Masters Running

Wednesday's Runs, Rests, and Realities (Read 601 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

The Philadelphia Marathon is one of those races with polarized opinions. I know people who really like it, and lots of folks who really really don't. I don't know anyone in the middle, which is interesting to me.
    First of all, I have no idea why you're taking training advice from a whiskey brewer.... Secondly, what are the reasons given by the people who really don't like Philly?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Posting this late in the afternoon is always so much fun since it gives me the flavor of the whole day. 10 miles this morning with 6x30 sec striders. The orchards are in full bloom. It was hard to come back home. DH and I had a great time with Ribs last nigth. What a great gentleman. I just posted "my" side of the story on the Mariposai thread with some pictures.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Holly S. depends. Would I be in trouble if it were me? If so, definitely my editor wrote all that!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

lamerunner (sorry, just can't leave it at lame) - He's a rescue kitty (all of 5 of them are), so it's possible he has Siamese. I believe that's Oscar aka Gumba. He's all black (okay, they're all black) except for a big white patch on his belly. He's the only cat I've ever had that likes to have his belly scratched. The others will leave you with hands requiring stitches. SLO - The Frito Bandito!! I used to have a Frito Bandito pencil topper. Big grin Aye, yii, yii, yiiii, I am the Frito Bandito. I like Frito's Corn Chips, I love them I do. I want Frito's Corn Chips, I'll get them from you. ***** Aye, yii, yii, yiiii, Oh, I am the Frito Bandito. Give me Frito Corn chips And I'll be your friend. The Frito Bandito You must not offend.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly S. depends. Would I be in trouble if it were me? If so, definitely my editor wrote all that!
            Oh, those were Dg's words. She was having trouble posting, so she e-mailed her post to me to put up here.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

SLO - The Frito Bandito!! I used to have a Frito Bandito pencil topper. Big grin Aye, yii, yii, yiiii, I am the Frito Bandito. I like Frito's Corn Chips, I love them I do. I want Frito's Corn Chips, I'll get them from you. ***** Aye, yii, yii, yiiii, Oh, I am the Frito Bandito. Give me Frito Corn chips And I'll be your friend. The Frito Bandito You must not offend.
              You weren't cool if you didn't have the Frito Bandito eraser ! That song popped into my head during a conversation yesterday so I had to go on a Frito Bandito JPG hunt,

Marathon Maniac #3309

speed work on a treadmill is a whole lot more fun
                Those two words just don't belong together Tongue Helluva nice workout though!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

xor

First of all, I have no idea why you're taking training advice from a whiskey brewer.... Secondly, what are the reasons given by the people who really don't like Philly?
                  First off... I've not done this race; this is only stuff I've heard. Which means it has to be filtered and taken with a grain of salt. BTW, the reasons why I haven't done this race aren't because of this stuff... I haven't done it because it is usually on a no-travel weekend for me. The four things I hear a lot about: 1. The start has always been goofy at this race, especially since they added a half. People line up all screwy, so you have to do a lot of passing the walkers who lined up at the front. I heard that they did corrals in 08, but nobody really enforced it, so it was sameasiteverwas. 2. I always hear about screwy mile markers. 3. The last mile heading into the finish are very crowded with spectators who spill into the running lanes. NOW... this is an interesting one to me. This annoys many people, but it is ALSO a favorite of many other people. Tons of people cheering seems pretty cool to me. Then again, I remember the crowd at the end of Vermont and I remember having to dodge a lady with a stroller who decided to cross the street in front of me at MCM... so I can see how it might annoy some folks. 4. The expo sucks. HOWEVER, I think last year, they at least moved it indoors. I can't imagine dealing with packet pickup in November in Philadelphia outside. Seems weird. And no longer an issue. I've heard about cobblestone running (?), but I don't think there's that much, if any these days. I dunno about that. ANYWAY. I'm not trying to poo-poo the race. I only poo poo races I personally didn't like... and out of 500ish halves and fulls and whathaveyou, I probably only have 10 or so that I outright hated. I just think it is interesting to hear maniacs and 50-staters talk about Philly. It's either the best race ever or the worst race ever. Who knows? I do know that their website kind of blows. But that's true about lots of races Smile. Also, I think last year was super cold, so there was lots of slippery ice at aid stations from prior-runners' water cups. This is totally normal. But it seems to me that the org probably knew about the cold in advance and could have stocked the stations with salt or de-icer. Having someone break a bone at an aid station is bad mojo. To anyone who chooses to defend Philly: have at it. All that stuff, save my comments on the website, are secondhand.

King of PhotoShop

I bet that over the years I have read ten or more posts in which srl has given us an overview of a marathon based on either his own experience or what he has heard from his vast MM running community. He could write a book on this subject. I find his comments on this topic interesting. No one ever summarizes a race like this. That was a great post. One more comment about my trip here. I know this fashion of "branding" things is big business today, with all the ballparks named Citifield or Safeco Park and so on, but how cheesy is the State of Washington! Yesterday I drove over a big mountain range that was named after a popular powdered dishwasher detergent. That is too much! Was going to run 8 today but cut it short at a bit over 4 as it is raining and I don't have enough stuff to wear. My fingers are really cold. Spareribs
                      dg, that's quite the adventure you had getting locked out. Also, when you mentioned a new baby the other day, I didn't realize it was a grand baby. Congrats to you (and, of course, the parents). Nice long runs for bike and mariposai (with speedwork). Good job on the speedwork for breger and Holly. This morning it was about 50° with a light breeze. I got in 8 miles in a little under 1:19 for a 9:50 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                      xor

Heck, that wasn't one of my better efforts. It has (at least one) grammar mistake(s), it rambles, and it only encapsulates the stuff I hear lots about - missing lots of one-off comments. And it doesn't even have good jokes or sexual innuendo. Incidentally, the *real* reason why I suspect this race generates polarized opinion comes down to how a traveler deals with, well, that special "charm" of the fine folks from Philadelphia or other NE cities. Incidentally #2, I've traveled all over the world and I'm here to tell you that the meanest people on Planet Earth... at least in a concentrated group... work at Logan Airport. I know that's not Philly, but there you go. Spareribs, the reason why WA state has survived so long without a state income tax is because of that sponsorship deal we signed for the Cascade mountains. Oh sure, sales tax here in Seattle is about 10% and our infrastructure is crumbling, but those mountains are clean! Alas, you probably missed Whiskey Dick Mountain. This is where the Whiskey Dick Triathlon is held. I haven't participated in a triathlon since 1992, but I surely want a Whiskey Dick race shirt.

Renee the dog

I'd love to see the list of the 10 hated SRL. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

fatozzig- I also have a cat who loves to have his belly rubbed, also a rescue cat. Oh those pesky keys. When DW and I went on our honeymoon we decided to go on a cruise. We had locked our luggage for the flight down to Florida, and when we arrived we discovered that I had lost the keys to our luggage. Luckily luggage locks are not so hard to pick and luckily we had clothes for our trip. When we arrived back we were putting everything in the rental car. DW had started it up so the AC could take effect. With both sets of keys in the car DW hit the lock button and closed the door. $85 and a locksmith later we were able to drive away. After this inauspicious start we will celebrate our 16th anniversary this summer. Ribs- you crack me up. Imagine how good the cascade mountains look at dawn. <insert groan="" here=""></insert>

King of PhotoShop

Nono, I didn't mean to imply he writes about races he hates (although I recall his great post about Cowtown in Ft. Worth), but about any of his recaps. They are simply loaded with useful information. If I were considering running some marathon the first person I would ask is Robert. He has either run it, or knows dozens of people who have. Cascade at Dawn? Craneium!! Spareribs
                                Cascade at Dawn? What a Joy!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."