Masters Running

Tuesday June 7 Daily Thread (Read 414 times)

Tramps

We can’t let the left-coast folks do all the work.  Time to start the daily.

10.3 miles for me on a humid but not too bad morning.  I’ve been running lots of hills over the last month and I can finally feel the benefit as they get a little easier, even on warm days.

Have a good one!

Be safe. Be kind.

BTY

Good Morning Tramps.  Nice hills. 

Today was my first morning track workout of 2011. I've been wanting to start doing them again for a while but the thought of changing the alarm from 5:00 AM to 4:45 AM has been the barrier to entry. Went ahead and did it this morning and was glad to get that first one in the books.

5 miles including 3 miles alternating 600m Cruise Intervals with 200 meters at what was supposed to be easy running pace, but was really closer to recovery pace.  Too early in the morning and too early in the season to attempt the actual prescribed pace between intervals; more important just to git'er done.

Off to Poughkeepsie theis morning for an afternoon meeting.  Good day to be in a nice airconditioned car.

Good day and good runs all.

bd 

Slo

It seems I'm finally getting acclimated to the weather change. Pace is back, the effort level is lowered and I don't feel like I've just been thru the wash machine. 6 easy sweaty miles.

We have an out of town wedding this weekend in Milwaukee. I'd sure like to make a 3 day weekend out of it but to many scheduling conflicts. I haven't even bothered to check to see if the Brewers are in town. I should probably considering doing my long-ish run on Saturday. I have a feeling I won't feel like running much Sunday.

Greta runs !

Dave59

4 miles running and a good workout at the gym. 

Busy day at work.

After my 10k pr, since I had been going to the gym for exactly 6-months, I posted a little bit on the gym's Facebook page: "6-months, 28 pounds lighter, and a 4-minute personal best 10k race."  And then I thanked a few of the people.  The guy who got me started, the trainer that worked with me, and the owner for showing me MyFitnessPal.com.  I didn't think anything of it, but this morning, a week after I posted, people must have started to see it.  I try to just be Mr. Invisible at the gym, but today people were asking me about the latest race (having seen me there), another guy does a "fist-bump".  (Is that what it is called?  The 21st century version of the high-5?)  The trainer who barely says hello anymore comes up to me to see how it's going and to tell me about his upcoming competition.

I was a celebrity this morning. 

I'm going to need to find a new gym.

Good morning everyone, I figured I better post while I have a few minutes otherwise it will be another day missed.

First a big  congrats to Erika, Holly & Mariposai great races ladies!  And Mari I'm with the crowd, never give up, I've always been one to believe that you can do anything you set your mind to.

My running is going pretty good and I feel like I'm getting a bit faster again, so I ended up jumping into a 5K this weekend to see where I was - I set a goal of 21:00 and was quite pleased with the results.  I have a 3 miler this Friday evening and will be shooting for something sub 20 hopefully closer to 19:30 give or take.

Sundays race:

3.1 Miles - 20:54 (6:41) - Kennebunk Beach Classic 5K  

OA - 22 / 258
            AG - 3 / 27
            Age Graded - 10th with a time of 17:33

They gave out awards to the top 3 male and female finishers and then the top 15 Age Graded male and female finishers.

HermosaBoy

Nice race Maine and congrats on the celebrity status Dave.

4.6 mile swim, I mean run with Miss Rosie this morning.  Already hot and humid (which I don't care for) at 5:30 AM.

Supposed to do a hill workout tonight -- that should be fun...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

lamerunner

Good morning, another beauty here in the northeast. It is supposed to get warm this afternoon and humid again tomorrow but I don't have any races planned for a bit so it is ok ( not that anyone consulted me...).  There is a fun 5k Thursday night  in Hollis, but we have too much graduation stuff to do  for me to disappear and my legs are likely not ready for a decent 5k.

Just a quick 5 miles this morning in new shoes. Always nice to freshen up the cushioning. I will try to get a swim in at lunch too. Just taking it as it comes for a few weeks.  I would like to get in some hikes too.

Leslie, great job on the pool running! you are going to be in great shape. Nice work on the hills, Tramps, and great race for Maine!

Happy Tuesday!

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning!  It's supposed to hit 100 degrees here in the Twin Cities, today.  I'll be in a car heading to Utah, though!  This will be a very interesting week.  I have no idea how anything is going to turn out. 

I've never done back-to-back marathons before and I go back and forth as to how to approach the first one.  The second one, I'll just do the best I can--I'm just counting on being able to loosen up after the first couple of miles.

The biggest unknown, of course, will be how will 38 hours in a car with a kid that doesn't like me very much go.  Of course, like somebody said yesterday--he must want to spend time with me if he agreed to go.  I hate having these feelings about my own son, but I can't help wondering what he's "up to".  Is he hitching a free ride out west?  I'm afraid to even carry cash with me because he might steal it and take off.  I don't allow him to smoke around me, so he will have to sneak off at times to do that...although, I have no idea where he gets his cigarettes from. 

And--why am I driving?  1238 miles one way!  That's a long way to be driving!  What the heck was I thinking?

Okay...sorry...I'll stop, now. 

Have a great day!  Stay cool!

lamerunner

P.S. Mike, we posted at the same time, but I wanted to wish you a good trip. You never know with teenagers. Could be a long hard drive or you could have some good talks. It is encouraging he agreed to go with you. We have not done a family trip in three years or so becuase DD would not want to go with us    and we won't leave her alone.  I am hopeful that will change some day. I miss our family hikes and such.

Good luck with the two marathons too! If nothing else, you will have an adventure.

Mariposai

Thanks for starting the thread Tramps. Hills are our friend!Wink BTW, I really enjoyed the movie "even the rain" you recommended in the movie thread.. Great suggestion from you, as always.

Great to see mainrunner here! Did your new grad found nursing work, yet?

A wedding and a visit to a brewery sounds fun slo-hand. While in Newport we visited the Rogue, a well known brewery company in the PNW. This was the perfect party place for our carboloading before the race.

2 easy miles this early morning. Legs are feeling great, but they are still reminding me that we just ran 26.2 miles on the weekend...so post marathon recovery in progress. With a low mile week in mind, I am looking forward to enjoying the cool mornings on the porch or in my garden as I did this morning. 

Once again, thanks for your comments and support yesterday. What a great group of folks we have here.

Tetsujin, I would not miss the Seattle Rock and Roll for anything! DS#1 and I are really looking forward to our victory lap together. BTW, his training is going well. Since we are looking at about 5:30 to 6 hours run and dancing I am not worried, just yet, about the fact that we have yet to run a 20 miler. He was aiming to do it this past weekend, but he was sick...keeping my finger's cross for this weekend. 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

HermosaBoy

MikeE, do you at least have SOME similar taste in music with your son?  You could bond over old progressive rock music or modern day rap?  Wink

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

wildchild

Carolyn

Mike, I was gonna say the same thing as Rob - listen to whatever music your DS likes.   If you can tolerate it, that is.   DD and I mostly like the same music, so we always crank up the tunes and sing when we're driving together.  Her dad doesn't like the same music, though, so it's less fun when he's in the car.   Also, sometimes when we're on long road trips we listen to books on CD. 

Tramps, good job on the hills!  I'm also feeling stronger after running lots of mountain trails lately.  Getting too hot to run in the flatlands so I'm getting my mountain legs back.

Dave, congrats on the celebrity status, and on the 28-pound weight loss!  Maybe your fitness center can give you the next 6 months free for being their poster boy!

Maine, speedy 5k!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow--I really did not intend to dominate the daily thread with my personal issues but I really do appreciate everybody's concern.  Yeah--my son's and my musical tastes are pretty far apart.  But, it's kind of cool that, when he hears something that he thinks I'll like, he tells me about it and we'll listen to it together.  I've bought a few CD's because of suggestions from him.  I even bought concert tickets for the two of us to Jason Mraz because I thought he really liked him...nope.  I ended up giving them away.  He wanted to start a band and be a "screamer".  I found and got him into "screaming" lessons.  What the heck is screaming?!  I will listen to whatever he wants to listen on our trip if it will help us grow closer...I might even find something I like...maybe...

Dave, I don't know whether to congratulate you on your celebrity status or not.  I think it's neat but I understand how you don't care for the attention.  Definitely congrats are due for your progress.  maine, nice, speedy 5K.  Mike, good luck with your long drive, marathons, and your son.

Nice long run for Tramps (with hills) and good job on the speedwork for BTY.

This morning, it was about 70°, humid, and almost calm.  I got in 8 miles in a bit under 1:24 for a 10:27 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Dave59

Dave, I don't know whether to congratulate you on your celebrity status or not.  I think it's neat but I understand how you don't care for the attention. 

It was a fun morning but I'm not worried.  I'm sure it was a 1-day thing.  The big (gym sponsored) lifting competition comes soon and all the focus will be there. It was nice to meet some of the people who I sweat next to.  Usually we all move around with our headphones on in our own little worlds.

Mike E - Just be yourself.  Maybe something will click. Maybe it'll years from now before you find out what type of influence the trip had on your son.  As for the back-to-back marathons and the long drive I have no thoughts other than, "I'm glad it's not me." Joking