Masters Running

40's haulin butt..summer's running away ... (Read 480 times)

Kelly - Congratulations! You da whoa-man!! I'll have to look at the video a bit later. Farmer Jim - Beautiful pics. Don't know why they didn't show for me yesterday. Cindy - Good news on the foot. And only charged half price for the visit?? Sweet!! My day started out bad last night, and it has only gotten worse. First - A guy backed right into me last night at the video store. Whacked my bumper good. Haven't told The Hub yet. Second - Found out I made a HUGE error with my side client - to the tune of almost $5,000. I made some double payments. All I could do was leave a phone message for him last night and leave a note this morning. I haven't heard from him yet, but #@$%*^&@#$!! Besides making such an enormous error, it's from his client trust account. I just hope, hope, hope none of the checks have bounced. Third - Then this morning I get an email from our tax preparer regarding a notice we got about a week ago from the IRS. Seems the lady we'd been using the last few years (same firm, but retired now) wrongly reported our IRA contributions since 2005!! Double ##$%*#&#!!!!!! I can't believe this. So now I'm on pins and needles, waiting for two phone calls I don't want to take. Undecided On the exercise front - did 3 miles this a.m. and 40 minutes of core/strength/knee. Didn't help my mood any.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Kelly, you're a nut but we luv ya Smile. Cindy, good going with the podiatrist. What a find! Glad it looks like something that you can work through and not have to back off too much. R2, woweee, what a temperature range. At least it's cool sometime. Leslie, I'm guessing you can probably get the $$'s back, right?, so no harm no foul in the end. We all make mistakes...'tis how we handle the corrections that shows our character. On the job front, my hubby just got word that they are through with layoffs in his dept, and he is not impacted. He works for American Airlines, so as you can imagine we've been waiting to see what happens. Good to have that little tidbit so I can make a better decision about whether this CFO job is what is best. I'm scheduled to meet w/ the CEO there on Monday. I'm pretty happy with life, and my boss for my nice part time, work from home accounting job gave me a raise this week (unsolicited), so it's gonna have to be something really good. Would have been a diff story had hubby lost his job and we needed me to grab more income, insurance coverage and such again. Over in another group I hear that there is a relay race in Feb. 2009, and a group is trying to form a team of all Type 1 Diabetics. 3 legs of 3 to 8 miles for each participant. Looks like so much fun, and I'm not sure that my other "camp" experience is going to happen this year due to a scheduling conflict, so I may just apply and see if they will take a wannabe like me Smile Would be a good goal after my November half mary. Endorphins and coffee....dangerous combo!
      Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

>>>>Borrowing this from another thread/forum<>World's Strongest Dad [From Sports Illustrated, By Rick Reilly] I try to be a good father. Give my kids mulligans. Work nights to pay For their text messaging. Take them to swimsuit shoots. But compared with Dick Hoyt, I suck. Eighty-five times he's pushed his disabled son, Rick, 26.2 miles in Marathons. Eight times he's not only pushed him 26.2 miles in a Wheelchair but also towed him 2.4 miles in a dinghy while swimming and Pedaled him 112 miles in a seat on the handlebars--all in the same day. Dick's also pulled him cross-country skiing, taken him on his back Mountain climbing and once hauled him across the U.S. On a bike. Makes Taking your son bowling look a little lame, right? And what has Rick done for his father? Not much--except save his life. This love story began in Winchester , Mass. , 43 years ago, when Rick Was strangled by the umbilical cord during birth, leaving him Brain-damaged and unable to control his limbs. "He'll be a vegetable the rest of his life;'' Dick says doctors told him And his wife, Judy, when Rick was nine months old. ``Put him in an Institution.'' But the Hoyts weren't buying it. They noticed the way Rick's eyes Followed them around the room. When Rick was 11 they took him to the Engineering department at Tufts University and asked if there was Anything to help the boy communicate. ``No way,'' Dick says he was told. ``There's nothing going on in his brain.'' "Tell him a joke,'' Dick countered. They did. Rick laughed. Turns out a Lot was going on in his brain. Rigged up with a computer that allowed Him to control the cursor by touching a switch with the side of his Head, Rick was finally able to communicate. First words? ``Go Bruins!'' And after a high school classmate was paralyzed in an accident and the School organized a charity run for him, Rick pecked out, ``Dad, I want To do that.'' Yeah, right. How was Dick, a self-described ``porker'' who never ran More than a mile at a time, going to push his son five miles? Still, he Tried. ``Then it was me who was handicapped,'' Dick says. ``I was sore For two weeks.'' That day changed Rick's life. ``Dad,'' he typed, ``when we were running, It felt like I wasn't disabled anymore!'' And that sentence changed Dick's life. He became obsessed with giving Rick that feeling as often as he could. He got into such hard-belly Shape that he and Rick were ready to try the 1979 Boston Marathon. ``No way,'' Dick was told by a race official. The Hoyts weren't quite a Single runner, and they weren't quite a wheelchair competitor. For a few Years Dick and Rick just joined the massive field and ran anyway, then They found a way to get into the race Officially: In 1983 they ran another marathon so fast they made the Qualifying time for Boston the following year. Then somebody said, ``Hey, Dick, why not a triathlon?'' How's a guy who never learned to swim and hadn't ridden a bike since he Was six going to haul his 110-pound kid through a triathlon? Still, Dick Tried. Now they've done 212 triathlons, including four grueling 15-hour Ironmans in Hawaii . It must be a buzzkill to be a 25-year-old stud Getting passed by an old guy towing a grown man in a dinghy, don't you Think? Hey, Dick, why not see how you'd do on your own? ``No way,'' he says. Dick does it purely for ``the awesome feeling'' he gets seeing Rick with A cantaloupe smile as they run, swim and ride together. This year, at ages 65 and 43, Dick and Rick finished their 24th Boston Marathon, in 5,083rd place out of more than 20,000 starters. Their best Time? Two hours, 40 minutes in 1992--only 35 minutes off the world Record, which, in case you don't keep track of these things, happens to Be held by a guy who was not pushing another man in a wheelchair at the Time. ``No question about it,'' Rick types. ``My dad is the Father of the Century.'' And Dick got something else out of all this too. Two years ago he had a Mild heart attack during a race. Doctors found that one of his arteries Was 95% clogged. ``If you hadn't been in such great shape,'' One doctor told him, ``you probably would've died 15 years ago.'' So, in a way, Dick and Rick saved each other's life. Rick, who has his own apartment (he gets home care) and works in Boston, and Dick, retired from the military and living in Holland, Mass. , always find ways to be together. They give speeches around the country and compete in some backbreaking race every weekend, including this Father's Day. That night, Rick will buy his dad dinner, but the thing he really wants to give him is a gift he can never buy. ``The thing I'd most like,'' Rick types, ``is that my dad sit in the chair and I push him once.'' And the video is below.... click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4B-r8KJhlE
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          I couldn't get YouTube to cooperate on this computer, but I have read their story before and it's quite amazing. Helped me get my whole crappy day into perspective while I self-medicated with alcohol and fattening foods (Mrs. May's almond clusters - yuuuummmmmeeee! Yes ) I would like to say on my behalf that I did not go postal on my boss at 4:57 when he asked if something could be overnighted today to the appeals court 'cause he didn't trust the US mail. I told him no, pick up had already happened. "Well, we'll just overnight it tomorrow." Mind you, I had just finished making 7 copies of all the attachments - proof of service for regular mailing, everything - and had been waiting for almost 20 minutes for him to put down the stupid magazine and get off the toilet so he could sign the pleading, which I had told him many, many times over the last few days and today had to be mailed today to be filed on time and which still needed to be copied. I said, "Fine. I'm leaving all this here," (my copies all over the counter). "You'll just leave this here?" "Yes." Turned off my computer, grabbed my things, and walked out the door before I did or said something that I knew I would not be sorry for. When my time at this office is over, I'm going to present to him a plaque that says "Hi. I'm Mr. Procrastination. Don't ever expect me to get anything done on time. Oh, and I like to spend up to half an hour or more, a couple of times a day, sitting on the toilet reading [insert name] magazine." And yes, his legs have fallen asleep before. Amazing . . . truly amazing.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Kelly - what a big adventure! Looks like a hoot! I've gotta get myself signed up for one of these trail runs. Leslie - take a deep breath...and just continue on. I'm having a fun time with the IRS myself, my accountant's mistake, and he's wanting to bill me $250 for writing a letter to the IRS explaining HIS mistake (which, by the way, he didn't own up to in his letter). Nothing to do but wait until it all works itself out. Carol - super good news on your hub! That Hoyt story gets me every time... Finally got my running mojo back yesterday, first time I've enjoyed my run in over a week, came complete with a nice little "high". Ahhh...yes, I really do like this running thing, I was beginning to wonder! I have a few pics from my bike trip to post, the best are from Beartooth Pass in Montana and from Grand Teton Nat. Park., but first gotta do summer school finals, then it's off to see my mom and brother for a few days in LA. Damn, eventually I'll get caught up with y'all. Arla

Ex runner

. . . my accountant's mistake, and he's wanting to bill me $250 . . .
              Cripes! I hadn't thought about that! Hmmm . . . going postal on the accountant when he sends a bill for this. Hmmmmm . . . Evil grin (he he he. . .)

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

I been trying to get caught up with work after bein' gone, been readin' tho. Leslie your bad streak will end, just keep doning whatcha do and you'll work thru it. It's temporary, and on the job front I'm sure that will all work out also. Keep the faith. Carol its great when you set yourself up to control your own destiny and by the looks of it you have. I had an employee that would always whine about his bad luck, I told him don't leave things to chance and call it bad luck when things go badly. Everyone has their share of bad luck that you just have to endure like I told Leslie, for me its bad luck if I get hailed, but if I don't have insurance thats just poor management. Cindy great news on the foot issue, Lynda has similar issues finding wide enough shoes, I'm the opposite(narrow). WTG Doug on the run and x train programs. Any decent half marys in early sep or mid nov in CO? Joe glad Buddy got to go at least part way with ya. Kudos on the pushups. I think I could do about 5 ;-). Arla looking foward to the pics and hopefully a trip report???? Living with an attorney with an accounting degree has its perks sometimes, we have pretty good sets of books. She is a pretty mean John Deere driver also!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Before my fingers do anymore typing, I'd like to apologize hugely for my ranting yesterday. Undecided When I'm that cranky, I need to just stay away from people and the keyboard. Should probably just lock myself in my bedroom with the shades down until 24 hours have passed and start all over again. This morning hasn't started off a whole lot better, but I'm determined to not let it get to me as bad as it did yesterday. And I indulged in a donut this a.m. to help sweeten my disposition. Smile Arla - Would definitely love to see pics of your vacation and, if you're so inclined, give us a little vai-cai report. And glad you're getting your running mojo back. It's hard to get any kind of mojo back after vacation! Farmer Jim - Lynda's an attorney and has an accounting degree?? Dude, you have quite the woman there. Joe - Am meeting w/Coach this Saturday to put together a better workout schedule. I'm going to show him the 100 pushups thing and ask for it to be incorporated in. I have to do them on my knees, though. Just don't have enough upper body strength right now to do them the regular way. I did some using the flip side of my BOSU this morning, and with the hands in a more neutral position, my wrists didn't bother me as bad. I've been looking at getting a set of these http://www.perfectpushup.com/goo_opt/M2/HTML/m2.html?gclid=CMXGkt_B6pQCFSQdagodiy1CSw. I saw the inventor on "The Big Idea" with Danny Deutsch. What he said about keeping the hands in a more neutral position, along with my experiences/injuries related to typing, make sense to me. At work, I use one of these http://www.keyovation.com/c-2-ergonomic-keyboards.aspx, and it's made all the difference with regard to wrist pain. On the exercise front - An hour of strength/core/knee this a.m. I'm adding more tension/weight to the Bowflex for almost all of my exercises, so I guess things are starting to work!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Any decent half marys in early sep or mid nov in CO? !!
                    have you checked out this site? http://www.coloradorunnermag.com/calendar the Park to Park 10 miler also gets some kudos from some of the locals down here.... I can pop over to the Denver area group & see what folks over there say...you're welcome over there too Wink...you met 3 of those folks @ BB http://runningahead.com/groups/DAR/Forum & what shoes has Lynda found to work well??? I'm back in Saucony - ProGrid Omni 7 Ultimate, D width...think I'm going to chat w/my internet shopping guru friend to see what she can find online....Doc suggested men's shoes BUT apparently I have small feet for a "man!" cause I keep getting that "deer in the headlights" look from the sales associates when I ask for Men's size 6! Boot camp this am was 1/2 mile track w/u, bunches of jumping jacks (of which I cheated w/lots of breaks cause I'm supposed to minimize forefoot impact...) & dead lifts to failure....I think I made it to 145 lbs..one of the women asked if "this was a good workout" to which coach said "NO" but it has different benefits..trying to mix up aerobic, anaerobic & this type (I don't remember what he called it..)...IOW I heard- "go do your regular w/o, etc".....so I went for 3.66 more hilly hot miles....84*F @ 830am already!! Shocked AHR over 155 @ that temp for me. Sad now have my foot planted in an "ice bag" Oh, News says "Denver has the highest percentage of Baby Boomers of any other metro-city w/32.8% btwn 35 - 54 yoa"
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Cindy - Jim told me to just post what I have for shoes. I started out in the Asics 2110 and then went to Asics 2120 - I am on my second pair and still do well with them. When in Boulder for the race they put me in some Saucony ProGrid Guides but I don't think they are wide widths. If I remember correctly - which is always an iffy thing - I tried on the wides and didn't care for them. I really like the Saucony pair but still have no complaints about my Asics. I, however, do not run near the miles that you do. I used to buy all of my tennis shoes in boys because they were wider than women's and fit me better. Boys do not have the support, etc. that I need these days. I have never tried men's but wouldn't be opposed to it. Hope this helps - Lynda

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hi Lynda!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Ditto here~ Hi Lynda. Good to "hear" from you! Obviously Jim outkicked his coverage, so to speak, and married above his head! Good luck to you and Cindy on the shoe thing. I'm lucky enough to be able to walk into pretty much any shoe store, pluck down $125 bucks for a standard size 10.5,and be on my way. Did exactly that this morning, as a matter of fact. Brand new Nike'$$$s felt great on tonight's run. Arla- glad your runs are going better.How's the heat out there? Still cookin? Do you get a break before the school year starts? Carol- Your job situation sounds level headed and well thought out.Hope that your camp works out for you. Cindy- here's to hoping that foot feels better. Good luck on the shoe front.Thanks for the "Strongest Dad"story too.I had not seen that,truly inspiring. Leslie- we don't really care if you rant ,vent all you want! As a matter of fact,nothing cures anxiety like a good workout. Your boss sounds like (as Kelly's trail running friends might say) a real pissah. I have tried the "perfect pushup" device and think it's very good. However, for the purpose of the 100 pushup challenge, I have to stick with the old fashioned kind. I do most of them during my runs, so it would not be praticle to carry them around.Good luck with your pushups,and whichever way works best for you. Short tempo run down by and on the beach this evening. Around sundown is a good time for Buddy and I to go down there. Finished up with over 200 miles this month, beating my previous best by 30m or so! Looking at the Philadelphia Marathon on Nov23rd, exactly 16 weeks from this Sunday. Roll eyes

Joe - Over 200 miles in one month?!? You and Kelly - you guys are my heroes! Guess what I got as a present tonight?? Anti Monkey Butt Powder!! The Hub's work just started carrying it. Too funny! I'm taking it to Headlands Hundred next weekend. Somebody may need it around 2:00 am. Big grin

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Good Morning Everyone, looks like we're all doing well. Hi Lynda! Nice to meet you. Carol-Good luck with the job. I still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up. I've actually spent this week checking out going back to school. The job I have now isn't exactly what I want to be doing and I need to make a better living. Cindy-Hope the foot gets better soon. Leslie-You can use dummbbells to hold onto for your pushups. 8lbs or bigger are good so your hands don't get squished. Ones with a flat spot or hexagon shaped work better than the round but think of the extra challenge from preventing them to roll! Big grin No worries about the ranting and raving. I've got some ranting and raving myself to do but it's to do with kids, exhusband (from the dark ages-sorry guys) etc. If I spill it here it could be used in court against me Wink Joe-Congrats on the mileage PR. I get the coaches discount at our local running store so I haven't paid over $100 for my sneakers in a long time. I'm also lucky in that what I wear is already priced below $100. The roadies are close at $95 which I bought last week and now it looks like I need a new pair of trails this week. Arla-How's the catching up coming? Smile Did I tell you all that there was a screw up in the results and I finished 1st Female Master last weekend? I'm very excited since that was a goal I had for this race. It also bumps me up to 10th woman overall-sorry if I'm repeating myself. Have a good day Everyone-Many miles with many smiles Kelly
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

4 slow sweaty sucky miles. Lynda and I worked til 7 last nite then cleaned up and went to town. Went to a show at our county fair with a young up and comer, kinda old time rodeo dance music. http://www.jimriceband.com/Very good listening with a couple of crown royals, so it was midnight when we got to bed then 3 oclock I feel a tick crawling across my face Yuuuuuuuuuck. It had hitched a ride from our "Ticksville Farm" and apparently tagged along even after showering. Anyway had a hard time getting to back to sleep with the creepy crawlys then woke up feeling crummy from not enough sleep, too much weed pollen yesterday, and probably didn't need the Crown either. Joe fantastic PR monthly mileage!!!! Kelly congrats on the win, yaaaay Leslie you are among friends rant on. c youse I better get to work.