Masters Running

Thursday, October 13 fall runs and such..... (Read 459 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!    Not too often I start the daily anymore!

I left my Garmin at work yesterday, so my run this morning was au-naturale!   Roughly 3.75 miles at a faster pace today, then home to do the lower body workout.   I guess the weather is going to turn this afternoon .... wet, windy and much cooler.    I talked with the vet yesterday as Brinkley is stil not using his leg and she wants to do x-rays because she now thinks it is his ACL.  So, that is scheduled for Monday and then we will have some tough decisions after that.    I need to get his heartworm checked again too.  Sad

TwoKitty - I am jealous of your day watching the agility competition!  I hope the little rascal does a great job and earns top awards!    Be sure to post some pictures.  Is your hammy healing up ok?    We miss your daily posts and flavor of the day muffins!!

Holly - How was the rest of your evening?   Wink

Congratulations on the Condo Skip!

I have been thinking of Hallar alot with the Tiger's playing ball.    If you are lurking, let us know how you are doing!

Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

HermosaBoy

I hate power outages!!!

Had one yesterday and had to reset my clock.  When I did, I got the AM/PM mixed up -- so I missed my morning run.  Sad

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Jlynne

Wow - even doggies tear ACL's? Sorry for the diagnosis Mary. Hopefully the vet can get Brinkley out and running with you again soon. Yep - the rain is here now and should be reaching you shortly.....

Power outages are the worst  Hermosaboy. Especially when they screw up your normal routine.

Congrats on the new townhouse Skip. Pictures! We need pictures!

Holly - I know it's tough for you right now. There's an old saying that God made teenagers totally obnoxious so you wouldn't feel bad when they left for college. I remember once my two sons were really getting into it - I got a tape recorder and when they were in the heat of the battle I turned it on. I taped their fighting for about 5 minutes. After things calmed down I called them into the kitchen and played it back for them. I think they were truly embarrassed and it did stop their bickering. Well, for a while anyway. Big grin

Today was one of those days where everything hurts. I'm blaming it on the weather. 5 miles with several walk breaks thrown in, 11:03 pace. I have the day off so I'm going to channel my inner Mariposai and do a little painting...

Mike E

MM #5615

Hey--good morning!  Thanks for starting us Mary--when I first started here, you seemed to be the official starter.

Rob--it's really nice to hear I'm not the only person who does that!

Well, I feel almost normal, today...finally.  I dragged my butt around here all day, yesterday--went home--ate--and went to bed.  Man, that stuff kicked my butt!  Oh--I guess I changed a light bulb in the headlight of my DW's car, too.  I have never been a mechanic.  I can put in gas and I can check the oil--and I used to be able to change a dang headlight, but it took me an hour, last night, to change that stupid thing.  I wish I could blame it on the anestesia hangover, but I really can't.

So...Twocat went to the dogs?  That just doesn't seem right.  Although--it is amazing how some people can get their dogs to those things.  I don't know what I do wrong, but I have never been able to teach my dogs anything.  My golden retriever was the best I ever had.  He could sit--lay down--come (when he wanted to)--and stay (unless he wanted to go someplace else).  It would be fun to watch one of those shows, though so--like Mary--I'm a little jealous.  Oh--and I hope that hamstring heals quickly.  I think these unscheduled days off I've taken has done my Achilles' some good.  I'll give it a try, tonight.

Okay--BRAG ALERT!  If you don't want to see me bragging about my son, again, just go on to the next post, now.

Hopefully this works...

Brondbo, Evans collect NSIC awards

Kristin Brondbo, Ryan Evans

Kristin Brondbo and Ryan Evans

Bookmark and Share <script></script>

10/11/2011 2:43:00 PM

NSIC WOMEN'S RELEASE  |  NSIC MEN'S RELEASE

BURNSVILLE, Minn.
            – Augustana's Kristin Brondbo and Ryan Evans are the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Athletes of the Week, the conference office announced Tuesday.

Brondbo, a sophomore from Steinkjer, Norway, finished seventh at the Briar Cliff Invitational Saturday at the Adams Nature Preserve in McCook Lake, S.D., helping the Viking women to the team title. Brondbo navigated the 5K course in 18:20.79. Augustana finished 12 points better than Morningside.

A junior from Lino Lakes, Minn., Evans also led the Augustana men to the crown at the Briar Cliff Invitational, logging a third-place finish with a time of 24:35.47 (8K). His effort keyed a 27-point outing by the Vikings, who topped Morningside by 46 points.  Evans was also named the athlete of the week on Sept. 27.

The Vikings have competed in three meets so far this season, sweeping the weekly conference awards each time.

Postseason action begins Oct. 22 when the Vikings travel to Moorhead, Minn., for the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Championship.

Mariposai

One thing I love about RA is that we all feel so free to share about "others aspects" of our lives besides running.

Congrats MikE on Ryans accomplishments. We are all proud of him

Jlynnes, is the birthday party today? If so, happy birthday Will.

Holly, hang in there sister! We all have been there. Praying for wisdom for you as you teach your kids how to best handle conflicts in their lives.

ohhh, hermosaboy did not run this morning! What out folks, we have a lion in our midst.

Enjoy Philly Spareribs!. 

Mary, sorry to hear about the ACL issue with Brinkley. How did it happen?

lamerunner, great high mileage last week. When is your marathon?

Speaking of marathon, go RTravers, gooooooooo!!!!

Tamster, have you decided on a laptop, yet?

I think I need to watch out because I feel like I am becoming a sloth in the mornings. I am falling in love with my down comforter too much...so, no running in the morning, but I will RAW.

Have a great day folks!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Renee the dog

1 mile warm up at the water's edge. Completed.  Problem is I had another 4 on tap!  It's an "astronomical" high tide, so even though I thought I had factored that in, I arrived down at the beach too early.  Each foot fall sank about 2" into wet sand, and some was coming back up with me, so...I have a 2-3 hr. delay.  No worries. Cool

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Mike E

MM #5615

1 mile warm up at the water's edge. Completed.  Problem is I had another 4 on tap!  It's an "astronomical" high tide, so even though I thought I had factored that in, I arrived down at the beach too early.  Each foot fall sank about 2" into wet sand, and some was coming back up with me, so...I have a 2-3 hr. delay.  No worries. Cool

Hmmm...something I've never even thought about having to deal with.

Mary--I meant to mention this before--and with all of your experiance with dogs you, probably, already know all about this--but--my older son had a dog with a torn ACL and the PT they go through is amazing.  He sent me videos of his dog on an underwater treadmill rehabing his leg.  It was pretty cool.  His dog is running around, now, like it never happened.  

wildchild

Carolyn

Mary, one of my previous dogs, Zoey, had knee surgery - not sure if it was the ACL or something else - but she recovered just fine.

Rob, I thought you'd be programmed to wake up at 3 am even without an alarm clock!

Jlynne, nothing wrong with walk breaks.   And Happy Birthday to baby Leo!

Holly, I would suggest that you should only have one kid --- but I guess it's a little late for that. Joking

Yay Ryan!  So, Mike, did you call your DS in Alaska yet????  Why not???

Hi Nono!  Even with less-than-perfect sand conditions, you're lucky to be able to run on the beach.

Another beautiful fall day here. Planning a RAL.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mary, I hope Brinkley comes through OK. He's like one of the forum members and really should have his own account Big grin.

Ran 5.7 this morning (should have been 6, but I bonked on the final hill) around the Oakland U campus. This is one of our winter running venues and I really didn't want to start running there until I had to when the snow is flying, but that's where the morning meetup was scheduled. Always nice to run a few with good friends!

I hope the rest of you get your daily runs in, even if you have to join Nancy after work! 

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Slo

Hey folks !

Just a quickie. 10.5 miles this morning. Just a nice fall run. It's been a light mist all night. Made the leaves just a little bit slippery.

Brag away Mike.

Holly...I can send you some of those recordings like Jlynne mentioned...but then again...You already get to listen to the live version. Sorry that you have to thru that. Believe it or not, someday they will act like best friends again.

That's all I got. Time to go crack the whip on the construction crew.

Twocat, my DW also has a sister who does agility work with her Aussies and it's very cool.  Have fun at the championships!  I also hope your hamstrings settle down.  If you're resting that should do the trick and don't forget that yoga move, Forward Fold.  Mine were screaming at yoga class Tuesday night but fortunately only I could hear them.

Wildchild, thanks for the birthday wishes for our DS.  The dinner was interesting because one of the grandparents came along and there's a strange one on each side of the family so you never know what you're going to get.  We had to deal with a little teenage angst afterwards but this too shall pass.  Normally he would be driving on his own but he has to wait 6 months after getting his learner's permit which wasn't on his 15 & 1/2 birthday.  DD is thinking of doing the Race for the Cure Saturday and if so, I will join her for part of it, as part of my LR nearby on the river trails.

I'll do 10 miles this evening.  Paul, we can do our Earlywine run if you want.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

TammyinGP

TwoCat - please let us know how the dogs do and post some pics! I love dog agility competitions and dock diving. And my Bella would be such a good contender in either of those events, except for the whole 'reactiveness to other dogs" issues she has. but other than that, she loves to have purpose and have tasks. She's easily trained (except for overcoming that whole 'reactiveness to other dogs' issue. . . {sigh}. But the labrador and australian shepard in her really would make for a good competition dog.

Mary, sorry to hear of the possible torn ACL. My Jade had that at age 4. Here's a little description of it for those unfamiliar with this injury in dogs:

"If your dog goes lame in one of his hind legs, he may have torn or ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament, or ACL. This ligament, which also is called the cranial cruciate ligament in animals, connects the back of the femur (the bone above the knee) with the front of the tibia (the bone below the knee). The ACL is responsible for keeping the tibia in place beneath the femur and stabilizing the knee joint."

it required surgery where they basically opened up the leg and, for lack of a better medical term, used a man-made fiber to recreate the ligament that connects the femur and tibia. The ligament was basically shredded and not holding her leg together like it was supposed to. The best we can guess is she was out running in the forest and probably got her foot in a hole or twisted up somehow and shredded the ligament. The rehab was long. We were told to keep her immobile for 4 months, so we scheduled the surgery for september so she would have the winter to rehab. We knew it would be too hard to keep her down in the summertime. We actually kept her inactive for about 6 months just because as a large breed dog, it was going to take a bit longer for her to heal. She rehabbed real well (even amazed the vet as she said she's seen very few dogs as large as Jade rehab well because usually the owners don't keep them down long enough and their weight makes it harder for them to heal if they are not kept inactive). Arthritis in that leg did set in earlier than what it normally would, so we've had her on a regimen of supplements for the past several years to ease her discomfort. But after about a year she did start running with me again and resumed all of her normal dog activities.

congrats to Ryan, Mike!! That's awesome and thanks for bragging to us!

Mari, I haven't totally decided on a laptop yet. I like all the advice I'm getting though. It's really helping me and I'm learning stuff I never knew. I have the guy from the internet servicer coming out next week to install the receiver and then I'll need to get his recommendation on a router since we'll have one computer in the house and another in my husband's shop. I need to know if I will need to step up from your basic router so that it can communicate with both computers even though they are in separate (but fairly close in proximity) structures. Still learning stuff here!

Should be another nice mild day in southern oregon (after our usual morning fog burns off), so will get in a run at lunchtime today. and then tomorrow is company drinking . . .  bowling! Big grin

Tammy

Tramps

Holly--I like Jlynne's idea; the power of embarrassment.

MIke--So that's what the E stands for.  Wink  Congrats to your son.

When the alarm went off this morning, it was pouring rain with thunder and lightning so my run got delayed until lunch time.  8.1 with some striders (8:23)

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly--I like Jlynne's idea; the power of embarrassment.

I'm beginning to think duct tape may be the only answer...Roll eyes

Twocat – what kind of dogs?  Hopefully the travel break will your owies and fix them.

Jlynne – happy painting!

MikeE – brag away!

2 slow and gentle miles this morning, followed by 35 minutes of Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps.  No core work this week, so as not to agitate this sore hip muscle, which seems to be slightly better.

Back to work….

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Holly - do you need some duck tape?

10 miles while watching Rage in Harlem (MCMXCI) in the cardio cinema this morning.  Robin Givens - body - hot, actress - not.