Masters Running

Wednesday Shorty's Coming Home Runs and Celebrations! (Read 457 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  Yep—it’s starting to drizzle here, too.  I guess winter is, finally, on its way.  We knew this wouldn’t last forever.

Yes—Shorty is coming home!  Good luck with everything, Leslie!

Jlynne—I give you a lot of credit for taking swimming lesson.  I hope they work out better for you than me.  I took group lessons and private lessons—a couple of different times and I could never get it.  I can’t get my feet to be floppy like flippers.  They would put me on a kick board and laugh as I started going backward.  I might try again, someday.  After all—you do need to swim to do an Ironman—which is on my bucket list.

Hey wild—you had to pick the hardest dang marathon in Wyoming, didn’t you?  Well, I’m thinking real hard about doing it.  If Ryan—by some miracle—makes it to Nationals in track—they’re being held Pueblo, CO the day before.  So I could just drive the 4 hours up the road and be there.  I’m also, thinking about fitting in the Knoxville Marathon on April 1st.  We’ll see how everything works out.

Mary—I sure hope your calf loosens up.  That happens to me every once in a while, too, and then it’s fine the next time I go out.  Oh—a girl has taken Tim away from us, huh?  Dang women!

I’m glad to hear things are starting to loosen up for you, Jay.  By the way—I think my DW would make a good race walker—she can walk faster than she can run.

Buehrle—I love it when my mind goes to that place…I wonder if it’s the same place…

Holly—you have some of the craziest workout schedules.  I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.  That’s cool, though.

Byhyll—good luck with your half!  I have a feeling you’re going to go sub 8’s.

Mtnchk1—I’m with you on the wind.  Bring on the cold—but, please, no wind.  Although, when I do have to run into the wind, I just think about all those guys who aren’t and how much tougher I’ll be for it…or just about how dumb I am for running into the cold wind.

Good luck in your bike race Slo!  Are you part of a biking forum, too?  You’d probably really enjoy something like that.

Wow, Opie—that sounds tough.  I hope you start feeling better.

Only on here is a 5 mile run considered a “shorty”.

Umm, tomwhite…did you say “shooting”?  Hmmm…

Nice 9 miler, Megan!

Come on, Twocat—fire up, man!

Hi, Tammy!  I hope the back starts feeling better. 

Okay—I really gotta go!  See ya!

Slo

Good luck in your bike race Slo!  Are you part of a biking forum, too?  You’d probably really enjoy something like that.

No...cyclist are overly competitive and equipment focused buttholes.  Joking  Most "cyclist" wouldn't consider doing a race like this because the average speed will likely be 8 - 10 mph. This race is more of a challenge than a true race. The RD shoots for a 50 - 54% finishers list.

C-R

No...cyclist are overly competitive and equipment focused buttholes.  Joking  Most "cyclist" wouldn't consider doing a race like this because the average speed will likely be 8 - 10 mph. This race is more of a challenge than a true race. The RD shoots for a 50 - 54% finishers list.

This made me laugh. And don't forget that they all believe they look like Lance at his peak in their riding clothes.

Drive by - big proposal due today. Was working on it while in Orlando so nice to see it get submitted. No run yet but later today. Also need to give a pint to the blood center.

I'm happy for you both Leslie and Shorty. Enjoy the time together. Time together is precious and we should savor them.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh, man--I am so glad you said that.  To be honest--that has always been my experiance, too.  When I was training for duathlons, I took a cycling training course, and they were all jerks.    

Oh, man--I am so glad you said that.  To be honest--that has always been my experiance, too.  When I was training for duathlons, I took a cycling training course, and they were all jerks.    

As an avid cyclist myself in addition to being a runner, I sure hope you were smiling when you typed that, MikeShocked

Nice to hear that things are taking a turn for the better for you and Shorty, Leslie! Best wishes going forward!

Yesterday I still got a kick out of doing what I call "practical running" where you take care of an errand on a run, such as dropping a book off at the library. So I dropped my car off at the body shop in my running gear and then ran the 3 miles back home along the trail.

Today might really have been the last good-weather outing for a while for our Wednesday group, but Ma Nature gave us a heck of a sendoff. About 30F at the start, but beautiful sunshine and absolutely no wind. I ran the first 4 at a really slow pace to stick with a hobbled friend, then picked it up the last 2 miles to finish at an overall pace of just over 10 minutes. By the time we left the park it was already up to 40 and climbing, but that's coming to an end by tomorrow morning.

Good runs to everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mike E

MM #5615

As an avid cyclist myself in addition to being a runner, I sure hope you were smiling when you typed that, MikeShocked 

Dang!  I knew I would offend somebody.  Just to defend myself...I said that the people in my training course were jerks--not all cyclists.  Some of my best friends are cyclists...oh crap--I better stop, now.  Insert a a big old smiley face thing, here, please...

mrrun

Good luck Fatozzig and Shorty!

As an avid cyclist (non-racer), be careful what you say.  RAL 30's no wind - still slightly achy from yesterday's bike ride, so I have a real excuse to be slow on sunday - although the real reason is lack of training!

marj

Slo

Good luck Fatozzig and Shorty!

As an avid cyclist (non-racer), be careful what you say.  RAL 30's no wind - still slightly achy from yesterday's bike ride, so I have a real excuse to be slow on sunday - although the real reason is lack of training!

marj

Keep in mind marj, there is a difference between and Advid cyclist and a "Real" Cyclist.

"Real" cyclist only wear Lycra or spandex while on a bike. "Real" cyclist don't run. Thats far to beneath them. "Real" cyclist only ride in packs. Never alone else someone may mistake them for a "poser" who has been dropped. A "Real" cyclist would never ride with a backpack or a frame bag, or anything that would add weight to the bike and/or cut down on the aerodynamics.

Me, I'm an ADVID cyclist. I love to ride bikes...any bikes, any time, any where with anybody...except "real" cyclist. Wink

Dave59

I ran 3 miles today around 10:00.  I planned to run a few more later on but things have gotten in the way and it isn't going to happen. 

To me, a bicycle is a way to get to 7-11 for a slurpee, or visit friends (back before I could drive.)   I don't think I will ever understand the people who dress in brightly colored, skin tight clothes, and ride around in groups of 20 or more.  But they do seem to be supporters of the rail trails which have been expanding around here, so I have decided to put up with them. Wink

My garage door broke 2 days ago in a closed position.  (I can't physically budge the thing more than 4 inches.  Very sad indeed.)  No big deal since I work at home and hardly need a car, but today I am supposed to pick up my granddaughter at daycare so I am sitting here hoping the repair guy shows up. 

.......  Some of my best friends are cyclists...

...stop now, and just blame it on Slo//

========

.............28min poolrun

GoodWishes to dave while he's a shut-in.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I was glad to hear that fatozzig got Shorty back. I wish them the best as they move on.

Good job on the speedwork for breger.

This morning, I would not normally have run but, not knowing whether I'll be able to get some miles in the next few days, I went out for 5 miles. It was in the high 20s and almost calm. I finished with a 10:46 pace.

in a few hours, I go to my training session for my 3 day working gig. I'm curious what I'll be doing and how it will go. If anyone is interested, the store has a website at playmakers.com,

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS
                        Mike E

MM #5615

That looks like a great place to work, Tom--good luck!

Henrun

I've been cycling for many years-and I even wear Lycra or spandex-but also running pants and jeans-don't forget that I met Marj on a cycling tour. I've tried riding with 'real' cyclists but I feel like most of you do-they're very snobbish and can only talk about cycling. Even runners have more interests in life than just running.

Speaking of running. Ran close to 6 tempo miles this afternoon-like Marj, I'm not prepared for the half on Sunday (haven't really trained for it) but hope to enjoy 'fun in the sun' and just slug through it.Cool.

HermosaBoy

Beware of  M.A.M.I.L's

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong