Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily, 10.7.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Twocat, I'm also one of those who would be flattered to be accused of being in the 60-64 AG. Don't let it bother you because it is all relative. Come to think of it, sometimes it is the relatives you should worry about! I digress - great racing! Good luck in Savannah to you and DW too.

Congrats also to Enke, Tet, Marj's DD and Carolyn's DD for some excellent racing over the weekend! Sounds like Carolyn's DD will be hanging up her running shoes for a while. But at least she gave it a try before deciding it isn't for her.

As best I can tell from my Athlinks race records (I'm not very good at recording/tracking my race performances), Sunday's 10K was a racewalking PR for me. I'm amazed that I can set a PR at any distance anymore, especially being even older that Twocat!

We had a meeting last evening to review the parameters/language of a zoning ordinance amendment we will be proposing. I woke up at 2:30 and thought of another change we have to make so the amendment will work as proposed. I did get back to sleep, and I even remembered the change when I woke at 4. Heck of a way to spend a night... 5.7 RW miles in 57F temps (16 degrees warmer than yesterday morning). Unfortunately the clouds all but obscured the moon. The streets were damp with morning dew, and because it was that humid ahead of the day's advancing rains, and the wind off the water was of flag-straightening strength. It was an interesting morning to be touring the neighborhood.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Morning Jay and all to follow.

Some great racing and running this weekend. Well done masters.

Very busy here so only time to speed read. Fall is a mess with XC, soccer and work travel. Seems like life is on after burners.

DW celebrated her birthday yesterday and being the romantic that I am I gave her a new dishwasher and some camping gear. Actually the camping gear is hers as she and her horse group camp almost every weekend. Now if it were running shoes, power tools or golf clubs, I could be guilty of pre-gifting. She's been cancer free now for two years and each birthday is very special to us. Enjoy each moment. I need to remind myself of that more often when things get hectic.

No run yet but it's not lunch time.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Cancer free for 2 years! Great news C-R!

Sayhey! MM#130

Cancer free for 2 years! Great news C-R!

Cheers to that and C-R's DW, along with a resounding Happy Birthday!!

Jay, I'm not surprised that was a PR--that was swift!!  Now we just have to get you dreaming about your racewalking and not the meetings, ok?

Liked your post, Mari; it feels as if you are seeing the same sunrise I saw earlier.

Oh, and twocat, no no no.."it's all relative" isn't getting you off my hook!

Holly, how far are you from Cleveland?

Starr, what musical?  I want to get tickets for "Book of Mormon," coming here in January, but they are spendy little buggers.

Just about every runner in SW FL was posting on FB about how marvelous their Sunday runs were in the cooler temps.  It's a wonderment we didn't cause a mini-earthquake; with the combo of the weather and fall marathons, there were a LOT of 20 milers being pounded out on the roads and trails!

The tapering thing is difficult.  Now I'm gaining weight.  Sheesh, I hope this works ("works" in the sense that I don't implode Saturday.  Seriously worried here.)  So same route as yesterday but faster, which is the plan, right?  6.4  at an 8:42 pace--first one slow and so mostly an 8:30 pace.  I'd be really happy with an 8:45 pace Saturday, but don't think that's in the cards since we're in the 80s at the start.

OK, stop it, Amy.  Enjoy our Tuesdays, why don't we?

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Great to hear the Cancer-Free news C-R!

And Aamos, thank you.  The dinner was good.  Smoked baby back ribs, grilled sweet potatoes, broccoli, and a tomato, basil, cucumber and green bean salad.

A friend of mine on FB suggested I run a route at the end of the Park where they are building new sidewalks, so the Saint and I decided to explore it today, got sidetracked on a long muddy area and had a lot of laughs. I hate trail running!   So 4.1 muddy, slow miles and a new route I'll never run again.

New phenomenon for me in logging my runs.  It used to be that if I did a key workout (LR, tempo, race, intervals) that the next day was recovery of 2-4 slow miles, then the day after that I was back to easy runs.  But often now after a key workout, such as Sunday's 12-miler, the next two days are actually recovery and that's how I'm logging today's effort.

Now here's a fun story from the Rib Cage.  Hudson's assignment in Spanish was to translate some literary piece into Spanish, then make a video of himself reciting it.  So he translated a section from Dante's Inferno, dressed up like "the most interesting man in the world," complete with pipe and brandy snifter, and did a nice rendition for us, which we filmed.  Loved it!  And he got a great grade on it too.  Spareribs

Thanks for getting us started, Jay.  It was very damp here this a.m., as well, with the fog reflecting off my headlamp.  Come to think of it, it might've helped if I'd had it on low beam.

Aamos - Are you running a marathon this weekend?  So what you're doing is a taper???

Ribs' dinner and Hudson's homework assignment both sounded wonderful ~

C-R - Two years cancer free!  Woot woot!!

2 very slow miles this morning in the aforementioned foggy conditions.  I am quite enjoying this taper thing.

I have been inundated with extra transcription, which everyone wants "now," plus I need to get The Hub's invoices done before we leave and I need to get my running stuff together.  I decided last night that, unfortunately, the attorney I work for on not even a semi-regular basis anymore - the complaint he gave me yesterday to transcribe to start working on is going on the back burner until I get home next week.  He's not gonna be too happy about it, but I can only do work for one person at a time, and now is not his time.  I feel guilty and good about that decision all at once.

Speaking of work - I better get to it.  Later ~

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy rest of the day to all.

5 and a bit this morning.  Managed to get last miles faster (this is all relative, you realize) than the first, so still happy with that.  I'll be out at the proper time tomorrow to see the lunar eclipse, but according to weather reports, there may be some difficulty in seeing it.

Big grins to your DW and the rest of the family, C-R. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Leslie, a tip for the self-employed:  No matter what you say to that attorney, and best is simply to say you are swamped with work right now but you'll make every effort to get to it quickly, but never say, "You're not my only client."  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Congrats on the PR!

C-R - Cancer-Free for 2 years is excellent!

Aamos - I live almost 4 hours southwest of Cleveland.  BTW, regarding a next year race, I already have OH, TN, KY, MA, WA, AK, VT, UT, so virtually any state besides those would be new.  Preferably near a big enough airport that flying costs would be reasonable.

Ribs - I remember when my DS was given a topic and he and two friends did a related  skit in Spanish and filmed it.  Great stuff.

Leslie - what Ribs said.  I deal with crisis cases all the time, and everyone thinks I need to drop everything and deal with their problem this very minute.  I can't tell you how many times I have wanted to say, "There is a  long line in front of you."  However, like Ribs said, it is not a good idea to say this out loud.   

5 easy-paced miles on the TM this morning.  My knee didn't hurt then but is creaky now.  Once again, that runner's dilemma - to run through it or rest a bit longer....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Holly and Ribs - Thanks for input.  Because I've been working for him for so long, I always try to put Larry's stuff at the front of the stack.  He also knew I was leaving this week as I'd given him plenty of warning.  Unfortunately for Larry (or I guess for me!), he's basically retired so there are other things that call his attention - like fishing and hunting and travel and his grandkids and . . . .  (Not sure why those would be priorities. )

I do my best to keep Larry happy not only because I've been working for him for so long, but he shares some of his fresh fish and crab catches with me ever year.  I have my priorities, you know . . . .

Now to call back one of my other side jobs who left a voice mail, I'm sure wondering when they're transcription is going to be done.  It's over an hour of a 911 dispatch recording.  Ugh!

PS Holly - Since you have nothing pending, rest the knee.  You and it deserve it.

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

wild, great 5K for your daughter.  BTY, I hope the sprained back is nothing serious and you recover from it quickly.  deez, you've had a few long, tough, days at work.  C-R, happy birthday to your wife and that's good news about being cancer free for two years.  Nice long run for deez.

This morning, it was in the low 40s and there was a little wind.  I got in 5 Miles at an 11:03 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

4 miles in the warm Tallahassee sunshine this morning.

Now I am trying to get signed off work but people keep pinging me with instant messages. Whoever invented IM should be drawn and quartered. Whoever added voice and video to IM should be placed in a Russian spaceship and sent far, far away.

Starr, what musical?  I want to get tickets for "Book of Mormon," coming here in January, but they are spendy little buggers.

It is called Nice Work if you can get it, a 1920's era feel- good musical, complete with extravagant dance numbers, glittering costumes and a love story. Glorious Gershwin songs.  I got season tickets this year, yup they are spendy but I got 1 show free doing it that way.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Sayhey! MM#130

Aamos - I live almost 4 hours southwest of Cleveland.  BTW, regarding a next year race, I already have OH, TN, KY, MA, WA, AK, VT, UT, so virtually any state besides those would be new.  Preferably near a big enough airport that flying costs would be reasonable.

San Francisco, end of July??? Great city for celebrations, and you'd "own" the Golden Gate  ever after.  Every time you see it, you can say "I ran that!."

Foot Traffic Flat, July 4, Oregon??

Florida, anytime all winter or next winter (end of 2015), for longer planning?  Jacksonville, e.g., is Dec. 28 this year.  Clearwater, Jan. 18, Melbourne (near Cocoa Beach) Feb. 1,  Ft. Lauderdate, Feb. 15 (I am doing these).  I just amn't wild about Disney.  Very spendy, for onc.

Dallas White Rock, in Dec (and Ribs!!)???

Grandmas in June?  Kids should be out of school....relatively central.  There's an airport there, or what I did was fly into the Cities and drive to Duluth--easy drive, less than 3 hours, if we had a bunch of folks, we could split it...

Detroit next October?  or the Martian (love it!!) in spring??

Lincoln Nebraska is a well-organized race, in the spring.

Casper Wyoming, in June?  That's a nice run.  You'd see antelopes, for sure.

Quad Cities was a lot of fun and you can use that for a couple states, I think.

Where do you fancy, m'lady??

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

I think Aamos needs to give more options.  Those provided seem pretty puny . . . .

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance