Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond On the Run - w/e 10/03 (Read 588 times)

Hey there fit people!

How 'bout those Cowboys, Ev?  It was a good night for the hubby.

Arla, 102???!!!!  Well, I hope it's a dry heat, I guess??  I always thought Flagstaff would be a great place to live....if we could afford it.  Love Sedona also, have some pics from there that are some of my all time favs.  You are right about the light being incredible. 

Jim, those pics are beautiful!  Must be great to be able to dash over there for the weekend.  You definitely don't want me working on any of your farm equipment.  I know how to break things, but not how to fix them.  I had to take the mower to the shop, but they were kind enough to tell me how to fix it myself after I admitted the stupid thing I had done (tipped it over the wrong way to clean the underside and got oil all over the air filter and spark plug). 

Joe, sounds like you're doing a lot of running in the rain these days.  Those storm clouds are awesome!  Kinda fun as long as it's not too cold.  My tri is a short one...300 meter pool swim, 12 mile bike ride, 3.1 mile run...but enough to keep me going and trainin so as to not embarass myself too badly. 

Leslie, I don't envy you having to drive like that after a full out physical effort. 

Cindy...oohhh...ohhhh...you got a Kayak!  Coolness!!!!

Stumpy, sounds like the rest did you good.  Congrats on the Yaris AND getting your DD settled at UCLA! 

OK, I'm running hardly any miles, yet seem to have developed an arch issue on my right foot.  The pain is pretty localized to the inside arch towards the heel (but no pain IN the heel).  It is sore to the touch, and walking/running is painful.  Has gotten worse, though I can still run through it.  I thought maybe PF, but it's so localized, I'm thinking a muscle or tendon strain.  Started in my old shoes, but has gotten worse now that I switched out to the new ones (same model...Brooks Adreneline).  Guess I'll go with ice/massage/stretching and stick to biking and swimming for a few days.  Any other ideas?

Progress Trumps Pefection

Morning -

Welcome back, Stumpy.  No need to go back and try to catch up.  Ask questions if ya have any, and we'll answer them.  Pretty much we've all been running and living life.

Joe - Beautiful pictures!!

Carol - Don't know what to tell you about the foot, except I wouldn't run on it for a few days.  Give it time to heal, if it is a strain.  Running will just make it worse.  RICE!

Arla - Make those students suffer.

I had planned to get up and do my 3 miles w/strength & core, but decided right before the alarm went off at 4:30 that I deserved yet another day of rest.  I don't have anything else planned until December, so why  not.

Two friends ran Hundred in the Hood this past weekend.  Both said it was the absolute hardest trail run they've ever encountered.  Russ' legs gave out at Mile 91 of 101.9 miles (), and Kate went on to actually PR. And this only her second 100-miler.  Yea, Kate!  She is what I aspire to be someday.  Maybe not the 100, but a strong consistent runner.

Okay - Off to crawl around on the floor some more today.

Later!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol -  I hear ya about breakin' stuff, taking things apart is one thing, getting it back together...   That tri sounds just about perfect, btw, bet you're gonna have a blast! About your foot, my PF was the same way, very localized, and in the exact same spot you described. Don't know what to say besides what Leslie said. Some barefoot running has pretty much made it go away, but you have to take that very, very slowly and carefully.

Leslie - you sure do deserve a break! What's next for you, that run along the American River?  And...give in to your dark side, you know someday the call of 100 miles will get you.

62 today when I went out...yup, crazy fall weather!

Arla

Ex runner

Leslie - you sure do deserve a break! What's next for you, that run along the American River?  And...give in to your dark side, you know someday the call of 100 miles will get you.

Arla

Arla - You sound like my hub re the 100.  When I told him about the 50, he said, "I support you in whatever you do.  But you got a gleam in your eye when we were watching that program about Badwater."  Me: "Those people are stupid!"  Him: "What would you have said three years ago if I had said you'd be running 50 miles?" Me: "Oh."

Between now and AR50 in April, I will have Desert High 50k in December, Hagg Lake 50k in February, and will probably try to find something small in between that fits with the training schedule.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

"small" for Leslie being merely a marathon, I suppose

Ex runner

3 miles this evening.

Yes, Carol.....the Cowboys managed a win.   All is good in the world.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Evening folks!

Yes indeedy Arla, I think Leslie should pop down & run one of those short little marathons w/you!

My Vail friend has already said she's on deck for Western States 2010....maybe I should offer to crew?

Yup Carol, I agree w/the RICE/barefootin' stuff....pool & cycling will keep you fit enough in the meantime

4 tough miles this am - who knows why - then off to the Doc for more blood work...errands, nap, coupla hrs of light paddling around....them thar kayaky thingys sure are squirrely!! Specially in jet-ski chop! Most of the trees have gone full golden almost overnight! sure makes the lake breathtaking....just had to float around with the ducks for a bit!

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

My Vail friend has already said she's on deck for Western States 2010....maybe I should offer to crew?

You should definitely crew for her!  You would be perfect, with all your experienced with those hondo runs, etc., in your neck of the woods.  And you're always so full of energy, that would be a HUGE plus to someone during the dog hours of the night and next day.

And you guys crack me up!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

And you guys crack me up!

I think we should save this for future blackmail!  ... I'm thinking I should learn to crew w/Anita so that I'll have it down when you're ready! 

OK, I lack self control on sticking to whatever my training plan calls for....not sure anyone else has this "problem" but, I seem to frequently have trouble going "easy enough" for good recovery!  I'm often pushing through creakies, tired, whatever!  Schedule says: 4 easy...I feel good, so I do 5-7 tempo, fartlek, surges, you name it!  schedule says 7 w/5 tempo: I feel tired so, make myself do it!  ....yesterday's run was tough - perceived effort waaay too hard for the pace I was pulling! right hip (sartorias/glute med) stressed & pissed! still, I pushed through about 4 ....decided @ the time that I should take a day off....so now I sit here in my running gear arguing w/myself!!!! wtdwtdwtd!?

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

decided @ the time that I should take a day off....so now I sit here in my running gear arguing w/myself!!!! wtdwtdwtd!?

If you're feeling like you should take  a day off Cindy,you probably should.Just my 2 pesos worth. And you should crew that race as well.

Hi Everyone!

Good win for those Cowboys.Did I just say that?!?

Stumpy , way to go with DD and school in Ca. All of our kids went to school in NJ so I can't imagine that cross country stuff.

Arla- 62* ! Yea!

Mixing up pretty good lately.Yesterday I played hooky from work (use the days or lose 'em)so 5 ff miles with Buddy in the am, trackwork in the afternoon.

Oh yea, hit 300+ miles this month for the first time

Oh yea, hit 300+ miles this month for the first time

Hey Joe, you ran MUCH more than I drove in September!  Awesome!

Thanks guys for the arch advice.  I'm doing the rice thing and sticking w/ cycling and swimming the rest of the week.  Arla, I'm sorry and glad to hear you had a similar sounding problem.  You have recovered quite nicely!

Cindy, I hear you re: not coping well with training programs.  I either try to stick to them to the letter, or tend to drift way too far off when life hits and then fear I can never get back on track.  The tri training program I'm using has been better for some reason.  I look at the week, and just try to get all the workouts in, but don't really try to keep them in order, and even move some one week forward or back.  This is silly, but I bought some star stickers, and I put a star on the schedule if I complete the workout, even if there is a little variation.  My stars are pretty, sparkly colors, and I like them Smile

Ev, yes, the hubby's mood seems better than last week.  Looks like you and the Mrs. are back at it.  Good job!

Leslie, I definitly think you have the mental toughness for a 100 miler.  Would just depend on how your bod holds up, and so far you're doing great with minimal injury.  Maybe you could go up and train with Kelly for a while.

OK, gotta get back to work.  Potential new client meeting this morning, budget meeting w/ another client this afternoon.  I actually had to dress up today...sheesh!

Potential new client meeting this morning, budget meeting w/ another client this afternoon.  I actually had to dress up today...sheesh!

I try to stay as not dressed up as possible for work, but not look like a slouch either.  Tuff. 

Cindy - If you're body/mind is saying rest, take a rest.  It won't hurt and will actually do some good.  Have sat in my large oversized chair a couple of mornings thinking, "There is just no way.  I DON"T want to do this."  Then I go back to bed and feel much better the next day.

Joe - Ah! Hooky!  I haven't accumulated enough 'cred at my  new job for that one - unfortunately.

3 miles this a.m. sans Garmin (a collective gasp is heard from the gallery ).  I couldn't find it, not that I looked real hard.  But I figure it took me a little less than 30 min.  Legs felt surprisingly good, although I can feel my hips are tightening up a bit.

It was quite crisp this a.m.  Had to wear my thin tights for the first time in months, and it was still chilly.  Boo hoo!  Soon I know I'll be wearing my winter tights and it'll be rainy and cold.  {sigh}

Have a great Wednesday.  We're on the downhill slide to the weekend.

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Tempo-ish 4 this morning. Thats what the dog does to me now. Lynda refuses to take her now as a slower pace allows much more leg biting, shoe untieing and coyote pee sniffing. Frost last few mornings then warming into the high 70's by the end of the day on the Great American Desert.

Finished our dryland fallow ground wheat tonite about 8:30p trying to stay ahead of a wet forecast that by the time we got in the house turned dry with 50 mph gusts tommorow. YUK! I will work on the combine and hope to be ready to pick corn by the end of the week.

Huge kudos to the local born gal that owns the fitness center in my town and puts on our July 4th and fair races. Lauren was the women's overall winner of the Omaha Marathon!!

better hit the hay, catch up with yall later!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie, good going on the Garminless run.  I am sometimes NOT disappointed if the batteries are down and I have to leave it at home.

Jim, you and Lynda remind me of disccusions Kerry & I have about who is going to take Katy out for a spin.  She still gets "horsey" and grabs the leash in her mouth to show us how it's done.  Caesar would not approve, but it is kind of fun to watch their antics. 

15 mile bike ride with a friend in the rain this morning.  Mixed light sprinkles, so felt pretty darn good.  A little skiddish about it since we both got new skinny/slick tires on the o'l mountain bikes, but so far no tumbles.  Hit peak speed of 28.6 mph on a nice downhill, which I think is about max for this bike.  Found a new road route along a local highway with nice wide service roads, extra wide shoulders, rolling hills, and very little traffic.  Fun way to rest the footie Smile.  

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - you're doing some decent riding there, and on a mountain bike! You gonna buy/beg/borrow/steal a road bike for your tri? The short tri around here has folks with all kinds of bikes, I even saw a lady on a pink beach cruiser, complete with white wicker basket. Very cool!

Jim - how fun, you have a local celebrity! Maybe you need to hook up with her for a run sometime.

Cindy - I never stick to a schedule anymore, just plan to get between X and Y miles for the week, then run 'em as I feel up to it. For example on Tuesday I was going to run long, but felt a little off and cut it short. Today I felt great and got that long run in. Same with my version of "speedwork", sometimes it just sort of happens on its own...

Joe - big mileage month AND track workouts to boot! Impressive!!

54* when I headed out this am. 12 hilly miles at 9:50-ish felt really good! I'm even starting to pass people, now that's a new experience!

Ex runner