Masters Running

Monday May 12 Runs and Workouts (Read 43 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Enke – Great Racing!

Marj – that is an awesome day – you’re DD is spot-on!

I got up Sunday morning to find a series of cards positioned around the coffee maker.  After years of staying up late the night before holidays to leave something for the kids, this weekend was the first time the kids stayed up late to leave something for ME.  And they know the coffee pot is the first place I go in the morning.  

My DD made several homemade cards that were so cute and thoughtful, and it made my heart smile, you know?  Then I saw the card DS left me and the notation he wrote on the envelope, “I probably didn’t get this for you at 11:30 last night,” and I laughed out loud.  (This is actually the first time he has remembered to get me something.)  But when DD woke up and gave me this gift, I actually cried.

https://flic.kr/p/niyxDq

(Sorry I can't put the picture in here.  Flikr has changed their format and I no longer know how to post pictures from there.)

No run for me today, just 35-40 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

So Holly, so sweet; can you share at least some of the 10, if not ALL?  #prettypleasewithaprontop  \

And I think you must be an outstanding mom, having met you and been intouch here for so many years.

So glad you had a really memorable Mom's day.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Here you go Holly. I borrowed the picture from Facebook. Flickr sure changed their page Sad and it is hard to get the URL from there now.

I too had a fun day yesterday. I started the day  with 10 miles of trail running, then I had a yummie brunch prepared for me by my son Daniel. I had many other sons and daughters visiting me, many of them brought me a bouquet of flowers. I felt so loved and cherished. Dinner on the deck cooked by my DH was a good way to end the day. I felt like a queen Smile.

4.5 smiles miles for me this morning under clear, crispy blue sky.  What a perfect way to start the week!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Henrun

Mother's Day posts proved that the the "goddesses" on this site are more importantly great parents.

No running today as our mini heat spell continues for one more day. Instead I walked my 2.5 reservoir route and will bike to the Y for yoga this afternoon.

Mother's Day posts proved that the the "goddesses" on this site are more importantly great parents.

+++1

I got told Happy Mother's Day a few times.  Do cats count?  I think so.

I capped off my week with my biggest mileage week in two years - 52 miles - and my last B2B2B for a few weeks:  Fri-8/Sat-22/Sun-9.  I was very surprised at how good I felt at the end of it call.  It means my coach's training, my low HR training, and my nutrition change are all starting to meld together for the good.  Memorial Day Weekend will be the time to see how it all comes together.  So today is arest day, although I might do a bit of core and UB when I get home tonight.

My tendinitis is trying to come back, and a couple of other issues have raised their heads a bit, so I'm going to do the smart thing and get back in to see my PT as soon as possible.  I refuse to get derailed yet again by things that can be addressed and nipped in the bud before they become extreme.  (See!  It is possible to get smarter!)

Have a great week ~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Exactly right Leslie; go after it now.

Holly, that was touching.

Yesterday was good and bad in a way, but at least from the point of view of Mother's Day and the Saint, it was very very good, so I'm happy about that.

The problem is that I don't know what I can and cannot do yet.  I know I can't run, but I was told to walk all I wanted to, so I did 4.4 miles yesterday. Well, that turned out to be too much as I was very fatigued the rest of the day, which would have been okay except I had to cook all afternoon.

I started by making a good tomato salad with basil from my garden.  Then I made a huge vegetarian salad of edamame, corn, black beans and garbanzo beans, with cuke, cilantro, scallions, half a jalapeno and a lemon vinaigrette.  I also made sweet potato fries, which she loves, boned out 8 chicken thighs so I could have boneless but skin on chicken on the grill, with a tamari and sesame oil marinade, and baked a pound of salmon.  It was delicious!  The boys did the grill and cooked the chicken so that was a help.

But I had to stop a couple of times to lie down.  I won't do that again! Today I walked one mile and that was it.

For you ultra runners, here is today's post with a tip on improving, along with an opera story!  How's that?

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/05/the-best-tip-for-improving-your-ultra-performance.html/

Spareribs

Mike E

MM #5615

(See!  It is possible to get smarter!)

Really?!  You mean....there's some hope for me?  Or is that like when my mother used to tell me that I would be taller someday?

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey--thanks for the article, Ribs. Pretty good timing, too, since I'll be starting an ultra training plan in a few weeks.  Speaking of ultra training plans...I would be very interested in hearing of any ultra training plans any of you have tried.

I hope all the RA mothers had a great day yesterday, they deserve it.  It was good to hear of the Jay/milktruck meetup and half.  perch, nice 5K with 1AG.  ribs, I'm glad to hear you're recovering enough for a 4.4 mile walk.  perch, that 1363 day streak is impressive.  enke, congrats on your 3AG in your 5K and beating last year's time.  You need to come and do some of the small races I do and get more hardware.  Fortunate, how neat to run 11 miles to celebrate your friend.  fatozzig, good job on your highest mileage week in 2 years.

Nice long runs for Az, wild, perch, CNY, and mari.

The other day, a niece posted this on FB.  It sums up the start to most of my running days.

This morning, I definitely felt this way, a bit yucky and with a slight headache.  The temp was in the low to mid 60s and there was just a light breeze.  I decided to pick a 5 mile route when I should be doing 8 miles.  As I progressed, I added a couple side trips and extra little bits here and there to end up with the 8 miles.  After the first 4 miles, my pace was just over 11 min/mile which is better than usual for me these days.  After that, each mile found me with a faster pace even though I was trying to take it easy and it felt hard.  I ended up with a 10:40 pace which is better than any 8 mile training run in quite awhile.  I also had negative splits by 3:02.  Maybe I should try to feel yucky before and during a run in order to do well.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

nipped in the bud before they become extreme. 

Barney Fife: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de_P2aUZJyA

Quick post from me...Sorry!

Two loops at Mt.Tom reservoir with Iron J at 11 am this am for 6.5 miles at 8:15 pace. Pollen festival and August-like temps and a lovely run!

Just home from the kiddos last track meet and for us the last HS sporting event where we'll have our own kiddo going for whatever goal is ahead. All this "last" stuff is making my eyes red!

Off to get work done for a big presentation tomorrow.

I LOVE Barney Fife!  One of the all-time best characters ever.

Ribs - Just remember your body is coming back from quite a shock.  It will definitely take awhile before the exhaustion ebbs away.  So be kind to yourself and go slow.  And that dinner . . .. YUM!

So MikeE - Do tell about this ultra you'll be running.  Hmmm???

Perfect post, Tselbs.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So MikeE - Do tell about this ultra you'll be running.  Hmmm???

It's about time one of the guys joined ribs in something longer than 26.2 miles.

Don't let us down MikeE.  No pressure or anything like that but we're counting on you.

Make sure y ou get your hydration and nutrition right, shoes don't cause blisters,

no twisted ankles on rocks, roots, twigs and snags, watch out for wild animals,

especially if it goes into the darkness hours.

Don't worry, though, you'll do fine.

You better.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly, your daughter is as sweet as she is spunky!   Obviously takes after her mom. 

Mike, are you doing the Vermont 50k or 50 mile?  And are you doing another ultra before that?  Vermont isn't till late September so it seems a little early to start training for that yet.  And as far as training plans,  I kind of use the one in Relentless Forward Progress as a guideline but don't follow it very closely.  Just run lots of trail miles and you'll be fine.  You do have trails there, right?

We got 18" of snow so far, and it's still snowing lightly.  I took the fuzzy ones for a 3 mile run around the block after DH plowed the road.    Here's a picture on my deck this morning.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

So Holly, so sweet; can you share at least some of the 10, if not ALL?  #prettypleasewithaprontop  \

Okay, here goes (remember this comes from an 11yo - all may change when she becomes a teen):

1. You're nice

2. You're protective

3. You're beautiful

4. You're polite

5. You're lovable

6. You help when needed

7. You help when not needed (offering help any time)

8. You're respectful to me

9. You're too good to be true

10. You're the best mom ever!

Ribs - what Leslie said.

Carolyn - it is lovely, but I am so done with winter!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."