Masters Running

Wednesday, 4.6.16 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good luck with your respective knees, C-R and WC!

Looks like there is going to be a greta meet-up in Portland this weekend. I hope you all (know you will) have a blast!

Good luck in VA, regardless of what you do and don't wear, Stumpy. I don't want to hear about any wardrobe malfunctions! Maybe you should follow Aamos' lead.

DW has had a nasty cold/sore throat for the last 4-5 days - she stayed home on Monday, and went in to work for just a half day yesterday. I'm doing the dance of trying to take good care of her while also not catching what she's got. I'm doing OK so far, but there is still time to get smacked.

7.1 RW miles this morning. At 21F with a bit of a westerly breeze, it was definitely tights weather 'round here.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

He all !

Took a little reprieve from the interwebs and a little rest from running.

4 miles today on Farm Fresh Legs. Felt awesome.

mrrun

Morning all,

Jay's & Slo's runs this morning made up for mine - I started off fine, then almost tripped, but caught myself from falling on a fence & felt my hip twist.  Like any sensible runner idiot I kept on running altho did cut out 1 mile.  Now icing hip and knee   Means supporting the T instead of biking today

Hope everyone has great runs and walks today!

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I believe the Portland meet-up is scheduled for October, unless there is another one I don't know about.

Slo - nice to see you back!

Marj - sensible runner?  Where?    I hope some ice and rest will resolve that for you.

4.4 miles on the TM of  one- and two-minute intervals for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

{{{Marj}}}  Thankfully you didn't hurt the fence. 

Slo - Glad you had a sproinky run on Farm Fresh Legs.

Stay healthy, Jay!

{{{Holly}}} - Just 'cause. 

45 min of stat biking this morning with 7 x 1 min hard thrown in the middle of the session, then about 30 min of core/ST.  I've been slacking on the core/ST for the last couple of weeks. 

Fasting blood work this morning.  Boy was it hard not drinking my coffee on the drive to the lab!

So Tamster - Will we be going to Portland on Friday or Saturday?  I figure the day before I can get off early from work, drive to your place and spend the night, and we can take off the next day.  Oh yeah - I'm inviting myself to spend the night at your house, by the way. 

Looks like I'll be working with another attorney here on helping people establish legal medical marijuana grows (and still working with my estate planning attorney).  From what I've learned thus far, it should be interesting.  And it'll be nice to learn something new.  Let's just hope I can keep up with everything!

Have a great Wed-nes-day, friends ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hmmm, Portland.  I said I'd be there.  Yes, someone should look into accommodations.  I suppose that could be me, but let me check the actual Portland thread.

6.21 miles this morning, using the new Garmin FR 25.  Didn't really know what buttons to push and my eyesight is crap without my reading glasses.  Suppose I should have memorized the commands first, because I took a porta-potty stop about 1 mile into my run, and the pace kept creeping up, so I guess I did not hit pause.  Regardless, my pace absolutely sucked.  I mean, I know I have been running slower, I can tell, but to get the hard, cold numbers staring me in the face, ouch!  Most miles were around an 11:30 pace.  Bleh!  I blame the cycling - has turned my thighs into heavy bricks.

Speaking of cycling, I BBB'd to work - fastest time yet - 31 minutes door to door.  

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

you are always welcome to invite yourself to stay at my house Leslie!  Your plan sounds good to me!

Up at 3:00 a.m. this morning to make sure David was up and getting ready to leave for Portland. Had to be to the school by 4 a.m., so needed to leave our house by 3:40. oy! Even though DH drove him to the school this morning, I was still up. Went back to bed after they left, but knowing my own alarm was going to go off in a couple hrs, it's not like I really slept that well.   Should be mid 80's today, so depending on how I feel (exhaustion-wise), I might take dogs for a few miles on the wooded trails at home where it will feel cooler.

and probably go to bed early tonight too.

Tammy

C-R

Morning Everyone.

Should call you Mr. Consistency Jay. Iron Man is already taken by Cal Ripken in honor of a new baseball season. Well Iron Man 2 since Gehrig is the original Iron man.

Sorry Marj. Heal up

I'm with you Leslie. Must have that first cup of coffee.

Surgery scheduled for the 28th. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions for research. Good to have a balanced view.

No running today but feeling optimistic.

Cheer.s

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Tammy - I will calendar myself out for Thursday afternoon through Monday, just so I have all bases covered.  It can be changed, if necessary. And hey - stay outta the poison oak!  

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Tammy - I will calendar myself out for Thursday afternoon through Monday, just so I have all bases covered.  It can be changed, if necessary. And hey - stay outta the poison oak!  

cool!

this poison oak is miserable and is now in the oozing stage, which i guess is good since that means it's healing, right? I slept with one of my running arm sleeves on my left arm last night and a double layer of paper towels over the oozing part and it was soaked through this morning. TMI and gross I know.  my poor dogs are probably sad that I won't pet and love on them. lil bastaaads!!! 

Tammy

...howdy//.........40-min hill repeats

just going thru the motions today

aloha.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

POISON OAK - what’s it got to do with petting with your hands?

FIVE MILES - after another delightful, but more-and-more wearing, weekend with GS, back to normal with a five mile ‘muter from 7-8am while the sun came out and temps rose from 41-51 degrees except it turned out to be more than just my recent normal of mostly walking and was able to run almost all the way for the first time this year except for the tops of two of the steeper grades.  Maybe I should do more x-training with GS.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
                          1896 OLYMPICS ANNIVERSARY
                          Amy - with today’s Google them being “1896" emblazoned on a weight-lifter design with runner over to the side, I instantaneously thought of the first modern Olympics as the first thing I could think of from 1896 (in addition to my grandmother being born, along with Mamie Eisenhower, Everett Dirksen, George Burns, Jimmy Doolittle, Rogers Hornsby, etc.) but didn’t think the Olympics would have been in April (especially as I’d always associated April in London with the snow when I was there in the eighties) and I certainly didn’t think all the erudites at Google would be featuring a sporting event from 120 years ago over whatever else happened that year that I can’t remember, . . . but they did.
                          ps - I know your brother’s school won but what’s “RS?”
                          Oddly enough, the “summer” Olympics were initially pretty much in April and May and didn’t seem to become the “summer” Olympics until the Winter Olympics started in 1924 pushing the summer events to mostly July and August, except for Melbourne in November 1954, Tokyo 1964 and Mexico City 1958 in October and September for Seoul 1988 and Sydney 2000.

The 1896 Summer Olympics (Modern Greek: Θερινοί Ολυμπιακοί Αγώνες 1896, Therinoí Olympiakoí Agó̱nes 1896), officially known as the Games of the I Olympiad, was a multi-sport event held in Athens, Greece, from 6 to 15 April 1896. It was the first international Olympic Games held in the modern era.

.google
                          Somewhat more sobering, the first Olympics in 1896 was only 47 years before I was born and now Rio XXXI is 72 years after I was born.  yikes!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

POISON OAK - what’s it got to do with petting with your hands?

because all it takes is for some of the oil to get on your hands and then you touch something else and it spreads like wildfire. or at least it does for me - highly highly allergic to the oil.

Tammy

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

57F

11.11 miles

1:45:18

Finally recovered from the weekend's festivities. Just in time to prepare for the coming weekend's festivities!  This afternoon I ran by myself and took advantage of where I live. I ran out of my neighborhood to the swamp and then over to Jamestown Island. You know? Where the settlers landed one time in 1607. Took a little break at the visitors center and then headed back to the swamp.  The road that leads out to the island is transcending. I like to read the license plates as the cars go by. Today's collection: Maine, Texas, New York, Ohio, Maryland, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Indiana. I couldn't see some of the plates because some states don't have front plates and I didn't see a lot of backs of cars.

Amy!  I think I pm'd my cell phone #. Feel free to text or call. Also, my gmail address is:  ralphswife at gmail dot com

I think C-R got great advice re: knee. Happy that you'll get that fixed soon!

I have been skimming the past few dailies. You all crack me up and keep me interested. Thanks for being here.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Re the poison oak issue - the only thing that helps The Hub, who is HIGHLY allergic, is Prednisone.  If he even suspects he has poison oak, he gets in to the the doc for a prescrip.

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance