Masters Running

Thu Dec 4 Runs and Workouts (Read 519 times)

DickyG

Thanks to poor dental hygiene, researchers are getting a more detailed understanding of what people ate thousands of years ago in what is now Peru. Dental plaque scraped from the teeth of people who lived as much as 9,200 years ago revealed traces of cultivated crops, including squash and beans, according to a report by the National Academy of Sciences. These ancient people also ate peanuts and a local fruit known as pacay. The findings also indicated that many empty Pizza Hut boxes were found among the remains. Erika: Well, I don't think I've ever experienced -27..actually, I'm not sure I've ever been out in +2 temps...what's the difference.. I continue to be really irritated that Ribs got off the operating table about 5 minutes ago and he's already running more miles than me. Timbo:
    About fell asleep pool running tonight...
    Hmmm...now THAT might have been a problem... Lou:
    9.2 miles, 1:15, 8:10/mi, AHR 149
    That is disgustingly good... Maine: Welcome back...some great runs...my grass needs cutting. Another cold morning here...4 miles in 35:09 (8:47)..pretty good for me considering that I had to walk a few times to catch my breath in last mile. Ave HR 147 Max 164. I have to learn some new stuff to maximize my use of this Garmin... DickyG

Marathon Maniac #957

How do you feel after those walking lunges yesterday?? I feel guilty posting that exercise and I still haven't done them myself ..... maybe tonight!
      Actually, other than a little stiffness, not bad at all. But you see, I do 120 lunges once a week anyway - 60 on each leg - so I'm already somewhat accustomed to them. I think I like the walking ones better, though. Being able to hold the handrail to keep from falling is a big help, and next time I will increase the incline. JDMom - I love your avatar. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I don't really understand the humor in the cartoon that ran here locally in the newspaper. Can anyone help me understand? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

flatland mountaineer

3 tempoish miles 18 deg F not much wind. Tommorow is supposed to be windy and cold so moved my run up a day.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Marathon Maniac #3309

Sarge, you are going to get us both in trouble buddie Black eye Smile Hey Bob, good to see ya back. I was going to call you a slacker, but after seeing all your runs, guess not. Wow, quite the morning for you Mary. After alllll of that, I'm surprised you still had the time to run 3 miles...WTG Hey anachrotech, I'll trade your 2 miles...for my none running miles Wink. Yeah, 2 miles is still 2 miles. It will get easy soon, just hang in there. Nice run Peter as always. Don't you normally run in the morning? I love night time running myself. "Tim, you are cruisin' for a bruisin'! Black eye" Hey Ilene, todays was actually a slam against guys Tongue Hey dg, isn't it suppose to be... still feel carpy Smile. Nice run'n for you too! Interval - strider's - whatever...good job. Holly, I do believe they make a waterproof mp3 player. I may check into that, as that may help with the stoopid boredom. Greta workout there girl....you are doing awesome, REALLY! Very nice to have ya back Teresa. How could anyone stop being a running partner with you Wink Glad you are back running again...think you said you were lacking a little motivation, right? Mari, your run truly sounded heavenly....just like you Wink. Nice run too! Be careful on your trip...our thoughts will be with you, OK! jdmom3 , so nice to see ya posting Smile. 5 miles on the dreadmill is quite the feat...good job. (heck, a good run on a treadmill don't sound that bad to me, that I am injured and can't run Angry) Hey, where has Twokitty been. Hope everyone has a great afternoon...well, prolly still morning for some of you. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Yes, Tim, it's still morning here, not even 9 a.m. yet and I'm already bored at work. I think I need a couple of days off just to regroup. It's been busy here, almost hectic, and I've found I don't care. Ruh roh. I tried those walking lunges the other day and I couldn't get the "rhythm" of it or something. Always felt like I was going to run out of belt at the end, and trying to do the little "kick" was just a joke. I had it at 12% and 1.0 mph, and it just felt weird. I normally do 3 sets of 12 lunges each leg, probably moving up to 15 reps soon, with 40 lbs. Those and the 36 deadlifts I do (3 x 12) always leave my butt a little sore the next couple of days. Will run 5-6 easy tonight when DS2 is at basketball tryouts. They made the first cut last night, and 8 boys were cut. I congratulated him on making it past that and he said, "oh mom, those kids were pathetic and really had to go." Hmm, so much for being gracious with a compliment. MTA: High Mainerunnah! We did miss you around here and you had some really nice running weather in NV. And it's very nice to see Anacrotech posting again... getting it back takes some time, but you'll get there.
                And I threw away the rest of the apple pie,
                Ok....now I'm offended.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Marathon Maniac #3309

Hey Erika...when the lifeguard was kind of showing my how to pool run, he said to use a circular motion like cycling. But last night I went more up and down like really running..any feedback on this...do you understand what I am asking and describling Confused Want to do this right, since I am going to be stuck doing it for awhile Angry Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim - Thanks for the laugh this a.m. - the joke, the locker room mishap, the sleepy pool running. I need a good laugh! Breger - Quick read through - I don't understand the cartoon either. Confused Had the pee waddlin' ole crappola scared out of me this a.m., one of the few times I didn't have my pepper spray with me. Shocked There I am, barely 5 minutes into my run, it's dark, I'm minding my own business. I look across the road to a house with its carport lights on, the door open, and this mutt dog is standing in the doorway looking into the house. Next thing I know, he's flying across the road toward me, growling and snarling the whole way! I'm yelling, "NO!" as loudly and firmly as I can, and the little %^*&#* keeps coming at me. He's at my ankles literally growling and snarling like he's gonna take a chunk out of me, and keeps moving left and right, and I'm trying to keep him in front of me while yelling, "NO!" His owners see what's happening, and instead of running across the street to help, they just start walking down the driveway, yelling for him - in Spanish. He finally listens to them and starts toward them. I yell, "You're lucky your dog didn't bite me," and start walking away (while checking my drawers to see if I messed them), and the frigging dog starts coming at me again!! Three times that dog came at me. The last two times not nearly as close, but holy guacamole! There's a lady I see often walking her two weiner dogs. On the way back, I took a detour around the house, saw her, and told her about him being out - just in case. I've never seen this dog before, and can only guess that he's usually inside or in the back yard. The Hub asked, "Why didn't you kick him?" I'm not sure, except it happened so fast, and I was afraid that if I missed or didn't kick him hard enough, he'd really attack. He wasn't a big dog and if he wasn't so frigging mean, he would've been cute. Anyway, my blood is still boiling (can you tell?). SO - leave at noon today to start down toward Ridgecrest. Got a phone call from my uncle who's giving my dad a VW bug. They live in Bakersfield and are suppose to be bringing it over to Ridgecrest. Turns out, we basically go right past their house. So why are they driving 2 hours over the Ridgecrest to deliver the VW? Beats me! My uncle didn't understand that one, either. Cripes! With all of this going on, my race, etc. (close your ears, men), I'm in the throes of actual MS-ing. No "P" about it. And I barely got any sleep between 2:30 and 5:30 this a.m. Ack! Midol, take me away!!! Oh - 3 miles, 28:37, 9:33 ap.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Tim, I do most of the pool running in the sort of circular motion, but any fast intervals I tend to do more "up and down" motion. Does that make sense? The links that Perchcreek put up a while back have a pretty good demo. The runners world link shows the more circular motion, but the video of the guy at the end doing "speed work" definitely is a pumping up and down motion. When going easier, I really try to watch form (stay upright, pay attention to leg motion, etc), when going faster, form is still important but I'm more focused on "pace" and rhythm. Does that help? Leslie, dogs like that suck. I'd take a big stick or length of garden hose to use as a whip. We had a little dog across the road... a pomeranian of all things. Horrible dog. He'd come at me like he wanted to take my leg off when I was doing my walking cool down by the cul de sac. One day, I turned around and kicked him so hard he flew backwards. Got him right in the chops. He growled at me and slunk off. From then on, he'd come up to the road and bark/growl and such, but didn't chase me anymore.
                      wildchild

Carolyn

It's cold and snowing in Denver, and it took me over TWO HOURS to drive to work! No accidents, but people just drive really slow when it snows. Since I wussed out on running yesterday, I brought extra layers today, but I didn't bring my yaktrax, and it's slippery out. Sad It's 15 degrees, feels like 4. So I'm wussing out again. I hope I'll have time to stop at the rec center on the way home. It may take two hours to get home, but by then I'll really need the run. Dead Sorry for the rant. Holly, you wouldn't have to throw away pie at my house! I made two pumpkin pies on Thanksgiving, and they were gone in 4 days. I don't even like pumpkin pie, but my DH and DD love it. ( It really helps keep the temptation away to make pies that you don't like.)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Holly, thanks! It's my dd in her Santa hat doing her splits. We are over our heads with gymnastics (she goes 16 hours a week) but at least we get some good pictures. Tim, evan's description of pool running was spot on. I always use the more circular motion when running "easy" and the more up and down when doing intervals. I found it very hard to do intervals while trying to stick with the circular motion. I only found pool running tolerable if I did lots of intervals as I made my way around the deep end. You are right about the dreadmill - it's about a million times better than pool running. Leslie, sorry to hear about the dog incident. I would be worried about kicking a dog with its owners standing right there. Seems like that might derail you run even more. It sounds like you might have been justified in your case, though. I'm never sure of the appropriate response when a dog runs at me while I'm out on a run. Usually I keep going and hope it leaves me alone. If it doesn't, I wind up stopping and waiting for the owners to do something. I guess if a dog literally attacked me, I would kick it! I detest pie so I have no fears of uneaten pie in my fridge. It doesn't last long anyway because my dh is a pie freak. Meg

Once a runner . . .

Mary and Leslie, thanks for the advice about the bed, but I have no room for 2 beds that size! Frank's bed is big--he has 2, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. We are making little nesting spots in front of the heat registers (those ittle clementine boxes are cat-magnets). And Leslie, I hate it when dogs run loose. We always have Frank on a leash and just yesterday morning a dog decided to join us on the am walk. He wasn't scary, like the one you encountered, but he messed up our walk. He kept wanting to play and sniff, and Frank is 9 and just wanted to have his regular orderly old walk with his humans. I must have looked the Witch from the West as I kept staring him down and telling him "GO HOME!" The weight loss thread is a hoot. You are priceless, nono. I think Erma Bombeck is hanging out somewhere with you, thanks for making me laugh. Gym day for me. grins, A
                            Masters 2000 miles

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks Erika and Meg....exactly the information I wanted Smile Hey everyone, since we spent soooo much time talking behind Bob's back while he was gone. I hope all of you went back and deleted your posts, since is back at RA now Big grin For curiosity sake, what is the longest time anyone had spent pool running, in hours and or minutes...not like the length of time recovering from an injury. TimBo

6 miles at 9:35 pace in warmer damp this morning. Cold front is on its way, though, for my 5k Saturday morning.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason