Masters Running

Tue Dec 2 Runs and Workouts (Read 610 times)

Mariposai

SRLopez, hat picture is worthy of an avatar picture. Timbo, thanks for your nice post last night. You are one great guy. Any pictures from the Seattle crew? Meeting and food temptation all day Evil grin, but I got out for an eazpz 7 this morning. It was 40 degrees, no wind and worthy of running with shorts... but no topless run.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

Leslie, I've seen that clip before. That guy is amazing... I love Simon's comment "I certainly wasn't expecting that!"
        Tramps! yes, come do the National Marathon/Half-Marathon with us! 6 slippery miles for me this morning at 9:36 pace. Holly - I haven't yet commented on your nice family picture. Maybe DS watches My Name is Earl, and is doing the Earl Hickey photography thing where his eyes are closed in every picture. I signed up for another 5k this Saturday. This is a good time to get in another short race, as I haven't really started training for Boston yet, and I'm feeling well-rested and a little speedier than usual.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #957

PDR - I meant to comment to you as well on your excellent 5K PR the other day - well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps, what's this about your DW would have to qualify? They have cut-offs? 50F, windy, wet, threatening to rain 7.28 miles 3 mile w/u @ 11:30 pace 1 mile time trial @ 8:11 2 mile c/d @ 11:04 last .28 chunk @ 9:00 So, I was really hoping to break 8:00 on my mile test...but...I'm not quite back up to speed yet, although oodles stronger than last week. Not a bad effort, as I had a headwind...but I gave it my all and RTYPYP (run till you pee your pants - almost lost bladder control when I finished...weird eh? I am convinced it was from the extreme exertion) My gloves clip together so I just shove one down my pants. Looks kind of weird like a hand is waving a greeting to passerby.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

My gloves clip together so I just shove one down my pants. Looks kind of weird like a hand is waving a greeting to passerby.
              I refuse to comment on that comment. Big grin

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Jlynne

Hey everyone - be careful what you shove down your pants. Look what happened to Plaxico Burress!
                Tramps

Tramps, what's this about your DW would have to qualify? They have cut-offs?
                  Yeah, but they're quite modest. To enter the 1/2 you need a previous 1/2 of 2:30, or 10-miler of 1:50; or 10K or 1:05 ; or 5K of 31:00. However, DW just started running this year so she's not quite there yet. I'm pretty sure she could do it in the next couple of months, though.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Nono! Oh no! Whenever someone like Erika posts about a cold weather run I always laugh and think, "they should live in Dallas where it is warm all the time!" Then I read posts like Ilene's today where she is cold at 63 degrees, and Bill is down there whining about his cold temps. So today I got my comeuppance. It is cold here in Chicago and they don't plow the sidewalks, so I found this quarter mile stretch of clean sidewalk that goes out 1/4 of a mile. So out and back is about a half, and I did this 9 times in a freezing, raw wind for 4.6 miles. Very slow, with all the turning around, wind and ice. I wore shorts though, and after the first mile it was like living in NY again and I was comfortable. Good workout on the track for Holly, staying within a goal range like that. I hope you are trying to get these in with about one minute rest interval, no more. If not, then work toward it. PDR is getting the hang of this fiveK stuff. Good for you to get right back out there. Marathoners need these short, sharp races as they help you to run at MP more comfortably. Spareribs
                    TammyinGP

3 miles on the TM during lunchtime. I wanted to get at least 4 in today, but I was running short on time and have too much to do at work, so needed to shower and get back to work on time. foot felt good and usually within 30-60 min after my run is when I can start to feel the achiness creep into my feet. So far so good {knock on wood}.

Tammy

Spareribs NY is partly proud of you for taking on that wind and temps in shorts, bravo! but plowed sidewalks? I only wear my yaktrax to add extra weight and make my workouts harder Tongue
                        wildchild

Carolyn

All the weather comments have me wondering where the ideal place to live would be, as far as running year-round. Somewhere it's not too hot in the summer, low humidity, and the winters are not too cold. Any ideas? Weather comments so far today:
                          WRFB: a deceptive sheen to the road this morning Mary: our first challenging snow run Bill: I left my YakTrax at home. Kevin: when I hit the lake and the wind, I was very glad to have gone for the tights. Jlynne: Somebody remind me why I live here?! Peter: sunny and cold but really nice to run in. Nono: I can't figure out how to dress in this weather Ilene: cooled off to a chilly 63 by the time I went out r2farm: forecasted high of 67 then supposedly snow by tonite Holly: windy 24 degrees (why is it always windy now?) Erika: It was -25 this morning... brrrr! Spareribs: they should live in Dallas where it is warm all the time!
                          Spareribs: You said "I found this quarter mile stretch of clean sidewalk that goes out 1/4 of a mile" - gee, really? You should consider a job with the department of redundancy department! Big grin Perch, congrats on the yearly mileage PR! Holly, my DD has Guitar Hero and Dance Dance Revolution - both good! DDR gets your heart rate elevated pretty good on the harder settings - unfortunately it takes more coordination than I can muster! Leslie, I've seen that video clip too. That guy went on to win the whole competition, and he got to sing for the Queen! I went out for 5 miles at lunchtime, avg 10:54 pace, in absolutely gorgeous weather - 65 and sunny. But like r2farm, more snow is headed our way tonight.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ack, still no motivation. Is it normal to feel crappy 6 days after returning from an overseas trip? I have no energy and am still very grumpy. Then I feel guilty, because I was lucky to get to go on such a great trip. Blush I've put running clothes on for two days in a row and not made it out.

Renee the dog

I really did post the topless piece just for Tim, and I was thinking of him when I had to do it. It was less embarassing to take my tops off than to keep wrestling with myself under my first top...I mean, how uncoordinated can I be? Apparently quite when I'm sweaty. Wink In my defense (as if there is any), I got suckered by accuweather again. The "real feel" was supposedly 31 with a temp of 39. I went with the 31 number instead of the 39...ah live and learn. I like my legs, hands and head warm, and my torso and arms rather cool. I don't think that's all that common. For instance, there's no way I could run in this weather in shorts like Spareribs did today...to me that's very impressive. Have a great night all!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

King of PhotoShop

Carolyn, don't make me go back and edit that post! Mistakes are inserted intentionally to help me see if they are being read. Spareribs