Masters Running

Tuesday June 14 Daily Stuff (Read 495 times)

Tramps

Good morning.  10 easy-pace miles for me.  Yesterday was just gorgeous and today’s another comfortable one.  Thank goodness for a break.

Anyone else enjoying the see-saw hockey playoffs?  Game 7 finals; it doesn’t get better than that.

Be safe. Be kind.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Game 7 will probably go to OT tied 0-0.  I'll probably catch the end of the game when I wake up Thursday morning.

It was pouring again this morning, so I did 10 laborious miles on the treadmill in the cardio cinema, while watching Malcolm X.  Yesterday was Jaws.  That movie still holds up well. 

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Nice 10 Tramps .... as for the playoffs, I only care if the Red Wings are in it, and even at that, only marginally.  Wink

Out for 5 this morning with the Brinkster in the cool 51° air.   We got our cat fartleks out of the way early with the black cat first, and he was not moving from his spot on the side of road, and then the black and white one, which was a little more leary, but never moved.   We were lucky enough to see a couple of deer too.

Tonight the first puppy leaves .... Jelly Belly ....oh, how will I say good bye to this fluff ball?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

HermosaBoy

Bye Jelly Belly -- Miss Rosie say Arrroooooo!!!

4.4 easy miles with Miss Rosie this morning  Nice morning, but I hear the weather may take a turn.  Oh well, as long as it's cool Saturday morning in Duluth...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Dave59

I suffered from some chemical imbalance yesterday.  It took forever to get up, no run or workout, and I could not work.  So, I took half the day off, got the oil changed in my car, washed it, vacuumed it and cut the grass. 

Today is back to normal.  Up early for a very nice 6-mile run and now getting my work done.  (Well, not right now because I am here, but you get the point.)

The hockey is great.  As a Buffalo native, I am cheering against Boston because of an intense hatred for them Big grin.  Vancouver came into the NHL the same year as Buffalo so it would be nice (and at the same time sad) to see them win the Cup.

I lived in Houston from 1999-2001.  In 2001, NBC preempted game 7 of the Stanley Cup to show a special on Tropical Storm Allison which had hit 2 weeks earlier.  Made no sense to me that they would do that and I still do not forgive them.  (What a storm that was.  35 inches of rain with 28 inches in 10 hours, tractor-trailer trucks floating down I-10, colonies of fire ants floating down the road looking for someone to bite, our church was completely wiped out.  Our house was fine thankfully. )

Leslie - Great to hear you're off the crutches!

Sometimes I call it the dreadmill but it was just what I wanted last night so I went to the Y for 6 mi.  Saw Tommy, my fellow local Brooks ID guy, who works there, and I felt like a wimp when I was driving away and saw him running outside.  We hit triple digit heat yesterday.

Having an interesting shoe issue.  Paul, remember how I had that weird weakness and even stumbled once when we ran together last week?  And I was in my newest shoes, right, so you would think it's all good, but I was back to them for the first time since that run in the rotation of Ghost, Wear Test Glycerin 9, then new Glycerin 8 with about 100 miles on them.  At 1.75 miles, the same cramp in my right foot developed and I stumbled, so I soon shut down the treadmill.  I wondered, what if I took out the sockliners?  I have "Morton's toe extensions" taped on the bottom of the liners and wondered if that was the culprit because I don't have them in the 9's and just ran for 2 hours in those Saturday.  Sure enough, it worked!  Then I got to thinking, I was running in a pair of 8's last summer when I got PF.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Slo

Nice 10 miler tramps.

I got out between storms and did 8 miles of hills. Feeling very strong.

Mariposai

It is always fun to follow Opie's "testing shoes" saga. I hope this one does not give you another PF.

Holly, are you OK, grilfriend? No running again today? I hope all is well in the injury compartment.

Still dancing here with Leslie's news. 

Jlynne, how are you doing?

OrangeMat, you too.

Last night's run in the heat left me very, very tired. So I decided to skip my AM run and will either take the day off or run a few miles at the gym tonight since it is gym date night for my DH and I. I am still in post-marathon recovery mode, so all is well.

Summer is here! Hurray!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

That is just the way to think about it Nancy.  Do as you feel, and allow yourself the easy recovery.

The Saint and I went on a low-carb diet a month ago, sort of like Atkins, and although it has worked wonders, no-carb or low-carb diets do not work at all well with running, and especially not with running in the TX heat.  I run a steady 40 miles a week, as I have learned that I break down after too many weeks of 50 or more, so this feels right to me.  But I may write a separate post just about the experience both of us had with our diet and running, as it is very instructive and others may wish to contribute. 

Starting weight a month ago was 156

Goal weight is 144  (I was worried at 156 that I was going to lose the name Spareribs, had a bit of a paunch going)

Weight at present:  146  (I think I may leave it right here, as I feel great and the middle is gone.)

Spareribs

wild, that was quite the picture of the "trail".  Perhaps a mountain goat would find it a trail.  perch, congrats on your 300 day streak.  fatozzig, hooray on the no crutches.  ribs, your brother in law is amazing.

Nice long runs for dive, wild, Tramps, and PBJ.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and there was a light wind.  I got in 8 miles in just over 1:20:30 for a 10:04 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, are you OK, grilfriend? No running again today? I hope all is well in the injury compartment.

Thanks for thinking of me, sweetness….no injury, thankfully, just no time these days.  I continue to be pretty overwhelmed at my new job, although I find it fascinating as well – every day I go home feeling like I’ve learned lots of new things, but that there are so many new things left to learn…also I’m still making the adjustment to the longer hours and trying to fit it all into our busy summer schedule, so my running is unfortunately taking a backseat for the moment.

We had a wonderful time in Indianapolis this weekend and the kids even (mostly) got along!  All day at the Children's Museum on Saturday, swimming in the hotel pool that night, then the zoo on Sunday, with fabulous weather - great fun for all of us.

Spareribs – nice job on the weightloss!

This morning my tummy was a little upset, so I just did 30 minutes of weights and core, followed by 2 miles on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Spareribs I have been meaning to say it is nice to have you back posting regularly here at RA.  Low-carb and running!?  Shocked  I have no idea how you managed it.  When I am running regularly I am a carb fiend!  Heck, when I am not running regularly I am a carb fiend!  Big grin  In any case, congratulations on the weight loss!  I know (alas from personal experience) how tough it is to lose it.

Dave59 can you say "the Heidi game?"  Now that was an outrage!  I was watching it when they cut away!  Angry  Worse, the Jets then went on to lose!  Cry

Mariposai summer?  Heh, come to CT!  It looks and feels like November.   June, universe, do you hear me!  June!!  Where is the heat!!!  Hello, universe calling universe . . . Angry

My PT told me to try walking.  She gave me a TM routine to do that includes quite a bit of time at a 3% and 5% grade.  I opted for a walk with my DW last night instead which included some uphill stretches.  I could really feel the uphill parts in my achilles tendon.   It still has a bit to go to heal up.  Today it was the gym and the elliptical.  Using the elliptical every other day is a lot easier on my psyche than every day!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Hi everyone. I guess I should check in, since Mariposai was so kind as to ask about me.... I've been running a little, uncomfortable a lot, and that combination doesn't make anything I do very interesting to report these days, so I've been kinda quiet. Started my new job yesterday, only three hours of sorting shorts and shadowing the rest of the staff, but I enjoyed it thoroughly. So much to learn! Next Thursday evening a Brooks rep is coming, so I get to pretend I'm Opie... Wink

This thread moves so quickly, it's tough for me to keep up... hugs to all who are injured, congrats to all the recent racers, and GO GO GO to Team Trout Slap on their relay this coming weekend!

evanflein

Holly, I know what you mean. I haven't run since Saturday, and don't see it happening today either. Maybe tomorrow morning... I guess I'm still in post-marathon recovery, too, but it'd driving me crazy! 

Mary, I bet it's hard to see them go, but they're off to new families who will love them dearly. That's gotta help. What a cutie!

Got home late last night (midnight), got to bed around 2, up at 5:30 and on the plane (again) by 7:30. Rainy and overcast here in Anchorage (typical) so being inside all day isn't so bad. But this sitting all the time is sure getting old.

lamerunner

Good afternoon. Kind of like Anchorage here I guess, cool, damp and occasionally drizzly.  Good running weather but that is about it.  Nice runs for Tramps and Slo.  I agree with Twocat on the low carb thing and running. I could not do it.

Got out early this morning for a brisk 8. legs felt pretty good. I also did a lunch swim and tried to do a 1000 fast ish, mostly to see how long  it would take.  Kind of tempo swim I guess. Then continued more slowly for a total of 3/4 mile.  Feel like I ned a nap this afternoon.

nice to see Erika.  The rest is probably good for you post-marathon but i hear you on the sitting!