Masters Running

Tuesday, 9.29.15 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just a quick walk-by this morning because I have a busy week today (or, that is what it feels like...). I went for a massage last night, and really got worked over - I needed it. Based on what I told her about my recent workouts, and what she felt, the massage therapist suspects I might have a minor tear/pull of my left hamstring. I went out this morning and tried to do a bit of racewalking, but there was a painful pull at the top of my hamstring with each stride. So I shut it down after about a quarter mile, and continued on for a leisurely stroll of the neighborhood. I guess I need to back way off for at least a few days, and then check it again. So it goes...

Have a greta and productive Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mornin' back, Jay.  Nothing wrong with a leisurely stroll.  Or three.  Heal up.

Speaking of leisurely, Erika's plan for a week of aimless wandering sounds like a great idea.

Summer seems to have come back.  66°F and about 98% humidity in advance of what looks to be a LOT of rain for the next few days.  After two wonderful days in the 40's, I wish I just had that extra 2% and it just rained.  Would have been just about the same effect and maybe a little cooler.

oh yeah, that was for 3.8 miles

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin!

And so aren't the boys of summer enjoying a last gasp!

Beautiful sunrise this am, then the clouds rolled in and by the time I finished my 8 miles, it was in a rollicking rain.  Very dark out now; hoping it will clear as we're having a bridge night with Speedsters and the sunsets are almost as wonderful as the sunrises Sunday mornings.  On the plus side, the forecast is only mid to upper 80s for a high.

Is it too early in autumn to suggest a Florida run this winter?  Steve's swinging by in February  (but not Tag).  I'm going to check out what looks like a pretty run late March in Tomoka: http://www.tomokamarathon.com/       It's on the other coast, at Ormond Beach.

So some of you were advising twocat to stop doing crunches.  Are they really not useful?  If so, what's good for the core area?

Stay dry  (except where there's drought.  I heard CA has dibs on that Mars H2O.)

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, I'm so glad to hear you're making friends with your half brother, and that your crown and tooth could get glued in!

Yesterday, Stumpy said " Holly--you had things started, just hope that no one is too stubborn to continue.  Give it a try and good luck."  -- and I was thinking,  Holly?  Stubborn???   Of COURSE Holly is stubborn!  She's an ultrarunner!  Without a healthy amount of stubbornness,  no one would actually ever finish an ultra.  (And where do you think Holly's DD got her stubbornness from?)    But it can be a useful thing, too;  in this case, not giving up on patching things up with your dad!

I went to the Denver showing of Rainshadow Running's trailrunning film festival last night, with some of my ultra friends.  It was enjoyable, but not sure it was worth staying up past my bedtime!

No run yesterday - I had some twinges in my right knee on my 20 miler on Sunday, so I took a rest day to see if that fixed it.  Planning a trail run later, and it will likely be in the rain, but we need the moisture so it's all good.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

Is it too early in autumn to suggest a Florida run this winter?  Steve's swinging by in February  (but not Tag).  I'm going to check out what looks like a pretty run late March in Tomoka: http://www.tomokamarathon.com/       It's on the other coast, at Ormond Beach.

when in February?  we're thinking of the sarasota area in late january, but no definite plans yet.

ran 6.5 hilly today getting lost and pulling out iPhone to figure out route (and this is 4 miles from where we live....

Sayhey! MM#130

....forgot to add, glad things improving, Holly .

Beautiful time to be driving around New England and the Mid Atlantic states, E.

Yup, on the west (Gulf) coast; please don't hold Orlando against the rest of us!  (The traffic and the Disney morass, y'know).

marj, Steve's coming down to Tampa for the Gasparilla, a set of 4 races over Sat-Sun, (5K, 8K,  15K and a half) that are scheduled so you can run all 4.   You can opt for just one, or whichever ones, and there are "challenges" of different combos.   Feb 20 & 21.

( I think DH is doing the 15K one day and the 8K the next--either that, or the 5K and the half.  I forget.)

BTW, I'll be near Tampa the end of Jan for a nice half, at Lakewood Ranch, a planned community.  It's the 24th of Jan, put on by Suncoast. [http://activesuncoast.org/Suncoast_Half_Marathon.html]

Also doing a half in Sarasota March 13, First Watch.  That's a big race, lots of fun.    Let me know what you decide.

Take care of that hammy, Jay.  Those things can be a bear to heal.  I'm still nursing my left hammy from back in March and I basically didn't do any running from June 22 to the end of August.

Holly - Leave a VM, have fun getting to know your brother, and hopefully he can help build a bridge.  Great news about the tooth!

2Kitty - Every year I try squash in various forms, thinking that THIS year will be the year it makes its mark - eh.  Never happens.  It's not that I don't like squash, it's just that after one meal, a few bites, I'm good until next year.  I feel the same way about hotdogs.

Aamos - Planks are some of the best core work you can do.  Bicycles are good, too, but planks are the best (IMHO).

Enke - My SIL is Russian and makes a fantastic borscht.

5 miles this a.m. on tired legs.  Wondering why, I looked at my workouts and saw that this is my 5th week of increasing.  But since the month of October will be a crap shoot re running, I'll live with it.  9 days and counting until we leave for our trip.  Woot woot!!  Got the last of our vaccinations last night (which has been an expensive adventure) - Hep A and B booster - and we start taking our malaria meds on the 8th.  I'm trying not to get too excited too soon . . .

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Thanks, Leslie--figures; I hate them!

Forgot to add:

If you need caffeine every day like you need air to breathe,  National Coffee Day is Sept. 29, and with it comes a slew of offers from U.S. java joints for free or discounted coffee.  Here are a few:

As always, some deals might not be offered at your local restaurant or chain, so call ahead to make sure you don’t get there and face disappointment.

Dunkin’ Donuts: Customers can get a free medium cup of Dunkin’ Donuts hot or iced dark roast coffee, with a one-per guest limit at participating locations.

Cumberland Farms: Customers can text the word FREECOFFEE to 33733 using their smartphone to receive a coupon for a free hot or iced coffee, in any size, all day long. The coupon must be redeemed on National Coffee Day, Sept. 29.

Panera Bread: Rewards members have been able to score a free coffee every day of September, so that deal will still be in place for National Coffee Day.

Wawa: Free coffee in the size of your choice.

Krispy Kreme: Customers can get a free small coffee (12 o.z.) aaaaand a free original glazed donut. Krispy Kreme awards members get double points with purchase on Tuesday when you purchase any coffee drink.

Whole Foods: Stores nationwide are offering 12-ounce cups of coffee for $0.25 through September.

Tim Hortons: Get any size coffee in Regular or Dark Roast for just $1 at participating U.S. restaurants.

McDonald’s: Participating McDonald’s restaurants in Connecticut and Western Massachusetts are giving out free small coffees, so it’s worth calling your local restaurant to check if they’re offering a similar deal.

Marathon Maniac #957

National Coffee Day - who knew?

Jay - I hope that twinge sets itself right asap.

My DH called my dad and asked if he wanted to golf with us on Saturday afternoon and my dad said yes!  Hopefully the weather will be okay for it.  Golf is a great way to casually spend time without being "on the spot."

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 69 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

My DH called my dad and asked if he wanted to golf with us on Saturday afternoon and my dad said yes!  Hopefully the weather will be okay for it.  Golf is a great way to casually spend time without being "on the spot."

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mike E

MM #5615

Awesome!

...Good Deal holly///

.....jay///...two words......NeoPhrene Hamstring Brace....warm that sucker up

====================

60's and pouring rain today

..50-min HH walk with cane

..........came in Drenched........it was Wonderful,,,, haven't gotten to Get Rained On this Year

apparently Too Wonderful,

forgot to do my 1st work-out of PT exercises

....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Holly, when I read the end of yesterday's thread, I was glad to hear some positives.  Today, when I read that your husband had set up a golf date with your dad, I thought that was great.  Good for your husband.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s and there was a light wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:34 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Yay Holly!

Erika - sounds like a fun October!

Jay - hope the hammy heals quickly

Went out for a tempo-ish run this morning and it sure was humid - a few times I couldn't tell if it was starting to sprinkle or if it was just the moisture in the air!! Anyway - struggled thru a tempo run .... had to turn my watch off and walk a few times but my paces came out pretty good - 1 mile easy, 3 miles tempo with a .2 easy between the 2nd and 3rd tempo mile then finished off with an easy/mod pace. Met a friend at the gym after to get in some strength work (lower body only because my sternum is still so darn sore) and off to get the car inspected where there was only 1 car ahead of me - my lucky day!!

Happy Tuesday friends.

denise

moebo

Holly, your DH is a smart guy.

Jay, I hope your hamstring heals up fast!

Tomwhite, I like getting out in the (warm) rain, too.

No running for me today--trying to be prudent about my mildly cranky hip. Will take tomorrow off, too, if need be.

Hi Mariposai!