Masters Running

Chilly Wednesday, 1.14.15 (Read 33 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Thank you Thank you wildchild.

Mine’s been such tiny 1/16-inch lettered posts (and that’s the capitals) I often have to copy and paste into 14-font on my word processing or, when the posts even fainter on the alternating blue backgrounds, just give up. There’s so many easy techno-solutions that are so simple when you know them but there's no  informative manuals anymore for the average user.  . 

Leslie, to make the print bigger on your computer, press CTRL and + at the same time.  Several ++ makes it even bigger, and just press CTRL and - to make it smaller again.

Jeanne - not that I care that much about football or anything like that or even know much about it, e.g. mixing up the divisions in the Detroit-Dallas game, thinking aamos was predicting the wrong “O” already won the college bowl, etc. but, especially after multiple blown calls so bad against the Seahawks in Superbowl LV (2006) that an offending official fessed up and ,apologized in 2010, it’s been just as grating to have had the Seahawks play such an outstanding game against your then-acknowledged best quarterback in that 2012 game of infamy, e.g. sacking him a record eight times (matched just once before by another great team of the day: 2009 Minnesota Vikins), etc. only to have Seattle win on suspect call on a final hail mary that it is acknowledged as ending the infamous officials’ strike a week later.  Unfortunately, Aaron Rodgers lost a lot of credibility earlier this year when he didn’t throw a single of his famed passes in the direction of the Seahawks similarly-famed defender Richard Sherman and deservedly lost in a lousy game. 
    Let’s hope it’s a fair contest this time but, somehow, I have so little faith in football officiating, e.g. that’s been doubling penalties against the Seahawks vs. everyone else this year, I doubt it.
    Either way though, here’s my bet: whoever’s team loses has to run the next seven days (Monday - Sunday) in accordance with a training plan designed by the winner. You can guess what mine will be for you not to run at all which might be harder for you do to than me do your running for you, especially if the great one provides you with a training program which I haven’t done since Divechief’s modified Pfitzinger got me the desired (and my last one) sub-4:30 in the 2006 Boomer Reunion Portland Marathon if anyone remembers that. I sure do. .
    Good luck.

ps - it’s weird wearing my seahawks winter cap over here in Japan and missing the encounters with similarly-capped Seattle fans to see which one of us can yell out “SEA” first for the other’s “HAWKS!” reply.  Do Packers' fans do that with "Green" ..... "BAY!"?

Oh, I almost forgot, after an all-nighter, we got a work break and I ran a last-minute, and last place, 42.195 km in the weekly Wednesday runs of all distances sponsored by the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Despite Mustang's insistence that Michigan is the lovely place, I am cold.  It's no different here from NY where I lived most of my life, but it isn't the kind of weather I ever enjoy going back to.  Today was okay at a balmy 18.

My cab didn't show up to take me back to the hotel last night so I signed up for Uber right on the spot, ordered a car, which came in 5 minutes and was back in my hotel in no time. No fumbling for the correct fare, no tip and no stories about how far away the car is.  It's right on the GPS map on my screen and when the cab is pulling into the driveway you get a text that says "Your car is here."  Then the next day or that day you get an emailed receipt for your expenses. I'm sold.

I never was a wine drinker, but crazy for IPA.  But I gave up alcohol for the New Year, so none of that either.  Ate dinner with five of the client's facilitators tonight and everybody had wine or martinis. I sat there with my cranberry and club soda.  I was okay with it though.

No running again today and couldn't if I wanted to. No stuff. This is pretty cool.  Spareribs

I never was a wine drinker, but crazy for IPA.  But I gave up alcohol for the New Year, so none of that either.  Ate dinner with five of the client's facilitators tonight and everybody had wine or martinis. I sat there with my cranberry and club soda.  I was okay with it though.

Welcome to the world of teetotalers.    I was never a big drinker, but gave it all up when I really got into running and because of other issues in life - which you call know about anyway.  Once in awhile I will think, "Hm.  A glass of wine sounds nice."  But then I remember the awful headaches I'd get and just smile with my glass of water.  . . . . never thought of just having some cranberry juice with club soda.  I'll have to try that!  Sounds refreshing.

Tet and Carolyn - Oh what a different Ctrl+ makes!!!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

One of my favs!

Dave - nice to help out a neighbor

Ribs - good for you!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mike E

MM #5615

I've been hitting Ctrl +, Ctrl -...Ctrl +, Ctrl - all day...I'm easily entertained.

ps - it’s weird wearing my seahawks winter cap over here in Japan and missing the encounters with similarly-capped Seattle fans to see which one of us can yell out “SEA” first for the other’s “HAWKS!” reply.  Do Packers' fans do that with "Green" ..... "BAY!"?

They do...but it's so slurred, you'd never understand it.

Hello everybody!  Well...I can't believe I did what I did, tonight...but I did...so I know I did it.  tet...can you explain to me what I just said?  Anyway--I was supposed to jump into the Hanson's marathon plan on Monday, but woke up with a splitting headache...when I got home from work, I walked right up stairs and went to bed.  Yesterday was better...my headache finally went away sometime during the day...but was still out of it...so I suffered through a meeting at church, came home, and went to bed.  Today...I'm better...not great but better.  I was dreading doing my tempo workout, tonight, and almost convinced myself to just go to bed one more night.  But, I told myself that I would just get on the treadmill, skip the tempo, and just do as many easy miles as I felt like.  1 1/2 miles of easy, then I jumped it up to 6:53 pace and held it for 7 miles, then did another easy 1 1/2 miles.  It was tough...I had to cheat and hang on to the bar a few times, but I did it, dang it.

Okay--I have to drag my butt up to bed...and listen to Debbie hack all night.  As bad as I've been feeling--she's got it twice as bad...see ya!

Dave, I thought of that Midwest Wednesday for the title too but didn't have anything to post at 7am other than our heat wave is appreciated, although it will be a while before we need to mow. Hope you got out for a greta run today. That was so nice of you to help your neighbor out.

Leslie, wildchild beat me to the punch with the tip. I use it all the time. Another great trick is the print screen button, then go to word and use ctrl+V to paste the image. Another thing that helps me see the monitor is my "office glasses" with prescription for reading at that distance. I can actually see well enough to drive with them too, so just wear them all the time during the week.

Roch, take care of your back, maybe some strengthening exercises are in order.

Jay, I hope the people that appreciate you outnumber those meanies at your meetings.

I get jealous about you guys that have Trader Joes, Starbucks, etc. We do, however, have a Caribou Coffee in the grocery store. Oh yeah, we can have a sit down meal with drinks and everything right there at Hy-Vee now too.

Wildchild, Goodness that is one long driveway! Maybe you should get a 4 wheeler or a snowmobile?

Ribs, I didn't know that you gave up alcohol this year. Gin and tonics without the gin are my favorite, well they are now. One day at a time.

MikeE nice tempo run, even though you did not think you could do it.  Hope you and Debbie get better,,, in sickness and in health.

It was so nice out after work today, 25 above zero! WooHoo, so out I went for a little run with Bandit. I was able to run the whole mile and a half without stopping, even through the snowy slushy streets. The path by the school was pretty clear so that was nice.

Goodnight everyone, I wish those with injuries were suddenly cured and back to 100%. Now I had better finish reading Tet's post,,, sometimes those take me a while.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Mariposai

Another quick posting for me. Jet lag, head cold plus piles of work is not allowing me to run much nor to have any free time for posting. This also shall pass and more free time is expected to be on my horizon.  Six miles tonight after work under a very lovely bright night.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Hope Mike and Debbie are feeling better soon. Seems like most people had and beat that crud last month (Merry Christmas, right?). Good job getting your run done.

It's amazing to me to hear that most of you are dealing with the same temps we are for the most part, although it got down to singe digits here today. Not sure if you guys are having abnormally cold temps, or what but I know we're way above normal for this time of year. 2014 was the warmest winter in Alaska on record (last what.... 100 or so years?) and while our summer was cool and wet, the warm winter months more than made up for it. So far, January has been warmer than usual, even with last week's cold temps down to -20° and so. Hey, better than -40 which is certainly not unheard of!

I got in 8.3 miles tonight at amazingly consistent paces, averaging 8:30. Temps around 18 or 19, which is less than the high of 25 we woke up to, but more than the 7 we had this afternoon. Weird day, temperature wise. Tomorrow should be in the 20's again, to continue the weird warm January we've been having.

SteveP

Big Budget Committee public hearing tonight for all of our warrant articles. I expect one or two of the folks on the Committee to try to beat me up once again, but I'll do my best to stand my ground without stooping to their level of intimidation and thinly-veiled insults.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Good for you.

You're a good guy Dave59.

A lot of the roads Tag and I use to get to our trails are not plowed by the county nor township. A few individuals keep them clear on their own. The couple who do the best job rigged a plow they've hooked up behind two horses. Tag really wants to introduce himself.

You're in a nice part of MI, Ribs. GVSU was recently voted the worst campus for winter college commutes. I'd love to be able to kidnap you for a day and take a road trip.

The mutt and I got a mile and a half in.

SteveP

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

. . . piles of work is not allowing me to run much nor to have any free time for posting. This also shall pass and more free time is expected to be on my horizon. 

free time?  you?

Enjoy any you get 'cause it probably won't last for long

ps leslie - it works on e-mail, web pages, etc. too. yippee.

Probably no one noticed but I've been having such a hard time making lucid posts when everyone's were too small to read in the first place to respond to say nothing about seeing what I was writing and posting too.  Sorry if it caused any confusion which shouldn't happen anymore except for MikeEEEE.

thank you again carolyn.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, I almost forgot, after an all-nighter, we got a work break and I ran a last-minute, and last place, 42.195 km in the weekly Wednesday runs of all distances sponsored by the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club.

You almost forgot to tell us that, after being up all night, you just happened to run a spur-of-the-moment 42KM run?  You are amazing - wow!

{{Mike and Debbie and Nancy}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."