Masters Running

Friday, June 3 Last Day of School Runs (Read 458 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

2.15 miles for me with a few striders - just a short one to shake the legs out.

I'm going into work early and taking off early to go to my DD's school for an awards assembly this afternoon.  She's going to get an award for straight-A's all year, and I want to be there.  Smile

Tonight DH and I start a couples golf league, which should be fun.  The nice thing is that it meets every other Friday, which allows for our busy summer schedule, and instead of being competative, it's mostly fun and games.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I've actually talked DH into walking the course with our pullcarts, to get a little exercise.

Good luck to the weekend racers!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning everybody!    

running late as usual but I wanted to wish all the racers good luck.  this is a pretty exciting weekend.

Holly, another damn 50k, huh?  what's it called?  Wink     congrats to your DD! (& to you too).   very cool about the golf league and DH walking & all!

headed out for my first little run since last weekend,     we have had such gorgeous weather,    can not resist.

happy Friday!

Tramps

Geez, Carolyn, nothing like getting a little hill workout yesterday!   Nice job.

Holly, congrats to your daughter (and you).  A golf league, too?  Are there more than 24 hours a day in Ohio?

Best of luck to all the racers this weekend!  Sounds like it’ll be a fun one.

Easy 5.4 @ 8:44 for me today.  Comfortable temps.

Be safe. Be kind.

Morning all

No run planned today will lift this morning.  Busy day  and weekend planned, Repairing eldest DS roof Sat. and installing new doors, he owns almost 100 year old home cultural district in Flint.  I plan on tilling garden this morning before lifting.  I know it is late to put garden in put yesterday was 1st day I could walk out in garden area with out stepping in water.  Sofas came and both were damaged yesterday, so Monday they will come out and replace or fix, with price adjustment of course.  I got a wonderful 4.5 miles yesterday 47:30 just before dark on the local bike path. Saw rabbits and raccoon while out. Will try to get a 8 miler Saturday before working on roof.DW and I are supposed to have dinner Eldest DS and his DW celebrating 1 year of marriage.  Run well all

Dave59

I'm taking the day off.  Not even a couple miles to stay loose.  I have a 5k tomorrow and I am going to test myself and see how far off I am from a new over-40 PR.  But...

- The weather could be a factor with a one day spike in temperature and humidity expected. 

- I haven't run much the past 2 weeks.

- And I've eaten a ton and I'm up a few pounds this week.

So I am going to run it hard, drink beer, and then get back to better eating and training on Sunday/Monday.

To eventually get the new PR I need:
            - Run longer long runs.  (So far I haven't gone longer than 6.5 miles all year.)
            - More speed sessions.  (More than once a month.) 
            - Run a race on a course that is a little short.

But as long as I don't break anything, I should reach my goal.

Good luck to Holly in your 50k and to everyone else racing, training, traveling, and shopping.  (I threw the last one in there for Tom who is coming to the junk/antique sale here in Midland tomorrow.)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Dave - sounds like a good plan.  But don't make excuses even before you run the race - save them for after (if, in fact, you need them).

Sorry, I haven't been around all week.  Work is crazy.  And I'm off to Renfrew, Ontario for a week on Monday.  Hope the fly season hasn't started there yet.

Lift, step, spin this morning.  Sweaty fun.  I may try the fusion flow class in two weeks.  But I don't think I'm coordinated enough to do it.  We'll see. 

2.5 easy miles after watching a late Heat collapse.  Ouch.  That's what they were doing the 1st month of the season when they were getting to know how to play together.

Being Masters we've all been around the block enough times to know that Life has a way of throwing curve balls at us from time to time.  DS and his GF had a big one tossed their way yesterday.  The Professor DS has been working for in his Grad program has quit and is going to FSU.  He has invited DS to go with him to work for him there.  The work he is doing (and would do at FSU) with this Professor is his "Dream Job" to use his words.  He could work with another UF Professor but not in this specialty area.

As you might imagine, DS and GF are not happy since they finally had been able to put things in order for them to be together while going to school - including signing a lease for an Apt.  And there's that other thing about FSU being UF's total number 1 arch rival.  Obviously this is fairly unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but can you say Awkward?

DW and I discussed this situation a bit last evening and we don't have a good answer, nor even a recommendation.  There's pluses and minuses to both.  So our decision is to step back and let them decide what's best for them.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mike E

MM #5615

Good luck to everybody racing this weekend! 

06/04 Ileneforward - Camp Pendleton Mud Run, CP CA

06/04 evanflein - Newport Marathon, Newport OR

06/04 Mariposai - Newport Marathon, Newport OR

06/04 rasmussenmp - Newport Marathon, Newport, OR

06/04 Holly S. - Another Dam 50K, Englewood, Xenia OH

06/04 Dave59 - Midland Community Center Dow 5k, Midland, MI

06/05 rtravers - Covered Bridges Half Marathon,Woodstock VT

I'm sure the group in Newport will have a great time.

I think if I had my choice of any of those races it would be that Covered Bridges Half--that just sounds cool.

Holly--I got into a bowling league with my DW a couple of years ago just so we could do something together.  Since I had never really bowled before, I figured I'd just go and have fun--I'd leave my competitive side at home.  Two weeks into it,  I had my own ball and shoes and was practicing almost every day during my lunch hour.  So--good luck with your "mostly fun and games" golf league.

Have a great day everybody!

Mike E

MM #5615

Bill--I just read your post after I posted my own.  Tough decision for your son.  We can all think back to even the smallest of our own decisions that we've made and how it has altered the course of our lives.  In my opinion--which nobody asked for--he should stay on his current course.  He'll have plenty of other oportunities coming his way, I'm sure.  Besides...FSU?  Come on. 

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Good luck tomorrow Holly and all our other great racers!!      Like PBJ said Dave - save the excuses for after the race.    You'll do great and maybe the weather precition will be wrong.

MikeE - Smile    LIke you could leave your competitive nature at home - ha!

Carolyn - Awesome run last night!!!   Just looking at that elevation makes me tired.

Bill - I think you made the right decision.   I think that son of yours has a good head on his shoulder's and they will come to a decison that is right for them.   Only one of many bumps in the road called Life.

Nothing for me today.   I was going to get up for a short one, but the comfy bed and cool air drifting in from the window felt too good.

Jelly Belly says Happy National Donut Day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

...Burger//.......tough call,

I opened

my store in a different state

while Pickles was trying to sell her house ( in W.KyCoalfields after the mines shut down)

........2-years later she moved  down here

True Love

lasts,

Dream Jobs won't.

============

...but I digress...

............25min canerunn sans geese

obviously

they are trying to Lull Me Into a False Sense of Security

Quite

often

I am smarter than

Feathered Things with Brains the size of a Walnut.

let The Games Begin.

.................................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

lamerunner

Good morning. Holly, congratulations to you and DD! Straight A s are great. And good luck tomorrow; I hope the weather is less hot than predicted. I feel for you after last weekend.

Goodluck to all the weekend racers; thinkking of Erika, Mariposai and the Newport crew.

I have done covered bridges; it is a beautiful course and weather should be good this weekend, esp. in the morning.

6.5 miles in IRC but legs still not really there. Off to work on memo of law... staying home for a bit to minimize office interruptions.

The puppy made me smile! 

Bill this seems pretty straightforward to me, assuming your DS is going to look for an academic job after graduation.  If that is true and if the professor is working in the area he wants to I think he has to go to FSU.  Graduate school is like an internship.  You cannot really just swap one professor for another.  As an example, I have a computer science student working for me and he wants to switch into my area (finance).  But he also wants to finish his computer science degree.  His CS adviser is leaving for Dallas Texas so he is going too.  After that he can see about finding a finance program.  I know he wants to work with me so he will be applying to ours but if I were to move he would likely switch where he would apply to.

My PT taped up my ankle today and suggested I try to run tomorrow in an area without hills.  Does she realize we live in CT?  In any case, I will give it a shot.  I am modestly hopeful that I will make it beyond the 20' I managed last Saturday.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

HermosaBoy

Bill -- good decision to let your DS and GF make the call.  However, I agree that it sounds like a no-brainer.  The question is how to overcome the lease, etc.

4.1 miles this morning that were nasty!  Too hot and humid for this former beach boy.  Hope the humidity dies down later today!!!

Happy Friday all!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

wildchild

Carolyn

So Holly, let me get this straight ...  you're walking the golf course tonight and running a 50K tomorrow morning?  Dang, girl.

Thanks for the nice comments on my trail run last night. The view from the high point is amazing - you can see miles and miles of the snow capped continental divide.  The "trail" goes over some rock outcroppings where you have to use hands and feet to navigate, not exactly runnable, but the downhill part after that goes through a beautiful meadow.  Next time I go up there I'll take a camera.

I've changed my avatar for the summer (since it used to show me running in the snow).  The current picture is from a trail race on the trail I ran last night.  ETA:  yes, the trail race goes up and over the rock outcroppings - heck of a race!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.