Masters Running

Houston Marathon RR (Read 394 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Awesome racing! I love the video of your finish, too. You look so strong and speedy, even at the end! And KeeMan, walking at 2.5 miles yet still finishing with a 1:21 – excellent! Looks like both your boys will be giving you a run for your money soon. BTW - did you know the guy who gave you the chicken, or was he just part of the crowd?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

I imagine the other competitors were happy to see the last of the Hermosa clan leave town. What a performance! Hope you aren't too bummed about missing your goal by ten seconds. I doubt I've seen a better planned and executed race, with precision focus too. Congratulations. Spareribs
      HermosaBoy

Awesome racing! I love the video of your finish, too. You look so strong and speedy, even at the end! And KeeMan, walking at 2.5 miles yet still finishing with a 1:21 – excellent! Looks like both your boys will be giving you a run for your money soon. BTW - did you know the guy who gave you the chicken, or was he just part of the crowd?
        Yes, it was actually KeeMan. Short version of a LONG story -- The Chicken is our mascot for MN RED. During our first trip to the Ragnar Relay, someone brought The Chicken and he has gone to races all over the country since then. We have some VERY interesting pictures of him being arrested in Boston, stalking Ryan Hall and things of that nature. I think this is the first time we have video of The Chicken finishing a marathon. Currently he is on his way to Maui for the inaugural Maui Oceanfront marathon -- tough life!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

TammyinGP

SWEEEEEET Race!! All three of you performed VERY VERY well! Congratulations!

Tammy

xor

Currently he is on his way to Maui for the inaugural Maui Oceanfront marathon -- tough life!
            Well, if chicken wants his own number and shirt, have him pick up the packet for "Robert Lopez". I was one of the first people to register for this race last year... and I can't go.

DoppleBock

Well, this is going to be an abbreviated race report since I don't have a lot to say. This was pretty much a PERFECT performance according to the plan. The plan was to run as follows: 6:25 for the first 5 miles 6:20 for the next 5 miles 6:15 from 10 to 20 Let'r rip from 20 to the finish
              Congrats on the great race and discipline to stick to plan. I see 10k = 6:25 next 7.9 = 6:19 (to 1/2 M) next 5.53 = 6:14 (to 30k) final 7.58 = 6:12 (To finish) The question I have from recent conversations on pacing and the best way to hit your goal - even splits, slightly possitive or slightly negative. Your plan / actual was to negative split by @ 2 minutes - Can you let us now your thought process behind your plan? We are all expecting even faster marathons - When is your next race?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Great race... Sounds like you planned a very smart race and stuck to it. Its great to run with the fam... That must have been very cool! I see I'm going to have to get serious (or younger) if I want to keep up with you. What's the next race? Ray
                HermosaBoy

Congrats on the great race and discipline to stick to plan. I see 10k = 6:25 next 7.9 = 6:19 (to 1/2 M) next 5.53 = 6:14 (to 30k) final 7.58 = 6:12 (To finish) The question I have from recent conversations on pacing and the best way to hit your goal - even splits, slightly possitive or slightly negative. Your plan / actual was to negative split by @ 2 minutes - Can you let us now your thought process behind your plan? We are all expecting even faster marathons - When is your next race?
                  Well, it was a little haphazard overall. I was running with my training partner Brian, who was hoping to stay with me the whole way but was not confident in his ability to do so. That was the reason for the 6:25s. Ultimately, I wanted to ease into it a bit. I thought the first 5 at 6:25 felt WONDERFUL! Could they have been 6:20s? Probably... Initially I was hoping to run 6:00 to the finish, but at some point I realized that it wasn't going to make that much of a difference overall. If I think of it tonight, I will update my overall splits instead of just the broadstrokes. Next race? TBD -- Chicago is a possibility but there are some logistics to take care of relative to KeeMan and CamScam's XC season. New overall goal pace is 6:00 to 6:05... Smile

Rob

Great job, hermosa. You nailed your plan. Congratulations. Congratulations also to KeeMan and CamScam. TomS
                      hermosa. How do you plan on modifying your training to drop to 6 mpm marathon pace from where you are currently?

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

HermosaBoy

hermosa. How do you plan on modifying your training to drop to 6 mpm marathon pace from where you are currently?
                        Run more miles and faster. Wink Not sure yet, going to be sitting down with my coach in the near future and try to map some stuff out. He has done a pretty good job for me over the last 2.5 years. When I started training with him, I was a 3:14 marathoner and 18:35 5k runner. Since then, he has lowered my times in all events from the mile to the marathon -- by a pretty good amount.

Rob

I'd be interested to know how he changes your training. More speed work? Intensity levels on all workouts, etc? Or maybe you're already on the path to that 2:30 and just need more seasoning?

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

DoppleBock

Run more miles and faster. Wink Not sure yet, going to be sitting down with my coach in the near future and try to map some stuff out. He has done a pretty good job for me over the last 2.5 years. When I started training with him, I was a 3:14 marathoner and 18:35 5k runner. Since then, he has lowered my times in all events from the mile to the marathon -- by a pretty good amount.
                            You gotta love that improvement ... I love to see someone working hard / smart and be rewarded. I know you still have to do all the work Big grin, but ... is it a local coach or online - If online are you willingto share who? My problem is I am a guy who doesn't value things like cable or dish, cell phones, onstar etc enough to pay for them ... so a coach is a tough choice. I value one enough to pay some $$, but the one I had considered was a little more than I was willing to pay.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

... New overall goal pace is 6:00 to 6:05... Smile
                              I'm hoping you have better success knocking off those last few minutes than I have.... Chicago is probably a good place to take a shot (if the weather is good). - Go for it now while you are (relatively) young - it doesn't get any easier as you head toward 50. Ray
                              HermosaBoy

You gotta love that improvement ... I love to see someone working hard / smart and be rewarded. I know you still have to do all the work Big grin, but ... is it a local coach or online - If online are you willingto share who? My problem is I am a guy who doesn't value things like cable or dish, cell phones, onstar etc enough to pay for them ... so a coach is a tough choice. I value one enough to pay some $$, but the one I had considered was a little more than I was willing to pay.
                                He is a local guy. He used to run for Nike and I think was a OT contender for the 5k back in the day. His philosphies are fairly well based on Daniels with a little Lydiard sprinkled in. Nothing overly complex if I really think about it, but he has done a great job for Brian and me. I know that he is doing some distance coaching for others if you are interested. His fees are definitely not high! I think I pay less for a full year with him than I did for one training cycle with an online coach.

Rob