Masters Running

Friday Feb. 6 Take-it-Easy Runs (or not) (Read 437 times)

Holly - I can understand, my DH would be the same. I don't miss the coffee/caffeine at all, although it took me a full two weeks to go thru the withdrawal and then to adjust and not feel lethargic/sleepy all the time. I am sleeping much better without it. I did really miss the chocolate so I looked up the amount of caffeine in a typical chocolate bar and it isn't much, like less than 1/10th of a cup of coffee, so I have started back my daily indulgence and am much happier as a result! Smile My DS had a bout of croup last night (I think he is getting too old for this) but anyway I am taking him into the doctor today to get some of that steroid medicine that will prevent another attack tonight. It will be my fourth visti to that office in less than a month. Roll eyes Tramps, I was at a party in December, a bit tipsy and asked this woman what she did for a living. I had asked her the same thing about 30 minutes earlier but had completely forgotten. Wow, it was embarrassing and I'm hoping it was just the alcohol messing with me. And of course I couldn't remember her name either.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

"older but not dead yet"

Hi folks, First day of the VRAA competition at KR and I did my first "embedded" workout in more than a year. 4 miles to the gym, 1 hour with the wts. then 1 mile home. I first learned about these years ago when I worked out with some DEA guys and a former DELTA guy (shh....they don't officially exist) By pre-exhausting the muscles with cardio first, then doing anaerobic work and then finishing with cardio, you really get to teach the body how to perform under stress. Either the stress of combat or the stress of a race. When you first start doing these workouts, the run from the gym feels more like a Bataan death-march. I'd like to do these as frequently as I can. I have a 12K in mar. in S.F. and would like to do well in my age-group. Alex
      Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
        Morning Folks - I'm currently on hold with the Social Security Admin (10 min and counting . . . ) and thought I'd check in. No run for me this a.m., which is just as well since it's raining (yea!!). Hopefully, it doesn't rain so much that the creek gets too high for crossing during the Clam Beach Run tomorrow. Good luck to the DH's undergoing surgeries this a.m. I go for my pre-op business this afternoon, which should be quite boring. They're always astounded at my low HR and almost always ask, "Are you a long distance runner?" I think when I went in for my endoscopy it was 116/??? Kind of freaks them out for a second. Well, I'd better get going in case, miraculously, someone comes on the line . . . . 12 min and counting . . . .)

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Funny thing this thread... as I was reading Aamos' post, I was thinking "first Karin posted, then Amy, now all we need is PBJ and it'll be like old times!" and there he was, a few posts later! Hi you'se guys! deb, thanks for posting that. I was reading it with all the perfect (to me) voices and inflections, having grown up on Monty Python (I have that record!! and all the DVD's of the show...) I was laughing and snickering the whole time. My cube-neighbors think I'm nuts. (and for whatever stupid reason, the Cheese Shop sketch is one of my favorites, just read that one again too) Big grin Byll, think of it as job security. Not a bad thing to have these days. And why is your Garmin losing signal in your area? I get weak satellite locks up here sometimes, but the 305 really does pretty well. My DH's old 301 was losing signal in FL, but not mine. But yes, I'd say your run was greta. Enke, I've done that. Very embarrassing. Glad to see you can get back to some of the things you love, but I'm with Nono on the limit of one to three a week? Definitely not European... Holly, good luck to your DH. And to you afterwards. I think my DH would expect me to either go to work while he's in surgery or go for a run if I were off work. He'll sleep a bit later on though, so you should be able to do something then. It's really warmed up here... was about 0 this morning and we've got highs of 10-15 (yes, above) forecast for today. I brought stuff for the gym, but sorta mad now that I didn't bring my outdoor gear. Rats. Oh well, I'll run outside this weekend, when it's colder again. Roll eyes
            I needed to drop by to celebrate Truck Day with y'all! [This is the day the beloved Atlas Van Lines 18 wheeler leaves Fenway, loaded with spring training gear, headed to Florida!] YAY! Even you non-baseball folks can appreciate the legitimate use of the word "spring" in a sentence, yes? grins, A and for you fans, a funny: http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/#
            Masters 2000 miles
            Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Did I hear my name in the same sentence as .. Spaghetti carbonara....??? I do have have a couple of recipes to share!!...just have to translate them.. Yes running...5.5 miles in the rain.....very nice.....too bad I had to go to work. Francesca
              stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Aamos--I forgot it's "Truck" day. They really take their time getting down there. Pitchers and catcher on the 12th? Can't wait--this is the first full year of cable at our house, so I can get sucked into many more games. DW loves that Roll eyes

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Cute comic, A! (Of course, I love the cat on his shoulder.) Big grin

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Tim.. I think you have proven your theory...it's not the foot it's the wimmen Smile I actually found something good about being unemployed today... It was 16F when I got up so i figured, I can run later! So I headed out at 12:30 for the slightly rolling American Tobacco Trail (rails-to-trails) which I haven't run on in ages but it is part of the route for my 20K race in a couple weeks. Sweet! Sunny, 55° perfect for shorts and a tee! This is a 6.4 miles out then back with the last 3 being also the final 3 for the race route. Started easy then when that 4th mile came along I had to test the route! 8:40-8:26-8:47-7:20-8:01-6:57-8:11-7:51-7:45-7:57-7:46-7:29-7:17 (last 0.8 miles) Overall 12.8 miles in 1:40:44 (7:51 pace, AHR 154). Amazingly. when I was running the last 2 miles, who should be coming the other way? Munchkin (Donna) with a friend. Munch looked great, she has such good spirit. Quick hug and hello and finished up the run.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

that's a cute video Lopez. I wish I looked as peppy and fresh on a TM. 4 mi on the TM at lunch time. No water splashing involved.

Tammy

xor

Ah, but your hydration needs would be more easily fulfilled. Note the Baby Tobias' nondescript drinking on the run. "...fisheye."

Love that video SRL! I gave my father a miniature dachshund years and years ago. My Dad named him Tyrone and after dad got sick, Tyrone would ride around in my dad's wheelchair---all tucked next to his right side (the one that didn't work too well anymore). Seeing the video made me remember all that and grin. Thanks! Hope the recovery continues apace.
                            TammyinGP

hey Tyrone was the name of my first dog - a Beagle when I was in highschool. His full name was Tyrone Cobb . . . Aamos will appreciate that Big grin

Tammy

munchkn883

Well, you all already know that during my 6 mile walk with my friend, we saw Perchcreek! He was moving along without any effort....quick hug and hello! Was great to see you Perch!!