Masters Running

40's on the run (week of Sept 7-13) (Read 382 times)

Leslie - your bosses sound more schmucky every day. Angry Arla
    They're actually really great and I'm very spoiled here, but boy howdy, do they have their moments. But come on, they're guys! Big grin Big grin Big grin

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Cindy - Are you consuming anything besides fluids when doing those higher miles? What about Mairead? This a good thread that got started on Kickrunners re running with dogs: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36959. .
      A bit...I have a "Halloween bowl" of GU's, shot blocks, sport beans & the like that we've gathered from various races/events + some I've purchased to try...also an assortment of energy/granola/protein bars & various sport drinks - Gatorade is most plentiful since TRR (!) I got some leftovers pkgs to bring home...SO! we always have something along...yesterday I had a light mix of Gatorade in the camelback (forgot to check how much I'd consumed), coupla GU's, 1.5 pkgs of sport beans & a granola bar afterwards...then I got a protein boosted Jamba Juice about an hour later...Mairead just had water & a few pieces of jerky ~ she usually hits the food bowl pretty good w/in hour of getting back...
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        Just FYI - My friend, Karen, gives this to Charlie before and after our runs, and she says she's seen a marked improvement in him.

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Just FYI - My friend, Karen, gives this to Charlie before and after our runs, and she says she's seen a marked improvement in him.
          Thanks for the info Leslie,this looks very interesting.Charlie is a lab isn't he? How far does Karen run with him? In all temps? I have backed off Buddy's mileage a lot lately.Mostly because of the heat and humidity but I have to admit (and I thought this would be much farther down the road) I have been out running him lately. Over long distances that is,he can still kick my butt chasing bunnies! Máiréad seems to be handling summer better than Buddy ( 18 miles is great) but I think it's cooler up Cindy's way. I have kept him under 7 miles or so,and sometimes a lot less.The temps of fall and winter will tell me a lot more.

Charlie is less than 2 years old. He's a black lab. He goes out with her on all her runs. During the week, those are no more than 6 miles. On Saturdays, we run for hours instead of miles. This Saturday we're scheduled to run 2.75 hours, which will probably equate to somewhere between 12 and 14 miles. It's a lot cooler here than where you all are. If it gets to 70, it's considered quite warm. Plus, where we run in the trees, there's plenty of water for him to drink while we're out there. Another thing she never does is feed him before we run. Something about the stomach can swing and twist. She gives him a certain amount of the k9power before we go out, then mixes it with his dry food when we get back. She swears she's seen a difference in him since she started using the stuff. If you would like more information, I know she'd be more than happy to email you. Feel free to email me at fatozzig@yahoo.com.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

The heat factor, more than anything else, determines how far I take Máiréad. Well, me too - to a point! Yes, it is generally cooler here than on the 'right" coast, I think. and I try to go out as early as we can manage & as shady a trail as is necessary in order to reduce direct sunlight time....So far, I haven't done anything special, other than building her slowly ~ no choice, I can't go that far yet! I plan my longer runs w/water - creek stops...others I carry enough water & a soft bowl tucks into my waist pack's outer bungee...I "free feed" all of my dogs as they have different needs & our schedule has sooo much flex to it..Pomeranians eat 3 kernels 12 X's per day! ..they seem to do well on that. Máiréad, of her own volition, doesn't eat much till after our morning run...and she pretty much lays around until we go! I am curious about the products & what kind of benefits to be gained....saved the link. Joe: Buddy will let you know when he's 'done!' they just stop! Máiréad did @ the Slacker HM...thankfully, it was about 50' past the finish line! lol! took about 5 mins before she'd let us move her to a better 'spot'... it had heated up pretty quickly & once we left the service road we were in direct sunlight for about 5 miles.... my running partner's blue heeler was completely unfazed! she chases sheep all day!.......I'm betting that Buddy may well be even more durable than Máiréad for distance...her Lab DNA seems to be sub to the Deerhound...Misty (purebred Lab) can go much further than Máiréad....anyway, cattle dogs can generally go ALL day! like Labs, they were bred for endurance.. I be a bit stiff & achey this am....have track drills @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre this eve! Shocked I'd better save my energy for that! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Rocks_Amphitheatre
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                Happy Hump Day! Cindy - Love your new pic of Mairead. It's amazing the wonderful dog she's become in such a short time. Have you had her a year yet? Joe - We're going to be running a new 14-mile trail in a couple of weeks, and Charlie won't be going with us. We don't know the territory, we don't know how warm it'll be up on the mountain, and there's no extra water. It would suck to get part way through the run and have him crap out on us. He's too big to carry! Smile 6-mile progression run this a.m. The last 1/2 mile was a bit of a struggle, but I just kept telling myself, "You're almost there. You're almost there. Just run until this song ends. You're almost there." Even powered my way up the last little hill. My best pace was at 7:04 - but that was on the downhill slope. However, I did glance at my watch at about that 1/2 mile mark and I was doing around an 8:48 pace. . . . . man I hate speed work. I know it's necessary, but that doesn't endure my heart to it any more. 'Nother MAT session during lunch. Not sure what kind of progress I was suppose to have been seeing this past week, but we'll see. My left hip flexor hasn't tightened up on me in a few days, so that's progress.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Leslie: will be one year on Halloween. have to get her a doggie cake! Doug & I were just discussing last night how different she is from when we got her....much more confident - at least around us! Wink her body position is much more relaxed & confident, she lays around the house like she owns it (one of my clients calls her "Sheba")...barks at strangers in the yard instead of cowering, although not alot & to go from life in a holding pen to 18 miles! Smile sweet!

flatland mountaineer

4 miles this morn, recovery pace. Lynda and I crosstrained yesterday installing a scale kit on her grain cart. We had all four tires off, they are tractor tires as tall as your head, then pulled the spindles out and replaced them with load cells. Anyway all heavy work and we were sore and tired this morning but got it done. Those are some serious Long Runs Joe and Cindy good job. off to a farm show tommorow.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

Aw, Cindy, such a cute pic of Mairead (how DO you pronounce that, anyway? Is it Celtic??). From Nervous Nellie to Queen of the Household and Special Running Companion, yessirree,her life's good! Jim - Whoa! Some cross-training routine you've got there, those tires you're talking about are not joke to muscle around! So many of us talk about yoga, lifting, etc...yawn....and then there's Jim with The Tractor (tire) Pull.... There's something funny going on in Fresno...every evening is cool! Finally...the light at the end of the tunnel...this was my first summer that I ran consistently all summer long, no "it's too *&%$# hot" excuses. Nothing like signing up for a marathon to keep you honest. Don't know if I told you guys...my baby brother (even if he's 6'3" and 43 yrs old, he's a baby to me forever) has started exercising, after the usual process we 40-somethings go through...uh-oh, I'm getting older, I have a spare tire, my cholesterol/blood pressure/whatever is creeping up, etc...so last month when he came to visit I casually mentioned that it would be fun to run the LA Marathon (our home town...yeah, I know, it's not a "town"...).... ANYWAY, I saw just a hint of a spark in his eye...I think I've planted a seed. Now, how do I make it grow? I'd like to push him without pushing per se...hmmm... Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Hey Arla! How's it going? Yep, it's Celtic & not sure if I'm pronouncing it right..."muh-raid"..(picture folks speaking w/Irish-Scottish accents) I was told that it's Celtic form of Margaret/Maggie, but online search says that it's from Celtic mythology meaning "Pearl" or Saint..?? I dunno, DH picked it out after seeing Celtic Woman - the fiddle player is Máiréad Nesbitt..?she's pretty tiny/vibrant!....guess I should learn if I'm gonna use it, huh?! I dunno 'bout the baby brother...depends on personality & what motivates him....w/my guys, things that tickle their egos get them going...IF they feel it's their idea.. Roll eyes..ie: I chat w/DH about my walks - becoming runs...just sharing info - what works, what's kicking my butt...etc.etc....he decides he should "go for a walk" w/me...knowing that he's reasonably fit, but doesn't really walk that far, I scaled it back to a 5 miler...that went well - until he asked me how far I "usually" go!...well, then he insisted that "whatever I could do, he could do!" & he started going out w/me on Sundays....now, he's running 3-4 X's per wk & doing the Boulder Backroads HM next wknd!! 3 miles @ avg 8:48 pc this am! Shocked looks like, as long as I keep doing this, he will Wink - & Mairead is sooo excited that we both take her out! Jim: I'm gonna skip boot camp & come do chores w/you! Sounds like a tougher workout than what I'm doing!!!!

jfa

Hi Kids- regarding the dogs- I too have had Buddy go on strike and simply lay down.It's funny because he looks at me if to say "I'm not a wimp". So I don't give him a hard time about it and use it as a time to stretch and hydrate.If I can swim him on a regular basis it really is just like fuel in his tank.I also realize that if a bunny or deer go by,all bets are off and he still has a TON of energy in him.This way I at least know that he's not overheated. Looking forward to upping his mileage as the temps go down. Good job Cindy on giving Máiréad such a good life!She's one lucky dog.And about motivating people, DW likes to get me going by saying "oh,you're too old to do that". That usually works like a charm. Leslie- Good luck with your trail run and it sounds like Charlie is pretty lucky too.Those are some really nice pace times for you and great hill work as well.That will certainly make you stronger. Arla- way to go muscling through the summer heat.You know what they say about it either killing you or making you stronger.I think you'll appreciate the cooler temps even more because of it.Good luck getting your kid brother going.Maybe if you told him that he couldn't catch big sis in a run...... Jim- who needs a weight set when you have humungous tires to toss around?!Have fun at your show. Kinda solemn day around here of course and for the whole country.Make sure you have your flags flying!!

Please take a moment to remember the men and women who lost their lives 7 years ago today to terrorist attacks, and those men and women who put their lives on the line every day to ensure this doesn't happen on our soil again. An hour of strength/core training this a.m., with 4 miles running after. I marveled at how good my legs felt running after all the leg work I did before. It's times like that that make you realize just how far you've come, and it feels fantastic. Yes Arla - I don't know what to say about the motivation. I had hoped my getting into shape would motivate The Hub to do something with himself, and it hasn't fazed him one bit in that regard. It stinks sometimes. Last night he was talking about going to Montana next year to Glacier National Park. I guess there are places you can stay that are like a 7-mile walk into the park somewhere. You carry your stuff with you (or hire someone to carry it for you). I'm all for it, but I can't conceive of him walking 7 miles in, let alone 7 miles out. He commented that he'd have to get in shape to do it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath. Farmer Jim - I was watching "Dirty Jobs" a week or so ago, and they were at an Army base helping to change the HUGE tires on one of the rigs. They commented that the tires weigh around 500 lbs. Shocked One of the tires that had been loosened up was bumped and fell over on top of one of the camera guys. It scared the holy crap out of everyone more than it hurt him. Some definite major cross training for your guys! Shout out to everyone else!!

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Queen of 3rd Place

I had a colleage who studied "extreme physiology", for example pronghorn antelope aerobic capacity, the muscle structure in the tail rattling muscle of a rattlesnake, stuff like that. He talked a lot about sled dogs, and one thing I clearly recall him saying is that sled dogs eat a very high fat diet during endurance events, and that if you biopsy their muscles, you'll see that they store a lot of fat right inside the muscle cells, presumably so the muscles can get to it and use it. If you look at typical human muscle microscopically, you see very little fat. For some time I've been interested in to what extent humans can do this - I see bits and pieces of information suggesting that we can train our bodies to use fat more efficiently, but not a lot of good studies. It's a shame there are so few studies on the physiology of human excercise and healthy humans vs. studies of disease and drug therapies, but drugs are where the money is so maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Also I wonder how hard it would be to get a bunch of endurance athletes to donate chunks of muscle, DNA, and whatever else you might need (and you might need it repeatedly) to do the work. Arla

Ex runner