Masters Running

Tuesday's Daily 8.19.14 (Read 42 times)

BlazinCajun

Wondering where folks are - Good Morning Peoples

Sounds like a good weekend all around. Congrats to Erika, DaveRibs and The Saint for great races this weekend

Passed the pace bunny today - been 150 days since I started back from my layoff. Nice treadmill workout this morning after so much sweat yesterday. Have a good one!

Andrew
    ------------------
    God, my Lord, is my strength;
    he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
    and enables me to go upon the heights.
    Hb 3:19

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I think there is a fine line between being inspired by what I read here and being awed into submission. "I ran some challenging marathons in June one year" just doesn't come up in conversation in most corners.       I have run one half marathon course, twice - once in 2009 and once in 2011, and have to remember that for me, that was a lifetime accomplishment.  Aye caramba!

BTY--I know the feeling.  But it keeps me going.  And I end up with a lot of ways to connect vicariously through all these over-achievers.

4 miles this morning in absolutely IRC.  52F and sunny.  I think I managed to keep speeding up as I went, as I managed to drop my average pace 30 seconds from first mile to the end.  Think I need to work a tiny bit of speed work into my runs and make sure I'm not getting into too much of a rut.

Any one willing to offer an opinion on the Kinvara vs Pureconnect?  I tried on the Kinvara on Saturday and it's one of the few shoes that felt as good right off the bat as all my brooks have in the past.  Thanks.

Morning, Blazin--good to pass the pace bunny.  I'm pretty sure I've given mine an insurmountable lead.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

I'm so far behind in what is going on here. It is amazing that it only take a couple a' days to get behind, mostly because everyone's lives are so full and fast.

Congrats on passing the pace bunny, BC! Sounds like your daughter and you both enjoy your runs together, which is exactly how you want it to be.

I hope the soreness from Saturday is just a memory now, Dave.

The kids aren't back to school here yet, Slo, but that's coming real soon. Fortunately for me, their bus schedules and my workout schedules don't cross. Kudos to you for even contemplating the cross-state ride. If it does hurt, it will hurt good, especially when you finish! BTW, congrats on the well-deserved publicity for you and the Human Powered League (what a great name!).

Marj, I'm so, so jealous of the time you and Henrun get to spend in the Berkshires - what a wonderful part of the country! Nice 10-miler on familiar turf yesterday.

Nice run for you and the Saint, Ribs. Thanks for the pop-in!

If the ache from swimming leads to good blackberry picking, Tet, then perhaps it isn't such a bad thing.

I'm glad you had a good vaca in Seattle, Tammy. Good luck to David in the upcoming CC season - I'm already looking forward to your reports of his races. Nice 15-er yesterday.

I'm glad that "normalcy returns" PBJ. I should be glad about that, shouldn't I?

I'm glad your weekend trip to the boat races was fun, Holly. Nice E-Z 6 yesterday.

And good 8 for you, Tselbes in cool (for August) weather.

I don't know about you, but running with bats has never been a goal of mine, C-R! I'm pretty sure (sound familiar?) that our bat is really gone this time. Congrats on the new brewery coming to your area next year.

Nice 6-miler, Roch. Enjoy the IRC while you've got it. Don't worry about the coming winter because no one knows what we'll get, and there isn't much to be done about it. Tri guys (and girls) always amaze me too, with how they can go all-out in 3 different and challenging sports in one race, and live to tell the tale. But we all also know that, with training, we could be there too.

Evanflein, I'm sorry to say that I haven't gone back to read your RR. But it seems you did well, which wouldn't surprise me. Take it easy on the recovery runs, breathe well, and enjoy the rest of your trip.

BTY, I'm often awed into submission (what a great phrase!) around here - so many talented, supportive, caring, and funny people. Take it easy with the hammy. Interesting observation on where your injuries show up. Mine are always, always on my right side.

Thanks for the tip on mothballs to get rid of bats, Steve. They also work on gophers/woodchucks - just throw some into the entrance of any tunnels you find. I wonder if they work on most rodent-type critters (or anything with a nose)?

No workout for me this morning, despite the IWC, because I have a racewalking training session this evening. Since I have a race on Thursday evening, a late-day workout will do me good. A niece and her girlfriend are coming for their annual visit this evening, and will be here till the weekend. They are great young women (in their 20s), and a lot of fun to have around, so we're looking forward to it.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Thanks for starting the daily BC.  I was just about to get the instruction manual out and figure out how to do it.

It was my Tuesday hill run morning.  Little bit on the humid side but I was doing a scaled back workout so I survived.  6.72 miles at an overall pace of 9:00/mile.  I only did 8 of the 15 runs up the hill.  My legs, especially the quads, are still sore from Saturday's half but I think I'll be ok by this Saturday's 10 miler.

I got my craft beer of the month shipment last night.  One of the selections was from a brewery in NC called "Duck-Rabbit Brewery".  It is run by a former university philosophy professor and he specializes in dark beers.  The logo is a picture that I am sure you have all seen that could be a duck's head or a rabbit's head depending on how you look at it.   I tried one last night that was pretty good.

Guess I better switch back to the work computer and get working.

Slo

Craft Beer of the Month...Sounds like a plan to me. Do they keep some of the selections seasonal as well?

A muggy sticky and slow 5+ miles this am. We haven't had much oppressive humidity, not that what we have now is...we just haven't had any really so there has been no acclimation. Kinda like getting punched in the nose.

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning - an overachiever reporting in!     And the first female - hmmm, seems like a lot of the wimminfolk here are overachievers!

Speaking of which, here's a picture I took of Erika on Sunday after her speedy downhill marathon, for those of you who haven't seen it on FB:

Some fine racing last weekend in RA-land!  Congrats to all!

Stumpy, I need to start some speedwork, too!  Yesterday afternoon I ran 8 miles around the neighborhood, and was feeling sproinky, so I picked up the pace on several of the uphills, and felt strong.  I was running Garminless, though, so I probably wasn't running as fast as I felt like I was.  Fun to pretend, though!

Happy trails, folks!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Erika has a pair of shoes just like mine!  This would be about the only thing in running that I would match with her. 

<<<over achiever, over-achiever>>> as some unnamed barefoot person might say.

and yes, you are, too, Carolyn.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

What a great picture of Erika!  Smiling after all that quad-burn!

BTY’s and Stumpy’s posts remind me of this:  In sociology there’s a theory of deviance called “differential association theory,” which is a fancy way of saying “Be careful who you hang out with because you’re likely to pick up habits from them—good or bad.”  (Every parent knows this, of course.)  I often think of this group when I’m teaching that material.  Hanging out here makes it seem perfectly normal to train for 50-mile race, run marathons at the drop of a hat, and run up and down mountains…all for fun.  You deviants!  

Intervals today: 5x800.  They went okay after I figured out that my Garmin kept beeping at me to go faster because I’d accidentally programmed the intervals at a 3:30 pace rather than 3:30 time.  

Be safe. Be kind.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

As has been said, y'all have been bizzee!!  I had some issues with internet coverage as I was out in the Black Hills, plus all the friends I stayed with are in the  midst of renovations/building projects......on Saturday, I even managed to trip over a string above a wood frame where folks were going to pour concrete for a path off the driveway.  (Good thing about being clumsy your whole life is you develop really decent falling/saving yourself techniques!)  And one of my hosts had to have 9 stitches in his finger......still, it was fantastic to reconnect with South Dakota chums.  They are really fine people.

Congrats to Karin for buying the business, and to Erika, Deez, Saint (woot!) Ribs, Dave.....o gosh, who'd I miss?  Sounds as if you had a neat run with Ryan, and the rest of it wasn't too shabby, either, Mike.   And congrats on passing that darn pace bunny, BC!

As far as making the cut-off in your upcoming race, Carolyn, don't you think the race adrenalin will give you at least an added boost?  I know I'll be rooting for you.

What Holly said, BTY...I have had hamstring problems, so I emphasize.  Take it easy.

Another Jay as host weekend.  Sounds as if this will be a most enjoyable one; have a super time.

Agreed that the Dave, tet and tw show is worth admission, it's too funny.  So it the term "Critter Fartleks," Steve.

I vote for Kinvara, Kevin, but that's only because it sounds fun to say "Kevin in Kinvaras."   sorry for the no help.  I'll shut up soon.

Any word from Enke?

Ah Starr, a little nightrunning is fun.  I think even better, actually, if you do it sober.  (I stopped drinking some whiles ago, but I prefer to use the term "lucid" instead of sober.   Wink

Thinking of your empty nest there, Mari and looking forward to the interesting things you will come up with to fill the time you may have a teensy bit more of now that college is started.  And thinking of you and your family, Karin, as DS makes the big leap forward into the world.

(<gulp>Wink.

So looking forward to following the Crim this weekend, Roch, Tslebs, and who else? and the Vermont meet up next month.

Totally surprised myself with 3 relatively speedy miles (9:08, 8:22; 8:09) this am, first run since the marathon Sunday.   Elaine Doll-Dunn, the RD of Leading Ladies, once again pulled off a memorable event....well, Elaine, God, and Elaine's go-to lady, the Blessed Mother Mary. (This was the 10th anniversary of the race. Wink  Honestly, the scenery down Spearfish Canyon Sunday was eye-popping.   I listened to Bach, Handel and some other sacred music for over the first hour of the run as I couldn't imagine anything else.  Then as the sun rose, just enjoyed the birds as they awakened.  Gorgeous day, superior race organization.  Still get the long stemmed rose and moistened towelette as you cross the finish line.  And a hug from a handsome guy if you want it.  [This could be a job for tet, some August if he wants to visit the Black Hills.]  Managed to squeak in with a just barely under 3:30.  About 10 minutes slower than 10 years ago, but then I lived nearby while now I live at sea level.....o yeah, and there's that age thing!

Good days to you all, and hello to twocat, Tramps, Leslie, and everyone I didn't get above.

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Mariposai

Great picture of Erika. Congrats on your AG win also.

Too much work, too much fun around here. I will come back later today to catch up. 10 miles for me yesterday plus 1 hour of gym. Today, I slept until 7 am .

Have a successful day, folks.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

oh Jay, you give me far too much credit! That was 15 miles of running sprinkled throughout the week, not in one day. lordy, i don't think I could even run a ten miler these days!

Is there a pace snail? because I might have passed it when I went over 300 miles for the year while in Seattle. 

Tammy

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Sorry - I didn't notice Erika's shoes.  I guess I need to study the photo some more.  Congrats, Enke!

Amy goes out and runs an 8 minute mile after a marathon last weekend - nice!

Jay - normalcy is a good thing.  Except that PBJster #1 goes back to USC on Friday.  That's 2500 miles away.

Workout this morning - fizzy lifting followed by intervals (5 x 1 mile @ 7:15) on the TM in the cardio cinema while watching X2.  It was an excellent distraction from the intervals.

Have a great day everyone.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tammy - you're doin' fine.

The non-trainer pace bunny is only at 284.6 miles.

BLACK HILLS
                            Dear Amy,
                            She's not a runner but we thought she’d lost her senses when my sister moved there for some reason after college < <<(husband/husband)>>> but the Black Hills have been very good to her and her family. <<(skiing/golfing/hunting)>>>
                            I never met your RD friend Elaine but always wanted to do her DH’s 100-miler through the same scenic Badlands.  I ran with him for part of the 2000 San Diego Marathon when he was running 200 marathon distances here-and-there around the country to celebrate the bicentennial, duplicating each week’s marathon with several pre-race “training” runs on the same course.  With regard to the daunting cutoffs in most major ultras, he said, “don’t worry about our cut-off time, anyone who finishes is a finisher no matter when in our results.” Sorry it didn’t work out. Maybe you can do it for your next SD reunion!  I bet so many of your friends missed you.  They could be your pacers for 5-10 mile stints.  Maybe me too. 
                            Actually, I’ve been thinking of post-marathon career activities too but it would probably need too much plastic surgery to qualify for handsome finish line duties.  During our recent GS trip, grabbing the growing flap over my Adam’s apple, my 5-yo GS asked, “what’s that Papo?” <<<(gobble/gobble)>>> My actual idea is to find the most remote 100-milers around here and hike in the day beforehand (maybe several times) with as much water, etc. as I can carry for the runners to come.

ps CNY Karin - Somehow the strongest memories from my early-start ultra-running days are when the elites catch up running like a Tour d’France peleton without regard to the fact that it was uphill, usually very uphill.
                            In this regard, I recently saw a part of a video of the Mt. Blanc Ascent race your friend did..
                            The trail’s so narrow that runners depart like TdF time trialers every minute or so.
                            I’ll never forget two of the leaders sprinting up the final climb to the finish.
                            It was like the TdF’ers at the top of a monster hors d’categorie.
                            I hope your friends (and you) come out here again.
                            I’ll have water, etc. at mile 75, . . .
                            or whatever you want.
                            OVER-ACHIEVERS
                            Not surprisingly, when they kept running into each other at the two-or-three marathons a year around here back in the late 80's/90's, a couple of the early Marathon Maniacs formed the “Marathon Over-Achievers” for runners who’d run or were aiming at at-least 30 marathons in their lifetimes.  What a difference a new century makes as I’ve already run part of various marathons with five runners who’ve already exceeded 1,000 marathons.
                            ps - I think I like Tramps’  “deviants” better though. Smile

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Tammy - you're doin' fine.

The non-trainer pace bunny is only at 284.6 miles.

yay! Can't think of better company to have in the non-trainer pace bunny group. Let's hit the hottub! 

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

how about a 50-state hot tub club.

Now, that's retirement!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)