Masters Running

Saturday, July 7 Steamy Runs (Read 366 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Another triple digit day on tap for us here - extremely unusual for us to be this hot.  I think it was the summer before last that we never actually hit 90 degrees even once.

DD and I went to the outdoor concert last night - her first concert, and had a great time.  The band was an 80's tribute band, with funny antics, great costumes, and fun, upbeat songs.  DD is already asking me when we can go again. 

At this venue, the lawn slopes down to a wall, which drops 3-4 feet to an aisleway, then there are seats below that.  We always sit on the lawn right by the wall.  Since we brought a spray bottle of water to cool ourselves down, DD and I started discreetly spraying people as they walked by the aisle below us.  Feeling the water, they would look around for the source (while we tried to stifle our laughter).  I don't know what DD's friend's parents must have thought of me, but I thought it was hilarious.  It was 102 degrees - I don't think anyone minded.

No run yet. We have to take the car to drop off to see what yet another problem is - hopefully it won't be an expensive one - and then take DS to his driver's ed class.  I'll hop on the TM for a few easy miles when we get back.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Holly..Spotty showers?  LOL

Steamy for sure... geesh just like NC in MI.  83F and 75 dew point at 6 am!  Cut planned 13 miles to 10 miles. Nice and slow, stopping at a water fountain twice. Cooling off tomorrow finally after another humid upper 90's today.

It's been a really hot week with a storm run on Tuesday (sirens went off 5 miles from home but made it without a lightning hit!). Then a 1 mile race PR (6:36) on Wednesday. More storms today as the front approaches. Between all the fireworks and storms this week our dogs were pretty freaked. Wild week!

I haven't posted in awhile. Hope everyone is ok.  I'm still running everyday (690 days, 5,405 miles).... nothing injured Big grin

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

...Par-Tayyyyy/////

sounds like

the makings of a Great Weekend Holly

========

hitting triple-digits here too,

currently

in Drought Conditions,

but

not Severe like last year

24min poolrun,

at room temperature

another done on the 4th, in 107-degrees in SIL's pool

hopefully a trailrun Sunday

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Went in for bloodwork follow-up this week and my Liver Function Tests were normal.  Now let's see what they can do about my personality.

A great run this morning, overcast so bring on the rain.  5 miles easy and then 6 strides of 100m.  A typical run but this time I found an extra gear and did some of the strides in 19 seconds!!!

DS is back from the parade in DC.  Later today we go to spend the weekend with DD at the church camp where she's a counselor.  Could life be any better?

mta-Mariposai, I can definitely picture you doing the tango!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mariposai

I haven't posted in awhile. Hope everyone is ok.  I'm still running everyday (690 days, 5,405 miles).... nothing injured Big grin

yes, and you were missed every day you did not post. Glad to see that you are still running every day!

Pirate, I am thinking to start pool running next week when the digits gets too high for a comfortable run.

Holly, how fun! Your daughter will always remember her first concert. Your DS is already old enough to start driving lesson? wow...where did the time go?

{{{Erika}}} downsizing is always hard, believe me, I have been doing that myself for the last 6 months and I have only 27 years to accumulate things. Take care of that ouchie!

Econo, it is so great to see you, ohhh trout-slapping queen!!!

Last night after dinner, I drove the half hour to Tonasket for my third tango lesson. I hesitated to go because it was so hot and I was exhausted, but I am glad I did. Last night Mr. Broom was replaced by my dear friend Dr. Ute who joined me last night. We sure had so much fun! 

Running: 5:30am; 70F; 4 miles with my DH. Smiling the whole time Smile

Now off to a healthy youth fair at the park that I am organizing. We are expecting a lot families! Got a band for kids to play for free...hurray Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Only 2 miles today but they were both pain free. This is my first pain free run since injuring my calf and I am going to take it slow.  For anyone who wants to get the full flavor of the kilt run I did someone posted a very good quality video on youtube. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Ffeature%3Dplayer_embedded%26v%3DtTUuFmW_lLo&h=OAQFR5ji1AQFFmI0xoDPoDDkTaVpnX3aA0UAyPwJEgbThZg

King of PhotoShop

Took Riblet to my club race today, a tenK. He has not run this distance yet this year so I asked him if he would pace me. In reality I was really going to pace him so he could run the race steadily.  He did just fine, no walking.  We didn't fare so well in our AG's with a 58:27 (9:25 pace or so) but it was just so wonderful that he got out there with me and ran, one of my happiest days.

I introduced him to many of my friends and got only 3 "Is this your grandson?" comments, but as he is 50 years my junior it doesn't bother me at all. Great start to my weekend.  Spareribs

King of PhotoShop

I'm the slightly older one in red, white and blue.

Spareribs

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Love the photo of Ribs and Riblet!!!! What a great day, indeed!

0520. 82F. 86%

Thought I should run 11 miles but decided to make it an even dozen.

I am happy with my nice, slow, and even pace. Felt pretty okay the whole way.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Bushrat Runner

It isn't very steamy here. And yesterday wasn't much of a Fry-day either. But we think it is nice weather, cool with highs in upper 50's or lower 60's mostly. But not too windy, not too rainy...just right. Great for running. Not sure what is on tap for today, but yesterday I decided it was time to start working on some occasional quality. I've been just putting in slow miles getting the legs back in the game, but yesterday I ran my commute and did a solid, hard 2 mile run each way. Felt hard...but good...

So far I've done better at getting miles in this summer than I usually do. We'll see if it persists. If I get a moose early, I might show up at Tony's Run or Equinox, that would be cool.

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Yes, I agree, great pic of Ribs and Riblet!

I was picked up at 6:20am by Dominique (the international ultrarunner who I ran with last week) and we headed to the cliffs of the Palisades overlooking the Hudson River this morning. Got there with about 10 minutes to spare, and our group run started promptly at 7am. Here's a shot of all of us before:

Yes, that's the George Washington Bridge behind us. I found it ironic as we lined up for this shot, that the infamous K ended up standing right next to me. But what strikes me most about this shot is that I never feel myself to be as short as I am, compared to the rest of the crew. My friend Dom is the woman two from my left.

It really didn't feel that hot right there by the water, about 80F and middling humidity, as we set off UP to the road that we'd do our out-and-back. Somehow I found myself in the front of the pack and struck up a conversation with some of the guys I hadn't met before. It was a nice and easy 6.5 miles out, playing leapfrog with the other runners on the hills, them pulling away on the downhills and me catching and passing them on the ups. In fact that first hour passed by very quickly. But about two miles into the return, my stomach started acting up again [cue ominous music]. Only two more miles to the port-o-potties we passed on the way out, not that bad, right? Well I kept finding myself eyeing all the enclaves and big leaves as I passed by them, wondering if I'd have to get one-on-one with nature soon....

The rest of the group pulled away as I wasn't able to maintain my pace, but finally I saw the facilities at the top of the next hill. And they were clean and stocked, woohoo! Sometimes that's all you really need in life... clean and stocked...

Anyway, so I was back on the road again, 3 miles to go, and of course the rest of the group did not wait. No worries, I knew my way back. Even found a shorter FLAT dirt trail that we had run the last time I was there, and so I decided I should be kind to my legs and partake of the softer surface. The trail got me back to the parking lot at the start about a half mile too short, so I jogged a bit more to finish out my 13 miles. Aside from the 9 minutes or so that I stopped to use the facilities, my running time was 2:03:45 (9:31 avg pace). Only 10 seconds slower per mile than last week's run, but that one wasn't ALL hills. So all in all, I was very pleased with this run.

Not everyone completed the full 13 miles today. Some cut it short and turned back sooner. Here's the motley crew that survived for the finishing photo op:

Yeah, I get silly after I run. "How's my hair?" I was asking. Heh.

Thanks again for tolerating my nonsense yesterday. Don't know what got into me. Hopefully now it's out of my system for good! ShockedBig grin 

King of PhotoShop

OM, I like the bathtub picture better!

I don't know what it is about these Scandanavian authors but I enjoy any crime/murder mystery/thriller/police procedurals written by them.  I was so sad when i finished all of Henning Mankell's books, then the Stieg Larrson books, but two weeks ago I discovered Jo Nesbo and I am in absolute awe how good this guy is.   This has nothing to do with anything BTW.  Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

I don't know what it is about these Scandanavian authors but I enjoy any crime/murder mystery/thriller/police procedurals written by them.  I was so sad when i finished all of Henning Mankell's books, then the Stieg Larrson books, but two weeks ago I discovered Jo Nesbo and I am in absolute awe how good this guy is.   This has nothing to do with anything BTW.  Spareribs

Thanks for the tip.  I'm always looking for new authors.  Great picture of you and Riblet!

OM - great pics for you, too!  Glad you made were able to enjoy the run - very nice pace, too.

DD is having her birthday slumber party tonight, so I have spent the afternoon getting ready: baking birthday cake, going to Michaels for beads and such for a bracelet-making project, and filling 200 water balloons.  First we are going to Cox Arboretum to feed/chase/catch the turtles (DD's choice), then the water balloon toss, then bracelet making, then a few small (very careful) fireworks, then hopefully I can turn them loose downstairs and go to bed....Joking

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

CNY, nice run with your son.  evan, it's got to be tough for your folks to downsize and leave their long time home.  perch, nice, speedy mile race.  mari, nice you got to run with your husband.  Also, it's so special your son will visit your family in South America.  craneium, great on the pain free run.  ribs, great 10K with riblet and picture to prove it.  OM, I'm glad your group run went well (other than the necessary break) and that holly didn't have to intervene.

Nice long runs for perch, RCG, and OM.  Good job on the speedwork for opie.

This morning, it was in the mid 70s, humid, and there was a light wind.  I got in 6 miles at an 11:32 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

I'm the slightly older one in red, white and blue.

Spareribs

I triple love this picture!!! 

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard