Masters Running

Thursday, Nov. 13 Runs and Rests (Read 563 times)

Decided to waste time read through the daily for a bit! A very active group here! dg. hmm, ok I think three injuries gets you in. Hope you get out fast too! hopeful4ever and Mariposai sorry but you know how important these membership requirements are. Otherwise who knows what would happen to world peace? Clowning around TammyinGP ahh, next you are going to claim there is no 40/0 club. Cry I am crushed! Craneium good for your determined little runner. I wish her all speed in the race. As to volleyball I sure hope you hit 100 before the Cubs get a World Series Championship! enkephalin I hope the doctor has good news for you. I will keep my fingers crossed. In the meantime you are a great addition to the non-running group! About that weight loss . . . I second Holly S. Angry

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

TammyinGP

oh yeah Enke Angry . . . well, I lost 3 lbs over the last couple wks too . . . but I did it the old fashioned way . . . through exercising, running my patootie off and food abstinence . . . so just you go back to your bed and eat your potato chips and lose more weight! hah! how come my way doesn't sound more fun? Confused

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #3309

Being the great and generous guy I am... and having 3 injuries, I am now offering two of my injuries to qualified applicants....only those wanting to "non run" need to apply. Ok, these are your choices... Stress Fracture Achilles Tendinitis Heel spur Ok, who's going to take two of these off my hands....and free shipping also if ordered today. Any takers???? Geez, sure tet finds tapering easy, and I would too getting to meet hawt RA wimmin...but I'm gut'n it out the hard / Ole Fashion way...multiple injuries. I did get a new set of x Rays on my stoopid foot, and waiting for a call from my Doc to hear the bad good news Just taken a little break and being onery...back to work don't tell my boss Ole Fashion Timmy

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, I did a quick count, and I think there are 10 non-runners vs. only 8 runners so far today. Cool You can add me to the running group, but the non-runners are still ahead! I did an easy 4-miler at lunchtime in very warm and windy conditions - 60 degrees and gusts to 30 mph. A storm is blowing in, and we're supposed to get snow tonight and tomorrow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Top 'O the World!

hmmm, you'd hafta add me to the non-running group today Sad and I seem to have dropped a lb (not 3) over the past 24 hrs, but I really don't think anyone wants to do it "my way" Tongue
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Tramps

The good news is Accuweather (top) and Weather.com (bottom) now agree (more or less) on a forecast. The bad news is… Shocked Bring it on! Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

dg.

Aaamos, a picture for you.
                  I'll have to catch up on everyone's posts later. Still trying to get my act together to get out of town. Well, my day has been totally screwed up. We were suppose to fly out at 6:00 this a.m. to LAX then drive to Riverside. Got home last night and my friend called and said she'd received a message that our flight had been canceled until 5:00 p.m. due to weather. (We have one of the foggiest airports in the nation. During WWII, pilots practiced taking off and landing in the fog here.) I called around and tried to get a flight on the other airline - $1,000 per ticket!! Shocked WTF?? Obviously that ain't happening. So I decided I'd go for my long run today instead of in Riverside tomorrow (we won't get to the Mission Inn til around 10:00 p.m.). Unfortunately, my workout schedule didn't prepare me for my long run today. Undecided And it's terribly sultry and wet here today. Undecided Undecided So the combination of my 6-mile hilly run yesterday, the weather today, and my not-many-carbs-day Tuesday - I was crashing and burning early in my run. And to top it off, I forgot that my Garmin didn't change with daylight savings, so I looked at it and was like, "Crap! It's almost 12:00!!" (forgetting I started my run at 8:30). Needless to say, I didn't complete my 15 miles - only did 11.68. I know that one lousy week of workouts does not an entire training schedule break, but it still feels kinda crappy. If think if the weather gets less humid next week, I will do a lot better. Okay - time to finish packing! Later, Gators!!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

You can put me down in the runners group, 7.25 miles with my running buddy this am. Seattle Marathon is fast approaching...hopefully we'll stay healthy enough to have a fun day out there, rain or shine! .... It seems to have stopped raining in my corner of the PNW...let see how long it lasts!! Good wishes to all of you on the injured list, get well soon Enke...we still have that running date pending..!! Francesca
                      5.08 miles progressive - 45:03 (8:52) Avg HR 123 Max Hr 135 in light rain and 45 degrees. 8:58 - 8:52 - 8:40 - 8:21 - 8:05 - :08
                        Tramps, if you are going for the umbrella hat option, just make sure you chose the all plastic model safe to wear during electrical storms. Good Luck.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I feel as if I had Attention Defecit Disorder today...I'm trying to hold all the replies I want to make in my brain and it won't cooperate! (I think I may be floored by the "gift" of that Brussel Spout plant, dg--but I insist on sharing it with Jlynne and Twocat!) Hey, TimBo--I heard eating Brussel Sprouts is good for foot injuries. Wink Tramps, but you like to be teased, remember? Say, you know, I was remembering the 07 Denver marathon last October--it was raining and cold. You get up and think "ugh!" but when you get to the start, there's all your fellow runners, all ready to brave the elements. It's ok, you know, as you're all in it together. And afterwards, you'll have a story to tell. You'll be gnarly, as TammyinGP would say. Enke, it's only b/c of your injury that we're not hitting on your harder for losing 3 lbs while lazing around. Glad you're starting to feel better. I loved the Brinkley photo. Frank gets to go to work with DH tomorrow--he does outreach in the northern hills so it's a lot of carriding. You'll get back in the groove, Mary, not to worry. DH was in trouble last night--I got home and he was out walking his 2 mile loop. In the dark. Without the headlight. We had the "safe exercising chat." I mean, after all, he has Pedey aboard now Roll eyes. (O, and dickyG, ARod would be wrong for so very many reasons Dead) Franc59--and we can talk about an Italian marathon! I ran, but slowly today--6 miles at a 9:00 mile pace. High 40s but 23 mph winds. Carolyn sent it this way, I think. Wind is hard. Amy is wusy. grins, A. ps: Thanks for your continued good wishes. We just look upbeat, folks--remember my Monday post, and believe that we have our moments. Sad Our doc told us he was getting one brand of ICD and then we learned the installation docs used another kind, from a company with a really bad reputation--Guidant. Angry This is TMI but in case there is a curious person out there, you can check this: http://www.theheart.org/article/696795.do Yup, around 2005, they knew of defects but did not tell clinicians and allowed defective ICDs to still be implanted. Anyway, I'm in touch with someone at Guidant (now Boston Scientific) and we're getting info on DH's model and his leads and also on what changes the company has implemented to address their past carpy behavior. And I'm making enough of a record there that if DH's devices become known to be defective, someone for sure will know to notify the determined woman [I'm thinking that may be a euphemism for me] out on the plains. And life goes on! Cool
                          Masters 2000 miles

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

taper day 19 of planned 29 to tammy-day on 11/23 makes me another timmy-boy non-runner.
                            Umbrella hats and wiper glasses. Sheesh! And I’m not even sure if Tet was serious or not. Roll eyes
                            tramps - yup, unfortunately too very true. I even took my umbrella hat out for a test run with rubber bands, velcrow, etc. but still couldn't keep the wind from blowing it off. I'd wear it for summer shade too but I have a battery fan cap for that. No windshield wipers though as cap bill seems to do okay.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Amy, I'm sorry to hear Pedey is from a company with a bad reputation! That sucks! Especially since you discussed a different kind with your doctor but that's not what was installed. Give 'em hell! Tim, how 'bout those x-rays? Any news?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Tramps--take the hat (Hopeful said she'd lend you her DH's) and duck tape it on your head!
                                Masters 2000 miles