Masters Running

Wednesday 3/18/15 Runs and Whatnot (Read 36 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Afternoon!

Too busy to talk, but no run again - 55 minutes on the bike trainer watching Grantchester.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Wow, where is everyone?

Pardon the personalized shout out, but hey Trackrat... Jim Madonna passed away at the Senior Games in Nevada. Story here.

So very sad. I loved seeing Jim at all the local races and will miss him.

Nice day on tap here. This week has finally shaped up. We'll probably see upper 30's or 40° later this afternoon. I'll go run then.

It was still mid-30's for my run and I overheated quite a bit. Gotta figure out this "warm weather" running thing again. 

I know what you mean, Erika. I find that I can dress a lot lighter when it first rises into the 30s this time of year than when it first drops there in November. And I wish I were capable of running in the late afternoon or evening, but...

I guess I did "whatnot" today, just doing some light jogging on the TM and a round of machines at the gym. Waiting now for an estimate from the heating guy on what it will cost to move the gas line so we can replace our stove.

An outdoor run planned for tomorrow morning, then another 5K on Saturday. Be good, everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

This morning it was . . . it was . . . sniff . . . sniff . . . I can hardly type . . . waabhhhh . . .   . . . it was SNOWING!  Waahhhh!!!   Fortunately, it was an elliptical day for me!

TammyinGP I have seen training plans that more or less set your track VO2 workout pace at your 5k pace and your tempo pace at HM pace.  I imagine that will be pretty close to what you would get from McMillan.

evanflein yes, once again your warm weather is costing me degrees!  We are going back into the 20's.  At least it will warm into the 30's during the day.  In the future, please keep your freezing cold weather in Alaska where it belongs.  Thank you.  This has been a public service announcement.

SteveP have you thought of just making an offer to your old employer that you could not refuse?  Something like pay me X and I will say yes.  If you have not given it a shot, who knows it might work and if it does you would be pretty happy to take the spot!

roachrunner I actually keep a file on Evernote that has listed what I should wear for running in all cooler temperatures.  It took some experimenting but my list is now really accurate and I am never dressed too heavy or light when I go out.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

roachrunner I actually keep a file on Evernote that has listed what I should wear for running in all cooler temperatures.  It took some experimenting but my list is now really accurate and I am never dressed too heavy or light when I go out.

We really are a bunch of geeks around here, aren't we?  I could see doing that, but do you track all conditions? For example, 40F and sunny is a whole lot different around here from 40F and overcast, not to mention the wind factor. Being a morning runner, I also run into the problem at this time of year of having it go up a good 10 degrees just in the time that I'm out there. As a rule, I generally follow an old friend's sage advice to "dress for the finish, not the start."

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Congratulations on your job becoming permanent, Posie!  With benefits - a blessing!

Yeah, SteveP, make them an offer you can't refuse.  Unless, of course, you are very happy with where you're working now.  . . . Hey - maybe the two jobs would get into a bidding war over you.  It could be a plus!

Sorry about the weather that shall not be spoken of, Twokitty.   Does it help if I say it was chilly here this a.m.???

4 miles this a.m. that were reduced to almost a crawl a few times because I needed to go to the bathroom so bad.  Dang it!

My back was bothering me so much when I got home yesterday that I finally gave in and took a whole muscle relaxer.  Within about 15 minutes it felt better, but not completely better.  (Maybe it's because the muscle relaxers expired 2 years ago!)  I'm trying to remember to take ibu on a regular basis to quell any inflammation that might be going on.  It's hard to complain about my back hurting when The Hub's entire body hurts after a day of work.  He looked - and was - thoroughly exhausted when I got home yesterday.

And on the issue of back problems, I've actually put on my work computer calendar a timer to go off every 1.5 hrs so I get up, walk around the office, do some squats, some leg swings, and work on my push-ups.  Otherwise, I find myself sitting for 2-3 hours at a time.  Here are a couple of articles on how bad sitting is for us.

Runner's World

Harvard Business Review

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Well, you may or may not recall how I had a grand time visiting my former college roomie in DC last year (she's a middle school science teacher.)  I went twice.  In March, I ran the Reston Marathon (where I'm hoping to see Tramps this year),  Last year, even tho the race is the end of March, we had snow/sleet at the end.  Rain at the start.

So this year, you figure, the luck of the Irish, maybe......again, that weekend, forecast is for rain/snow.  I'm going to go with it's too far out to predict.  La la la and all that.

My owies from falling and skinning my knees were chatting with me this am so my 9 miles were very stately.  Indeed.

So the Iditerod and the Israeli elections both seem to be finished....er is that right??

Interested to see what you think about tw's idea, Steve.  Say, we met a nice couple, Alphonso and Cathleen, last night.  And Sammy.  Alphonso was wearing his batman shirt and Sammy was definitely into avenging, so we chatted and I told 'em about you and Tag.  They were very interested and said to pass along their greetings.

Good hump day, all.  I know, it's old, but it doesn't feel old, it feels good, as in, the weekend's close enough to anticipate!!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

evanflein

Well I'm really close to the weekend since we're off on Friday for our Spring Break holiday! The joys of working for a university...

Amy, the Iditarod has a winner, but it's far from over. There are still many teams out on the trail and we'll have stories of their journey in our news for the next several days.

Twocat... really? The evernote thing...

coastwalker

Slow day, eh?

I hope it's "good" busy, Holly.

Nice forecast, Evanflein - enjoy!

Nice whatnot, Roch.

I also use Evernote, Twocat, but not to keep track of what to wear in all conditions. It's more fun to guess what the right cobo is, and more satisfying when I guess right.

Leslie, I've grown to love my stand-up desk (which did not cost an arm and a leg). It has been about 3-4 years since I sat at a desk all day, and I'm happier being on my feet.

I agree Aamos - the weather can change between Wednesday and the weekend. Of course, it can also stay the same too! Just a few days ago, I heard someone refer to Thursday as "Little Friday." I like that.

Man, the wind was howling all night and into the morning! It was window-rattling, house-shaking wind. I had no interest in doing the branch dance in that kind of wind, especially with the temps in the low 20s without the wind factor. I've been a complete wus this week. I guess I've just had enough of working out on carpy roads in chilly and challenging weather, and I'm OK with that.

Have greta hump day - what's left of it.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Aamos, doing 4 races for 30.4 miles is impressive.  Tall, great to hear from you.  evan, sorry I missed your Sunday's run.  Nice long run, Mike.

I've been fighting a cold/cough/sore throat since last weekend.  In addition to not feeling like I would prefer, it's kept me from sleeping well for several nights.  Yesterday, I did get out for 5 "paper bag" miles.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

...Happy Mule Day..............I hadn't thought of that in years,

fatozzip//.........those muscle relaxers will be ok, take 'em on an empty stomach if you want them to work faster....

==========

3-rd poolrun of the week

30-min deep end only, with belt

..................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

fatozzip//.........those muscle relaxers will be ok, take 'em on an empty stomach if you want them to work faster....

Thanks, Tom.  And I did . . . maybe that's why I dropped the entire contents of my burrito on the floor while moving it from one counter to the other prior to rolling it up.

TSelbs - No such thing as "paper bag miles."  If you're putting out the effort, it's all good.

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

No run today since I succumbed to the deep freeze and heavy winds. However I'm heading out for my nightly  1 mile+ walk this evening (while Marj is at her class).. Usually we both do a nightly walk when we don't have evening plans. When I don't  do my walk I have a poor night's sleep.

Speaking of walking, I'm reading an interesting book "the Last Great Walk" by Wayne Curtis. It's the true story of a 1909 walk from New York to San Francisco during the age of pedestrianism. There's much "preaching" by the author and some anti-running discussion but a good read.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Tonight was my dreaded tempo run night.  I did okay, though.  1.5 miles in 11:42.  10 miles in 1:06:55.  1.5 miles in 12:25.  It was 47 at the start and only dropped to 45 by the end...but I was still cold during that long 1.5 miles to get home.  Very little wind for a change, which was nice.

I'm under a lot of pressure at work to get a project done.  I've been working long hours during the week and going in on the weekends.  Today, I set a goal to have a certain amount done before the end of the day...I got half way there.  There is no way I'll get this thing done on time.

That's my grumble for the day...thanks for listening.

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

I have been keeping notes on Evernote for some time regarding running, clothing and weather.  By now the notes are quite detailed.  My advice is to just log a note when something works out really well.  Something like sunny, mid 30's wear X, Y and Z.  Pretty soon (as in a year or so) you will cover most conditions as well as clothing combinations and that will be that.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/