Masters Running

Houston Marathon RR (Read 394 times)

HermosaBoy

Well, this is going to be an abbreviated race report since I don't have a lot to say. This was pretty much a PERFECT performance according to the plan. The plan was to run as follows: 6:25 for the first 5 miles 6:20 for the next 5 miles 6:15 from 10 to 20 Let'r rip from 20 to the finish So, Brian and I lined up in the second row behind the elites and felt pretty good except for the large number of people in front of us that probably shouldn't be there -- ignore them!!! When the go word sounded (canon was a bit late), we took off. I was a bit aggressive to get around the yahoos and was a bit too fast for the first half mile. I did settle in and hit the first mile in 6:24. Cruised along until we joined up with the half marathoners. Then the SKY FELL!!!!! Cruising along, feeling decent and what do I see??? KeeMan WALKING on the side of the road about 2.5 miles into his race half marathon race!!!! WTF?? I am a fricking basket case!!!! I yell at him to bag it and walk it in. I don't know what to do! Brian tells me to just focus on my race and forget about it. Hard to do as a protective father. Then I realize that my son is a VERY smart runner and will do what is right. I try to settle in, but am a basketcase until we pass the turnaround point for the half. Fortunately, Brian reigned me in successfully -- if it wasn't for him, I would have tried to run 2:30 to finish closer to KeeMan... So, once I settled in, I was right on what the play was!!!! Here's the bottom line -- My goals was 2:44:59, I ran 2:44:49. Could I have run faster? Maybe, but I ran the race EXACTLY as I planned -- no complaints!!! Fashion report? How about video? http://www.finishcam.com/Events/2009-Chevron-Houston-Marathon/WatchFinish.asp?FinisherId=92327&Camera=2 Check out the chicken that beat me at the finish! As for KeeMan -- due to an abbreviated warm-up, he was fighting shin splint like pain through the first 5 miles. He still recovered to run 1:21ish and taunt me that there is no way he would DNF. Tough young man!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

#artbydmcbride

A rubber chicken!!!! Big grin Awesome hermosaboy!! Incredible! Smile

Runners run

xor

That's really cool and a great race. But who is KeeMan?

HermosaBoy

That's really cool and a great race. But who is KeeMan?
          KeeMan is my 17 year old speedster son. Which reminds me - BAD FATHER!!!! CamScam my 13 year old finished in the top 41st overall in the 5k -- what a rockstar!!!

Rob

xor

Today, you are hermosaman.

HermosaBoy

Domo

Rob

Renee the dog

Here's the bottom line -- My goals was 2:44:59, I ran 2:44:49. \
                Congratulations for nailing it! Fantastic. Congrats too to your sons. Sounds like a perfect race day for the family!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

This was pretty much a PERFECT performance according to the plan.
                  And quite a speedy one at that. Congratulations. Keeman WALKED for a bit and still ran a 1:21 HM? Jeepers!
                    wow!! speedy family!! congrats!!

denise

hermosasteed

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

wildchild

Carolyn

Hermosastud! And justifiably proud dad too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Wow, smokin fast as usual...I wouldn't have expected anything else from you Hermosaboy! You ran a very smart race indeed, especially considering the fact that you were so concerned with KeeMan...great that you had a friend to reel you in. And KeeMan a 1:21 and change even after walking and experiencing shin pain...holy carp! And of course the younger CamScam ran a pretty smokin 5K as well. I am sure you are very proud of your boys, you certainly have a right to be...and I'm pretty sure they are just as proud of their dad. Wink
                          busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congrats on a damned fast race! Especially as you were able to hit your plan so well. Great job by your sons too! It reminds me of a line in The Incredibles: "Its a whole family of supers!"
                            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                            also on Twitter
                              It reminds me of a line in The Incredibles: "Its a whole family of supers!"
                              Ditto! Must be a great feeling to have executed your plan flawlessly.....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Wow, awesome job Hermosa! Thank goodness for Brian to reign you in. It is so helpful to run with other folks during a marathon - they keep your pace sane in the beginning and help you out at the end. You can go after that 2:30 in the next one! And add me to the list of those totally amazed at KeeMan's 1:21 with walking and shin splints. He is going to be one fantastic marathoner one day!!

Once a runner . . .