Masters Running

The Friday Daily, 3.6.15 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I hope your oral surgery goes well today, Holly.

Mike I hope you can find some permanent relief from the Achilies pain.

"Alaska!" Why didn't you say so? 

Our cat runs and hides when she sees me coming with her carry box. So it's a game to try to hide it from her till I can scoop her up and close her in. She complains all the way to the vet. But I let her out so she can roam around the car on the way back, and she's good with that.

I'll have to see if I can make it down to Boston for Robin's pre-marathon par-tay. I'm volunteering at the race again this year (I think it's # 10). I'll likely be at one of the corals again, but haven't gotten my assignment yet.

Robin was right, and I had a much better workout today after yesterday's paper bag effort. 5.4 RW miles under a bright fool moon, and in 11F temps. I worked pretty hard, mostly to generate enough body heat to stay comfortable. It felt good, and my pacing was decent. It was such a delight to end my workout in a modicum of daylight. I'm going to be very unhappy when I get shoved back into darkness, like toes going into a sock, with the time change on Saturday night.

Keep smiling; have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I was torn between dailies to post on.  Then I remembered--I wimped out and didn't run (again) this morning.  carry on.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I`ll asker if you won`t

good luck holly.

I`m think I`m gunna take the train from Osaka on Saturday to Kyoto where the Marathon Monks have their temple on the top of nearby Mt. Heian.  However, in the meantime, instead taking trains to the stairway challenges of Fushima Inari Shrine (1,200) and Konpira (1,368), I looked at the broad 48 stair promonade leading up to Osaka Station,  and the adjacent escalators most people were using, thought a bit and found out I can walk up and take the escalator down 150 times in a little over three hours for 7,200 stairs without spending a cent, or yen.    .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Little bit of a heatwave this morning.  It was 3° above zero for a change.

It's finally light in the morning, so I guess that is a sure sign that we need to play with our clocks and move them ahead an hour.  How long are we going to keep this stupid tradition????  Pick a time, any time, and lets stick to it.  My preference is to just stick to daylight savings time and never "fall back".  I am going to move to Arizona or Hawaii someday just so I don't have to deal with national clock-playing day.

Speaking of oral surgery, Marathon Man is one of my favorite movies.

I am going to run a couple miles after my 9:30 meeting.  Just get a little loose before a 5k tomorrow.  It should be in the double digits by the time I get out for a run today.

TammyinGP

speaking of heat waves . . . 70 here today. but now they are saying we'll cool off to mid 60's this weekend instead of the low 70's they've been bragging about all week. . . so typical - get our hopes up.

hill repeats last night. well sort of hill repeats. 30-60-90's. another fun way to break-up a workout.

rest day today and a 5K tomorrow.

Tammy

Dave59

I got all bundled up.  Had my first top layer on and tucked into the running pants.  I tied the pants just right.  Not too loose, not too tight.  Then got on my 2nd and 3rd top layers and headed for the front door when I had the urge to go (restroom if you get my drift.)  I hate when that happens.

Eventually I ran 3 pretty good miles.

I know what you mean, Dave.  We work with a lot of folks in Europe and are constantly asking "Are you guys 5 hour ahead of us, or 6?".

My old cat's not been quite as bad as many of yours getting him all boxed up to go to the vet's, but on the trip there you'd think I spent the whole drive poking him with a fork from the noise he makes.  And getting him out of the box when there is fun.  The first time the vet just picked up the carrier with the door open and held it door down until he eventually lost his grip and fell out.

Been slacking off on posting, but not running.  Got in a 6 mile stumble in the snow and dark off-road on Wednesday and 4 miles of intervals on the TM yesterday. Gym today.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

Henrun

I got all bundled up.  Had my first top layer on and tucked into the running pants.  I tied the pants just right.  Not too loose, not too tight.  Then got on my 2nd and 3rd top layers and headed for the front door when I had the urge to go (restroom if you get my drift.)  I hate when that happens.

Eventually I ran 3 pretty good miles.

Dave, that happens to me all the time. Another reason to wish for shorts season.

Ran a cold 2 this morning

Mike E

MM #5615

Speaking of oral surgery, Marathon Man is one of my favorite movies.

In the early 70's, I read a book about a guy who was a very good distance runner but seemed to always have excuses for doing poorly in races.  He eventually qualified for the Olympics and, sure enough, fell down and was taken to the hospital...well, once he recovered, he went back to the spot where he had fallen and completed the race....even though the race had long been over.  But he had to prove he wasn't a quitter.  I think it might have even been a true story.  Anyway...when Marathon Man, the movie, came out, I thought it was a movie based on that book.  I was pretty disappointed.

Hemer - We have to dump our cats out, too.

Tet - That's a lot of freaking stairs.  But for free?  Now THAT'S a bargain!

Erika - So I hear the Iditarod is headed your way due to lack of snow.

Jay - Glad you had a good workout.

Dave - At least you weren't mid-run when the urge hit.  When I got home this morning, The Hub was outside getting his equipment ready for his day.  He looked at me and said, "At least you don't have that 'I have to poop' look on your face."

Holly - By now you're probably done with the surgery.  Enjoy the drugs!  As far as a get-together 50k for next year, it would be nice, but where, I have no idea.  For me $$ will be an issue.  If anybody else is interested in figuring out a 50k meet up, let's talk.  There's a 4 MPH Challenge about couple of hours from here that I'd like to do someday.  It sounds like a lot of fun and is sort of a replica of the Big Backyard Ultra in TN put on by the same guy who does The Barkeley Marathons.

"Marathon Man" - Not something you should watch prior to a dental appointment.

4 EZ miles this a.m., and I worked hard to keep them exactly that - EZ.  I am forcing myself to keep it at or below conversational pace, even if I have to walk, to make these true recovery runs.

I am getting more transcription from the PD's Office because of another homicide.  I am very grateful for the extra work, but the incidents from which I get it are tough. I've been considering contact the DA's Office to see if they would contract for outside transcription, but I don't know if I could actually do work for both sides if the same case was involved.  What do our other legal minds here think?

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

I did! And yes, we're getting ready for not only a very heavy (for us) snow weekend, but an influx of up to 10,000 (really??) people to see the start. I think that's ridiculous. I don't think 10,000 watch the start when it's in Anchorage! I think the local visitors' center is just over the top excited about this. And, as luck would have it, Anchorage and southcentral AK is under a winter weather warning for a LOT of snow. Kind of ironic, really.

Hope Holly came through all that ok. I put off that sort of stuff too long. I've got a broken crown that isn't really bothering me so I'm just putting off getting it fixed. Why do now what I can put off till it's a crisis?

I like it when Dave has a boring meeting.

Our cats yowl like they're being held by their tails all the way to the vet, but are quieter on the way home. Like they know they're going home. Always seems weird. Our old black cat is really very loud, the tabby is quieter but she has squeaky meow so it sounds pretty bad. We just set the carrier on the floor, open the door and they come out to look around.

So we got snow yesterday and more forecast for today, but it looks kinda nice out there. Just very snowy. I really don't like running in loose snow. Plowed or hardpack is fine, but that loose stuff, especially over ice, really sucks. We'll see how things look later this afternoon. Otherwise, it's another TM run.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I did! And yes, we're getting ready for not only a very heavy (for us) snow weekend, but an influx of up to 10,000 (really??) people to see the start. I think that's ridiculous. I don't think 10,000 watch the start when it's in Anchorage! I think the local visitors' center is just over the top excited about this. And, as luck would have it, Anchorage and southcentral AK is under a winter weather warning for a LOT of snow. Kind of ironic, really.

Wow, if that`s the Iditroad. it`s like moving the Boston Marathon

to New York, Chicago, or amy-land for the opposite reason.

However, me too on 10,000 visitors just to watch a bund of dogs bark

that you can listen to every year anyway on Alaska PR.

Erkia-land: "where men are men and women win the Idatrod"

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

How long are we going to keep this stupid tradition????  Pick a time, any time, and lets stick to it.

I agree.

So, the surgery is done.  Apparently there were some complications and so a 2-hour procedure took 4 hours.  They kept waking me up in the middle, which was weird, and at one point when he was hammering in my mouth I thought he was trying to break my jaw or something, but apparently that was hamming in some sort of nails or pegs.  Anyway, I'm home now, groggy from Percoset but not in pain.  I had made a fabulous beef vegetable soup yesterday, so I put some of that in a blender and made a bowl, which was spot-on.

As the doc was hooking up my IV I asked him, "So, have you lost many patients?"  He said, "Well, in a long career there are bound to be a couple here and there." 

No running for weeks, though, and I suspect that Pace Bunny is going to get away from me this year, but maybe I can try to make it up over the summer.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

So, the surgery is done.  Apparently there were some complications and so a 2-hour procedure took 4 hours.  They kept waking me up in the middle, which was weird, and at one point when he was hammering in my mouth I thought he was trying to break my jaw or something, but apparently that was hamming in some sort of nails or pegs.

Dang!  Sounds like Percocet is going to be your friend for a short while.  Milk this for all it's worth with your family.  You deserve it!!  My SIL spent about 2 years getting extensive dental work done.  I'll save you all the incredible details, but suffice to say I have great empathy for you, Holly.  Hope this settles once and for all whatever is going on with your mouth.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie, re: transcription jobs for defense and DA on the same case. could be problematic but really only depends on if either side thinks they would ever need to call you in as a witness. Can't see why they would call in a transcriptionist but i've seen stranger things in happen!   lol.  But you could always offer your services to DA, be upfront that you are also doing transcription for the PD's office and see if they feel it's a conflict.

I was once summoned for Grand Jury duty and as you can imagine, me working at PD's office could pose a conflict on GJ since that's clearly a State sided procedure and almost all cases that go before GJ end up being represented by a public defender.  But I still served on GJ but had to go all the way up to the Oregon State Bar Association level to make sure it was okay. DA of course, also had to approve of me being on GJ and my boss was also fine with me doing it.  I wanted to gain a different perspective on the justice system since people on the defense side never get to be a part of that procedure.  I just conflicted myself off any cases that came across my desk to write pretrial motions on since I sat in on witness testimony before the GJ.

Tammy