Masters Running

Thursday - July 3rd Daily dating/running (Read 508 times)

Mariposai

I did something new that I thought I never could do...I ran 3 times in the last 24 hours in preparation for the upcoming Northwest Passage Ragnar Relay. I ran 8 miles yesterday morning (5@ tempo); I ran 5 easy miles with two gentle hills last night and 6 miles with some significant rolling hills this morning. I was so amazed how low the HR stayed and how well the body handled the different runs. Total miles 19 miles in 24 hours. I feel good. Butterfly hugs to Holly. My prayers and thoughts are with you sistahh. Off to an early meeting. I have to convince the docs at our clinic why is so important to have their involvement in my community wellness projects Cool

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Just on this Garmin issue, it seems to me at least that every serious runner should have two timepieces. One is a Garmin for your everyday runs where miles are not marked or for strange locations such as when you travel. And that's it. Then you need a sports chronometer, such as the Timex Ironman series of watches that has a lap counter feature. This you use at the track and in certified races. A Garmin is useless in a race and on the track, and before everyone starts in on me all over again, forget it, you are wrong. Dicky, I got so disgusted I shut the game off at 11-7 and even I was surprised at the final score, still as Meatloaf said, "2 out of 3 ain't bad..." I sure hope you run okay at the Peachtree and not aggravate anything. As to my run today, I am just so puzzled. I had a 35 mile week last week and a 40 mile week before that and I was really feeling fine. So whatever has come over me has done so pretty suddenly. Today I slow jogged about 3/4 of a mile, walked a couple of hundred yards, jogged a quarter, walked about 100 yards and then jogged some. Then I bumped into this woman I know very well who is a nurse and who knows what's going on with me. She more of less got me to stop and go home, and suggests that if I want to work out I should just walk, so I think that's what I will do. I keep going out there testing to see if anything has changed I guess, but it hasn't. Spareribs
        Didn't get to post yesterdays run so here it is: 6.16 miles failry easy with strides thrown in the last mile - 53:10 - (8:37) Avg HR 124 - Max HR 142 I took the day off today to get things done around the yard etc. before the holiday - 4.01 miles fairly easy again with strides thrown in each mile and a comfortably hard finish to get those fast twitch muscles ready for tomorrows 10K - 34:37 - (8:37) Avg HR 124 - Max HR 144 - (8:56 - 8:50 - 8:42 - 8:00 - :07) Tomorrows 10K goal - a course PR (42:44) - and who knows maybe a 10K PR (41:03) a tall order on this course, but wwe'll see what I've got come tormorrow. I'm hoping for clouds and cool temps with lower humidity.
          Spareribs, so sorry that your run didn't work out this morning. What were your symptoms? The same ones that were troubling you last week? When is your next doctor's appt?
          wildchild

Carolyn

Vista, you had me going for a while, till I got to the punchline and realized I've heard that joke before! Big grin I took the dogs out for our usual 3-mile loop around the neighborhood after work. I ran into one of the neighborhood kids (home from college) out walking their dog, right at the steep part where I usually walk, so I walked with her and asked how school was going. Well, she talked my ear off! When we got to where our paths parted, she kept talking for another 10 minutes before I could get away! DD is at a band camp at the University of Northern Colorado in Greeley. They're performing a concert tonight and marching in the big 4th of July parade tomorrow morning. DH and I are driving up tonight for the concert and staying overnight at a local hotel, as it's two hours from home. The Greeley Stampede Parade is a huge event, including the governor and senators parading on horseback, and thousands of people come to watch. This is DD's second year of band camp, and it's fun, although usually blazing hot in Greeley. Of course that means no 4th of July races for me, but that's OK There's a 5 mile race on the 5th I might run, in Winter Park. Have a great holiday, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Vista, you had me going for a while, till I got to the punchline and realized I've heard that joke before! Big grin
              Geez...I'm gullible Embarrassed I thought it was a true story.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

4 easy miles for me last night. Funny as I run sometimes, a bird will be on the sidewalk ahead of me. Usually they will just hop into the grass to be out of my way. Last night a robin was in my path and rather than hop into the grass, it kept hopping ahead of me. I don't want to say I'm slow, but I barely gained any ground on a hopping robin!!! In the end, we continued this way for nearly a half block before we came to a cross sidewalk and he took a right and I went straight. I almost had him though...one more block and I'm sure I would've overtaken him...sigh. Later...Janet

Top 'O the World!

LOL Janet! I resemble that! Except my "pace critter" is usually a walking bunny!
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                    Handymom - I've had that happen too! Sometimes with leaves blowing down the street, can't catch them! Vista, Tramps Big grin Thunderstorms started last night just as I was about to go out for my run. So I went to the gym. 3 miles easy with 4 striders thrown in. Getting antsy about tomorrow's 5K. I really wanted to run faster last night on the TM, so I think I'm ready. I read last night that athletes almost never give 100%, are always holding something back. Let's see if I can go for broke. It will be 60F, breezy and a bit rainy. My favourite running conditions, seriously!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Well......actually the story IS true (in part). Here is a picture of Aunt Hazel......sitting as I said, always sideways and in the back. The others in the picture are: my mother.....me in the middle and my brother (the one who is sick) on the right. This was taken at our home in North Bucksport, Maine. Aunt Hazel was NOT married four times........instead it actually was FIVE times. She was married to a banker.....a minister......an undertaker....a photographer.....and I don't know what the fifth one was other than "on the list of husbands". To fit the jingle....I had to make that one a pianist and it works. They also were not in that order. The phrase "one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and four to go" has various origins. There was a nursery rhyme that used some of these words and also the song..."Blue Suede Shoes" has the words: Well it's one for the money, two for the show Three to get ready now go cat go But don't you, step on my blue suede shoes You can do anything but lay off of my blue suede shoes Anyway, it is close enough to the truth that I can use it as family folk lore.
                      Vista
                      Dave59

Just on this Garmin issue, it seems to me at least that every serious runner should have two timepieces. One is a Garmin
                        Boy, you are almost throwing down the challenge to prove someone can be a serious runner without high tech gadgets! Big grin I wish I wasn't such a goof off or I would sure show you. Wink

Renee the dog

Dave59, LOL! When I read that, I thought, "But SR isn't factoring the seriously cheap gene I carry!" No run yet today. All sorts of dehydrated after Manhattan drinking (1 large) last night. Need a whole lot more water before I feel OK to go out there -- need to be able to sweat! Holly - good luck and I hope you get this trouble pinpointed. <crossing fingers=""></crossing>

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

To those that are complaining about those few extra pounds, here is a new diet program that will help those pounds fall right off....the first item is extremely low cal and filling Shocked When looking, be sure to check out the 3 pages, not just the first. http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22177/48751-ten-foods-you-ll-find--eat-

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

OMG, Tim, all those deep fried food descriptions were making my arteries hurt! Dave and Nono, I don't own a Garmin either. But I don't consider myself a "serious runner" either. I smile a lot when I run. Cool

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Vista... Roll eyes Tramps... Big grin SR...there you go again! Wink Those "serious runner" comments always hang on for awhile... Tim, the "grass is greener" concept frequently works with single vs married status. While it's nice to have the freedom to do what you want, when you want, etc, it's also true that the companionship of marriage is a very good thing. The trick is making sure you have that companionship with the right person. Mismatches can be nothing but misery. Mariposai, very nice training for your relay! You are going to have so much fun. I can't wait to hear about it... Holly, here's more vibes for finding the cause. It does drive me crazy when they start in on treatment before there's a diagnosis. Is your new doc a runner or skier? I find that changes their outlook entirely. I actually have today off. I've been looking forward to this 4-day weekend for ages. My garden is in desperate need of attention, my house is a mess, I wanted to get some trail runs in... and I'm SICK. I can't believe it. I woke up at 5:45 with sore throat, ear ache, congestion, and a rattly cough that hurts my chest. I feel awful. I'm so mad!!! It does explain why my run home after work yesterday felt so hard. I had to take lots of walk breaks and my HR felt way too high. It wasn't that hot (74) but I felt wiped out. So... now I know why. I might switch my Friday rest day with today to see how that goes. But I really wanted to do a nice tail run today because the weather is absolutely PERFECT. Figures, no?