Masters Running

40s On the Run - It is the One Who Endures . . . (Wk of 05/25/08) (Read 463 times)

While you all wait with bated breath for my eagerly anticipated RR ( Big grin), here's a coupla pics to look at. I'm in the pink, Karen's in the orange. http://www.pbase.com/gtach/image/97699242 http://www.pbase.com/gtach/image/97699236

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Great RR, Cindy! Sounds like a super-fun day, made me want to go do BB some time. Those are some hardcore pics, Leslie...looks like you had some interesting, messy conditions. Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Going through the album Leslie....those are some KEWL shots the photograhper got! Beautiful area!!! & I noticed that you & Karen don't look nearly as muddy as some others..... Shy
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Bolder Boulder a well oiled machine. We got into town early afternoon and hit the Boulder Running Company did the treadmill gait analysis. Just getting started I heard some comments from the back of the room and turned to see 2 guys from my home town, one a farmer and one a banker who brought their wives to the race and themselves to drink beer. Anyway we walked the downtown expo a little but way too many people for me. Still too early to turn in we decided to drive the course and found a few more hills than this flatlander is used too. I had Lynda text MtnChk "drove the course, hills, I'm skerd!!" to which she replied "your not in ks anymore Dorothy" which had us rolling but truth was we were more than a little concerned about the altitude and the hills. We woke up way before the 5 am wake up call and walked and ran a little about 2.5 miles to the startfrom our hotel. Lynda saw someone taking pictures, framing the course with the Flatiron mtns behind, it was Jonathan, he was on the job. We chatted a minute and then got to the start as the wheelers were warming up, holy cow they can smoke! The winner in the mens wheelers was like 22 minutes. When I get nervous seems like water and coffee just run through me so hit the port-o's twice before the race. The first time had these 3 older women talking about this year at "Baaaston" and couldn't say more than one sentence in a row without the name drop and these gals didn't exactly look like Deena. They use a unique wave start with waves determined by a qualifying time in a previous race and/or by where you expected to finish. I found my wave and gave my jacket to Lynda.It was truly amazing watching the waves march ahead and start. A trumpeter playing "call to the post" signaled 30 seconds before your start and each time the gun sounded to the second of the projected starting time. In our group was a very sporting looking lady that was announced as completing every previous BB. Soon it was our turn, the call to the post then bang we were off. I found I could run my pace immediately without dodging others as the wave moved ahead seamlessly. I was being passed more than I passed but at no time did I feel crowded and I am one doesn't do well in crowds. The first mile was slightly downhill and I ran it fairly slow but without alot of percieved effort. As I warmed up I picked it up as felt natural and maybe slowed a little as the couse turned uphill. I felt pretty strong other than an urge to get rid of that half cup of coffee that should have been long through my system. I jerked open the first porto I came to on course with a green flag and some woman screamed,I didn't say a word but it was like Lady ya gotta latch the latch or no one will know your in there. So I continued on and a mile or two later found an empty one. Relieved I turned it up a bit and started catching people I passed earlier, going by some of the rock bands I was feeling the mojo as the course turned downhill about mile 4.5 for all but the last push. I got the same muscle spasm in my right trap(whats up with that) as I did in the 5k 2 weeks ago but nothing more than an annoyance. I was smoking about as fast as I could then wham I got the stitch of all stitches and I never ever get stitches. I slowed trying exhaling and pushing under my ribcage with pursed breath and it finally went away. I ran 1.5 pretty easy and passing alot and started up the hill catching a younger gal only to be dusted as we crested and came into Folsom Stadium to a cheering crowd. Its an amazing feeling. I was too busy trying to find myself on the jumbotron to realize I crossed the finish. You move right on through to the fieldhouse and they hand you your lunch, redeem your beer coupons etc, just like clockwork. After I went into the stadium to meet up with some hometowners as the rain showers began in earnest and got pretty cold and wet. Lynda had the access to the mobile locker (note to self, earliest finisher gets the locker). I hid out in a warm bathroomfor 10 minutes or so til my tech shirt dried then went back out and did pretty good til Lynda came in. Paula the local prep x-country coach spotted Lynda by her hair as she finished, Lynda has naturally curly hair that gets pretty big in a drizzle. We headed to the expo met up with Cindy and hub and decided warm clothes and food overuled the festivites at Folsom. We had some good food, good beer, good company the perfect winddown to an incredible experience. I was hoping to get under 60 minutes, I had run only one other 10k last summer in 62 and change. Maybe without the stitch, and p break I might have been a little faster but I was very happy with my finish. http://raceday.onlineraceresults.com/individual.php?bib=EB461

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Queen of 3rd Place

r2 - WOOT! Nice job, your trend was for negative splits! Except for the potty stop Wink And a SMOKIN! PR!! You took, what, about 7 min off your previous time? That race sounds like it might be worth a trip, even if it's "just" a 10K. I can't believe that many people show up for a 10K! Leslie's up next... Arla

Ex runner

Fabulous race report Farmer Jim....read it a couple of times to make sure I didn't miss anything. Way to go! Glad that "stitch of all stitches" went away rather quickly. Those can get ugly if you can't control it. Sounds like you knew what to do. Super nice pics Leslie....that trail looks alot more inviting then that last race you did. That last race looked more like mountain climbing. These look like beautiful trails for running. We're heading out this evening to attend my daughters H.S. graduation. I'm gonna bring a pocketful of tissues! My other daughter will be a Sr. next year so it'll be her turn. I'm so proud of them! Jewels
              But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                Okay, guys, here it is: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MastRun/Forum/Post/8851fdff918940a487d7c288f979fb2e#focus Farmer Jim - Great report! It sounds like the run was a blast. Need to be thinkin' about that whole sash thing for next year . . . .

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Wow Leslie! Just.....WOW! you give new meaning to HTFU!!! I'm such a wuss! Undecided
                  r2 - WOOT! Nice job, your trend was for negative splits! You took, what, about 7 min off your previous time?
                  You think!? If you really wanna be impressed, you should check out the elevation profile!http://www.bolderboulder.com/Assets/_assets/pdf/BB_Elevation_Profile.pdf R2 definitely had his "super hero" underwear on for this one!!!
                  That race sounds like it might be worth a trip, even if it's "just" a 10K. I can't believe that many people show up for a 10K! Arla
                  Big grin Smile Wink think about it!.... btw: I modified earlier post to include the pictures... Aaahhhh, Jewels! Cry Smile Cool {{{{{sending extra Klenex & Hugs!}}}}} .....Hugely windy here today....just doesn't even look interesting for running to me! well, it did this morning - while I was @ work!! Sad I'll take the rain any day over wind! On the other hand, I had no needed recovery from this one..nothing sore or stiff (a little tired, but I think that's more lack of quality sleep)....ready to run, just don't like the weather.....supposed to be nice @ 5:30 (AM Wink ) .....
                  Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

Leslie, wow I read your report with Lynda reading over my shoulder and we both kept saying oh my gosh, oh my gosh and those pics, those are hard core for sure. I'm sure you learned so much from this one with hydration and liquid nutrition. Really cool that Russ ran you in. Have you seen the shirt DFL>DNF>>DNS, I so want one of them. And again a huge congrats! Cindy you got some great pics and did a super job describing the race course and activites along the way. Sure fun to have you guys around to debrief with. It was a hoot. Also good job to you and Doug on your race finishes, I think Doug is a natural!! If you want to put on your therapist hat and have any ideas on why I get that muscle spasm in my trap muscle on the right side I'd sure appreciate it. Arla it was a blast, ya ought to do it. The tremendous organization they do on that race takes away all the typical frustrations. Jewels thanks for the encouragement and good luck tonight and congratulations on doing such a good job raising those girls. Jonathan sent me a bunch of BB pics really cool but suppose they are property of RT so I don't think I can post them but Cindy did such a good job you can savor the flavor of the event. Some random comments that you guys will understand if the general public can't. We got really some strange responses sometimes from people when they asked how we spent the holiday. Its like they asked but really didn't want to know when you told them that you ran a 10k or in Leslies case a whopper 50k trail race. I usually never volunteer any run stuff with people that don't run but if they ask I will tell them briefly and as honestly as possible. Some of the comments I got "did you win" uh no there were like 54,000 entries and 47,000 finishers, How did you do? I was 9648 out of about 47,000 finishers, their comment, "So you were out there running your little legs off in the thousands", with a snicker. Another comment to Lynda "you ran,what thats like 2 miles?" "I can't run anymore Its hard on my knees." kinda like if you could actually see your knees over your belly you might be able to, and no disrespect to anyone that has fought the battle of the bulge as I have also but to just give up then criticize that used to bother me. Now I just blow it off. Thats why it means so much with the support we get from this group and others that matter. We even got a congradulatory email from Jonathan today, and there he was interviewing Deena K over the weekend but still was so happy with our results and that he could help us. Oh and 2.8 slow miles this morn at recovery pace and I had to walk twice!! Big grin true, shall we say I'm a little sore Smile no injuries just a little tight and sore. Jim

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

If you want to put on your therapist hat and have any ideas on why I get that muscle spasm in my trap muscle on the right side I'd sure appreciate it. .
                      Shoot R2! I knew I shoulda worked on you right then!! put some heat on it for now....most times it's going to be elevated shoulders doing that....I'd really need to see your running posture to be sure, but I'm guessing you may tend to scrunch your shoulders a bit to be doing that.... Relax dude! & get a massage!

jfa

Holy Smoles you Guys!! Been away from the computer for a couple a days and what a blast reading this stuff! Don't know where to start so I guess it's got to be with the mileage Queen - Way to Go Leslie ~ you really toughed it out beyond comprehension!! Shocked Did you say 50k ??? Shocked Great pics and race report and you are officially the toughest cookie on the block ! All that training musta helped but mentally, wow !!! You Rock!! Cindy and Jim and Lynda- Fantastic reports and pictures from you guys too! And excellent race times!! Smile 54,000 people!! Man,that's alot! We're used to being crowded in our little state but Holy Cow! Sounds like it was very well run and organized! That race experience sure sounds like fun. Perhaps all of us "imaginary friends" should all meet there next year Cool That would be awesome! I'm really proud of all our racers. Like Jims says, most other people don't have a clue about running and just don't "get it". But we do, and have a great appreciation for the guts, stamina, and mental fortitude it takes to get through these things. We carry that through our everyday lives too, and it makes us much better people. Smile

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning Peeps! cool, calm, clear am.... Smile 53* F/63% H.....3.3 easy miles w/Mairead.....she's getting more & more confident....starting to pull a little, so I put the Gentle Leader harness back on...now she's confused....we'll keep working w/that.. Off to work. Laters, Have a Great Day Everyone!!! Smile Cindy

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - you're my hero! I can't imagine running 50K, much less on a muddy trail with unclear directional markers. Jim - interesting about the strange responses. I get the same thing should the topic come up, sometimes with the additional twist along the lines of "running's bad for your knees (or whatever)". When I tell people the scientific evidence is clear that running is good for your knees, I can actually *see* the doors of their mind slam shut. Arla

Ex runner

Ultrachick

Great RR you guys! BB sounds like a blast but way too many people for me-25,000 at Boston was too much. Leslie-Holy Cow! I almost started to cry (and it's not close to that time of the month for me!) for you. I'm so glad you didn't quit or you would still be crying! Once you get the nutrition figured out and a blister management system going you should never have to worry about making the cut off time again. Having KateMD there to help you too was awesome. Support crews are key to these events-especially newbies! You'll be riding this endorphin rush for a while! Jewels-congrats on your daughter graduating. Everyone else have a fabulous day. It's bluebird sky, sunshine and temps in the 70's here today. I'll be doing 6m later this evening once the kids are squared away to where they need to be. I'll a have RR for you next week. The trail marathon I'm doing has closed at 250 people-still a few too many but I'll manage. Kelly
                              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
                                Well, after being unable to get on the computer all day because our internet was down, here I am. I was having withdrawals! Didn't run today as I am having an issue with . . . um . . . my bum. Roll eyes This happened to me a couple of weeks ago a few days after our longest run before the race. Let's just say I am having horrific flashbacks to my baby-hood days and diaper rash. Shocked Ho-lee crap! It freaking hurts! I'm contemplating taking an entire box of Imodium in the hopes of stopping any bowel transactions for the next few days. If you guys are interested, here's another perspective of my run with Russ, the guy who paced me in the last couple of miles of my race. Made me cry! http://webmail.suddenlink.net/do/redirect?url=http%253A%252F%252Ftherustyboy.blogspot.com%252F2008%252F05%252Fdammit-blogger-hates-formatting-from.html Later, All!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance