Masters Running

Two's-Day Nov. 25th Runs and Rests (Read 794 times)

evanflein

JLynne, I can relate! A few years ago (gym rat phase of life, pre-running) I was working out hard 6-7 days a week, and doing weights 3-4 times a week (mostly Nautilus, some free weights). I wasn't fanatical about my diet but did eat mostly high fiber/low fat foods. I weighed between 129 to 132 and was cut beyond belief. My body fat measured less than 10% on the bio-impedence meters used at the gym (not on a scale, but measured on your arm). I was, in looking back on it, too thin but oh boy was I in shape! Then I got bored with the gym and started running. Did both for awhile, then just running with maybe one day of XT a week. Over the next 3 years or so, I've gained over 10 lbs. even with running 40-50 mpw. I do know I eat more, but I don't eat junk, hardly ever sweets, I don't remember what ice cream tastes like... *sigh* It's hard. I love running, but it does make me hungry. DH says I eat way more than him on a regular day, even more after long run days. I could never keep tracking data the way Lou does. I do journal my food intake sometimes, helps me get back on track, but I tire of it after a few days.

Renee the dog

OK, the kids are almost asleep, Mr Nono is here and it has stopped raining! On my way out to run with Renee shortly. The knee: for about a week, here and there, around the house, my leg is bent and I will feel it. The knee cap. Kinda sore. Not painful. I foam rollered myself silly this morning and also did a yoga routine, so I'm hoping for a good run. Eating and all that: I must have a higher than average metabolism. I eat like a linebacker, drink like a sailor, and run only 20 something mpw. I'm 5'4" and weigh 130 lbs. I should way a heck of a lot more, esp. being pre-menopausal. ( Roll eyes ) I think it's all the hot sauce. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

TammyinGP

Lovely chart WRFB Big grin No Turkey Trot for me. I was going to do one, but it's about 45 miles away and they have such odd distances - either 2 miles or 8 miles. Well, with driving time, I don't really want to be gone as long as it would take me to do 8 miles and just running 2 miles isn't really worth it to me. So, my running partner and I are going to meet up Thurs a.m. for our own Turkey Trot - probably 5-6 miles. Then I won't feel so bad about the pumpkin and pecan pie I plan on sampling that afternoon Surprised So, I had a podiatrist appt this a.m. He took the insoles that I use in my running shoes (New Balance motion control insoles) and made some modifications to give me a bit more lift/arch support on the right foot. While walking, he noticed I overpronate quite a bit on the right and have a tendency to walk with that foot 'outwards' a bit. He did not want to go towards custom orthotics for me yet, as he wants to see if just making these slight modifications will help me. He did recommend reducing my running for a while to about 1/2 of what I would normally do and just see how things go. Also gave me some stretches I need to do faithfully as my AT and calves are pretty tight. I think doing yoga more regularly would definitely benefit me.

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Also, I got an e-mail from the race director about likely weather conditions, which I thought was awfully nice. 30s-40s with showers; could be worse.
          As if you weren't already checking the forecast every two hours! Big grin

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I remember very clearly when we decided to lose the weight in 2002. I was appalled at my weight which had crept up 10-15 pounds in the previous few years. I was running (some), but of course not nearly enough to eat whatever I wanted. I think that would be about 200 miles/week. So we both did the calorie counting thing, aided by some software that helped to track everything. I remember that my allowed calories in order to lose 2 pounds/week was 1155. We lost most of the weight within a few months by strictly tracking and limiting calories, and Lou kept up the diary far longer than I did. I don't think either of has varied more than a few pounds either way in the last six years. We've never gone back to our old habits of regularly eating too much of the wrong foods, though we are able to indulge occasionally as long as we're running a reasonable amount. I agree with Dark Horse (uh oh). It is all about eating fewer calories than you burn. And since most overweight people aren't in good enough shape to burn many calories in exercise, the equation is 90% about eating and only 10% about exercise. Exercise is a good idea of course, and will become a bigger part of the equation as the individual becomes more fit, but it isn't a primary consideration at first. And certainly the inability to exercise much, for whatever reason, should not be an excuse not to lose weight. (I've heard that one too). All the rest of it, carb/protein balance, special foods and diets, "fat-burning" hoo-ha, time-of-day, etc has very minor impacts. So minor that they just distract the individual from the real goal of NOT EATING AS MUCH. I like to say that losing weight is really very simple, but not very easy. I ran 7 miles this morning in much warmer temps. Tomorrow will be a rest day to get ready for Thursday's 5k.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Marathon Maniac #957

30s-40s with showers; could be worse.
              Personally I can't think of much worse conditions for a marathon, other than maybe gale-force winds (which may or may not come with the showers anyway), and/or hail or locusts or other Acts of God. But I'm sure you'll be fine. Roll eyes

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I think weight loss is a simple calculation calories in minus calories out. If that calculation is positive, then weight will be gained. If negative, weight will be lost.
                Lou, exactly.
                I agree with Dark Horse (uh oh). It is all about eating fewer calories than you burn.
                Confused

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tramps

Personally I can't think of much worse conditions for a marathon
                  Uh, mid-60s at the start and very humid? (Hmmmm....where have I heard that before? Wink) 30's-40s is perfect for me; showers, not so much. It'll be great weather; I'm due.

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Don't know what I'm doing today. Prudence would call for another day at the gym, maybe elliptical.
                    Is Prudence your new trainer? Smile

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

PDR and WRFB, you guys are fortunate that you were counting calories at the same time, so you could support each other. Much easier that way than doing it solo, or even worse, with a SO who sabotages your efforts. Co-workers who bring in donuts don't help, either. Tongue In my family, all 3 of us are naturally pretty thin, so we don't count calories, but we try to prepare healthy meals. I've also found that the best way to avoid unhealthy foods is to NOT BUY THEM. This sounds so obvious, but a lot of folks probably miss this very easy strategy. They buy chips and ice cream, and then try not to eat them.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I've also found that the best way to avoid unhealthy foods is to NOT BUY THEM. This sounds so obvious, but a lot of folks probably miss this very easy strategy. They buy chips and ice cream, and then try not to eat them.
                        That's my problem!! This version of treadmill lungs makes a lot more sense to me than what was described in Prevention. I might be able to do these since they recommend hanging on and going much slower. The others - forgetaboutit!! http://video.aol.com/video-detail/treadmill-walking-lunges/3851175613 Where is Tim Bo today??

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

TammyinGP

I'm on the fence about the whole thyroid/weight loss issue. Normally, I would say that's just a crutch people use, and for many people, I'm sure it is, but having known in real life a couple people that really did have a low thyroid issue, I think there is some truth to that factor. A good friend of mine, after 3 children, put on about 50 lbs over the years. When her youngest was 5, she decided enough was enough and wanted to lose the weight that she'd been struggling with. She has a TM and used it daily (walking, not running) and she logged EVERY BIT OF FOOD she ate (never more than about 1100-1200 cals). She went on a 30 day sugar fast - no white breads, no sugars, etc. she really was eating VERY healthy (she shared her log with me so I saw what she was eating), and she could not lose ONE single pound. Her and I talked about thyroid issues and I told her she should get a full blood panel done. She saw her doc, tested her and she had a very low thyroid. Put her on meds for it, she felt amazingly better and started losing weight, even though she was eating more than the 1200 cals from before, but still getting in her 30 min of exercise/walking a day. I think there are some people who really do have hormonal imbalances that impede their ability to successfully lose weight. I don't think that's the case for everyone though - but for some, yes,

Tammy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I agree with you Tammy 100%.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                            It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I've also found that the best way to avoid unhealthy foods is to NOT BUY THEM. This sounds so obvious, but a lot of folks probably miss this very easy strategy.
                              An obvious strategy, but one that a lot of people seem to ignore. Weight Watchers helped me get on track with the eating healthier/eating less. It sucked having to figure out the points for everything, but it did teach me what a normal portion is, and how if you want that piece of chocolate cake at the party, you can't have the French fries at lunch. On the flip side, it was very hard pulling myself out of the WW mind set enough once my activity level increased to fuel the running. Right now I'm battling about a 5 to 7-pound weight gain that's attached itself to me over the last couple of months. It's been tough balancing the input/output, and fueling myself enough to sustain my mileage. Blush
                              The Irish Red is fermenting nicely, thanks. Ales ferment faster than lagers. Irish Red is an ale. Ales take about a week to ferment, and another week to "finish". Then I force carbonate in a few days. So 2.5 weeks from grain to glass. This can go just a bit faster for low gravity beers -- e.g., bitters, milds, etc. Lagers take about a month or six weeks, due to fermenting at a lower temperatures and "lagering" which essentially means letting the flavors clean up in very cold temperature.
                              Lou - My hub's in love with you and doesn't even know it. Wink Also, your chart had me reeling with dizziness. Goodness, that's a lot of info!
                              I impulsively bought the Prevention magazine. There is an article in there about how to increase your workout to burn 60% more calories. One of the things in this workout is turning the belt down to 2.5 or 3.0 mph, incline at 15% and do lunges for 2 minutes!!!
                              Lordy! Who's stupid idea was this? Aamos, if I tried that and fell and hurt myself (which undoubtedly would happen), could I sue the inventor? Smile 5.25 miles with hill repeats this a.m. with the following break down of "laps" (pace/hr): 1. 10:03/137 2. 9:24/154 3. 9:05/157 (.68 miles - bathroom break. Turned off Garmin) 4. 10:43/152 (hill repeats started somewhere in here) 5. 12:07/150 6. 11:49/152 (.57 miles. Finished repeats, about .20 back to starting point/cool down area) Doggone bathroom break just about threw everything outta whack. The web site for run I'm doing next weekend has put in a Google Earth flyover of the course: http://www.othtc.com/ultra/index.htm. Pretty cool! Somehow I clicked things too many times and was moving really fast over the landscape. Almost made me nauseous.

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hi all y'all. . . Delurking just to mention that I tried out the walking lunges on the tread mill today. Walking lunges with hand weights or with a bar in the Smith Frame are a normal part of my weight routine, but I hadn't tried them on the belt to nowhere before this. My verdict is - FUN and challenging. I used a 15% incline at 2 mph and held on as I lunged for ten minutes. I think I will make these a normal part of my routine. I found them cardio-intensive but was able to maintain good form because of the stability offered by holding on. Give 'em a try! Back to lurk-mode.