Masters Running

40s+ On the Run - New Year, New Start (w/e 01/03/2009) (Read 431 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

Happy 2009 everyone! Guess we all made it through the year more or less intact. Jewels - hope your knee problem turns out to be no big deal. It would be a bummer to miss your HM but better to take care of the ol' bod. Ev - your tempo pace is smokin'! Way to go! Do you think my taper is too conservative? I don't do any speed work (well, sometimes by accident...), I'm saving that for this coming year. Jim - YUM! Prime rib! I'm jealous! Did they also have Yorkshire pudding? I'm a sucker for that stuff. And congrats on a good year of running for both of you. Joe - Congrats on a healthy 2100! What's in store for this year? Another marathon? Perhaps an ultra? Leslie - get the 305, you'll love it...I've had it for over a year and it's only messed up a couple times (once it counted mileage backwards, and one time it racked up too many miles!). You can also upload your runs straight from the Garmin to mapmyrun.com, which is kinda neat. Well, tapering really sucks when it comes with the New Year! I'm going to fall behind the darn pace bunny right off the bat! Angry Arla

Ex runner

Ev - Do you think my taper is too conservative? I don't do any speed work (well, sometimes by accident...), I'm saving that for this coming year. Arla
      Too conservative....no, not at all. It seems perfect. I'm all about conservative. Get this first one under your belt, then if you want, ratchet it up for the next one....or not. Speed is highly overrated.
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Get this first one under your belt, then if you want, ratchet it up for the next one....or not. Speed is highly overrated.
        What Ev said Arla, just go to finish without knocking yourself out. Just think, you're guaranteed a PB! Like my friend says,the first 20 miles is the first half of the marathon ,the last 6 miles is the second half! I'm sure you'll do great! BTW- My 2009 goal is going to be all about improving form and becoming a more efficient runner.Distance goals will follow from there. Smile 8 miles in the woods today. 25* / 15 mph winds. Just a coating of snow and a cerulean blue sky. (see if that gets Cindy to talk)

Go HUSKERS!
          Congratulations Jim on a fine Husker win! Good game.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            Morning Friends - Wide awake at 3:45 this morning. Ugh! Dead The wind was blowing like crazy and knocked over the ladder we had leaning up against the side of the house. Scared the holy crappola out of us, and the Hub was up with weapon in hand in no time flat. Shocked And then I couldn't go back to sleep. Since I don't have to work today, am waiting for the sun to rise before I do my workout. The front of my ankle is still stiff and sore, so am resigning myself to yet another 30 min of stationary bike instead of my 3 mile run, plus strength training. Watched a show on HBOZN called "Breaking," which is sort of a documentary about the integration of African-Americans in college football. Well worth watching if you get that channel.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Easy 5 this morning, no "racing" Wink to the bathroom today. Smile I was shooting for 4 miles but we have gorgeous 40 degree on its way to 60 degree weather with no wind this morning but tommorow looks like snow, wind, and rapidly falling temps so tacked on another mile. I Did get one small thrill as Reba the neighbors German Shorthair Pointer cam running up behind me, she is very friendly but gave me a start. She stayed with me for a mile hunting up the ditches and adjoining fields. Thanks Ev, the Huskers overcame some mistakes and turnovers to win. Sure can't fault their effort and enthusiasm this year. I think Husker football is back. Pelini has embraced the whole Husker football culture that Callahan snubbed. Pretty easy day on the farm today, lots I could do but nothing I have to do. Pick up a few pieces from wednesday maybe, and maybe some home improvement projects?Confused

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Did my 30 min on the stationary bike and only did 35 min of core/strength. Can't do anything that requires pushing off with the right foot or has it bending extensively. Don't know if the pedaling is irritating it, but it doesn't hurt while I'm doing it. The tree's completely down, and now I get to start putting everything away. Happy, happy, joy, joy!! Tongue

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - sounds like it might be Vit. I time Sad Hope you can get off that ol' boring bike and back on the road! Jim - nice to hear that you're getting a bit of a break in the action...enjoy that nice weather while it lasts, it's raining here right now so I guess it's headed your way next... I'm helping a 7th-grader do her science project over the break, it's a ton of fun, I've always snatched up these opportunities to get involved with the science fairs. Her mom is a nurse practitioner but retired-for-now-to-raise-kids, obviously with a strong biology background and a keen interest in keeping up with science, so I sort of have two students right now, which is even more fun. I haven't had advanced students in several years, it's nice to talk about something other than the very basics. Smile Otherwise, too much sitting around...maybe do a little gentle yoga today so I don't feel like such a slug... Arla

Ex runner

The front of my ankle is still stiff and sore,
                    I thought you got new ankles at the running store the othr day? Wink Arla, nice to share yourself with the students. 6 easy miles for me today. 10:30 pace. I could hear the shin talking to me, but it was talking oh so quietly. Smile Yes, Jim....the weather's been nice down here too. Sunday is expected to get cold again. Later, my friends.
                      I thought you got new ankles at the running store the othr day? Wink
                      They were out, but I ordered two pair. Wink It's a combo of the front and the Achilles. I think I need to just suck it up and not to anything - no biking, nothing - for a couple of days, and stay off it as much as possible. Great excuse to not do any housework!! Big grin Arla - Have fun with the 7th grader and her mom. That's cool that you're helping her. What are you guys doing? Jewels - Did you go to the doctor for your knee?

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - time for a massage Wink The science project is simply collecting microbial samples from various places: teacher's handbags, restroom handles, stuff like that, and then looking at the abundance and diversity of colonies. It's a good project for a 7th grader, although the statistical analysis mostly escapes her (I'm just leaving it at "here's the tool you need"). She's had a chance to learn about important concepts like variance, sample sizes and controls. Smile I am hating taper, I feel really stiff and creaky. Did some yoga last night, which helped temporarily. Maybe go for a couple mile walk or bike ride today so I don't get sucked into the couch. Arla

Ex runner

Hey Arla, don't give up on that taper. You've come to far to not trust the training! Jewels, I understand the disappointment, but your body is screaming so loudly you don't have a choice. Leslie, hoping all of your parts get some relief. Sorry, not much time for shout outs...just a quick drive by here (remember the "drive by fruiting" in Mrs. Doubtfire?) Trying to get back into some semblance of a groove...just going to keep it simple and cover 3 miles per day doing something. Some days w/ dog, some without. So far so good. Gave notice this week that I'm closing the pet sitting biz, and turns out one of my clients/neighbors may want to buy it. They just left and seem pretty excited. Just can't do the Mtnchk schedule...something had to give. BTW, how are you Cindy? OK, off to work I go...again. Take care and good runs rests and maddening tapers to all.
                          Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Sucky 2 that was supposed to be 8. I just felt weak and could not warm up or regulate temperature, it was cold but not that cold. I am going to blame it on too much caffiene pre run, hope I am not getting Lynda's crud. May try again later or not....... Arla cool that you helped on that science fair project. I was always into stuff like that. Hang in there on the taper. It won't be long now. You'll do great.Smile Carol hoping your new schedule is more workable. Bet your pet sit clients will miss you, animal and human but maybe you'll get some me time now. Ev hope the shins are doing better.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey, we're gettin' our moneys worth outta this thread!! It's the 4th and it's still going! Jim, the shins are no worse, maybe a tad better. I think scrapping two runs last week helped out. Thanks for asking. We partied down last night at my place. Myself, Mrsday, evryothrday, his gf maybesomeday, a coworker and a random friend got together for some grilled burgers and fixin's. We played some music, tried to write some songs, watched some game on TV involving an oblong ball, and in general just had a good time. 15 miles for me this afternoon @ 10:55 pace. Later......