Masters Running

40s+/50s+ On the Run (w/e 06/20/09) (Read 868 times)

I still have no "reply" button on this thread....appears on any others that I've clicked on....?

Try cursoring over to the right as far as you can and see if the reply button is there.  Or at the bottom of the page is a bar that you can move to the right with.  The big pictures on this thread has caused the reply button to be waaayyy over to the right.  It's there, but kinda hard to get to.  Once we make it to page two on this thread that problem should go away......provided no more big pics.

6miles for me in the H&H....I'm starting to like it.  I'll post more later. 

MTA>>>>Hey I fixed it!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

The big pictures on this thread has caused the reply button to be waaayyy over to the right.  It's there, but kinda hard to get to.  Once we make it to page two on this thread that problem should go away......provided no more big pics.

Hey!   I resemble remark!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I love your big pictures, Leslie.  Their beauty is way worth the effort.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          I love your big pictures, Leslie.  Their beauty is way worth the effort.

Okay then.  You've redeemed yourself.

3 running miles + 1 hour of core/strength.  I'm getting really bored with this routine.  After SOB, I need a change.

Saw a racoon in broad daylight on my way to work.  Very unusual.  He was eating something next to a car.  Hopefully, he's healthly, 'cause we've been having big problems with rabid fox in our area.  A number have had to be shot, and at 3 people in the last few months have been bitten.  Not fun.

It's Wednesday, folks!  All down hill from here. Enjoy ~

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Well now I didn't try that...didn't even notice the bottom bar - but "quote" was quite visible...page 2 is fine....will have to remember it for next time....& I liked the big pics too   like I said, waaaay to distractin to be worried about how fast!

Had an "interesting" 5 miler today....got a later than should have start, GD on bicycle (she's still learning), Mairead tied to me, warming up fast (75* so far) & taking the hilly neighborhood loop was maybe not best advised under these conditions!  Several stops to coach Abby on how to get up the dirt trail hill, adjust this, tighten that, "which gear?"   all these stops are confusing to Mairead....who decides that we just as well detour through the creek!....5.11 @ 11:44 av pc including 62 stops

Thinking to take the little girls to the lake to play...I'm taking a good book!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Top 'O the World!

"Dine & Dash"   OKA: Mtn life!

GRANBY, CO - A Granby-area family endured an unwanted dinner guest for about 10 minutes Sunday night when a bear entered their mud room through a dog door.

"Our dog made a strange noise - a combination between a growl and a bark," said Brenda Freeman.

When her husband went to see what was wrong and opened the mud room door, "There was a bear two feet away from him," she said.

The startled couple shut and locked the mud room door and went into their kitchen where they could look through the window into the mud room window. It was about 10:30 p.m.

The bear explored the mud room for 10 minutes, Freeman said. He did little damage but left paw prints on the window, ate all the dog food that was out and pulled a few herbs growing in pots out of the soil, she said.

"He was very graceful, very calm," she said. "The bear didn't seem to care about the dog barking."

She said the couple has lived in their home about five miles from Granby off U.S. Highway 34 for seven years and never had any bear issues. However, about four years ago a mountain lion came close to the house, she said.

That incident eventually prompted the Freemans to add a dog to the family. Aniden is a Turkish Kangal, a breed used to protect sheep from wolves. The 2-year-old dog - whose name is Turkish for "pounce" - weighs about 120 pounds, Brenda said.

She said her husband told her the bear looked like the same one authorities treed for a short time in Granby's Kaibab Park on Thursday, June 11.

"We thought it was quite a coincidence," she said.

Blame the rain

The two incidents in fact may be weather-related, at least indirectly.

"It has to do with kind of the timing of Mother Nature," said Randy Hampton, Colorado Division of Wildlife spokesman.

This time of year, bears generally eat grubs and forbs and by now are gorging on berries. The problem, he said, is that the same rain making the high country look like a Pebble Beach fairway is also prolonging the flowering phase of berry bushes.

So, the berries are not yet available and the bears may be seeking alternative food sources, he said.

Although Colorado's bear population has remained stable at 8,000-12,000 animals, Hampton said they are smart and adaptable and may seem more prevalent because they are changing their habits.

"Unfortunately, we do have areas where bears are getting more educated ... about finding (human-provided) food sources," he said.

In this instance, even though the Freemans did the right thing, he said the Granby area now has a bear who found a food reward by going through a dog door, so there's no guarantee the bear won't return or try the same thing somewhere else.

Brenda Freeman said the bear left their mud room through the dog door and "played in our fire pit." She also said a neighbor told her the bear got into their trash.

"We're kind of in their territory; we're in their space," Freeman said.

She said the family is now securing their trash in the garage and they have moved the dog food from the mud room into the house.

"That should solve their problem," Hampton said.

As for those flowering berry plants and the rain, he sounded a note of caution. If it clears up and cools down sufficiently to cause a hard freeze that kills those blossoms, the berry crop could be destroyed.

If that happens, he said, "It'll be a long summer for all our wildlife officers."

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                Like peeps in the article said, we've invaded their territory.  They're just looking for food.  All part of living near wildlife!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Heh!  I don't know what Buddy boy would do should a bear happen into our house?! My guess is that he would talk a real good mean streak while steadily moving backwards!!!!

Been seeing a lot of critters on my runs. An Eagle flying with a squirrel in it's mouth. Chipmunks, foxes, rabbits, deer. Last night a large dog and small cat strolling together on the bike path and giving me a look like "whatta you lookin at "?

Ok Arla, I went and ordered me a pair of Five Fingers. Can't wait to try them out !

flatland mountaineer

Bailed on my tempo this morn. Dad had a dr appointment in Scotsbluff, went well but got to bed about 1 am, which back in my rodeo days would of been nothing to be up bright and early. Anyway got up early and sat down in the recliner and woke up an hour later and needed to get work stuff done. All is not lost as tommorow is my rest day so will just swap em around, friday will be light cause of a 5 k Sat.

Mtnchk 62 stops lol!! but ya got it in and thats all that counts!

Joe I know a crazy trail runner that runs in Rocky mtn nat park in 5 fingers, in the rocks too. He runs ultras including Leadville in Saucony kilkenny racing flats.

Coon been leaving tracks around here going to see some #4 shot up close and personal if I catch him as he has been tearing shingles off buildings etc along with a few sqirrels that have ruined some of my truck tarps @ $700 a pop.

pretty cool podcast from an interview with Jonathan

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/public/307.cfm

howdys to Arla , Leslie, Jewells Kelly and any others out there!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Coon been leaving tracks around here going to see some #4 shot up close and personal if I catch him as he has been tearing shingles off buildings etc along with a few sqirrels that have ruined some of my truck tarps @ $700 a pop.

Ouch!

Re falling asleep in the recliner - I fell asleep in my truck Saturday while waiting a bit for my bagel to digest before running.  It was so quiet up there, and it sure felt good!

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hello evryone.

Mother nature turned up the heat a bit today.  102F.  I think the first day over 100 this year for us. 

Wife and I waited till about 7:00 pm to go for an outing.  I think it had cooled down to about 95.  By the end of the run clouds moved in from west Texas and a nice strong breeze to keep us cool. 

I tried to kick things up a notch by incorporating some interval runs into my schedule.  A 3 mile easy run follow by a total of 4 quick 800m intervals interspersed with 400m recoveries.  Total run of 6 miles. 

Good runs/walks and stuff to all.

flatland mountaineer

4 miles with 1 mile tempo @ 8-0 pace, went pretty well although

I was kinda looking for a Safeway mid-run.

As our local races are over the 4th going to start backing off long runs and adding more speed as body will permit.

Ev nice going in the heat, intervals too!!

c yas

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Nice runs fellows. That's some serious heat Ev, wow.

What races do you have Jim? 5K and 10K?

Ordered my FF's yesterday and here they are already. I don't think I will try them tonight in the rain.Other than one sunny weekend a couple of weeks back,it has been rainy and cool here for a month! Last night was only 55*. Personally,for running,I love it. But it's making my non-running co-workers very cranky!

I was kinda looking for a Safeway mid-run.

Hey, that's my line!   Nice tempo mile.

Ev - I would crumble if I had to run in those temps.

Joe - 55 sounds just fine to me for running, as opposed to Ev's temps.

6 miles this a.m. with hills in 59.19.  That pretty much one of my fastest 6-milers.  Not as much hill work as in the past few weeks, but still plenty.  Went down a road I normally don't run and passed a car that had the engine running, driver door wide open, music blaring . . . and the driver either asleep or passed out in the driver seat.  If I'd had my cell phone, I would've call the cops.

Also!  I'm up feeding the cats, getting ready for my workout, it's about 4:45 - and some frigging a-hole behind us lets off 4-5 fireworks!  Sounds like gunshots!  The cats scattered, scared the crap out of me, The Hub comes barreling naked out of the bedroom with his gun . . .   I was about to call 911 when he said it was fireworks.  He could smell the sulphur.  Oh man was I mad!

And then I had to take one of my  kitties who is very sick to the vet this a.m.    We'll see.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

No crumbling around here....still staying just a little cooler than "average" w/T-storms brewing every pm....warm enough though to encourage earlier in the day runs....

Jim, do you suppose the V2 crew brought this on by "wanting to find them?"! mebbe they should go home!!  http://www.weather.com/multimedia/videoplayer.html?clip=14601&from=hp_video_1

they determined our little one on Mon. was an F2

5.38 hilly miles w/the gang this am....few stops/slower pace