Masters Running

Tuesday January 3 Runs and Workouts (Read 541 times)

Mike E,

I always said the day I gave the keys to the car to my first son was the day I understood what the word "worry" was really all about. Hell he's 28 now and if I know he's driving in bad weather I still worry. So glad you son got through that unscathed.

Perch,

We will definitly meet up sometime. I love to run long runs on the Paint Creek Rails to Trails when I am down that way. I was raised in Lake Orion which is not far from you now so I know the area well and yes it is a wonderful area. My Inlaws still live there so I get down that way fairly often.

3 miles sunny and 18 degrees. I over dressed though and was pretty steamy when I got back.

Forced day off tomorrow because I only have 30 minutes between jobs. We are doing inventory and the hours will be a little crazy the rest of the week but hopefully I can find time for a couple more runs inbetween.

Just glad to be here,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

OM, nice 5K with MrOM and with PRs for both of you.  hallar, it's great to hear from you.  Econo, neat family 5K.  dove, you are amazing.  Jay, great you could do a 5K with 8 family members.  Mike, I'm glad to hear Ryan and friends are ok.  It's scary, though.  Avenger Doggie, great pictures.  Tammy, the pictures show you have a nice trail to run.  Opie, good job on your 5K.

Nice long runs for ribs, perch, Mike, skip, holly, opie, and Tramps.

This morning, I didn't want to face the cold, wind, and possible icy roads so did 8 miles on the TM at an average pace of 10:16 min/mi.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

About 53F, no wind, overcast and a few drops of rain.  Pretty darn perfect.  So humid that after just two easy miles, and that was all I did, I was drenched.  Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Carpy run on the TM.

Just dropped DS2 at the airport.  My house feels very empty right now.

Peace,

Skip

4.5 chilly miles for me this morning ... so glad I made myself get up and get it done before the day really started. 

Since my 7 day off stretch started on such a sad note, I decided to end it on a very self-indulgent pampering note - had my house cleaned (not by meSmile), my hair colored by my sister, mani and pedi with a friend then off we went together for an afternoon cocktail and appetizer for her birthday ... all followed by a 90 minute massage!!  Tomorrow - back to reality and back to work!!

Stay warm my friends!!

p.s.  just read the end of yesterday's daily - Erika so glad you found someone to cut your hair the way you like!!  Faith is back from maternity leave and I cant wait to see her on 1/19!!Smile

denise

I forgot to post this morning after doing my 4 on the TM, but maybe that's because it's not exactly memorable.

I had a strange "conversation" with a guy in Michigan State gear while waiting for a pizza to come out at Pizza Hut yesterday evening. He was telling the cashier how bummed he was that his alma mater MSU lost its bowl game. "Lost?" I said, "no, they won it." But he was insistent and kept saying "Nope. They lost." I finally gave up arguing about it, but thought how big a fool he must have felt after he went back and checked. From what he said, I figure that he saw MSU throw that interception in OT, and when Georgia lined up for what looked like a fairly easy field goal, he shut the TV off in disgust. Little did he know...

Dave59 - The Adrenaline GTXs are what I have this year. Combine them with a Smartwool sock like the hiking socks that REI sells and they work very well indeed.

On the way back from the doctor this afternoon, I ended up getting slightly side-swiped as an accident was occurring in the lanes next to me. So I had to stand around in the freezing cold to wait for the cop to show up and write up the accident report so I have something to give to my insurance agent tomorrow. And I'm bummed about the scrapes down the side of my almost-new car!

Speaking of cold, I guess I can't complain about 20-degree weather when Erika is reporting minus 20 as a high! Yowza!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Roch, sorry about your car.

{{{Skip}}}

I think I'm almost done packing. I'm just not sure what shoes to wear for walking around in the parks, both before and after race day. I have no idea how I'll feel, nor what will feel good on my feet. That's the tough part about traveling to a race, and then staying on and not being home. Oh well, here's to overpacking!

evanflein

Speaking of cold, I guess I can't complain about 20-degree weather when Erika is reporting minus 20 as a high! Yowza!

Geez, we haven't even seen a high of -20 in days! I don't think it got much warmer than -30 anywhere I went earlier today, and the warmest it got up here at the house is -24. This cold high pressure system is so deep we haven't even seen our normal 10 to 15 degree inversion effect!

I spent some time today looking at new garage doors. I'm appalled by how bad our garage door is. I've got towels stuffed all along the bottom and the sides and it's still cold in the garage. I bet a new door would pay for itself in a couple months of this weather with heating fuel going for almost $3.90 a gallon!!

Ok, I'm about ready to head down to run a few on the treadmill. I think I'll wear gloves.

ETA: OM, it's a great excuse to pick up some new sandals or something when you're down there!

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey Holly - where did you get your P90X DVD's? We just put furniture in our family room and got a TV and DVD player for down there. Would love to get that set to work out at home. Is it really expensive?

I got the 12-disc set from iOffer.com for $33 - tax, shipping included.  This was last year, so I don't know if the seller is still there, but I haven't had any problems with the discs (so far).

Deez - what a lovely day of pampering - you deserve it!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

CNYrunner I wonder if running by time would lead me to try and "go fast" to get in a certain target mileage.  How do you stop yourself from doing that?

Mike E. your life certainly has been interesting of late and I hope the interesting streak comes to a quick end.  Between your job and your son's car crash you have had it pretty rough.  Here is hoping better times are ahead.

Avenger Doggie you sure do take great pictures!  Do you get cold running barefoot in the snow like that?  Big grin

evanflein minus 30 for a high!  I just cannot imagine what that must be like!  How do you go from the car to a store in a parking lot without getting frostbite?  Just incredible!

Dave59 very interesting job situation!  When do you think you will get a real answer as to what is going on?

Tramps a 14 mile run for your return to RA is one heck of a way to come back!

hallar overdressed for 18°?  Seems hard to imagine. 

tselbs normally I hate TM runs.  But, I think I am going to follow your lead and use one tomorrow to avoid the bitter cold that is expected around here.

enkephalin warm and humid?  Do you know how miserable it is here in the north-east?  Torturing people with reports like that is really not very nice!  Joking

rochrunner a lot of accidents being reported in the daily!  My sympathies since I know what a pain it will be to get the car fixed.

Today was ,make students unhappy day!  Translation:  I entered my grades for last semester.  Of course, it was also make a very few students happy day too.  But realistically the unhappies outnumber the happies.  It was also an elliptical day.  Tomorrow it is going to be 4 on the TM seeing as I have no desire to brave the expected 12° or so temperatures.  After that I head off to my PT who will let me know what comes next.  If she thinks my leg feels like it is not happy, as it did after Monday's run, I suspect she will put me on a running hiatus.  I am hoping that does not happen and that Monday was just an anomaly.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Finally have all our stuff unloaded off the moving van and it fit in our little house. Houses are way better with furniture!

Got in 8 miles on the Paint Creek Trail before the movers came. It was 18 degrees with 10 wind chill but I overdressed and was sweating.  Wore screw shoes even though there was no snow. But parts of the trail were forzen and I could feel some slipping... glad I wore them!

I learned a Michigan winter runner's greeting today.  Passed another runner during the pre-dawn run and we both said to each other "ORNIN".  (Frozen face style greeting)

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

wildchild

Carolyn

Just dropped DS2 at the airport.  My house feels very empty right now.

{{{Skip}}} 

I just dropped Tazzie and Ladybug at my sister's house in Laramie, and my house feels empty too.  Sad She's dog-sitting while we're away on vacation.

OM, hope your trip and your race go well!  I haven't started packing for Costa Rica yet - guess I'll start after dinner.

I only had time for a short fast run on the way home from Wyoming, but I needed it after 6 hours in the car.   I ran about a 5k at almost exactly my PR 5k pace, on a bike path along the Poudre River in Ft. Collins, just as the sun was setting.  52° and I ran in shorts and tee shirt.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

CNYrunner I wonder if running by time would lead me to try and "go fast" to get in a certain target mileage.  How do you stop yourself from doing that?

I don't have mileage goals in this plan and just time goals, so I won't be tempted to hit a target mileage number. It all takes some adjustment, but I need to trust coach and give myself over to the notion that if I run within the time allotted and do the work, I'll get the results. Looking ahead to next week I see a fartlek workout that is supposed to fit into a 90 minute window with 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 minute segments run hard with the rests run in half the time as the speed-ups. While this will likely end up in the 10.5 mile range, that doesn't matter as much as getting in the speed segments. If I still have a speed-up to go and I have already hit 90 minutes, I need to stop and try not to squeeze more in there . It helps perhaps that I don't use a Garmin/gps watch and also already know the distances of most of the routes I use. Anyway...the experiment continues!

I hope the leg behaves for you and you don't get put back on a non-running plan. Hang in there.

evanflein

Perch, I know that feeling! Sometimes DH will call me when I'm out running and I can manage to answer the phone but then mumble and slur so much after that he can't tell what I'm saying! Glad you got your house stuff and it all fit.

Twocat, the temperature definitely does limit what you do around here. But we (usually) dress well enough that a trip from car to store and back isn't a big deal. What you need to be ready for is a breakdown, although people around here are pretty quick to step in and help someone with a disabled car. Today I was more than happy to come home and tuck the car in my (not so warm) garage, and DH might find a ride home. DS2 works at a garage so is outside a lot during the day. These goofy kids hardly dress for the weather, but both our boys were very happy to get thermal underwear before Christmas. Now if they'd just wear mitts or gloves...

9.2 miles on the treadmill today with 4 x .5 mile @ 8:00 pace, and then 4 x .25 mile @ 7:30 pace. I sure have gotten lazy. It's all I can do to get those quarter mile repeats done. I used to do 4 or 5 half-mile repeats, even a couple of mile repeats at that 7:30 pace. I call that my 10k pace, even though my 10k pr is quite a bit faster. Oh well, room for improvement, right?

Hey, Folks -

It's getting late and this is my first time to get in here all day, so I'm gonna be rude and throw out some "atta girls" and "atta boys," 'cause I perused and everyone seems to be percolating right along.

Speaking of cold weather, this past weekend I ordered myself a couple of pairs of these.  I have a headband I wear under my running cap, but my head gets hot, and all I really need is ear protection.

Got in 30 min of stationary cycling and 1.20 hrs of core/strength this morning, then went to my ortho appointment for a follow up re the foot and looksee at my knee. He mashed around on the foot and didn't seem concerned about it anymore.  Twisted my leg every which way he could, tried moving the kneecap (which is a slightly nauseating sensation).  Doesn't think it's anything major (i.e. nothing's torn), but he wants me to stop doing squats and lunges, so I'll have to work on some alternatives.  I have a couple of things in mind, but he said the main things are even pressure and nothing beyond the 90-degree angle.  One of the things he said would be great for leg strength, balance, and core is to pump up my stability ball a little past where it's suppose to be, get in a door frame, and stand on top of it.  Me: "With layers of foam mats around, right?"  Him: "Wear a crash helmet."

We're getting down to the home stretch re Shorty being in jail.  He gets out sometime between the 12th and 16th.  Yea!!

Okay - I need to take a shower and hit the hay.  Later, gang ~

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance