Masters Running

Another Dam 50K RR (Read 345 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

This is a small trail race, limited to 120 entrants, and held at Englewood Dam Metropark, about 35 minutes north of here.  This is the third time I’ve run this race.  The course consisted of a 7.9+ mile circuit that was completed 4 times for a total of 31.7 miles. The first year the conditions were fairly ideal – dry trails and warm (64-75º range) but not too humid, and I finished in 5:36:26.  Last year it was hotter and very humid (76-84ºWink and muddy, and I finished in 6:05:53. 

My goal this year was to beat last year’s time.  I knew the intense heat forecast would slow me down, but I thought the trails would be less muddy because it hadn’t rained in several days, so chances were good.

The race started out well.  Temp was somewhere around 70º, trails were pretty runnable in most parts, and I felt great.  The first loop I felt like a gazelle, leaping over the roots and rocks, speeding the downhills and walking the few steep uphills.  Near the end of the loop, all of a sudden the skies opened up and it rained for maybe 15 minutes.  Then, 10 minutes later, the skies were clear again and the sun got down to business.  The second loop I still felt great, but was slowing down as the heat increased.

Each loop we run across the dam twice – 1 mile from one side to the other, and by the third loop the sun was brutal on this unprotected expanse.  About halfway through the third loop is where I got into trouble.  I thought I was drinking enough, but I started to slow considerably, suddenly felt dizzy and weak, and realized that I had gotten way behind on my hydration.  I began to take frequent walk breaks, and as I started the fourth loop, the trip across the dam seemed to take forever, with the air like a sauna and the sun blasting me.  I would run 100 yards, walk 10 feet, run 100 yards, walk 10 feet, the woods waiting at the other side of the dam like a mirage.

I finally got to the next aid station and stopped to drink 2 glasses of Gatorade and 1 glass of water.  When I came back by that station 3 miles later I drank 2 more full glasses of water.  I was already feeling better, and the rest of the race I didn’t have to walk at all, even managed to sprint into the finish. 

After a bottle of water and a slice of pizza, I headed home.  It was 93º.

Results:

Time: 6:03:19

5/18 AG (40-49) finishers (2 DNF)

14/42 women finishers (6 DNF)

41/93 OA finishers (13 DNF)

(I find it interesting to compare starter/finisher stats in these kinds of events.)

So, I beat last year’s time, but just barely.  Really, in spite of the heat, I should have come in under 6 hours, but those walk breaks in the third loop really set me back.  If I had stayed on top of my hydration better, that wouldn’t have happened.  Still, given the heat, I’m okay with it.  There’s always next year.

Here’s what I came away from this race with:  I decided not to try that 50-miler in July that I have been considering.  The distance is daunting enough, but the heat and humidity here in mid-July will likely be brutal, and I just don’t feel like putting myself through that kind of misery.  Maybe someday, if I can find one in the cooler weather….

Thanks for reading....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I've been waiting for this report! Congratulations on a great time, in less than desirable conditions. With the pic, I remember which race this is.

Yep, never underestimate the power of heat and humidity . . . and getting behind on hydration.  My buddy, Karen, did the 3-day Western States training camp over Memorial Day Weekend (70 miles 3 days), and the first day, she got severely behind on hydration.  Where you were able to run 100 yards, walk 10 feet, she ran a few yards, puked, wobbled back and forth on the trail, tried to run, puked, wobbled . . .

You've become an incredible ultra runner, Holly, and should be extremely proud of yourself.  I have no doubt that when you find the right 50-miler, you're going to be blown away by how well you do.  Hey! Come out to CA and do the American River 50-Mile Endurance Run!  It's right up your alley - half pavement, half trails.  Perfect!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

congrats Holly. You really did well considering the weather. We felt it in Oxford at Miami U. where the indoor graduation ceremonies were in AC comfort. Never raced on Sunday, but thanks for your suggestions, BTW the American River 50 miler is a great race. Several of my friends have done it.

You've become a formidable Ultra-runner my Friend.  H&H is the pits.  You did very, very well in tough conditions.  You figured out what the problem was, worked to get it behind you, and finished strongly.  Perfectly done!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mike E

MM #5615

Yeah, your comeback is what is really impressive to me. Great job!
            Mariposai

The first loop I felt like a gazelle, leaping over the roots and rocks, speeding the downhills and walking the few steep uphills.  

After a bottle of water and a slice of pizza, I headed home.  It was 93º.

Results:

Time: 6:03:19

5/18 AG (40-49) finishers (2 DNF)

14/42 women finishers (6 DNF)

41/93 OA finishers (13 DNF)

Great work as always, dear ultra queen! 93F would have made me walk the whole way! Congrats.

I must say that I am happy to hear that you are not going to run the race in July. Find a cooler one...you are ready for it!

You are one tough cookie...and you inspire me to keep giving my best!!

Congrats!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

You are a rugged individual! Nice rebound. 

SteveP

Nice one, Holly.  I like the description you provided of the first loop, feeling like a gazelle, leaping ovr the rocks and roots.  I pictured you strong fit and determined. 

Congrats on anothr ultra.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Congratulations, ultraHolly.  Goals are nice, but the most important thing is to finish healthy.  You did that.  If you're looking for something closer than CA, consider the North Face Challenge, Madison, WI.  The course is not actually in Madison.  It's Sept. 17--not as cool as an October race, but better than July! I am considering it but am monitoring a knee sprain that is slow to heal.

FO

Tramps

Whew.  I was hot just reading this report.  Tough day but a solid effort...and a good lesson learned about hydration. 

My only hometown 50K is held in August, which is why I've never even thought about doing it.  The odds of brutal heat and humidity are just too high.  I think you were wise to find a better time of year for your first 50 miler.  Given how well you've been running, though, I'm sure you'll get it done someday. 

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on finishing another ultra.  Any chance you could ask the RD to schedule this race for a cooler time of year?  Sounds like a nice course but just too hot.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

lamerunner

Great job Holly, especially in that heat. It does look like a nice course and reasonable terrain, but that kind of distance is awfully tough in hot weather. Great job rallying at the end too!

Great job in the brutal H&H, holly.  Congrats on beating your goal.  I'm really impressed the way you came back after your hydration shortfall.

TomS

You handled the heat so well, just amazing to me.  I'm sure you'll find a nice hilly but shady! 50M in your future.  Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Congrats again on completing this race and improving your time very nicely.  Good choice on using the walk breaks and also good choice on not doing a 50 miler in July. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.