Masters Running

Inauguration Day runs and whatever ... (Read 455 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Timbo – don’t run off, just do what I do...... (Carolyn was right.) Slo_Hand – I hate running in that stuff, but you are right that it gives you a heck of a workout. AnnieD – Hiyah! Wish I was taking you up on that very kind offer, but alas, it is not to be. Maybe next year? Mariposai – always a joy to share some time with you...have fun! Smile Intervals planned for today, but it was only 7 degrees outside, and I really didn’t want to try to run fast while wearing 10lbs of clothes, so I wimped out again. 8 miles for me on the TM this morning (watching Revenge of the Sith, including 8 x ½ mile intervals at 8:20 pace (4:10 per interval) with a 1-minute recovery. Today these were pretty tough. Some days you have it, some you don’t. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

good morning Smile great runs, bill & Steve! Tim, good luck to you. Slo_hand... thanks for that description. that's exactly what I ran in 2 weeks ago. I could not figure out what to call it. Perfect. the funny thing is, I did 4.3 miles too. exactly. slower, of course. at least I'm consistent. Wink. Lou... the core workout was after your run? Mary, good choice. out of time for now. 4.03 miles on the gym track this morning, a 10:05 average hammie saving pace. 8:34 max. They hurt a lot more this morning... but my massage therapist works at my gym as a personal trainer, I asked him after the first mile & he said yes it could be massage pain (had one yesterday morning) & it was ok to run. I hope he was right. Does that make sense to anyone? then about 18 min. on the elliptical & 1 set on the lower body weight machines.
        Lou... the core workout was after your run?
        Yup. RW said either before or after, so I decided to replace my post-run stretching with a post-run core routine.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

dg.

Yup. RW said either before or after, so I decided to replace my post-run stretching with a post-run core routine.
          thanks. I'll be interested to hear how this works out for you.

Renee the dog

Blush Back from my crazy 3 mi on the beach. I'm still Blush 'cause while we were out running circles on the snow-covered sand and generally being insane, I didn't see the police cruiser come out on the beach. I'm in a granny hat, granny gloves, dog is off-leash and I'm running crouched down, up like a bear, etc. all to mess with the dog. Police officer cruises up along side me and says, "How's it going?" with a big grin from ear to ear. I mumbled something about workin' out my cabin fever and how it was more fun when I didn't know I was being watched. He just waved and said, "Enjoy the rest of your run." It could have been worse. It could have been one of the cops that I know. Black eye It was very kind of him to not even tell me to leash up the dog, let alone ticket me. I did leash her up at that point though, and we ran "regular" for the rest of the time. Good runs and rests to all.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tramps... Excellent Tempo run!!..'09 BQ bodes well

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Tim, I'm sorry to hear that you have become confused by all the advice and feel like you need to take a break from RA, but I understand. I hope that I did not add to your confusion too much. I think your idea of running 1 mile every other day and seeing how it goes is a good one. I hope you come back after you are running regularly. I know that folks feel like giving unsolicited advice and have been on the receiving end of quite a bit. I think you just have to take it all in and ultimately decide for yourself. I know that we here at RA wish you only the best. I hope you have a speedy return to full time running. We were supposed to have snow here today but nothing has shown up yet. The kids are off school based solely on predictions and I am staying home to be with them and watch the inauguration. It is cold and super windy today and my run was not easy but thankfully is done. 11 miles in 32 degree temps and 30 mph NE winds (wind chill 18 degrees). Needless to say, the half of the run into the wind was a trudge. I somehow managed to run 8:00 miles on average for the whole thing. Happy inauguration all!

Once a runner . . .

TammyinGP

I was off line yesterday so now I have to go back and read yesterday's daily to see how you all chased Tim off! Tongue I'm at work today and trying to catch glimpses of the coverage as I am able. Tried bringing up the live coverage on FB - but apparently this is a pretty popular choice today so I couldn't get in. . . Oh, well, they'll be re-broadcasting everything throughout the evening as well. Like Breger said, whether you voted Pres. Obama or not, this is undoubtedly a major turning point in our history and worth watching. Our son is only 9 but we are making sure he sees this so that he will always remember this day and just how important it is. We also watched some of the CNN coverage yesterday for MLK Day - lots of footage of various marches that took place in the 60's, blacks being beaten, hosed, denied access to places, the I Have a Dream speech, etc. Wanting David to have an appreciation for this time in our history and that it really wasn't all that long ago. And sadly enough, we live in a smallish rural town (about 35K) that is still quite racial - very few blacks live here and many of the ones that do face bigotry and racism. One high school, about 30 miles south of us, is so racist that only a few yrs ago, they threw stones at the bus carrying football players from our highschool because we had a black football player on the team and this high school didn't want a black person on their field. I'm so saddened that this mentality still exists, and especially where I live. I'll get in a run later today, at lunch time.

Tammy

King of PhotoShop

Riveted on the Inauguration ceremonies, quite a lot of important history to soak in. 5 miles with the Saint this morning, followed by stretch workout. Spareribs
                      Tim - Come back soon and take care. Nono - Even I was grinning from ear to ear! Nice runs among you folks these days, even with the snow and cold temps. Did 5 miles with 6 long, steep hill repeats beginning toward the end of Mile 3: 1. 10:29/9:04/138 2. 10:00/8:32/150 3. 9:23/8:33/155 4. 12:45/8:00/149 (hill repeats started) 5. 9:56/8:32/152 6. 9:41/8:38/153 (.25 miles) I decided last week that I would start tackling the The Hill right by my house. Well, last week was all well and good because we had a full moon. I got down in that area this morning and was like, "Crap! There's no light! Ah -no full moon this time." Evil grin Decided to run the other one right there that at least has one street light. The problem would be the cars flying over the top on their 100-mile an hour descent. Only a few cars went by, but I kept a sharp ear tuned to any engine sounds. I had also forgotten my reflective vest and felt quite nude and exposed without it. Yesterday morning I forgot my inhaler and had to go back for it. What gives? 40s dementia?? All in all, a good workout. Have a great day ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

THE COLDEST AIRMASS SO FAR THIS WINTER SEASON WILL SPREAD SOUTHWARD ACROSS MAINLAND SOUTH FLORIDA TONIGHT. TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL INTO THE 30S OVER MUCH OF INTERIOR SOUTH FLORIDA AND THE PALM BEACH METRO AREAS. WHEN COUPLED WITH NORTHERLY WINDS IN THE 10 TO 15 MPH RANGE... THESE TEMPERATURES WILL RESULT IN WIND CHILL VALUES BETWEEN 25 AND 35 DEGREES FOR SEVERAL CONSECUTIVE HOURS OVER MOST OF MAINLAND SOUTH FLORIDA FROM LATE THIS EVENING UNTIL A FEW HOURS AFTER SUNRISE TOMORROW. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WIND CHILL ADVISORY MEANS THAT VERY COLD AIR AND STRONG WINDS WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE LOW WIND CHILLS. THIS WILL RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO HYPOTHERMIA IF PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST VENTURE OUTDOORS... MAKE SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

The streets were a patchwork of snow, bare asphalt, and sheer ice this morning. I picked my way very carefully and slowly for 9 stinkin' miles, mindful of the danger of another spill. I didn't like the idea of going down a mile from home in 10 degree temps at 4:30 am. Hopefully we'll get some melting (and evaporation) today. I am distracted and very moved by the inauguration coverage. Facebook had over a million status updates accompanying the CNN coverage, peaking at 8500/second. They couldn't quite keep up, of course, but it was pretty cool nevertheless. In the end, the video was too choppy and I had to race out to the lobby here at work to watch the oath and speech on TV.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

evanflein

Oh Byll, that's funny... We'd be out without coats! Big grin Tammy, that's so not funny. I'm surprised to hear that sort of reaction... guess I'm pretty naive in a lot of respects. Nono, sounds like a fun time with Renee. I'm envious of how much play some people's dogs have... Mine seems so old before her time. Slo Hand, I agree with you on the running in the snow stuff. I just hate it. Don't know how Perchcreek can crank out those miles with snow... must be pretty solid footing underneath? I find the hardest thing about winter running is NOT the cold, or even the dark... but finding good footing without feeling like I need snowshoes. The snowmachines have torn up the trails around here so badly, running on them is just asking for a sprained ankle or shin splints! So, I hit the 'mill. As I will today at lunchtime.
                            Jlynne

Breger - you're kidding, right?! It got up to 20F here today and I saw people walking outside in short-sleeved shirts! It's funny how your standards are lowered when it comes to what you consider cold - especially after the winter we've been having. Nono - the police didn't make you take a breatholizer test or anything, did they?Big grin
                                evanflein I have been meaning to ask after you wrap up a moose how do you ship it to CT? Big grin (RAers: You have to go back a few days to get this one.) biketm sorry to lose your daily wit around here and like everybody else hope you return to running and RA soon. breger1 I still hate you for your weather reports! Angry One modestly cool day does not make up for all the others! Cool My first Cipro free day in a week! Off I went for a 14 mile run 17 hours after the last pill. But who is counting? Big grin Not the best run of my life by far. I am still having problems. But this was waaaaaay better than any of the Cipro impaired runs the prior week! If my back (?) would just clear up all would be good in my world again. Sigh . . . On a non-running note, I totally lost it today with somebody in the business office. My assistant has been run in circles trying to get expense reports approved for nearly three months now. I saw the last quibble and just blew a gasket. Here is the fast version. I went to a conference that ran Sunday through Wednesday. I arrived the night before and rented a car. Part of why I went to this conference is that I run an organization (associated with my employment) that, for now purley historical reasons, holds its annual business meetings at this conference. Our activities started on Monday and ended on Thursday. I left on Friday and returned the car. They bounced the car rental over two matters. One they were right about and we pulled it. (I made the mistake of trying to save my employer some money. Instead of renting from a full priced company I used a low cost one. They, unlike the full price rental companies, charge a daily fee for an extra driver. I forgot to pull that fee from the rental. The business office is right I should not have included it. Next time it will not be a problem.) The other issue was that they complained that I should only bill for the days of the conference. My assistant wrote back that we only billed for the conference and days associated with the other organization. They bounced it for this yet again. So I wrote back with a timeline and what happened each day and told them to tell me what days they would approve and we would just submit that! I am so fed up with this. It is taking far too much time and over what? Less money than the cost of the of the time the several people being run in circles is spending! What is with bureaucracies? They spend many, many dollars to save a few pennies! Ok, rant done. Ugggghhhh! No, no really done now. Really no more . . . .

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/