Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond On the Run - w/e 10/03 (Read 588 times)

"I learned that if you want to make it bad enough, no matter how bad it is, you can make it." (Gale Sayers)

Perfectly sums up yesterday.  I posted a mini report at the end of yesterday's thread. . . . . . my feet still hurt.  But I have 8 hrs of driving ahead of me, so I need to get off the dime and get going.

Have a great Sunday.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie.....about those tough races......it's all part of the plan.  Tough races make tough runners.  You may have upped your level of badassery.  Nice going!

Mtn......lately my runs have been few and far between.  You're right.....I've been eating buttered popcorn and drinking beer!

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

{{{{{  Oh Leslie!!  }}}}   DAMMIT!   hate, hate, hate the heat!!!!  do you use S caps?  I think it may have been my saving grace last wknd....recover well my friend & we'll see you to the next one....drive safely!

Ev!?!?  hrmphf!!  ... well, as long as it's good beer & temporary  

Went to a Women's Adventure Camp yesterday up @ the Boulder Reservoir...primarily like an expo w/clinics to test drive or be introduced to a variety of women specific gear &  outdoor sports...had more "clinics' than time to do them all, so I had to pick! I went with: Winter backcountry skills, Orienteering, Osprey fit clinic (backcountry backpacks), Fly fishing, Kayaking & was supposed to do Standup Paddling - but the line to demo was too long, so I indulged in my Monte Cristo crepe & beers....once again, got some good swag! Got to handle & ask questions abt lots of gear in areas that I'd like to explore...yeees, I know they're trying to sell me stuff...really good stuff though!  (I'm in love w/the little kayak!! GREAT core workout!!) & I ran into/chatted w/several women who'd participated in last wknd's fiasco there....no other marathoners, but several who'd done/attempted the half & were amazed that I'd completed the full in those conditions! One who said she'd written a lengthy letter to the RD & friends abt it....her key pts being the late start & shoddy support - apparently more than half of the aide stations were completely out of water for the half marathon route!! & they were out of most of the finish line food before even half of the runners got in....sounds like she's going to make a news-sance of herself!

** waving **  Hope everybody else is having an awesome weekend!!! 

off to look @ a kayak Doug found on Craigslist....

mta: yup! picked up a used river runner 9'  let the crosstraining begin...well, for a little bit before it gets too cold!

C

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - read your mini RR, sounds like a tough one, you shoulda come down and trained with me   Problem is, I ain't got much in the way of hills. How are the shins doing?

Jewels?? Maybe I should PM her and see if I get a bite.

Carol - just getting comfortable in the water must be a joy. Sounds like it's a long process, just like getting into your groove with running.

Cindy - ah, toys, so hard to resist...I would love to get a kayak, oh and lots of other toys, too....

Ev - buttered popcorn and beer, mmmmm. Better keep running!

Joe - glad to hear you're bagging that round-and-round-and-round-and-ugh marathon. Just the thought of it made me a little queasy.

Took a quick trip out to the coast and got a run in, then hooked up with some friends for lunch at Phil's in Moss Landing (my favorite place for seafood, EVER). There was a lady there I had never met before, who had come in from Leadville for the weekend. I said, "Oh, Leadville is famous!", she looked at me funny and asked why, I told her well of course because of the Leadville 100 (I'm such a dork). She gave me another funny look and said, "I've run that, well actually I won it, I was the top woman and #5 overall, but I just do little four-milers with my dog now." Later she said that it was the best day of her life, and, "I never win anything!". I was all kinds of starstruck to be in the presence of a Leadville winner.    I didn't get a chance to ask her why she didn't run much anymore. Everyone else was looking blank, like what in the world kind of craziness are you two talking about? Heh. She was very modest about it...very cool lady.

'nother hot one tonight, shooting for an even 50 this week. Marathon training has begun in earnest!

Arla

Ex runner

Leslie, wooohhoooo!!!! Congrats on your finish in tough conditions.  Sounds like a brutal, unforgiving course as well.  The hills at Big Sur are....well...big and surly!  But you persevered and made the best of it, and that's what counts.

Ev, maybe another popcorn and beer day tomorrow night, eh?

Cindy, kayaking sounds like a lot of fun.  I'm determined to try one of those touristy one on our next beach vacations.  I think there are also a few folks who kayak out at our local lake, so maybe some day....

Arla, what a cool meeting.  I mean what are the chances!  Probably kind of nice for her to run into someone who knew what she was talking about too.  If you know how to get in touch w/ Jewels, sure would be nice to just know she's OK. 

Did an informal 5K in about 28.5 mins at the JDRF walk on Saturday, followed by setting up at church, followed by unloading boxes of books from the overhead of a u-haul trailer whilst helping a friend move, followed by breaking the lawnmower, repairing same, and mowing the yard.  Not much on Jim & Lynda's scale!  Today was just a nice swim.  Did a couple of time trials of my race distance.  Wasn't pushing it too much, and looks like I would have come in 10th out of 18 in my AG in the swim last year, so that boosted my confidence a bit.

Have a great week!   

Progress Trumps Pefection

jfa

What a busy bunch of Fortarians and Fivetarians and (maybe Sixtarians) we have!

Leslie- ah the heat! Dagnabit! The Great Equalizer! Nothing saps a runner ( unless your SuperWoman or Arla) faster and more thoroughly. Just had a heat related bonk last week myself .Add those gargantuan "hills" of the California Coast and well, you still did pretty darn good for getting through it! Rest up now.You certainly earned and deserve it!

Geez Cindy, you really are the adventurer. Is that a 9' kayak I suppose? Good for you! Those kids that you regularily dust while running will be quite jealous.

Hey Ev! Here's hoping your team gets it's first New Stadium Win! As long as it's against some other team, not some other certain team that shall remain nameless.

Arla- that could have been  Ann Trason. She's a bit of a legend there around the LV100. They talk of her in "Born to Run" .If you haven't read it, do so soon. I think you'll really like it. Especially the stuff about running shoes.

Carol- you're doing all that AND repairing lawnmowers too? Very talented. I'm happy it's coming together for you in the pool and on land. How long is the bike ride in your tri?

Pouring rain at bedtime last night, and since I hadn't pre-registered, sacked the 5-mile race today. Coming off a 16 yesterday, I chose to sleep in instead. There's a couple of short local races coming up. A 5k soon and a half scheduled on the date of the loopy marathon ,that I canned, will be some tune-up for Oct.

Buddy and I got out to the reservoir later though. All the racers were gone (still drizzly) so he and I had a nice little race of our own. That little furry bugger beat me this time,but only by a nose! 

flatland mountaineer

Just got home from a wknd in CO. Too wet to seed wheat.

Did a 10 hr mega hike in place of a long run.

11400 ft lake and mtn chks CO cerulian blue sky, didn't spell that right, but lack of O2 at altitude really gives a blue/black sky. Longs Peak in the background

Leslie congrats on finishing on a very tough day.

Ev popcorn beer and football.....works for me ;-)

Arla cool story bout the LV lady. Sounds like your rampin' up big miles again.

Carol nice 5k plus x-training also. You fix mowers too, how bout combines, we need lots of help?

Cindy the expo sounded like great fun. Enjoy the kayak.

Joe I'd ask for the photo-finish lol. Nice 16er!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

apparently more than half of the aide stations were completely out of water for the half marathon route!! & they were out of most of the finish line food before even half of the runners got in.

There is absolutely no reason for these races to run out of water.  I could go on and on, but I'm glad the one lady is going to make a nuisance of herself.  And in answer to your question, yes, I use S-caps.  Went through 7 yesterday, but probably should've taken more.  At one point, before the last one kicked in, I wasn't sure if I was gonna puke or poop all over myself.  Luckily, neither happened.

Ev - Badassery.  Love it!

Joe - Buddy beat you.  Hmm - sounds to me like someone hasn't been training hard enough.

Carol - I think you're gonna do great at your tri.  I'm getting excited for you.

Arla - Yeah, IM Jewels and see if she replies.  And yes, running in your heat would've been nice training.  I really don't know how you do it.  And you got to talk to an honest to God Leadville finisher.  Wee Ha!!

Jim - Beautiful pictures.  The altitude though - ugh!

I got home about an hour and a half ago and am beat.  It was a long 8+ hrs.  But other than that, still feeling a bit dehydrated, and cranky hips and quads, I feel pretty good.  It's definitely time to hit the hay.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjwAucpiC6Q

.....for Jim & Lynda....

or:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrZoJoajBD0&feature=related

& Cerulean, also spelled caerulean  

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Queen of 3rd Place

Jim - lovely. I used to live in Flagstaff, I miss those dark dark blue skies sometimes, and the amazing light.

Leslie - damn, that's tough driving like that after a marathon, no wonder things are a little tight!

OK, so I tried to PM Jewels, but all I could do was send her a message via this website, I don't have any other contact info for her. I'm sure everythings ok and she's just busy.

102 when I hit the road this evening, I think that's a new record for me.

Arla

Ex runner

102 when I hit the road this evening, I think that's a new record for me.

Okay - that's just pure evil.  I think California doesn't realized that summer is over!!

Slept hard, hard, hard last night - until The Hub came home from his late night and snored, snored, snored, so I got to move to the comfy bed.  No running, nothing, today, except crawling around on an office floor trying to put a HUGE file together.  Helped to loosen things up a bit!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Nice Pics Jim! Looks absolutely beautiful up there.

Here's the opposite of the curelean skies, as seen on the boardwalk on tonights run.Heck of a squall line but no lightning came from it. Nice 10 in the rain.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Yes, I'm back.  and incredibly behind on reading, here and the dailies and the race reports.  I think the likelihood of catching up is getting worse and worse, so may have to sort of start from scratch.  Please forgive the total lack of any personal notices--I promise to keep up better

A quick overview seems as all are doing pretty well.

We had a great and very busy trip to LA to get the DD settled in at UCLA.  It's a VERY big place.  LA (my first real visit there) can seem like another country.  Traffic wasn't nearly as bad as I was lead the dread.  Guess an inoculation of Boston traffic makes things look not so bad.  DD is in a two bedroom suite with 4 other girls.  it includes a very nice living room and a private bath and a couple of sinks.  Very plush--not exactly comparable to the cinder-brick dorms we had back in  the day   We moved her in on Friday and none of the other roommates moved in until Sunday.  So she was a little lonely and spent a little more time with us than we planned.  we did a few touristy things--La Brea tar pits, Beverly hills, and Mulholland drive (absolutely amazing!!).  Then back on the red-eye on Tuesday and off to work.  The rest of last week and this weekend involved getting back onto eastern time and catching up on everything that get let go to get ready for going off to school.

We also got to pick up our new Yaris, provided by the Cash for Clunkers.  the dealer told us that we were the 2nd to last people to get approval.  It's a really nice little car--first actual new car we've had since we bought the van that gave its life in order for us to get it, 16 years ago.  Because the van was in DW's name, this one is, too, but I get to drive it to work.  She makes sure I know that she's letting me drive HER car.

Oh, yes, running.  I got in a couple of runs in while in LA and did the lake loop on Sunday for 3.1 miles, but no shin or knee pain that was around before we left.  Hope the mostly resting that I did has helped.

Hi to everyone .  The Red Sox are getting clobbered AND rain delayed--time to go to bed and hope it's not raining (too hard) in the morning.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Heya Stumpy, welcome back! No need to feel like you have to catch up, each of us steps out of here once in awhile, just pick up where you came back in. Sounds like you done good in LA (my home town), La Brea tar pits and Mulholland are two excellent touristy choices, hey even the locals like that stuff. What's "the lake loop"? Lake Hollywood?

Leslie - crawling about on the floor is a....different...way of loosening up   Makes me creaky just thinking about it.

Joe - love those storm lines that come is alluvasudden like that, especially when there's lightening. Unless I'm on a motorcycle, that is...

Got a little break from lecturing as I'm giving exams all week. Now it's their turn to work

Ex runner

Ev - buttered popcorn and beer, mmmmm. Better keep running!

Arla

This is the one that got me going.  Thanks Arla! 

6 miles running and 3 miles walking with the lovely Mrs. Day yesterday evening.  Beautiful weather here in OK. 

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM