning & trying to get my proprioception aligned... Smile Had a little window w/mostly clear skies & w/o much wind this am...can't get any of my thermometers to agree on temp...somewhere btwn 18* & 30* @ 8:15am ~ felt more like 18!...so, me & Mairead took one crusty snow & ice challenged loop around the neighborhood for 5.76 mi in 73 mins.(12:40ish pc)....now, thinking back on my 'ice dance' ~ I be thinkin' part of that's gotta look a bit dorky!! lol! 'specially my 'not-so-color-coordinated' gear Big grin & I still haven't gotten the YakTraks...Hey! At least my shoes don't get wet in that type of dry crunchy snow! So!...., I keep seeing these folks running along the side of a 4 laner- in the bicycle zone - (I'm safely up on the sometimes cleared sidewalk - & only for a couple of blocks before I can duck back onto the trail..) ?? Shocked literally just a few feet from cars flying by @ 60+ mph....I don't ride my bicycle down the interstate neither! I also don't much care to breathe the fumes for any longer than I have to, so I keep off that part of the route as much as possible ~ anyway.....so, I watched this gal coming up (good hill!) the street that I was turning onto for a little bit...looking all easy & effortless ( Confused ) & I paced her for about 50 yds (yay me!) solid easy 8:15pc!! UPHILL! Dang!! Mairead even looked at me like, "What R ya doin?!"
                                Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group