Masters Running

Saturday March 29 Runs (Read 482 times)

Yea enkephalin I thought about shaving my legs in preparation for my race tomorrow as well. But it is going to be about 26° at the start and figured I could use all the hair that I have! Big grin btb I hope your recovery continues apace today. runningindc good luck with your injury here is hoping it heals quickly.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

PJH

Cold morning in TO today ... balaclava weather as our group ran at 6am this morning ... the cold and darkness made it feel like mid-January. The sun finally came up around 7, raising our spirits a little. Completed my last LR before Boston ... 18.0 mi ... 2:58:10 ... 9:53 pace ... 134 hr. I decided not to run any MP miles today as I had two hard tempo runs this week. A good decision as I found this to be a tough run even at ez pace. I ran with a friend of mine who runs the same pace. She was very steady and her presence really helped get me through the run. I always wonder how I'm going to run a marathon when 18 miles is such a struggle. My legs and knees were tired/sore today as well ... a sign that I'm ready to begin tapering. I plan on cutting back some this coming week. Earth Hour is big news up here today. Toronto is participating in the one hour "lights out" initiative - aimed at taking a stand against climate change - from 8-9pm tonight. It should be interesting to see the downtown core almost completely devoid of lights. There's a big concert at city hall as well, featuring Nelly Furtado, so there should be a big crowd. I'm going to a local Junior hockey game, so I don't think they'll be turning the lights out there. Wishing everyone some great runs this weekend! PJ
      Dave59

Thanks for all the humor this morning. It brightened up and already sunny day. The grand baby came home from the hospital yesterday. I never thought I'd be raising another kid. I have officially put off my "empty nest" fantasies for another 18 years. I managed one mile on the TM at the gym yesterday while I helped my younger daughter through her workout. This morning was 4.1 miles out in the sun. Had 5 miles on my mind when I started but didn't get that far. The runs are short, but I have strung together 3 days in a row for the first time all year.

12 mile run on a beautiful paved trail 20 minutes from home. Perfect brisk & sunny conditions. Right on goal target of 10:20 pace out and 9:40 coming back. DW turned around at 5 for a nice 10 miler. Nono & twocat good luck with tomorrows races. Holly must have been a great girl scout. Big grin Prepare for the worst but I think the rain will wait for you to finish. Had our earth hour Thursday evening when the power went out in 3 towns because of a transformer fire. Missed some good basketball. The only time I follow b-ball is the NCAA tournament. I was going for Wisconsin & Louisville, I think I have a thing for red Big grin You gotta luv Davidson. Have a good weekend all Smile Smile Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

pfriese

Good morning all, A perfect morning here for a long run, 48 degrees, no wind and a very light mist. I joined the OKC Running Club for their OKC Mem Marathon training run this morning in the Edmond Hills. Suprisingly, it was a great run and I even tacked on a couple of extra miles just because it felt so good. Anyways, 16.2 miles @ 9:42/mile pace. Everyone have a great day, Paul

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

A challenging 15 miler for me today. It was suppose to be tomrrow's run, but the weather is looking to great and today the sun is shining. Not really properly fueled for it, nor did I have the mental fuel for it either - but I chugged along and got it done. My oldest daughter is in her first week of C25K. If she sticks with it, she said her plan is to run the Memorial Day 5K with me. That would be so Kewl!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Holly, it was fun reading about your planned run with possible lightning and the humorous responses. However, if lightning becomes a reality during your run, be careful and consider running another day. running, I hope your break from running gets you healed. hopeful, that's neat that your daughter is in C25K and wants to do a 5K with you. Nice long runs for mariposai, Jlynne, PJH (and taper time is here - you'll be ready for that 26.2 by the time the taper is over), Sarge, pfriese, and hopeful. This morning it was about 20 degrees and almost calm. I got in 5 miles in about 47:30 for a 9:30 pace. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                  Dang.....I am missing a good plate of Nachos in Knoxville tonight. Tom White won't donate them to any orphans. The Knoxville Race running group of tomorrow will eat them up. My schedule just couldn't fit in that race this year and it is a shame because that is a great group that is going down there. Jlynne.....you are not alone in seeing the favored Badgers and a good number others, get dumped in the NCAA tournament. Davidson (and particularly Curry), is playing extremely well. Every year that always seems to be a mid-major team that goes far into the tournament to provide some thrills and surprises. The younger brother of Curry has been recruited to play here locally starting next year. Hopefully he will be close to the talent of his older brother. runninginDC......If I make it up to see the blossoms in the next little while, I will be sure to contact you. Hopefully your running is going to be able to be enjoyed real soon. You have had quite the seige with that foot. What is the history of the term "jogging"? I was RUNNING this morning and a little boy pointed at me and her mother said...."Oh that man is JOGGING". For some reason I didn't particularly like the connotation that was implied even though my pace at that stage was such that she might have said I was walking. At one time the use of the word "jogging" seemed to be more popular but I don't seem to hear it as much these days. Can anyone give me a history on this? I ran downtown and back this morning......a total of 11.15 miles. I was pleased with the run. The temperature and particularly the wind, was a bit brutal for the way that I was dressed but I obviously survived. Good racing to those so involved and good runs to the rest.
                  Vista
                    Wow...some serious running out there today...... AND some really COLD ones tooo.... Good luck holly and noruns Paul....You are really gonna race through OKC....go get em.... I was up late last night ....went to a CONCERT ....38 Special....and they were awesome....my ears are still ringing... Out this morning at 6:30 AM...same weather as Paul...about 49 degrees, and a light mist the entire 21 miles.... Almost a Pfitz progression run....but not quite..I will take though....this was the last really LR before Boston...I am PUMPED.... PJH....neat to have that last long one in before Boston..I totally agree....
                    evanflein

Well, I must say I admire all you who get up before the crack of dawn to go run. And I'll be an early runner a bit this summer... can't say before dawn because we really don't have much of that after mid-May... but I WILL get out earlier! Have to... given what I see on our schedule this year for soccer and work, etc, it'll become the only alternative to running at 11 pm (which would be ok too, cuz it'll be light then, too!!). As you can tell, I'm getting spring fever really bad... Was thinking it'd be nice to go out early and get my 10 miles in before things get going around here (we're slow... it's already 9:30 a.m.), but the temp downtown is -4 and up on the hill it's only about +6! Ugh... with highs forecast of about 30, I'll wait a bit. Nonoruns.... does your dog have a name? I'd love to have a dog to run with, but I have Cheyenne. She's over 11 and half husky (a short lived breed usually), she's pretty creaky and sleeps a lot. I took her for a 2+ mile walk last night when the boys were running for soccer, and she slept all night long! Vista, I bet Ribs would have a story on the difference between jogging and running... Holly, good luck tomorrow. Is this the race you did last year that was measured short after flooding made them re-route? Have they verified that it's really 26.2 this year? I'd think a lot of people would be asking about that. Take it easy and remember the big goal is Boston, not this one.... (btw... how'd the house inspection thing go? How was it having DD at work? I hope she surprised you with her good behavior!) ETA: Yeah Tim! Nice run! and I love 38 Special.... I can't wait for my run tomorrow to be over... I want that feeling of "Ahhhh, last one done!" Liz, I think Steve had really good luck with that Strassburg sock... good investment. You've been dealing with this for far too long. Enke, I shaved too. Was expecting spring, but I'm not wearing shorts any time soon... BTB, I am so looking forward to meeting you in Boston! Many others, but you are a special one, for sure. Will run later, may or may not get my computer back. (Oh, and the countertops are installed downstairs and it looks wonderful!!! One more thing to check off)
                      btb1490

You've all been so good lately that I'm declaring this "Diet be Damned" weekend here on the forum. Make this dessert this weekend for yourselves as a reward. It will be the best thing you have ever tasted in your life, I promise. I would book an appointment with your cardiologist ahead of time though, but it's worth it. Gooey Butter Cake Ingredients & Directions: Cake: 1 18 1/4-ounce package yellow cake mix 1 egg 8 tablespoons butter, melted Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Prepare Filling Filling: 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened 2 eggs 1 teaspoon vanilla 8 tablespoons butter, melted 1 16-ounce box powdered sugar In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a little gooey. Yield: 6 to 8 servings Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 40 minutes Ease of preparation: easy

King of PhotoShop

Liz, be of good cheer. During your rest from running, keep doing the other stuff, toe raises, massage, ice, the sock, flexing the foot, etc. I'll be thinking of you. This was a banner week for me, running every day pain-free and getting in 20.5 miles. Yesterday's "twinge" was a false alarm as I did another 3.3 on the dirt track with no discomfort at all. I will declare myself free of injury after I wean myself off the ibu and the post-run icing, but I am so encouraged to be doing these short, slow runs. Vista, you want to see a jogger, you should see my slow pace! Definitely jogging and proud of it! Took the family out to dinner last night and afterwards we shot pool for an hour, then bowled. What fun we had, although I have to wonder at today's kids and their manners. I remember that in any sport I ever participated in when younger, someone always taught us the etiquette of the sport. Today you see golfers shouting to their friends across the fairway, bowlers who get up to the lane and bowl without any notice of the people next to them. Of course we weren't bowling seriously and it didn't bother me; just a social comment, as I am a curmudgeonly old guy. Man, that btb recovers fast doesn't he? Hope this progress continues, as it was good to see that workout of his. Jeanne, you really can do a nice long run can't you? Good effort. Tonight it's farewell to Prime Rib with dinner at P.F. Chang's. He heads back to school tomorrow. Spareribs

I Can Go The Distance

"We"ll be here all weeks folks, have the veal." This thread has really lightened things up today! But seriously folks... Went out at 7 am this morning. Did 6.2 miles in 1:00:59@9:51 pace.That's MP+45sec. My Final Four picks (UNC, Kansas, Texas and UCLA) are still alive. I did however have Wisconsin beating Davidson. Even though it would bust my bracket, I too would like to see Davidson win! Here is some interesting NCAA trivia; right now I am watching the North Carolina/Louisville women's game. Same two teams face off tonight on the men's side. When was the last time that happened? Bruce

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

anachrotech

Good runs and good humor from many posters. My 3 miles this morning was easier that the last couple carpy ones, but I still have trouble getting beyond three. I'll just keep plugging along and take what I can. Good runs all.

Manchild

6.64 miles out in sunny yet windy conditions, temps in the low 40s. Twocat, I've thought about shaving my legs as well, it would certainly match my hairdo. Good luck in your race tomorrow. Vista,PJ and Hopeful, NICE LRs!!! Will Pitino's team prevail? Good luck to all runners and racers this weekend! Chris