Masters Running

12.15.15 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Sorry for the quick walk-by, but it is that kind of a day.

5.7 RW miles in a constant, wind-driven drizzle/rain this morning. I got soaked, but that just made me appreciate the post-workout hot shower even more.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Mornin' all,  odd weather here: foggy and humid.  Toward the end of my 6 miles, it almost felt like rain, but it was more just too much water in the air so it was sort of like running through a mister.  That's mist-making-machine, not as in running through a man.  or ghost-man.

When I ran the Estes Park (Colorado) one June, we had a Moose Warning, in that the young'uns had just been born and so the moms were to be avoided.  Imagine my surprise at the end of the race when Stevie Ray commented on how close I came to one at a particular point.  He thought I'd seen her.   no, I thought he was just waving at me again at a turnaround as we have a lot of run when we run together...... I had not seen the mama moose.......pshew, I could've been....

Having heard Taggie sing, I was able to put his poem to the music (The Wanderer---aroo!!!)......Steve, yours was sorta, how do you say, um doggerel???

Starr, hope DD works out some stuff for herself.  Sometimes it's hard to do the support thing without overstepping.  Sounds as if you are doing a superb job......good luck.  Thinking of you all.  Do come in May!  That'll be fabulous.  Oh, and marathonguide keeps track of marathons: http://www.marathonguide.com/results/search.cfm .  You put in a name and get a list of that person's marathons, presto!  Then eventually I get round to putting them in on my maniac life list:  http://www.marathonmaniacsdb.com/Maniacs/MyRaces/130.

That's sort of disappointing about the grandson, Robin.  Gee whiz, and Boston training already.   Let's see, my excuse this year will be.....Boston is my training for Green Bay......that gives me 6 months to come up with a GB excuse!

Anyone have a Dec 25 day race?  I've often thought it, or Boxing Day, would be a perfect time for a 5K or 10K.   We do it on Thanksgiving,  after all.

And I have to mention it is National Cat herders Day, as many here will relate, I'm guessing:

A day for those of us who feel like we’re tasked with the impossible, Cat Herders Day recognises the frustration of trying to manage the unmanageable. Whether it’s work, home, school or other areas of life, if it feels like herding cats, today’s your day.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Stumpy - Thanks for the link!  Love the parts where the guy is rolling the yarn into a ball and another guy is using a lint remover on his sling.  Ha!  With 5 cats, I feel their pain. 

Starr - Sorry to hear about your daughter.  I will keep her in my prayers.  I've always been an Amy Grant fan.  How fun you got to see her in concert!

Although it wasn't as cold here as some of you are experiencing, it was cold.  6 miles in 32 degrees (maybe a degree or two colder).  I doubled up on the bottom layer, but my legs were still chilly.  It was a beautiful crisp, clear morning, though, with a predawn sky chock full of stars.  And I even saw a shooting star!  Beautiful morning ~~  . . . . . tonight the foul weather returns.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Kevin - I LOVE that video!  Makes me laugh out loud every time.  I stole it from you and posted it on FB in hopes of sharing the smiles.

Starr - I hope your daughter gets her life in control.  It is so tough to lose a job, and the other issues just compound it.

Jay - we'll allow it, just for today.

Amy - No races around here that I know of for 12/25, but several for New Year's.

Leslie - that still feels cold to me.  In a couple months I suppose that will seem warmer though.

30 minutes or so of 1 and 2 minute intervals on the TM for me today, plus WU and CD.  Those frisky paces are so tough to do when I haven't done any speed in a while, but I sure feel uplifted afterward.

5 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I thought this was hilarious ~ 

Leslie
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

tet, good job in Santa Claus 5K.  Aamos, bummer about the heat keeping you from getting your friend to a BQ. Nice half for your husband.   deez, feeling better is good and longest run in awhile is also good.  My thoughts are with your father in law and your family.  mari, congrats to your son on his graduation.  Tammy, "hi" and happy birthday to your son.  starr, sending wishes for things to get better for your daughter.

Nice long runs for Holly,  mari, fatozzig, and Mike.

tet's question about songs, got me thinking.  It's not unusual for me to have a song in my head while I'm running.  Years ago, when I started running, I did a lot of "One hundred bottles of beer on the wall".  A few years ago, I was listening to a radio station where It was mentioned how few people knew the words to the National Anthem.  I got the words and have practiced them on many runs over the years.  The song, "It's a good day", is a favorite.  I also like, "Proud Mary".  I often run by the house of a lady I know whose name is Mary Lou.  That often gets me going on "Hello Mary Lou".  The problem is I only know one line.  Mike's gift of a hammer to his son and Holly's comment had me doing "If I had a hammer" for a good part of today's run.  Even though I only know one line, from "It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" it goes through my mind frequently.  Depending on the day and what I've heard recently, there are others.  I sure don't detect a pattern here.

This morning, it was in the mid 40s and there was a wind.  I did 5 miles at an 11:47 pace.  More often than not, my last mile will be one of, if not, my fastest.  Today, it was the second slowest.  I must have been more tired than usual.  Or, maybe, "If I had a hammer" is not a good running song for me.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

Tom, Merry Christmas--since you often run by Mary Lou's house, you need the words to the (Ricky Nelson) song:

Hello Mary Lou, goodbye heart
                  Sweet Mary Lou, I'm so in love with you
                  I knew Mary Lou, we'd never part
                  So hello Mary Lou, goodbye heart

You passed me by one sunny day
                  Flashed those big brown eyes my way
                  And oo I wanted you forever more
                  Now I'm not one that gets around
                  Swear my feet stuck to the ground
                  And though I never did meet you before

I said, hello Mary Lou, goodbye heart

I saw your lips I heard your voice
                  Believe me I just had no choice
                  Wild horses couldn't make me stay away
                  I thought about a moonlit night
                  My arms about good an' tight
                  That's all I had to see for me to say

Hey, hey, hello Mary Lou, goodbye heart
                  Yes hello Mary Lou, goodbye heart

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

....I think the Minion pic would make a Great T-shirt

===========

still warm here,

50-60's but that goes away by the weekend..............sigh.......

..........40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris

...........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Booo to TomWhite for putting multiple earworms in my head! 

I've sung the National Anthem many times, but never progressed past the first verse. 

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

I've sung the National Anthem many times, but never progressed past the first verse. 

...it's better than the ''O-reo'' Flying Monkey Song from the Wizard of Oz

.................oops, was that Another earworm??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...it's better than the ''O-reo'' Flying Monkey Song from the Wizard of Oz

.................oops, was that Another earworm??

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie -

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I felt like Jay at an all day meeting today, . . . except I just had to listen and not do anything.
                              .Incidentally, after I moaned herein a couple of weeks ago about a local sportscaster’s belief that a certain team needed “incentivitizing,” one of today’s speakers, not once but twice, referred to all the  “deincentivitizing” that seems to be going on now days.  Then, one of the more erudite and captivating presenters took me back more than two score years ago when I figured out that her mother and I had been colleagues, albeit in different sections of a big office, back in the seventies. Great memories. I wish my running body could go back over the years so easily. oh well.   Enjoy yourself, your younger days never come again.
                              yay, I get to see erika on Saturday
                              hope divechief and enke too, if it works out for them, . . .

and anyone else they might want to bring along.
                              ps toms: including my “ame” poem, I know a lot of one-liners too.

Unfortunately, the punch is always in the second line.
                              pps starr - I thought you were going to send some fugu to ribs.

Maybe I’ll bring some back from Japan so you can mix it in

with the fudge you really mentioned.

ppps amy  - thanks, Tom was making me wonder too.

pppps leslie - sometimes you are so leslie.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Tet, you know that's next Saturday, right? The 26th...  Just makin' sure!

5.5 miles tonight. Temp felt about the same as last night. Sorry, that's all for now.