Masters Running

40s+ On the Run - New Year, New Start (w/e 01/03/2009) (Read 431 times)

Congrats Kelly on all those miles! Leslie, hope you find out soon what is ailing you. My "crud" started out with a horrible headache for a week or so and then turned into a sore throat and then just crappy all over. Very tired feelilng as well. I'm much better now! Regarding your partying husband Leslie.......mine is too! A little too much at times. But like you said, ain't trading him now, takes too long to break a new one in! Smile We usually don't do much for New Years Eve but we are heading out to Orlando tomorrow morning. Spending the day with my 2 sisters and their hubs and a couple of other people. Got a swank hotel dirt cheap in the downtown area a mile from the House of Blues. Hitting up a rock n' roll concert to ring in the New Year where we can drink, be merry and waddle back to the hotel. Oh yea, the most important thing. I'm going for a run tomorrow morning before we head out so keep your fingers crossed that all this time off has healed me 100% Happy New Year.......Jewels
    But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
      Fatozzig and jewels.....I'd like to meet your husbands....they sound like great guys! You know fatozzig I was thinking about the duckwalk....I think you're right about that....they must work, I don't think Chuck Berry ever had shin splints. Big grin Did 6 easy miles this afternoon. Slight discomfort for the first 3 miles or so, then it tapered off to merely a sensation. But that's what shin splints do. They "get better" as you get warmed up. But then return the next day. We'll see how they are by weeks end. Going to watch the Holiday Bowl tonite (my wife wonders if it used to be called the Christmas Bowl?) My Oklahoma State Cowboys taking on the Oregon Ducks. Should be a good game. Later, my friends. MTA....a really nice day today....65F during the run.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
      xor

Nah, it has always been the Holiday Bowl. It isn't an old-timer like the Rose Bowl or the Cotton Bowl. The Holiday Bowl has only been around since 1978.

You know fatozzig I was thinking about the duckwalk....I think you're right about that....they must work, I don't think Chuck Berry ever had shin splints. Big grin
          Veerry good! Do you work on those one liners, 'cause you got 'em down pat. Love it!
          My Oklahoma State Cowboys taking on the Oregon Ducks. Should be a good game.
          Go Ducks!!!!!!!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Hey flu-sufferers and sore (Cowboys) losers! Evil grin Leslie - hope you get your issues sorted out - what a drag Sad Good thing you have a nice schedule for the year to look forward to. Jewels - how was your "return to normal" run? Your New Year's plans sound like a blast!! Carol - don't feel bad, as long as you can fit in something...this time of year can be hell on the workouts Kelly - whoa...how do you find the time??? Maybe if I started running to work.. Confused evryday - 3 week taper was a 30-mile week (with 12 mi long run), a 20-mile week (8 mi long), then a couple of 2 mile runs during the week running up to the marathon and trying not to spend too much time on my feet the day before the race! Just got back from visiting mom in LA, we stayed in Pasadena at the Huntington (very nice!) where I was stuck doing a couple of treadmill runs, but made up for it by enjoying the nice spa facilities including a quick massage (which made me realize that I've got to start stretching/rolling my right ITB). LA is definitely having Rose Parade weather: snow on the mountains + clear air following a storm, and temps around 70. We woke up Sunday morning to see all the Penn folks staying in our hotel enjoying the pool! Shy Arla

Ex runner

Count down started for Arla. Woo hoo!!!!

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Veerry good! Do you work on those one liners, 'cause you got 'em down pat. Love it! Go Ducks!!!!!!!
                OK....yes, I work on those one liners during my 6 mile runs....For 1 hour 1 minute and 33 seconds today I thought about what I could say about those duckwalks. Big grin You wouldn't believe the stupid useless stuff I come up with during my runs. Be glad I only post a mere fraction of the carp I think up! And yes, the Ducks won in fine fashion. It was a really good game, but did not turn out as I had hoped. Arla, that sounds like a prudent taper. Let me know how you think it worked for you.....If it is successful, I'll pattern mine after yours. Obviously the mileage is down....do you do any tempo or mp miles during the taper, or is it all easy running? And yes, I might be a loser, but never a sore one! Smile
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  Well, bad news on the knee. Barely made it a mile and a half and had to limp home. One last thing I'm going to try is a quick visit to my sports med doc to see if I can get a cortizone shot and maybe buy one of those straps that go above the knee for support. If that doesn't work then I'l be a DNS (Did Not Show) for my race. Stinks but it is what it is..... Off to Orlando to ring in the New Year! Will chat with everyone in the next day or so! Jewels

flatland mountaineer

Bummer Jewels, hope its not serious. Ev I was pulling for Okie State, had their chances......Sad Leslie hope you do find out something. something good. Arla enjoy your cutbacks if thats possible.Wink Hiya to the rest of the gang. Easy 1.5 when the urge hit Shocked then a rather tempo+ 1.5 back to the restroom then did another 1 for kind of a fast 4. Never experienced that little running related oddity before, can't say I enjoyed it. Ready to put 08 in the bag.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE DAY! {{{{ Jewels!!}}}} Hope your med doc can figure out what's wrong. FJ - That did look like a strange run. I had to read your post a coupla times to figure out what you did. Wink Ev - Well, keep workin' on the one liners. Love 'em! 30 minutes of mind numbing stationary cycling, followed by 1 hr of core/strength. Did all my weight workout with free weights instead of using the Bowflex. Very different workout. Well, I don't know what the heck I did to my right ankle, but it's PO'd, especially when I first get up in the a.m. Went to get a new pair of shoes yesterday, but they didn't have what I wanted in my size. Had to order a pair, and they won't be in 'til next week. Think I'll stay off my foot until then and just do cycling and weights. Am scheduled for an abdominal CT scan on Monday at 11:30. No food or water from midnight on. Shocked I have a feeling I will be very grouchy and shaky by the time I get to eat that day. Maybe I'll just continually graze up until midnight. Wink No workout in the a.m., that's for sure. Picked up the cra stuff I have to drink the night before and an hour before the scan. Looks tasty!! Dead

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jewels.....I'm sorry about your knee. Also sorry that I don't remember when and what your race is. Is it soon? Don't be hesitant to take a DNS....heal this thing up proper and return with a vengance! Good luck what ever happens. fatozzig....OH....your getting a new pair of SHOES....now I see! Big grin Good luck with your CT scan on Monday....hope things turn out good for you. Jim....yes, the Okie Cowboys did have some chances. But we could not stop the Duck's offense. And boy did our quaterback take a pounding. It was obvious that he lost his sharpness with the beating he took. I bet he couldn't get out of bed this morning. Black eye A nice 6 miler for me this afternoon. 3 miles easy then 3 at tempo 9:13 pace. Happy New Year!

jfa

Hi Folks and Happy New Year to All! Turning into old fogies and just stayed home last night. That and the fact that it was only 18* with 20-30mph winds didn't have us thinking we're going to light up the town! Buddy and I did bundle up for a 7 miler in the evening though.Brought me over the 200 mile mark for the month and just a smidgen short of 2100m for 2008! A very good running year for me! Good rest for who's ailing and good runs to those who dare these temps! Have a good day and a Fantastic 2009!!!! Smile ps-have you guys seen the new log? Eric is the best!

flatland mountaineer

Working up to doing my little weight routine, I need to after going out to supper last nite. We went out with friends last nite and I had a couple glasses of wine and a melt in your mouth cut of Prime Rib, it was incredibly good. Anyway picked up our child dog from my dads. Dad @ 88 stayed up to ring in the new year while us party pooper young uns were in bed by 11 but he didn't have the day we did.Wink Reflecting on our running year we are pretty happy with it. Lynda and I both had several pr's, mine of which I thought were beyond my genetic limits. My progress is slow but I have progressed none the less and achieved all my goals set last winter. I will have to think on it and come up with some new ones for 2009. Nice Tempo Ev! Incredible yearly miles Joe! Happy New Year and Go HUSKERS!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Afternoon everyone...... Congrats on everyone's mileage for '08! We have all come along way! Good luck with the CT scan Leslie.......good idea to stay off the ankle! C'mon Joe...18* with 30 mph winds, such a wimp! Big grin Nice "fast" 4 miles you had there Jim! My 82 yr. old day stayed up past midnight as well! Carol, hope your feeling well and getting in some runs/workouts! Evryday, nice 6 miler for you at a nice quick pace! How's the shin splints? My race is Feb. 8th or maybe I should say "was". Undecided Got back to the hotel at 2 a.m.....can't even begin to explain how much fun we had. Best seats in the house. We are all friends with the lead singer so backstage passes. Great time......up at 7 a.m......just couldn't sleep especially with Kenny snoring for 5 hours straight. We were within a few miles of where Arla's race is going to be! Later everyone and Happy New Year! Jewels
                                HAPPY NEW YEAR, RUNNING BUDS! Ev - Nice tempo run! And yes, I'm getting new shoes. Wink And the Hub told me to get two pair so I can rotate them. Anybody else rotate a couple of pairs at a time? Joe - Congrats on the yearly mileage total. I am still amazed at what you have accomplished in such a short period of time. Yep, the new log is cool. I need to play around with it some more and get a donation sent to Eric. He truly does an amazing job with this site. FJ - Re your dad - sounds like you come from good stock! Can't think of the last time we celebrated the new year, although I usually stay up 'til midnight. I was in the mood to do something last night, but the Hub wasn't since he "celebrated" the night before with his friends. Ended up going out for an early dinner at a Mexican restaurant we rarely go to, but I'm definitely going back. Ate her chili verde. YUM! It was fabulous! Came home and watched football for awhile, then watched an hour of a George Carlin special in HBO. After an hour, I'd had it with the foul language, and we went to bed. I think I was asleep by 10:15. Woo hoo! Roll eyes Ankle is feeling better, so might try an easy run tomorrow in my trail shoes. My buddy, Karen, got the Garmin 305 from her sister for Christmas. Said it tracked all her miles in the trees on the trails the other day. No more mapping out the mileage for her. Unfortunately, when I was in the market for a HR monitor, the 305 was over $200 so I got the 301,which was around $100, but ends up it doesn't track in the trees at all. Now, because they've come out with the 405, the 305 can be found for less than $150. Hmmmmmmm . . . I may need to break open my piggy bank . . .

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance