Masters Running

Tue Mar 18 Runs and Workouts (Read 622 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy post-St Paddy's day to all. did you know that Boston has a city holiday (Evacuation Day) that coincidentally falls on march 17th each year? Go figure Roll eyes 3.2 miles around the lake for me in 28:22. My shins are still letting me know they're there, but now more like an ache than real pain. Hope they continue on this path. 25F this morning and quite chilly at the start. I think I'm getting ready for spring. Didn't get a chance to post over the weekend, but just passed my 2 year "runnerversary" on the 15th. Back when I started, I guess I had no great ambitions of continuing so long, so didn't pay close attention to the actual 1st day. I've figured the Ides of March was within a day or so and a lot easier to remember. Wink Still not going as far or as fast as I might like, but still going none the less. Can't imagine I'd still be if not for inspiration and prodding I've found here. all the best from someone who runs who's still trying to be a runner. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stepping back in to say so sorry about your loss TomS. The stories of your family and the connection you all share is just incredible and I so admire that. I hope your mother-in-law is resting peacefully now and that you will be sustained by important memories. Godpseed to her CNyrunner
        Lyndenrunner - cut the grass???? We haven't seen that here for months! I'd be so glad to see green grass I would come and cut yours in a heartbeat! Congratulations on your anniversary - hope it's a nice evening. btb1490 - you always offer such sound advice. Instead of thinking running is a task, we need to be grateful that our bodies are capable of doing such marvelous things, especially at my age. Tom, so sorry about your MIL. Our prayers are with you. It's snowing here again - woohoo! We broke the record for snowfall and more predicted for tomorrow. Have a great afternoon, Jeanne

GreenMan

Thanks for the update on your brother Vista Is the collar for JJJesse???? .....
          DW has already tried the collar idea with little success. {{{selbs family}}} jjj
          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
            We're off to Japan for spring break. Actually we're stretching spring break to two weeks - we leave tomorrow and get home on Wed. April 2nd. It's a family vacation, just for fun. DH worked in Japan last year, and wanted to take me and DD there because he liked it. I actually lived there when I was a kid, because my dad worked there for a year. We will celebrate DD's 15th birthday there next weekend.
            Wildchild, have fun in Japan Smile!
              No run yet, this week is messed up with DD having the flu. I will hit the TM tonight for a TNT workout (Tuesday night tempo). Will avoid eating cabbage for dinner! Vista - I am so sorry to hear about your brother's situation. Glad you are going to go see him. I felt from your post that you are preparing for the worst, and I'll just play the part of an optimist here and say that things may not be so dire. He is obviously a very caring, generous person and this may be the event that turns him around to taking care of himself FIRST and everyone else second. Perhaps if he loses the weight his diabetes will resolve (unless it is not that kind) and he can get bypass surgery and live a long life. As always, there are too many posts I'd like to respond to...I'll just do it in my head. Good runs and healing vibes to all.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Thanks to all for the congrats...With DD#2 sick,I don't think we'll be going out together tonight...But the weekend will soon be here
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                  Quote from tselbs on 3/18/2008 at 8:46 AM: Sometimes stubborness and a slavish attitude towards a schedule is what gets me through a run.
                  Words I live by..... Me, too. Great sentiment. Best to your f-in-l and all the family. btb--I liked your quote and insight about fluff, too. Thanks so much. lynden, your "easy" runs... pant! pant! Tongue Happy Anniversary! You know, it's not a dog's life I want, it's Brinkley's life! PDR--I hate meetings. On the other hand, I love sushi. I really love the rush you get from the wasabi, the head/nose wam-bam, o boy. (Yes, I splurged and had sushi for lunch today!) Now I'm just sad it's over. Sad modified to note the next few lines reference CNY's entry today..... I also love Sylvester's...I have my "Northampton...where the coffee is strong and so are the women" mug here on my desk, having bought the mug at Sylvester's. I know the answer to the question, but that's not fair, so I'll give a clue--when his death was reported in the news, H.L. Menchken quipped: "How could they tell?" 8 miles in about 67 minutes for me today--50s and sunny, but windy here, too. grins, A
                  Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

I wonder how many days there have been on the running sites when you offer condolences or sympathy on one hand, to you Tom on the passing of your mother in law, and to you Joey on your brother's situation, and at the same time are able to share the joy of someone else's good fortune, Gordon on his anniversary and Wildchild on her exciting trip to Japan. Thinking of all of you whether with sorrow or joy. DFW is a mess and after sitting in the plane for 3 hours, the flight to Pittsburgh got cancelled and there are no other flights to the NE out of DFW today, so I am back home and reluctantly had to call me client and tell him I can't make it. He has 40 of his team coming to Cumberland, MD to a nice golf resort where I was to be the featured speaker. You can imagine how sore he is at me. I just feel awful about it. The weather here was so bad that after one tornado warning they asked us not to sit by the windows in the terminal! That was a first for me! So tomorrow it's off to Chicago and let's hope the weather is better. Spareribs
                    Mariposai

Butterfly hugs to Spareribs...just because... Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Geez SR, not your fault! I always get annoyed when people get mad at others when things that nobody can control cause problems/delays/outages, whatever. Hope you're able to reschedule soon.... Evryday! Eeek! thanks for pointing that out... I meant to get out of the 1,000 mile club long ago and into the 2,000 mile club. I came pretty close to 2,000 miles last year and really want to this year... but I forget to go check those forums hence the delay in getting into the right one! {{{tselbs family}}} Hope things turn out ok now, glad your MIL is at peace. {{{Vista}}} Joey, I hope your brother is a good patient and sticks to his plan. If he does, things could turn around pretty well for him. I agree though, you need to go see him... CNY--I'm always amazed by your runs. Your ability to hammer out all those fast miles week after week... wow. Gordon's cutting grass?? Hey, the only grass I see around here is what the graders dig up when they get too close to the edge of the road. Problem is, most of our snow has that dirty icy crust to it. Should all be gone in 6 weeks though! I'll have to get my measly 5 miles in on the TM right after work. Got a lot going on tonight... more soccer tryouts for DS1 and a night out for DH and me... and I still have to pack! Just a quick trip so not much. Looking forward to my phone date with Mariposai!
                          This is TOTALLY off subject but I had to say it. The New York Yankees are playing a Spring Training game today in Blacksburg, Virginia against the Virginia Tech Hokies. The Yankees decided they wanted to do that to help with the healing process on the Tech campus from the tragedy of last April. The game was sold out, but televised locally. The Yankees are doing just a great job of making this a special day for the Tech players, students, and fans. While I am NOT a Yankees fan (Go Red Sox!), I certainly think the effort and thoughtfulness of the Yankee organization to pull out of warm Florida and to disrupt Spring Training for such a game is noteworthy. Almost all of the main Yankees day to day players are there and playing in the game. The pitching staff is the only exception to this and mirrors what they would do in Florida for a game at this time of the year. Alex Rodriguez actually sat in the Virginia Tech dugout for a couple of innings and signed autographs for all of the Hokie players. Anyway, something like this is noteworthy when you read the bad press given to pro athletes and profit hungry owners. I know the Yankees organization had already donated a large check to the Virginia Tech fund.
                          Vista

Manchild

Vista, nice story on how professional sports teams such as the dreaded Yankees can seperate themselves from the spotlight and glamour to help heal real people! I ran 5.3 miles after work and before the forcast snow/rain. 42 degrees, overcast conditions ...47:51 for a 9:02 pace which is pretty good, I'll take it! My condolences to TSelbs and Joey. I hope everyone has a super evening! Chris
                              Tselbs , What a long and wonderful life to celebrate. My condolences to all your family. Lyndenrunner, Is cutting the grass what you call what you do on your anniversary Wink Never heard that one before. Wildchild, Have a great time, that is one of the stops on my list Just 4 tempo type miles tonight in drizzle and near 40s.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

vista....thoughts and prayers go out to your brother... tselbs....prayers of strength and comfort also go out to your family. lynden....happy anniversary to you and your wife. 9 miles for me this late afternoon. 9:35 pace. It was a beautifully breezy evening.
                                Evryday! Eeek! thanks for pointing that out... I meant to get out of the 1,000 mile club long ago and into the 2,000 mile club. I came pretty close to 2,000 miles last year and really want to this year... but I forget to go check those forums hence the delay in getting into the right one!
                                I was pointing it out as a congratulatory message...way to go. Even more impressive that your going for 2000. Good runs to all Masters!
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM