Masters Running

Firday's Daily, 12.20.13 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Regarding evening meetings: Most of them are for a variety of volunteer organizations, and most of us have day jobs, so that is the only time we can all meet. I don't mind evening meetings as long as A) they are productive and, B) they are run as efficiently as possible. DW grouses whenever I'm at those meetings, but I think she also likes the fact that I'm trying to move some balls forward.

True cat story:  Decades ago, I had a wonderful cat named Mishima. Whenever I went away for more than a day, leaving him in the apartment on his own, he'd express his displeasure by unrolling the roll of toilet paper onto the floor. Two days ago, I was in the bathroom (without our current kitty), taking a shower. When I got out of the shower, the half roll of toilet paper was unrolled and on the floor. Perplexed, I rolled it back up again and went about my stuff. Two minutes later, I looked over that way, and again, the toilet paper was unrolled and on the floor. This time, I just left it and got out of the bathroom, but not before wondering if Mishima had come back to say hello.

6.9 racewalking miles at 4 o'dark in balmy 33F temps. I can't tell you, after two running workouts earlier this week, how good it felt to be back racewalking again! I run so infrequently these days that it is somewhat uncomfortable to me, and two consecutive runs left me a little achy in places where I don't usually get achy. So, even though I worked hard out there this morning, my body was happy to be back doing what it knows best.

We have our company Christmas party at our house this afternoon, so I'm going to sneak out a little early to finish the final prep. We have a good group, so it should be a fun time.

It looks like Pfriese is the only racer this weekend, so good luck to him!

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

Nobody here yet I see, except for Jay. Good for you to host the party at your house.

3.5 easy miles.  Just need 4 tomorrow for 40. I may volunteer at a local race, then finish up my week. Easy day.

Today is the big day when my son gives the "Ring Speech" to the student body at his school. We're so proud and excited to hear him.  Spareribs

Mariposai

Good luck to the "Ring Speech" giver!

Up early this morning with the Easy Pacer to prepare an 8 pound roast for the office party. The EP is at home today and he decided to be the head cook for the roast and mashed potatoes today. Now that is gift to me since I still have to go to the office to teach a workshop.

I had time only for 15' of stretches and planks.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  Yes, it does seem a little slow.  Especially with one form the left coast chiming in.  Must be some holidays coming up.

Of course, getting up that early to cook a roast for the company Christmas party is well above and beyond the call of duty.

Glad you're back in your comfort zone, Jay.  it did feel nice this morning.  just about 32 when I went out.  Ended up carrying my yaktracs in my waist band because I wasn't sure what I might have found in the way of ice.  So I ended up with a tad over a 10K in somewhat slow, but very satisfying fashion, after missing several days due to travel and a bit of laziness.  right now I stand with 39 miles to go to hit 1000 miles for the year and 11 days to get it in.  I'm hoping the week of vacation coming up will allow me the time to get there.  Somehow, the vision of a New Year's eve run keeps popping into my head.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

right now I stand with 39 miles to go to hit 1000 miles for the year and 11 days to get it in.  I'm hoping the week of vacation coming up will allow me the time to get there.  Somehow, the vision of a New Year's eve run keeps popping into my head.

After this morning's 4.1 mile run at recovery pace, I'm in a very similar position; needing 30.5 miles to make 1,000 for the year.  Somehome I'm going to get it done.  But with the Holidays it is not going to be easy.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

wildchild

Carolyn

Byll and Stumpy,  sometimes it's good to be chasing the pace bunny at the end of the year, to provide motivation.   Last year, I didn't catch the 2000 mile bunny till December 30th, and I had to run 222 miles in December to make it - that was tough!  Fast forward to this year - I passed 2000 miles at the end of November, and I've been a slacker in December, with only 59 miles so far!  No run yesterday, but I'll get out there today for sure.  My legs are still a little sore from last Saturday's Fat Ass run.

Jay, cool story about Mishima and the toilet paper!  I've never been much of a cat person, although I have liked certain individual cats that acted more like dogs.

Posie, you and EP are doing a nice thing for your co-workers!  I hope you also have a veggie option - or do all your co-workers like pot roast?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Henrun

High 30's this morning and bright sun. Went out for a couple of miles in shorts and felt comfortable. Last time I hit the 1000+ mark was 2 years ago. At least I'm running again and will finish the year with 500 +. Supposed to reach the 50's here next 2 days and then back to the cold.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Jay, cool story about Mishima and the toilet paper!  I've never been much of a cat person, although I have liked certain individual cats that acted more like dogs.

That the reason that our TP always comes from the bottom of the roll--it seemed to deter our first cat that liked to do that and it became habit.  And our present cat is my favorite for the dog-like reason.

I'll race you, Byll--not often that I can be that close to you.

Cats?  We're talking cats?  Sweet!!  Goofy and Mr. Mr. absolutely despise each other.  Chico can't decide if he likes Mr. Mr. or not.  There are times when they're both on the bed together and there are times Chico is trying to destroy him.  Ziggy just wants to be left alone and given kitty treats 24 hrs. a day, and Wilson is like Switzlerland - "Can't we all just get along?" - loves to fetch his mice and sleep under the covers with me.  It's freaking cat mania at our house.  Sounds like Erika and I are vying for the same title.

Mmmmm . . . pot roast!!!

Ribs - Congrats to your son.  Have all the buttons popped off the front of your shirt?

Belated Happy Birthday, Tselbs ~ ~ ~

Did my 6 miles last night after work on a stretch of road that was, for the most part, safe (read: w-i-d-e).  I was able to take side trips through a couple of side neighborhoods, which helped; however, ONCE AGAIN I reminded myself of why I don't like to run after work.  Traffic, traffic, traffic.  And it was a darker area than I am used.  Note to self: Stop being lazy and get yer butt outta bed!

This morning it was a 45 min cold strength/core workout out in the shed.  Brrrrr!  Never got warm enough to even work up a sweat!

Have a great Friday, friends ~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

sunkid

Speaking of cats, ours left me a present this morning on the living room carpet. One less rat in the yard, I guess. Funny, he never got into the toilet paper though. That would be our five year old son's job, actually.

Feeling disappointed about my hamstring strain, but optimistic that I can recover quickly. Icing immediately off and on for a while yesterday seems to have helped already and all I now have is a very minor discomfort while walking. Won't try running on it (and then only slowly) until tomorrow afternoon though.

Happy Friday!

Dave59

5 easy miles in some freezing drizzle and sleet.  All the schools are closed, but the screw-shoes worked great.

Stumpy - I'm 32 miles from 1000 but we are traveling from the 25th through the end of the year (and spending time with family.)  I have 4 more days to get as much done as I can and then hope I finish the rest on our trip.  I could be running on a hotel treadmill on the 31st.  Or if we make it home on the 31st, I could be out there running until the fireworks go off in town.

Or if our hotel is in a good running spot I could finish up the 1000 easy.  You never know.

Sunkid - Don't know if this is your first rodeo with a hamstring, but please be careful.  They are notoriously hard to heal.  If you can, rotate ice andheat - 20/20 - to help with blood flow to the area, and don't attempt running until you have no pain.  Soft tissue injuries heal very slowly, and a hamstring injury, if not respected, can become a chronic issue.

Just my 2 cents worth ~

I vote that Dave CAN get in the final 32 for his 1000.  Let's go, Dave!!

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave, Stumpy and Byll  GO FOR IT!!!  1000, 1000, 1000.

Ribs, enjoy the ceremony....and try to keep your eyes dry.

We had 1 inch, yes a whole inch of snow overnight and they cancelled school.  Kids were very happy!  They said they only cancelled it because of the traffic accidents.  Yup, only in the PNW.  One inch.  Half melted already.

So I decided to stay home with the kids, and I went out for 4 miles in the....drumroll.....one inch of slushy snow.  It was fun.

I have had a bit of pain in my heel, not far from my arch, last night I felt a swelling there, is this PF?  Today the lump feels smaller.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay – ghost kitty maybe? Our cat, Max, doesn’t unroll toilet paper, but he is in the habit of knocking items off tables and shelves onto the floor. Just casually reaches out and bats them right off. No reason that I can tell.

Ribs – fine son you have there, for sure.

Mariposai – can I come over for dinner?

Stumpy – it is the craziest thing, but when I am looking at the thread and I see your avatar out of the side of my view, I always see the face of a black and white dog, like a Border Collie. Something about the lights and darks of the photo when not looking spot on. (I am NOT saying you look like a dog, just the whole photo and background make that shape somehow.)

Sunkid – sounds like you are doing the right thing for it, but Fatozzig makes a good point.

Enke – and I bet the grocery stores were crazy busy with people stocking up, in case they got stuck at home for the winter….

Today was supposed to be weights and core, but I woke up to 48 degrees, so I had to get outside for a run.  Not as far as I would have liked, because I had to go into work a little early, but still got to get out in it for a bit.  Felt wonderful, even if it was extremely windy.

4 easy-paced miles for me this morning

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

No offence taken.  I like border collies.