Masters Running

40's On The Run - Dog Days of Summer! (Read 418 times)

And before you question, yes, I have other things I should be doing besides posting here, but they aren't nearly as fun . . . And on that note, here's a link to some pretty incredible pictures re the fires here in CA.: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/07/californias_continuing_fires.html Keep the firefighters in your thoughts and prayers. Those folks are true heroes.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I don't really know the neighborhoods in Cambria, but their house (it's a second home, so we had it to ourselves!) is downbeach and up the hill from Shamel Park, so I was able to walk down the hill (it was literally too steep to run down it!), jog over to the park, then catch the boardwalk near Moonstone Beach and run along the beach for a couple of miles. Auntie and Uncle said we could stay there "anytime", and while I don't want to abuse them, I might try and make it a yearly event, hopefully coinciding with our annual heatwave.

Ex runner

Arla......I sense a bit of ole English in you. Are your parents from England? Ya Leslie, I'm feeling pretty useless the last few days. I feel lazy, even though I've been busy, but lazy in the active sorta way......really stinks! But, I have been pain free for a couple of days, even the stairs at school don't bother me anymore so I know I'm on the mend. Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
          Arla - Your aunt and uncle live on Park Hill (Shamel Park . . . Park Hill . . . go figure). Directly across the highway and to the left is the Happy Hill section. To the right of that section is Pine Knolls. If you get on the highway from Park Hill going south, about 2-3 miles down (?) there is stoplight. To the left and right is Lodge Hill. If you turn right, you are headed in the direction I lived, on Berwick Drive. If you cross the highway from Park Hill and make a right-hand turn, you are in the "new" part of Cambria. A few blocks after you turn, there should be a pizza joint and a few other stores in one building on the left (after The Soldier Factory). If you take the windy road behind that building (Hillcrest Drive), you'll come upon Nit Wit Ridge and funky house on the left built by Art Beale (http://www.centralcoasttourist.com/San_Luis_Obispo_CO/SLO_Area_Info/Cambria/Cambria_Features/NittWit/nitwit.html). He was around when I was a kid, and quite eccentric, indeed. My grandparents' house was at the top of Hillcrest, on the right, just as you crest the hill and it starts to flatten out. The boardwalk is new since I was there many moons ago. Cambria used to be a very sleepy little town. My high school had 260 kids in it. For years there was a moritorium on water meters, which meant you could purchase property, but unless it already had a water meter on it or you were sold one you could grandfather in, you couldn't build. Maybe ten years ago ( Confused) it was lifted, which caused a building boom. Also, a number of years ago Sunset Magazine did an article on that whole area, which "put it on the map," so to speak. Now they're having water difficulties again, and the last I heard, they were considering giving out only a certain number of meters again and then placing a permanent cap on it, which would mean no more building unless you again did the grandfathering thing. Years ago there was talk of building a desalinization plant, but I don't know how far that's gone. I loved growing up there. With Big Sur to the north and Santa Maria a couple of hours to the south, it is situated quite nicely. If you've never taken a tour of Hearst Castle, I highly recommend it, but during the "off season" when there aren't so many tourists. And if you take Highway 46 to Paso Robles, they've put in a number of wineries through there. At a couple of the pullouts, on a clear day you can see Morro Rock in Morro Bay from Hwy. 46. Okay - Enough trivial information. I really do have to get some work done today. Blush

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Good Afternoon! Started Boot Camp this am....0600: ran a mile out + 50 jumping jacks to warm up...then 8 X 30 mtr hill repeats followed by 40 pushups, repeat both 5 X's timed! Shocked I made it in 24 mins...followed by 1.5 mile run....then I went & got Mairead for 6.26 more....can I take a nap now? Confused I get to do this again (hopefully something different - 250 sit-ups Roll eyes ) on Thursday am............
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              Good Afternoon! Started Boot Camp this am....0600: ran a mile out + 50 jumping jacks to warm up...then 8 X 30 mtr hill repeats followed by 40 pushups, repeat both 5 X's timed! Shocked I made it in 24 mins...followed by 1.5 mile run....then I went & got Mairead for 6.26 more....can I take a nap now? Confused I get to do this again (hopefully something different - 250 sit-ups Roll eyes ) on Thursday am............
              Can I just say - - Holy crappola! Shocked Good going, Cindy!!!!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Woot, woot Cindy! Now I really feel like a lazy bum! Jewels
                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                  I know, I know, I know . . . Don't you have anything better to do? Yes, but I don't want to do it. This is very cool indeed, and has absolutely nothing to do with running: http://www.greatdanepro.com/Blue%20Bueaty/index.htm

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Ultrachick

Morning Everyone! Just a quick note that I posted a race report on the Ultra Thread http://runningahead.com/groups/ultra/Forum/Post/2dca0ba266204dc6a6f8acedb14f70a4#focus I know that is new territory for some of you Big grin but we're all very friendly there (all of 5-6 people including Leslie) Have a great day! Kelly
                    If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

4.1 slooow miles in semi muddy conditions. Nice to just run and not be too concerned about pace. Hope to just get some easy miles in this week and get weekly totals back up following my 10 day "racing season". Supposedly another 5/10k planned at our county fair end of the month, doesn't really light my fire at this point. Nice .70 in rain last nite. We cut a couple of loads of wheat late afternoon, a little on the wet side (not quite ready).

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

flatland mountaineer

sorry dup post

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning Everyone! A little stiff & achey this am, but not really all that bad Surprised...so, shook out the kinks & went out for a little over 5 in a little under an hour...@ 5:30am ....beautiful 56*F/68% H sunrise! Yes R2: http://www.gtishalf.org/ Wink
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            {{{{Yawn}}}} Tapering, so no workout today. All this nervous energy and nothing to do! It felt good to sleep in, though, and I kicked all the cats out around 4:30 to ensure I was able to. Was snoozing real good until a firework went off at 5:30 in the little grass alley behind our house. Scared the crap outta me. Sounded like a gunshot. The Hub never even budged. Roll eyes I'd say he'd be absolutely worthless if anyone broke in the house. Wink The wind must've shifted during the night 'cause it's very smoky/hazy here today.

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Good thing it's a "rest day" then Leslie! be careful out there you guys!!!

jfa

Hi Folks- hope the air's ok out there for you guys in California. Been seeing alot of it on the news. Kelly- Great report! Wow, that's incredible! Very funny about the cows. How were you feeling a couple of days after something like that? Been a busy week for me at work.I'm heading down to NC Sunday night for an install project and have to do alot of prep work first. Have a good one.......