Masters Running

40+ On the Run - Stuffed to the Gills w/e 12/06/08 (Read 432 times)

Hi guys, Just checking in when I should be working Evil grin. Good luck to jewels and kelly, and arla on the flip side with closing out the semester. Hubby has a couple more weeks to go and will likely emerge with a B in Intermediate Acct. and and A in "fluff" (aka Organizational Behavior). Getting through Int. Acct. with a B is a good sign for him completing the acct. degree since that usually the weed out class. LOL on your german shepherd, R2...you were right the first time. And don't you know that EVERYTHING is a toy? Big grin Just like 2 yr olds that never grow up! Evryday, it was spectacular here too. Even though I was looking at it in the glare of our neighbor's Christmas lights, Venus was so bright it looked unreal. Joe, you really seem to have emerged from your marathon well. Glad you got to see those starts/moon before...welll...we all get old. Nice lunchtime run (sans Katy) yesterday in the wind, but fighting a stomach bug today. Let's just say I could have a colonoscopy without need for further prep. Arghhh, I'm too young to be making colonoscopy jokes! Leslie, glad you didn't miss it completely. Are you tapering these days? Hope you don't get a taper worm, LOL. Probably need some alcohol to make that one funny. Oh, and I'm starting to fear that whooshemmama will appear on my tombstone Wink.
    Progress Trumps Pefection
      Oh, and I'm starting to fear that whooshemmama will appear on my tombstone Wink.
      Farmer Jim - I think I forgot to answer a question you had re my Turkey Trot. I did a one-mile warm up run (which, coincidentally took me up to my work and back Roll eyes ) about 30 min before the run started, and then did a couple of extra easy jogs in between. Guess it worked! Re your child, er, dog - In the a.m. and p.m., our cat, Oscar, gets a wild hair up his butt and wigs out for awhile. He's his own best friend during those times, running through the house at break neck speeds. He also likes it when I chase him. So since we got the tree upright, he's been using it as his personal playground to run through. We just finished up with the ornaments last night, and had our ladder leaning against the wall. He misjudged a run through and ran head on into the ladder. You could almost see the birds flying in a circle over his head. He decided to lay off the running the rest of the night. Wink The clouds cleared for a short time last night, and I got to see the show. Alas, I don't know how to take night pictures with my camera, so didn't get any pics. Sure was an incredible sight, though. Went to the dentist for a tooth cleaning yesterday, and wouldn't you know it - I just about have her paid off from the last load of work she did, and now I have to have another tooth worked on. I have been a steady stream of income for her for a couple of years now. Roll eyes . . .. yeah . . . . Since I'm in taper mode, it was suppose to be an easy 3 miles this a.m. Guess I must still be inspired by my Turkey Trot, 'cause I finished them in 28:02. Of course, this takes into account some decline and the flats, but there was a fair amount of incline involved, as well. Not real steep, but steady. Unbelievable enough (well, maybe only to me), my road shoes are about done. They have over 420 miles on them. It seems like I just bought them!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Okay, if this doesn't bring a small tear to your eye, well, you're hopeless. Wink http://www.maniacworld.com/Phone-Salesman-Amazes-Crowd.html

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

What a voice..... Carol, great job on the hub finishing up with his classes. Kelly as well.... Arla, have fun grading papers. Everyone seems to be getting their runs in......except me. Hope to get out tomorrow inbetween work and class. Wed. usually works out pretty good for me. My sis was even happier when the official results came in.....66:47 (10k)=10:45 pace. Anyhow......anyone heard of the Dances with Dirt runs? They run one in Indiana, Michigan and another place or two. Well.....Florida is now part of the series to be added. First one is in Feb. 09. I've seen the website and these runs are WAY out of my league, but....Florida will have the usual 50 mile run, the 50k run and the 50 mile relay run but are also going to include a half and a full marathon to the list. I'm not good at keeping goals but I sure would love to try something like that. Maybe Feb. 2010....jeez that seems like a loooong way away. Later......Jewels
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Hey! Got a minute @ home to check in....tried using a free WiFi spot up in Breck this wknd....could get in to read but too slow to post anything Sad guess on that point, the Blueberry works just as well.....part of that would be all the holiday travelers stuck in the mtns & heavily online due to the Winter storm that had us socked in pretty good.... Sounds like everyone survived round 1 of the Holiday feastings festivities...& enjoying our astrological sites Smile I've only gotten to see one fuzzy version...being fairly ensconced in Windy Wintery Weather since Friday....& made for only one other attempt in the past few days @ a 4 miler in tough 10K' 15*, snowy, windy conditions....Mairead kept looking up @ me like 'WTH!?' at least my new Salomons kept my feet nice n toasty! need to dig out my ski goggles for this! Now, she's really enjoying the cold snowy weather! not so much the continuing home repair projects - which are coming along nicely Wink - particularly the nail guns!! Major scarey!! Finally have a beautiful day (just one, snow is back tonight) to go for a run, & here I sit.... Confused reading emails, sorting papers w/small dogs in my lap....thought I'd share the "sights" I had driving back & forth up & over Hoosier Pass into Breckenridge this wknd: btw - some areas reported in 35" of snow through this one! This makes the fireplace in the treatment room & hot stones I use verrrry enjoyable! Wink
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              Great pics, Cindy! Do you have to do anything special to protect the dogs' feet in the snow? Just curious. Jewels - Loved the "Dance With Dirt" web site. As far as working toward a HM or marathon - aren't you in training for a half right now??? And yes - go for it on the marathon!! MTA - Maybe I didn't check their web site close enough. Is the half and full suppose to be on the same course as the 50k, etc.? Woo hoo!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Very nice wintery pics Cindy.....nice to "hear" from you. Is that Breckinridge? Leslie, the Dade City, Fl. course layout is not even up yet because it is a first timer for here. I'm sure it should be up soon. The half and full (from what I've heard) would be run on a "section" of the 50k and 50 mile course. Hey, I've got a year to get really serious so.....nothings impossible. I could do the half and you can plan a trip to Florida in Feb. 2010 and run the 50k. I'll pick you up at the Orlando Airport the day before the race and we'll head over to Dade City and......blah, blah, blah,........O.K.? MTA: That DWD half/full course is up. Wasn't up this morning when I checked. Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                  I could do the half and you can plan a trip to Florida in Feb. 2010 and run the 50k. I'll pick you up at the Orlando Airport the day before the race and we'll head over to Dade City and......blah, blah, blah,........O.K.?
                  Now, wouldn't that be a hoot! Think I could find a team for it? Cripes, sounds like I'd have to hang out for a week afterward to recovery. That would suck. Wink

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Hi all- I saw the moon and planets again tonight,so I don't have to wait until 2052 afterall! Tongue Wow Cindy nice pics! A lot of that white stuff already? No internet up there, you can send us some morse code,or do you know semaphore? I'm curious too, do you put boots on Mairead in the cold? Carol- let's not wait for the tombstone, we have to incorperate whooshemmama into our everyday speech now! I love that one.Hope you feel better real soon. Leslie- your pace has been kickin some butt lately.What is your target for your 30k? What do you reckon the temps to be like? Nice going for your Sis Jewels,sounds like she's hooked! That dirty stuff looks intriguing. I love the first sentence- "Weak, wimpy, treadmill running pansies who are afraid to get some dirt in their shorts need not apply. " Is your pool still open? Sounds like you and Leslie will need a swim after that one! Hope the fog clears for ya Arla. Your log looks terrific! How many weeks until the big day? Are you planning on doing 20's? Jim- sounds like it's a good thing you had some wide open space as a kid driving! Might have hit sumthin' otherwise! Good luck with that hairy child of yours! Hey SR- how many marathons this week? Five for the month?!?! It's hard for this first timer to fathom what you do! Kelly- sounds like a fun time this time of year in NYC.Your kids must have been wide-eyed.I'm sure Boston's real nice this time of year too but nothing like Rockefeller Plaza at Christmas time! Good luck with your classes.Any slopes open up there yet? Hey Evryday- the way things are going, the Giants aren't going to have too many players ,if half of them are in jail?!?!? Or shooting themselves!! What a dope that Plaxico is?????? Back to the Cheesquake hills today for the first time in a while. 8.5 miles and those hills were NOT impressed when told of my marathon results. They just stood there, as tall as ever, silent, as if mocking me.So I gave them the finger after I was done running all over them . Smile

Hello Evryone! I wussed out on a scheduled 6 miler yesterday. The weather was perfect but then a glitch at work threw me a curve. Stayed at work later than I had intended. Most times I would have adjusted. But the laziness surfaced and I blew off the run. But, hey, I woke up this morning and evrything is still the same (except my running log is not as full)! Mtnchck....love the pictures. I'd like to be there to play. Fatozzig....good luck on the 30K this weekend. What is that like 18 miles plus? Wow! Arla does indeed have it going on with the marathon training. Arla will this be your first M? I see your scheduled for Disney World. That should be a fun one. Jim...I'm roughly 90 miles south southeast of Dodge City. (I think). A few years back we went up there several times over the course of about 2 years. My son raced motocross and they've got a track there. I thought it was windy here in NW OK. But what I remember about Dodge is the blowing dirt. Of course, at a dirt motocross track what do you expect?! Big grin Joe....Your Giants are reminding me of the Cowboys a few years back. On top of their game and then off the field shennanigans begin to creep in. I'm thankful he didn't hurt himself (or someone else) any worse than he did. Hey are you still up for a friendly wager on the Cowboy/Giants game? Nice runs so soon after your marathon. Be careful. Look for another post from me later this evening. With any luck, I'll be posting a run. By publicly annoucing it, the pressure is on!
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Jewels - oh, you gotta go for that dirt run...and their website is a hoot! Made me wonder - are there any Marine Corps Mud Runs out your way? Cindy - snow, just the way I like it, where I can see it but not feel it! Wink That's a cute area, if you have to be someplace with snow... Joe - I've got a 20 this weekend, actually I'm running 7, then toeing the starting line at the City of Angels Half Marathon http://cityofangelshalf.com/ , (which looks like a FAR better event than that awful LA Marathon), then another 20 two weeks later. 16 and 18 went well, so hopefully the 20s will as well - I just keep thinking of Stevie Ray, what I'm trying is wimpy in comparison. Leslie - enjoy that taper! Carol - I think you need to think t-shirt, not tombstone... Big grin Evryday - here's a heapin' dose of peer pressure for you - HTFU and run! Clowning around And yes, Disney's my first M. Seemed like a good idea when I signed up. Nothing but fog and gloom here, glad to be going home to sunny LA this weekend, also hanging out with a friend in Santa Monica and having lunch with Mom after the race. Arla

Ex runner

Morning, Evryone ~ Joe - I had to laugh at your last comment are the Cheesequake Hills (is that the real name??). I, too, have given many hills the ceremonial finger salute many times. Somehow it makes me feel better. Wink Weather.com says it's suppose to be 64 w/a few showers in Ridgecrest on Sunday. Dead I hope it cools off. I'd be happy with temps around 58-60 with a cloud cover. Not so cold I need my winter running tights, but not so warm that after awhile I would wish I was wearing shorts instead of my thin running tights. Me in shorts this time of year- well, it's rather a blindingly, shocking sight. I'd be afraid that other runners would follow me thinking that the blinding whiteness was some kind of beacon leading them to the promised finish line. And I'd be like, "Dudes! Don't follow me behind this sand dune! I gotta go to the bathroom!" Big grin My target finish time is 4.5 hours (knock real hard on wood). Power walk the hills like crazy, and make up as much time as possible on the downs and flats. Depending on how much gas is left in the tank toward the end, hopefully run (albeit slowly) some hills. The last 8 miles is mostly downhill, so that will help a lot. I've been ending all my Saturday training runs with a long downhill stretch, so hopefully my quads won't feel like totally jelly halfway down. Hey - Your photo on your "about me" page - you look like a poster child for running a marathon! Smile Evryday - 30k is 18.64 miles. Arla - When's the marathon? I know I've asked before, but bear with me. Your mileage is looking really good. Have fun at the half this weekend! It was a rest day for me today, which is good, since last night I managed to slightly strain a muscle in my lower back. Right side, right in the dang love handle area. Roll eyes Ice and ibu are on the ticket today. The Hub is borrowing a friend's TomTom to use while he's in Texas next week. I plugged in the distance from here to Ridgecrest - 13:35 hours, 649 miles. I knew it was a long way, but actually seeing it in front my face - Ugh! And we're going to try and make it all the way back on Monday? Somehow I'm seeing an overnight stop in Santa Rosa. That would be leave us 4 more hours, which would be a piece of cake early the next morning. Get my dad home in time for him to get some sleep before going to work that night, and I could just come straight to work for at least the afternoon. Seriously considering this. Okay - I've blabbed enough. Later!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Arla- Good luck with your half! They say that you should do some speedwork leading up to the full,so that's a good way to go.Just remember with your last 20 miler before the race you want to treat as a "dress rehersal" and be as close to the race prep as possible.Wear the same clothes, gu, drinks,etc. This way you will feel more prepared going into your marathon. Leslie- yep it's Cheesequake State Park.I think that it was named by the Quakers way back when.Who looks like a poster child? You forgot to put in the name. Sounds like a good plan for your race. Better to be not rushed and well rested. Evryday- I'm afraid I'm not a betting man when it comes to sports. Will a good ol' fashioned ribbing take it's place. I always feel like I jinx my team and besides, I have too much anxiety about it as it is! BTW- did you get your run in today? see ya's

xor

I just keep thinking of Stevie Ray, what I'm trying is wimpy in comparison.
                              Oh, no no no. Not at all wimpy. Those 20 milers are HARD WORK. You'll do great. Tell us how that half goes; I'm really interested in that race. And next year, I'm going to run a lot more halves, methinks.

Who looks like a poster child? You forgot to put in the name.
                                You do! Big grin On the verge of losing it here at work today . . . but I shall persevere!! (((sigh))) just needed to check in . . . .

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance