Masters Running

Good Running Sunday (Read 39 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

and it is, still below 80 degrees!  14 miles, 12 @8:45 and 2 cool down miles.  we had a good sunrise and rainbow with some later much appreciated sprinkles.  So good x 3!

Happy Sunday (and sundaes, isn't it ice cream month, Tag?)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

mrrun

isn't it ice cream month,

Every month is ice cream month - the Northeast consumes the most ice cream in the country - we eat it in the winter also!

8+ fairly sproinky miles around Boston and the harbor.  also had cool temps which made it even more enjoyable.

happy runs, walks, bikes, etc.

marj

Marj, I guess that explains the location of Ben & Jerry's.

Good to see such a cheerful enke!

We're heading out tomorrow for northern MI. I'm not sure if I'll try to get out for a run or not. I just checked and my total running + cycling mileage for July happens to be 293, which is prime. I'd hate to blow it now...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

I think I almost prefer ice cream in the colder months.  It melts too quickly in the heat.

18 slow miles for me in 73-77 degrees.  In spite of last weekend's no running, my legs just feel tired.  No matter, some days are just like that.  Sproink will return, I have no doubt.

Interestingly, as I ran along the river, I saw a car on the other side of the river on the embankment, almost IN the river, doors open, headlights on, but apparently no one around.   That part of the river has a field adjacent, then woods, but with a gravel road that comes near the river's edge.  Someone had driven it off the gravel road, across the field, and almost into the water. I suspect that either 1) the car was stolen by joy-riding vandals, or 2) the driver and passengers were very drunk and fled the scene, or possibly both.  When I came back that way an hour later, there were two police cars on the gravel road, with officers standing around the scene.  I expect I will hear something on the news about it.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

rtravers congratulations to your DS!  Funny, that you and rochrunner should have that back and forth over sun protection yesterday.  During my long run last week around mile 10 the sun was high in the sky and I had forgotten to put one sun screen.  I was thinking rtravers would not be happy with me!

Holly S. good for your DH.  I hope you all figure out a way to repair your savings account now that the transmission is fixed.

Spareribs well you finished and that means you beat a lot of people that never came out to the race to begin with.

AamosY I agree, a 5k is the most painful of all distances.  I call them pain contests.

tomwhite I have no idea how you pool run.  I have always been impressed with your ability to go out day after day and do it.  I am not sure I could pool run regularly even if that was the only hope I had to keep going on the planet.  I suspect that your recalcitrant friends are debating this trade off as well.

tselbs we could use the weather you had yesterday here in CT.  I tell you, I am seeing alligators by the roads here in town again!

stumpy77 might want to find an excuse to head out of the house, you know for your own personal safety. 

HermosaBoy that does look good!  But, I suspect that you will need to run another 140 miles to burn that off.  No, the last zero is not a typo! 

Mike E was yesterday national 14 mile run day and I missed it?  

enkephalin so glad to hear things are working out so well with Blue Eyes!  Does he run relays?  

Yesterday I finished 48 OA in the wacky distance race here, this one somewhere between 4.0 and 4.1 miles.  I have been moving up in the OA ranks from week-to-week.  (The full set of results will appear who knows when.)  Hopefully that means I am getting my race times back down after taking off a bit over a month from doing any real training after the Vermont City Marathon this past May.  Today was an elliptical day for me.  Good thing too because it is like a swamp out there (see alligator warning above).  My DW however braved the swamp critters and went out for a 5 mile run.  Next up, she has her friends coming over for lunch.  Seeing as how I am not actually invited and it is at our house, I now have to go out and run some errands so as not to be the unwanted poor guy they have to invite to join them.    Off to Home Depot to get bird food and citronella torch fluid.  Any of you need anything there while I am going?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I usually find several things that I couldn't imagine how I had lived without for so long.

7.25 miles in the rain this morning.  I didn't melt, and acutally saw more runners out than I normally do.    Didn't quite keep average under 10, but close enough that I was again pleased with the results.  I also ran about 1/4 mile with a lady and her dog while chatting a bit that was somewhat slower than I had been going.

Nice LRs for Amy and Holly

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

HermosaBoy

HermosaBoy that does look good!  But, I suspect that you will need to run another 140 miles to burn that off.  No, the last zero is not a typo! 

I think the humidity on today's 6 miler helped put a dent in those calories.

Now for my normal Sunday activities.  Go do the grocery shopping and have our standard Sunday meal -- steak, baked potato and then blizzards from Dairy Queen.  I know it's rough, but I will take one for the team.

Stay cool all!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mike E

MM #5615

tomwhite I have no idea how you pool run.  I have always been impressed with your ability to go out day after day and do it.  I am not sure I could pool run regularly even if that was the only hope I had to keep going on the planet.  I suspect that your recalcitrant friends are debating this trade off as well.

Off to Home Depot to get bird food and citronella torch fluid.  Any of you need anything there while I am going?

I completely agree about tomwhite.  If that was me, I would never have to worry about hip surgery, because I would have drowned my first time trying.

And, yes...I do need a couple of things...some paint to match Grandma's bathroom, an 8' or 10' fiberglass step ladder, (I can't make up my mind which one, so go ahead and surprise me), a sump pump with battery backup...dang-it, I know there's something else...just wander around the store until it comes to me.   Thanks...that will save me a trip.

And, yes...I do need a couple of things...some paint to match Grandma's bathroom, an 8' or 10' fiberglass step ladder, (I can't make up my mind which one, so go ahead and surprise me), a sump pump with battery backup...dang-it, I know there's something else...just wander around the store until it comes to me.   Thanks...that will save me a trip.

While you're there, I need some replacement line for my weed whacker, fertilizer and a new needle-nose shovel. Just put it on Mikes' bill.

Pool running isn't so bad. In limited amounts. Not quite sure how Tom does it, and does it well - as with no floatation belt in the deep end.

It  helps to have the lifeguard play some really good music so you have something to listen to while you completely zone out.

Holly - sounds like over served kids under the legal drinking age. When you find out, let us know.

Bring me a chocolate Dilly bar from the DQ HermosaBoy. Thanks!

4 miles in too much heat and humidity today. I truly don't know how Aamos and Ribs do it. And run fast in it! Maybe it's the Wisconsin genetics and the fact that winter lasts 6 months here.  DH and I are playing in the Husband/Wife club championship this afternoon. The format is best ball of two.  We've won it the last 3 years and I feel like I have a big target on my back! Hopes are to just play well, shoot my handicap and not collapse in the heat. These rounds are always at least 5 hour ordeals which makes it hard to stay focused. I'll let you know if DH is still talking to me

I completely agree about tomwhite.  If that was me, I would never have to worry about hip surgery, because I would have drowned my first time trying.

...Rub some Dirt on it Mike//.............thanks guys, the Easy Answer is ''No Other Optioms''

amazing how Simple Life Can Be sometimes

==========

ironically

Rest Day today..................my pre-op Exercise Program has me so sore I can barely move.......

..................good running to Ya.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Three-and-a-half days of GS training must have allowed me to take off at the Outer Point Turn-around at mile 13.1 of Saturday’s Frank Maier Marathon a little southeast of erika-land and run without stopping at all for 11 straight miles back before pretty much petering out but getting a GS assist pulling my hand to get me down the final stretch for a 22 minute negative split, probably the first one in ten years, if not more.

'Started at the still very light 5:00 a.m. remedial start before the 6:00 a.m. early and 7:00 a.m. regular starts to walk/walk-run for three-and-a-half hours with four well-known magamarathoners with an accumulated 3,400 marathons (~400/700/800/1,500) and ages 64/68/70/72(me)/76. Learned a lot from their accumulated knowledge, especially about handling flight schedules and airports nowadays.

ps enke - good job on the "I kind of need a shower" ruse too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Figures it's the Northeast that consumes so much ice cream...! We see all that snow and just figure we might as well have fun! Actually Carvel's history says they were the first commercial retail ice cream shop in the United States. And then there is Friendly's ice cream just celebrating its 80th birthday. Wilbraham, MA is its home and S. Pressly Blake the CEO is still going strong at 101.

http://www.friendlys.com/about-friendlys/about-us  Hmmm.....making me hanker for some now.

Ran six easy miles early this morning and then we hit the road for a week of driving. We're now in Pittsford NY and taking a bit of a break from packing up my in-laws. We are taking turns each weekend with Mr CNYrunner's sisters and packing them up before a move to a memory care facility nearby. It's a bittersweet journey, but we'll be relieved once they are settled. Safety for my MIL is a top priority even if our hearts are broken.

I'll get an Erie Canal tow path run tomorrow. I wonder if there are any mules available? We'll get to Missouri by Thursday and pack up the kiddo from his summer digs. So proud of him.

Just love the Tet and GS stories! Keep 'em coming!

TW is amazing. Just saying.

(((JLynne))))) I fear the sound of the phone ringing in the middle of the night assuming it will be news of my brother's death--- alcohol and hard drugs---he knows both quite well, and the collateral damage is fierce.

Dave59

With an extreme load at work and trying to get packed at home, I haven't been able to keep up here very well.  I ran a few miles yesterday and felt sick. Today I ran 4.48 and felt a little better.

Craziness will continue until Labor Day and by then we should be settled in the new place enough to relax.

Someone who came to get some of our furniture said they liked our cats and might want to take them.  That would be fantastic if that works out.  They were supposed to by by daughter's cats and she promised to take them when she got done with college but then she got a boyfriend is is allergic to them.  I don't know what I would do without the weekly puking, the 4:00am wake-up calls, and having all my electrical cords chewed through. 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think you'll find the strength to carry on.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

New skirt in town

6.5 easy early morning miles. It was cool, but still very humid, and it took me a good, long time to cool down!  Then DH and I went to our ballroom dance lesson, and it went well!  We have a "showcase" next weekend (sort of like a recital, for grownups!), and we are performing a rumba/chacha.  I have a crazy skimpy dress with sparkles all over it, and I feel ridiculous.  But, it's de rigeur.  Time to start the self-tanning!

I'm 3 weeks into my 18-week training plan for NYC, and it's going well so far.  My left foot is a little wonky, with some pain over the 3rd metatarsal-phalangeal joint.  NOT over the metatarsal bone itself, which would have me worried about a stress fracture.  Capsulitis?  I don't know.  I may take a week of cross training if it doesn't start to feel better soon.

My son's camp posted a photo of the group of boys who ran the 4-miler yesterday.  I love how sweaty they look!  My son is kneeling in the front row, second from left (between 221 and 222)

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA