Masters Running

Saturday, 6/18 running, racing, walking, XT & life events (Read 459 times)

Mariposai

With the rising sun on my left and the still now covered mountain peaks on my right off I go for a run! While most of the souls in the blessed town are still sleeping!

Enjoy the day folks!

Go racers gooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

06/17 & 18 Breger1- Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay

06/17 & 18 dg. - Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay

06/17 & 18 CNYrunner - Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay

06/17 & 18 Opie -  Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay, Utah

06/17 & 18 egret - Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay, UT

06/17 & 18 Econo - Wasatch back Ragnar Relay, UT

06/18 TammyinGP - Grandma's Marathon, Duluth, MN

06/18 evanflein - Midnight Sun Run 10k

06/18 hermosas boys - Garry Bjorklund half marathon

06/18 Dove - Vashon Island 50k, Vashon Island WA

Carpe Diem

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good morning Mariposai and all masters ! 

Too hot for racing...  69F @ 7am  77 when done at 8:30  Hopefully cooler at the races...  

8.2 miles slow & pokey Smile w/DW  now she goes to golf with & supervise the 9-11 yr old golf league Roll eyes It's pretty crazy! 

Me... I get to cut the grass Joking

Great Weekend Everyone!!! 

ps. 9 work days to RETIREMENT Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

...sarge//....that has got to be a WeirdFeeling, what are you planning After Retirement??

=======

...30min poolrun............trailrun tomorrow....ohboyohboy

NewComputer and NewProgram switch-over

after work,

I'll need a run

to shake that off.

.................good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Hope the racers are having a blast this weekend.

Sarge—congrats on the impending retirement!  More time for running!

A warm and muggy one here for my 16-miler (8:51). Sopping wet at the end.  As I was fading in the final mile, an appropriate Allman Brothers song came on my iPod to make me smile:

Sometimes I feel

Sometimes I feel

Like I’ve been t—i—e—d to the whipping post.

T—i—e—d to the whipping post.

T—i—e—d to the whipping post.

Good lord, I feel like I’m dyin’  Smile

Be safe. Be kind.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

One of my best life events happened 23 years ago today when my baby girl was born. It was an exciting event too as I almost had her in our minivan! So, 6 happy miles this morning.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Mariposai

Tramps, good 16 miler for you there in such temps. Funny, I was listening to the Midnight Rider last night.

sarge, great news about retirement! What next?

happy b-day to Mary's DD.

Erika, love ya girl!!! go girl go!!! Have fun in your 10k tonight!

Tamster should be crossing her half marathon around this time. Go tamsters! I am so excited for her.

I wanna run trails with tomwhite. 

Those ragnar folks are sure having a blast!

Well, mission accomplished. Last LR before Seattle Rock and Roll with DS#1 and divechief next weekend. The goal was to run easy for 2:30 hours. It was such a great run. Some rolling hills, a little bit of trail running, around a mile. One of those runs that you just let the legs do their thing and you just go along for the ride. 13.2 miles and now it is time to taper again!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, Happy 23rd Birthday to your DD!

Tramps, nice sweaty 16 miler, and that song was funny!

I did a RAW yesterday - traffic was all backed up so I stopped at a trail in town and ran 3 miles, 9:23 avg pace, but when I got back on the road half an hour later, traffic was still backed up.  Angry  Should have run longer.  But I had to get home to cook dinner.  Still, nice to run fast on a flat trail for a change (been running in the mountains since it's gotten hot, but last night a thunderstorm had come through to cool things down.)

Enke, good luck with the interview!  What's the job? 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Thanks TW,  I have 3 part-time jobs lined up, 2 are about 10-15 hours a week & I'll decide in August which one I'll take starting  in Sept. Yes , I'm taking off July & August.  The other job will be a reserve deputy so I can continue to work concerts at the auditorium that I've been head of security for 25 years, that is only about 15 evenings per year.  I'm going to do a lot of umpiring in July & travelling in August.  I'm trying to plan a bike ride to D.C. in August (400 miles).  No plan to run more, 3 days a week is working great so I will stick with it, at least this year. 

Tramps at least the legs would get to rest while you're tied to the whipping post, Big grin nice run today!

Happy day Mary!!!Smile 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – Happy Birthday do your DD!

Sarge – Happy Retirement!  Nice that you still have stuff to do, but more time to relax as well.

Mariposai – you are going to have so much fun next weekend!  I look forward to hearing about it.

Erika – good running, sistah!

Ragner folks - looking forward to hearing about it!

9.05 miles for me this morning in 74º and 93% (ave 10:22). 

I really want to get back to lower body weights but I’ve been having some nagging hamstring pain in my right leg off and on for a while.  Very mild, and I don’t feel it when I’m running, but later in the day it starts aching slightly, and it hurts some when I drive (my pedal foot).  I don’t know if it’s anything to worry about but I’m afraid squats and lunges might not be a good idea at the moment.

Early dinner plans at PF Changs with DH to celebrate a combo wedding anniversary (it's Monday)/Father's Day - basically an excuse to eat out.  Wink  Later in the evening is DD's end of season softball pool party (although we still have tournaments next week).

Enjoy the day!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Well if this is a contest PBJ, Mike E. and enkephalin in three days it will my DW and mine's 28 wedding anniversary.  I thought of several quips and realized none would ever do me any good if spotted by my DW so that is all I am going to say here!  Tight lips  Alas, I will be at a conference that day.  This is the last year I have to go to this thing!  On July 1 I term limit out of my job as executive editor of the journal I am running!  Big grinBig grinBig grin  You have no idea how happy I am about that!!!  In any case, the journal holds various board meetings, dinners and receptions at this conference which is why I have to go.  The only thing that saves me is my DW knew when I took the job this was going to be an annual problem.  So, instead of celebrating on our anniversary we have been doing so either the weekend before or after.  This year it is after, next Friday we are going to dinner at what I think is the best restaurant in CT.

Sarge the nine days will go fast!  But all those jobs lined up?  Some retirement!  Sounds like you may be putting in as many hours "retired" as you are now!

hopeful4ever enjoy the day celebrating your DD's birthday!

wildchild yep misery loves company!  Reading your post about the traffic made me smile thinking about my day yesterday.  When I got home I told my DW it must have been "Connecticut highway construction day."  What a mess both into and back from my workplace office!  Ugh!

My DW went off on a 12 mile run today so it looks like she is set to go for next Sunday's HM.  She started with a friend of hers.  At about mile 9 her friend had to peel off due to leg cramps.  My DW then finished the last three miles on her own.  The fact that she did not quit when her friend stopped means she really is in the shape she needs to be to do the race.  Oh yes, if I do find that cheer leading outfit there will be NO pictures.  Wise guys!  Joking

As I basically expected, running is still a "no can do" sport for me.  I managed about a half mile before deciding I would be better off walking back to the car and going home.  I can semi-run with something of a stiff ankled gait.  But as soon as I try to use the foot the ankle starts to hurt after a few strides.  Alas, the doctor originally told me three months to heal.  I suspect he will prove to be right and that I have about two more weeks to go before I can really run again.  Once I got to the gym I got on the elliptical.  Managed about 40 seconds and decided I could not face a session on it.  For Plan B I went over to the TM and walked on it for a bit.  Better than nothing.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...twocat//.......I tore out

some ankle ligaments a decade ago and developed

The GBC Training Method

every Sunday

I would

go over to the padded infield

at the FootBall Stadium and take off jogging

if it Hurt,

I GotBackintheCar (GBC)

til

one day I finished the run.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh yes, if I do find that cheer leading outfit there will be NO pictures.  Wise guys!  Joking

Big grin

Darn it, Twocat, I hate it when the doctor's dire predictions turn out to be true.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

5K this morning.  My plan is to race every two weeks throughout the summer.

Wedding to go to tonight.  The oldest daughter of this couple we know got married last year and we gave her a substantial financial gift.  Now ths is the second daughter.  Uh oh.  And there are two more daughters after this one.  I wasn't thinking I guess.

Nap this afternoon.  

Best wishes on your retirement Sarge.   Spareribs

Dave59

No internet at the bed & breakfast and very spotty connection on my phone, but I am temporarily connected at my daughter's apartment.  Came to Green Bay to see my daughter in her summer internship and her boyfriend who has a summer internship at the same place.  Had a great ti]our of the facilities where they work yesterday evening.  I met a friend of Jlynne who works in an office near my daughter.

This morning I did 6 miles along the Fox River Trail.  It runs right behind the place we are staying.  I saw some of the markings from the Cellcom Marathon.  I think one of them was the 20 mile mark. 

Now it is just seeing the sites while eating too much.

We decided that rather than drive all the way back tomorrow, we are going to take a Ferry back across Lake Michigan,  It takes 4 hours to cross by boat.  We'll have an less than an hour drive to pick up the Ferry and another 2.5 - 3 hours of driving once we're back in Michigan so overall it'ss be the same as driving the whole 8 hours around the lake, but I think this will be more fun.

Anniversaries, birthdays, retirements, races - whew!  It's a full day today!

Holly - Take care of that hammy.  Those little suckers are hard to get happy once they become unhappy.

I finally dragged myself out of bed a little after 7:00.  Did 1.25 hrs of core/strength, the 30 min of stationary cycling while watching "The Family Stone."  My foot feels much better today, but I need to work on gently stretching the AT.  Seems it sort of seized up while I was on crutches, even though I moved my foot around a lot.  It's the one thing that's keeping me from walking "normal."

I apologize for this long post, but I needed to get this off my chest:

Had an interesting outing today.  As some of you may remember, my husband lost his job the first part of April due to issues with his alcoholism.  He worked at a local home building supply store for over 20 years.  Since he was fired, we haven't heard from one single person down there.  Although I logically I understand why, emotionally, it's been a hard thing for me to deal with.

Today, I screwed up the courage and went to the store to return a book we had borrowed from one of the folks.  I was a bit shaky, but I was determined to hold my head up, walk in, give the book back, and walk out like nothing had ever happened, and I am proud to say I did exactly that.  The owner of the book was with a customer, so I didn't get to say anything to him.  However, not one person said a single word to me, even though I know folks saw me.

After that, I went to Costco.  About halfway through my shopping, I hear, "Leslie!"  And coming toward me is a guy named Lou who has worked with my husband for 20 years.  Several years ago, Lou almost lost his job due to his alcoholism.  He is now years sober and doing great.  He came up to me, looked me square in the eyes, asked about Shorty and how he was doing, then said, "Tell him if he ever needs to talk, to call me.  And tell him I miss him."

After Costco, I went to Winco and ran into yet another co-worker.  The difference between the two meetings was very interesting.  He asked about Shorty then said, "It's a tragedy.  It's a real tragedy."  For once in my life, I didn't seize up.  I looked him in the eye and said, "He's in his third month in rehab, and he's doing great.  If nothing else, he's becoming a better person and I'm proud of him."  I then said goodbye and walked away.

I've always wondered how I would handle it when I started meeting people from his former employment.  I refuse to let anyone take this and twist it into something "tragic."  Yes, we've hit a landmine, and we have a long, hard road in front of us.  And yes, our lives are going to change dramatically.  We are even faced with the possibility of selling our home and moving.  But the single most important thing out of all this is my husband is getting sober.  Nothing else matters, and I won't let anyone take that joy away from me.

Thanks for listening.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance