Masters Running

40's On The Run - Dog Days of Summer! (Read 418 times)

Top 'O the World!

Morning! Much Quieter thread this week.....must be Summertime! Great RR Kelly! Smile that's a loooong day! I repeat, You are amazing! Boot Camp this am...Uh-oh! starting out running bleachers (I have never been able to run open bleachers well - it's a visual thing! Tongue ) then: I don't even know how to describe these things Confused...timed drills - 1 min. in each "station" to do as many reps as you can, w/o break move to next station & repeat...5 stations, 3 sets.....snap/push 10lb dumbbell's over head; box jumps onto the lower bleacher seat; Sumo squats w/35lb bar up into chin pull/row; more weighted squats w/smaller (15 lb?) pushing weight overhead upon standing; jump-rope....I made something like 370 total reps (I kept losing count & jump rope really pads the #'s) in 15 mins (ish) Shocked Holy Crap Batman! talk about going anaerobic! & I'm still achey from Tues! what a weenie I be Roll eyes Tongue I could take a nap now.... I've decided that I need to spend some time/run @ elevation before I do the next HM @ 8,500' Hopefully correct a few things I did wrong w/the last one....soo, I'm going to go up to the mtn house tomorrow to do my long run @ 10,000 on Sunday....
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      Cindy - 10,000 feet of elevation? I'm having trouble breathing just thinking about it. I'm also having sympathy soreness after reading your post. As graceful as I am, I'd be afraid of hooking a toe on a bleacher step/seat and splattering myself all over the place. Joe - Good luck on the install. You computer guys amaze me. So in August Karen and I are crewing for her sister, Kate, at the Headlands Hundred. Guess what?? Kate talked my trail angel from Forest Park, Russ, into pacing her the last 30 miles! Big grin I'm excited about seeing him again, and actually getting to talk to him without feeling like I want to die. He'll fly in Friday in time to have dinner with us and fly home Sunday. Should be fun! This A.M.: 5 min warm up/cool down w/6 one-minute strides w/45 secs of rest in between. I am a bundle of nervous-as-he!! energy with no real way to get rid of it. We leave in the a.m. for the short 3 1/2 drive to Ashland. Run starts Saturday at 6:00 a.m. with an 8.5 hour time limit. Stomach's doing flip flops . . . ack!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.....it has been 13 days since my last run. Sad Leslie, you're gonna do great! I know, easy for me to say. But, you did the training so now go kick some booty. Will Karen's sister be there to help push you guys along if need be? I know she was a great help to you along with your "angel" Russ at your last race. Good luck to you and Karen! Kelly, great race report. You really did a great job. You and Jack are lucky to have each other in so many ways. Cindy, how far is your mountain home from your home that you reside in? That bootcamp sounds tough but you'll see some great results. Oh Arla....are your parents from England? Joe, sounds as though your busy with your job. Do you travel much for work? Don't you have a 5 miler coming up? Jim, so are the town folks still "talking"? Like that one country song says, "Let's give 'em something to talk about". Gotta go take mom to the doc.....have a great evening all! Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.....it has been 13 days since my last run. Sad Cindy, how far is your mountain home from your home that you reside in? That bootcamp sounds tough but you'll see some great results. Jewels
          1.) Big grin aren't you supposed to get some whatchamacallits for circumstances beyond your control?! how's your hip/groin feeling these days? hmmm? 2.) mtn house is about 2hrs (90 winding miles) /4,000' away & DS will be down here for the wknd, so I get the house & Misty to myself (to clean btwn runs Tongue ) 3.) God I hope so!! DH called the check I wrote for 20 classes "torture payments" - or something like that Leslie: {{{{{{{{{{GOOD LUCK!!!!!}}}}}}}}}}}} may the "Trail Gods" find favor w/your presence! Wink
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.....it has been 13 days since my last run. Sad Jewels
            Too funny! Kate will be running the 50k with us . . . or should I say way ahead of us. How's your mom doing?

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Jewels- that's funny. First, a good whack on the knuckles with a ruler. Then for penance, 20 jumping jacks, 20 pushups, and don't forget your homework ! To answer your questions- I don't travel as much lately,maybe a couple of times a year. Yes, I do have a 5 mile race Saturday morning. I did real well last year in that race ( 47:02 @ 8:37 pace) and hope to beat it this year.I'm just hoping it's not too hot. Forcast says about 75* @ 8:30am start time. Cindy- sounds like you're Really kicking some asphalt! That altitude training sounds tough.I remember when I was discharged from the Navy in the early 80's and went to visit a friend in Colorado Springs. I was in awesome shape,mostly from swimmimg and bike riding.Well, I tried running in Colorado and felt like I was 90 years old! I guess I'm one of those wimpy sea level kinda guys..... Leslie- Best Of Luck to ya in your mega race. Between you and Kelly, I feel almost guilty running in a 5 mile race?!? Again, thoughts of a wimpy nature cross my mind. You'll do Great I'm sure!! Don't drink too much this time Cool Poor Buddy has been ditched several times this week cause of the heat. Also, I have been going a little faster in prep for my race. ~ Have a good night Folks ~

Thanks for the good lucks, guys. Hey Joe - Love the new Avatar pic of Buddy. He's getting to be quite the ham! Good luck on your 5-miler. It should be fun!

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning! TGIF!? Joe: When is your 5 miler? yeah....., 'almost' feel guilty..... Evil grin You'll make it up to Buddy as the Summer heat eases off Smile.....actually, maybe the dogs have the right idea! Maybe we shouldn't be running this much in the heat either!? Confused I just need to get my lazy butt up so I'm out by 5am! & It IS much cooler up @ the mtn house...20* cooler Wink....you "get used" to the elevation...& it takes different folks (even the fittest ones) differing amts of time to acclimate....at the very least, you should plan on at least two easy days (sleeep lots) before trying moderate activity...let your body build additional red blood cells for more oxygen transport....& the more time you spend up there, the more your body "adjusts" by enhancing other systems...I've heard that the reason for the low %'s of heart disease amongst those of us who live @ higher elevations is due to the body building additional capillaries in the heart & lungs...(not being a MD, I can't say... but understanding how some of the body's systems work, it makes sense) one of my neighbor ladies up there took about a month - 6 wks before she could run up there.... & I consider this: Lance usually brought his crew up to Leadville, 10,152' for about a month right before the Toure every year.... Wink Deena & Elva both trained/lived for years up here & in fact, were @ Co Sprgs @ the Olympic Training Ctr, 6,008' until the end of May this yr...wonder why they chose to put that in CO?! hmmm.....Not so much avail for boating though.....I'm no longer very tolerant of higher humidity levels... Going to be in the upper 90's again here today..already 70* @ 5:30am!... Tongue was already too warm to run w/Mairead by the time I got home from boot camp yesterday ~ & heating up fast! so, I took her to the lake!..... she's got that "worried look" down I tell ya!...., we camped out @ a small clump of trees right on the edge of the water....I set up my gear, secured her w/a 40' tie cable to one of the trees (lots of shade) & proceeded to mostly ignore her...she spent most of the 1st hr sitting as far as the cable would allow her from the water. We got there early, so not very many people/boats yet....by shortly before we left - somewhere btwn 2-3 hrs - I walked her along the edge, but she wouldn't get in, the water....she's such a scaredy cat! Roll eyes Well, I'd best get on my "domestic duties" so I can get outta here this afternoon! Have a Great Weekend Everybody!! Cindy

flatland mountaineer

4.1 miles this morn, nice and cool, kinda migrated to tempo pace for a bit, not really on purpose. Harvest is officially underway. Got going about 2pm on neighbors custom job and had 80 ac and 4400 bushel cut and hauled to town for him by 7:30 pm and moved to fields south of my house on our stuff. About 80% humdity at 7 am. need basically under 50% to combine so have time to check irrigation and service equipment. Leslie good luck on your race!! You too Joe have fun on that 5 miler, thats pretty loooong compared to what we been racing lately. Jewels hope your recovering nicely. Cindy that bootcamp sounds awful tough,that Idaho Springs half is interesting but kinda hard for us to get away at that time and then there is the acclimation thing also. Enjoy the cool temps at the mtn house. Need to get some irrigation checked! later gators Dad getting edged out at the finish by a 91 yr old lady and her grandaughter, he uses my old trekking poles. http://www.granttribune.com/

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Just a quick "hi" before I get on the motorcycle on my way to Wyoming. I'll be heading up the eastern side of CA into Oregon and then on to Boise, pick up my riding buddy Greg, then a few should-be-awesome days in the Tetons, Yellowstone, Bighorns, a little hanging out and partying with friends, then back through the Nevada desert! Oh, and no, no one in my family is from England as far as I know. We have some Russians and a few wandering Germans...and something else must be in there, because I have olive skin. Maybe there's a family skeleton! Cool Have good runs, everyone, I'll post from Wyoming and report on what blue skies look like. Tongue Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Arla: Where in WY? & will you be coming through here at all??

Ultrachick

Happy Friday everyone! Good Luck Leslie at your race! You'll do great! Cindy- that bootcamp sounds like it's kickin' some booty around! Good for you for signing up and making the commitment. Arla-have fun on your motorcycle trip. I don't like driving behind motorcycles-I'm afraid of running one over because I always feel like I'm going to look past them and go. Jewels-I hope you're feeling better. My left hamstring has been bothering me a little bit for a while that I finally went and saw an athletic trainer friend who works in a physical therapist's office. PT starts next week to get me stretched out and stronger! Joe-Good luck at your race as well. I hope you beat your time and have fun. My legs are feeling OK. I've got 31 miles so far this week-all at base pace. I'll start speedwork again next week (granted my hamstring is feeling better). I've got a 10 miler planned for Saturday and 20 planned for Sunday. There's my weekend! Next weekend is the VT100 and it doesn't look like a lot of WS people decided to make the trip. I'll drive 120 miles supporting Jack while he runs 100. It's a long day but always a fun time. Have a great weekend! Kelly
                          If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

3.1 easy miles 59 deg 60 ish percent humidity. That puts me back to an even 20 for the week. Long run in jepardy tommorow due to harvest. People losing their heads during harvest regarding driving. Loaded semis running 70 mph + on gravel roads, very dangerous time. Sending good racing thoughts to Leslie and Joe!!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

Aaahhh! Luvs me some mountain air! Smile 4.5 nice n easy miles @ 10,000 ft. 43 degrees prolly 7 per humidity....Now I'm in Fairplay (the REAL South Park!) For the Ladies Run of Colo. Doing seated massage for TNT donations.... Should I run or party later?
                                P-A-R-T-Y Big grin
                                But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee